Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:18 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Battery

2016 RDX Advanced

After 15 months of ownership the battery went dead. Good news it was fully covered under warranty. There was no prior warning battery was defective. For convenience I elected to replace the battery myself. Before disconnecting terminals my voltmeter read 8.5 volts. So although the battery was not totally dead nothing worked at all including door locks. I had to the key stored in the key pod to open the car door. I pulled the battery the night before and went to the dealership the next day. Because I didn't have the car with me I had to buy the battery outright from the parts department and later that day when I returned with the car I was refunded the full amount. I was told if the dealer installed the battery there would be a charge but since i did the work this did not apply. I was also concerned since the car sat for over 12 hours with no battery at all that I would lose access to the radio, Navigation and Sirius. To my surprise when I installed the new battery a message came up on the radio that said to depress the on button for two seconds and let the card run for ten minutes to automatically reconnect the radio and navigation systems. After doing this everything reset to what it was before the battery died. The preset radio stations were restored, Nav, Sirius, one touch window and sunroof opening, all returned. Also the maintenance reminders were also restored as before. The only thing that did not restore was the trip reminder settings.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Acura batteries are ALWAYS weak from the factory..I wouldnt get another from the warranty...I would just buy a stronger battery and be done with it for 3-4 years.
you bet your new acura battery will only last 15 months again
The following users liked this post:
Skidoor (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 02:11 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Acura batteries are ALWAYS weak from the factory..I wouldnt get another from the warranty...I would just buy a stronger battery and be done with it for 3-4 years.
you bet your new acura battery will only last 15 months again
YMMV - I have had very very good luck with Honda / Acura Batteries. Current warranty replaced battery is still running strong at 5.5 years Don't know about the original battery as I bought the car as a CPO and just shy of two years.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
i always forget to add that..Your Mileage Will Vary.
my Kia sportage battery crapped out not even a year into ownership...went with a stronger battery, and it's been about 4 years now
Old 05-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
OEM batteries vary a lot. I had a 1998 Pathfinder that did just what your RDX did and suddenly died in a parking lot after being fine a hour before. It was diagnosed as a bad cell. MY 06 Z4's OEM battery lasted 6yrs and I am on my original battery in my '11 Tacoma. I think today's cars put a lot more strain on their batteries with all the electronics.

Last edited by chickdr; 05-11-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Carman3
2016 RDX Advanced

Before disconnecting terminals my voltmeter read 8.5 volts. So although the battery was not totally dead nothing worked at all including door locks.

I was also concerned since the car sat for over 12 hours with no battery at all
FYI, a battery at 11.4V, give or take a few tenths, is deemed "dead" by definition.

When you say "it sat for 12 months with no battery at all", do you mean with a dead battery installed or with the battery removed?
In any case, you should have had a battery maintainer connected to the battery while the car wasn't used.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You misread my original post.

I owned the car for 15 months and was purchased new off the lot. I use the car every day and had driven it about 2 hours before battery went dead. Battery was removed from car for around 12 hours before a new one was installed..
Old 05-14-2017, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

You misread my original post.

I owned the car for 15 months and was purchased new off the lot. I use the car every day and had driven it about 2 hours before battery went dead. Battery was removed from car for around 12 hours before a new one was installed..
Ooops, you are right. Sorry about that.

I wonder who makes the battery for Acura? There may be dozens of different labels on batteries in various stores, but there are only a few battery manufacturers that produce them.

Next I am wondering what the voltage cut-off is from the alternator's voltage regulator. On our 1990 Toyota and 1999 Honda, it was a perfect 14.4V at the spec'd ambient temperature.
I have a paper titled "Honda's Dual-Mode Charging System" that I have yet to read to see what that is all about. I am retired and no longer keeping up to date.

BTW, I got 16 and 15 years out of the original batteries in the vehicles above.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
2016 RDX Advanced

After 15 months of ownership the battery went dead. Good news it was fully covered under warranty. There was no prior warning battery was defective. For convenience I elected to replace the battery myself. Before disconnecting terminals my voltmeter read 8.5 volts. So although the battery