Black or Modern Steel Metallic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black or Modern Steel Metallic?

I have owned two black TLs...1st. one a 2002 Type S and my current '05 TL (best body style ever for the TL, IMO.) Black is a favorite color of mine for cars but I'm considering the Modern Steel Metallic...one reason for a change and two to not show dirt, swirl marks from detailing, etc. I just don't want to be a couple of months into ownership and regret my choice. Any opinions that could get me off this fence?

Added: My plan is to get an RDX.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Graphite was my favorite, at least among those colors available with black interior.
The following users liked this post:
silental (01-16-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
MSM is a very nice color and will not show swirls, etc like Black.....

It is, however, a personal choice......you may like a change of pace and appreciate it every time you walk up to your new vehicle.
silental (01-16-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 06:04 AM
J37A5

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I like black myself, but the ZDX is AWP and it is growing on me fast. I'd go with MSM if I were buying an RDX. I love black, but it does not seem to love me back, even after all of the effort to keep it clean and looking as it should.
silental (01-16-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hondaownerforlife
i like black myself, but the zdx is awp and it is growing on me fast. I'd go with msm if i were buying an rdx. I love black, but it does not seem to love me back, even after all of the effort to keep it clean and looking as it should.

Also...can't beat metallic paint.

Last edited by silental; 01-02-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:55 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
A black car is a part time job if you want to keep it looking decent, especially if you live in the snow belt.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:22 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I suggest the MSM. I wish my GF had picked the gray instead of black. The paint is pretty soft and shows everything.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
To me the present grey is too light. I would go black.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Modern Stellar and light interior.

Black is a problem color. Honda seems to use the same light shade of primer. Black will show far more scratches when they hit the primer. Modern steel and light tan interior is beautiful combo.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
To me the present grey is too light. I would go black.
Are you talking about the "Lunar Silver Metallic" or the "Modern Steel Metallic"? I will NEVER buy another silver car!!!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:25 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by silental
Are you talking about the "Lunar Silver Metallic" or the "Modern Steel Metallic"? I will NEVER buy another silver car!!!
I am not sure what it is called. I know the dark grey they had in 2016 was replaced by a lighter gray, that's what I am speaking. I if they had the dark gray I would have taken that when I bought my 17. As I needed a change from Black, I went blue.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:03 PM
Advanced

2016 colors:
2016 Acura RDX Exterior Paint Colors and Interior Trim Colors | Autobytel.com

2017 colors:
2017 Acura RDX Exterior Paint Colors and Interior Trim Colors | Autobytel.com

To me it looks like 2017 Modern Steel Metallic [Gray] looks as dark as the 2016 Graphite Luster Metallic [Gray]. (I know these are just color chips on a computer. )
Old 01-14-2017, 09:00 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Three of our last four cars have been black. Well, "her" cars. My TLX is Black Copper Pearl. I suggested something different but no-o-ooo, black it was. Sigh. No gray interiors, very depressing, otherwise the MSM looked intriguing.
silental (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 02:27 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Also...can't beat metallic paint.
Can you tell me what is the advantage of metallic paint in real-life Honda-Acura terms?

I was in the showroom today and of course the black looked wonderful but I've had black for 20 years.
My wife keeps pushing for white which looks good but doesn't feel like "me".

I liked the MSM but she saw a purplish cast in it. (the BMW dark grey is nicer imho)

Is the metallic paint harder/stronger in resisting swirls etc?
silental (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 07:30 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cheffip

No, its not harder. The clear coat is the top layer and that is what gets scratched and swirled.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:47 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by cheffip
Can you tell me what is the advantage of metallic paint in real-life Honda-Acura terms?

I was in the showroom today and of course the black looked wonderful but I've had black for 20 years.
My wife keeps pushing for white which looks good but doesn't feel like "me".

I liked the MSM but she saw a purplish cast in it. (the BMW dark grey is nicer imho)

Purplish color comes from the artificial lighting at the dealership. It looks normal in the daylight.

On white, my wife refers to it as Kenmore White. Ouch. So there we were, no white, no silver, no gray, no blue, no wine red. That left black. Sigh... (All three of the family RDXs are black, one son just liked black for his, the other son bought our black '13 Tech.)

Swirls are not a particular concern to us, this is a "working" car, the one that gets us around, not one to get-out-the-lawn-chair-and-sit-in-the-driveway-and-admire-it car.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:56 AM
Racer

At least in my area, over the last couple years, white seems to be getting at least as popular as black. I think many people are just getting a little tired of black and want a change. Me included. Having said that, it still feels weird to be owning a white vehicle.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skidoor
No, its not harder. The clear coat is the top layer and that is what gets scratched and swirled.
Thanks skidoo and everyone else who replied.

So is there any advantage to metallic paint? Why do Bimmer owners pay another $1000 to get it?
Old 01-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Racer

The only advantage to metallic paint is that it looks nicer than non-metallic. Don't think that metallic paint actually has metal in it. I don't think it does. It's just "metallic looking" flakes they add to the paint. Not real sure the flakes are made of metal. I thought most colors (except maybe white) are at least somewhat metallic. And regarding your question about Bimmers, based on my observations of how they drive, I'd say 59% of Bimmer drivers have more money than brains so maybe that helps.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:23 PM
Advanced

The only advantage to metallic paint is that it looks nicer than non-metallic. Don't think that metallic paint actually has metal in it. I don't think it does. It's just "metallic looking" flakes they add to the paint. Not real sure the flakes are made of metal. I thought most colors (except maybe white) are at least somewhat metallic. And regarding your question about Bimmers, based on my observations of how they drive, I'd say 59% of Bimmer drivers have more money than brains so maybe that helps.
I could not agree more...unless thinking of a higher percentage. And then there's that percentage who drive like a**holes because a Bimmer comes with the "entitlement".

I'm still on the fence re MSM or black...so my thinking now is which one will I have regrets or second guesses more after a couple of months (weeks?) of having chosen. This makes me lean toward black as my choice. Oh the humanity!!!!

Last edited by silental; 01-15-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Metallic paints look very different to standard paint and in some cases really are worth the price increase. You can't mix up gloss with metallic and you are right that it is just shiny flakes they add to the paint. In sunlight metallic paint can make a car absolutely pop while a more solid colored car will not. I personally prefer metallic paint because after I spend 3 hours washing and waxing and basically giving my car and complete spa day, I want to see the results, not simply shine, but also sparkle. On some cars, the metallic paint allows the car to take on 2 completely different colors based on if they were in the sun or if they were in shade. It just gives it another level of depth. With white cars, it is very difficult to get this metallic effect and is why you see the option of pearl white vs metallic white. I absolutely despise that grainy yellowish beigey color of white pearl paint.

I could not agree more...unless thinking of a higher percentage. And then there's that percentage who drive like a**holes because a Bimmer comes with the "entitlement".

I'm still on the fence re MSM or black...so my thinking now is which one will I have regrets or second guesses more after a couple of months (weeks?) of having chosen. This makes me lean toward black as my choice. Oh the humanity!!!!
In my honest opinion you should avoid black as much as you possibly can. I had a dark blue RDX and it was horrible, I would spend hours keeping it clean (and man does it look stunning when clean) only to have it look like absolute shit 20 minutes later or after a couple minute drive in nice weather. It becomes a second job trying to keep it clean all the time, I currently own a silver MDX and I absolutely love it, very hard to see scratches and dirt and I am not as bothered when it is dirty as I was with the RDX. Now if you are willing to put up with the headache of dark paint, I really suggest you take a look at the fathom blue pearl RDX's, it looks stunning, especially in contrast to the chrome and silver bits of trim. The graphite luster has too much brown in it in my honest opinion.
silental (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 01:12 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
If you want black interior (and you should IMHO), you have to stay away from blue.
silental (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dirleton
If you want black interior (and you should IMHO), you have to stay away from blue.
Not doing blue. Will absolutely do black interior. So...thanks to the previous posts...am now leaning toward MSM. It's only a fricken RDX. LOL.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:26 AM
Instructor

MSM is really nice. In the showroom yesterday, I temporarily fell in love all over again with the black but I think MSM is a good compromise.
silental (01-16-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 05:06 PM
J37A5

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Not doing blue. Will absolutely do black interior. So...thanks to the previous posts...am now leaning toward MSM. It's only a fricken RDX. LOL.
My Blue on Black RDX
Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All about personal choice but having had 3 blacks cars, the only time they look good is right after a full wash and detail. Gray/silver looks great even a few days after a detail;.add some tint and the color will pop. I concur that a beije interior recommendation as well.
silental (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 11:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sagres74
All about personal choice but having had 3 blacks cars, the only time they look good is right after a full wash and detail. Gray/silver looks great even a few days after a detail;.add some tint and the color will pop. I concur that a beije interior recommendation as well.
Good thing to consider. I have never added tint to car windows. Gray and silver...to me...are boring...even though they may stay looking better (read: cleaner) longer than black after a wash or detailing. Tint just might be the answer! Can't wait to see what the 2018 colors are.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:26 AM
Racer

FWIW, my last vehicle (Murano) was a dark metallic blue with a tan interior. On paper that may sound like a weird combination but it didn't look weird in person.
silental (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Advanced

FWIW, my last vehicle (Murano) was a dark metallic blue with a tan interior. On paper that may sound like a weird combination but it didn't look weird in person.
I bet it was beautiful. I've gone through many stages of car colors since I grew up on the '60s when "Candy Apple" red was near or at the top of the list. Also many changes in paints...metallic, base coat/top coat, etc. I remember when I wanted a '70 Olds Cutlass, green with a beige vinyl top. Never had it. Did end up with a '74 Monte Carlo, silver with a black vinyl top. Man, did that silver fade!!! It all comes down to personal taste. When I see some cars on the road, my thought is, "WTF were they thinking?"
Old 01-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
I bet it was beautiful. I've gone through many stages of car colors since I grew up on the '60s when "Candy Apple" red was near or at the top of the list. Also many changes in paints...metallic, base coat/top coat, etc. I remember when I wanted a '70 Olds Cutlass, green with a beige vinyl top. Never had it. Did end up with a '74 Monte Carlo, silver with a black vinyl top. Man, did that silver fade!!! It all comes down to personal taste. When I see some cars on the road, my thought is, "WTF were they thinking?"
Ditto on the "what thd hell were they thinking" when seeing certain colors on the road. Some colors I truly think the owners must have been color blind and believe me, I am a fan of unordinary colors (I.e I don't stick to black, silver, white) but some are just nasty.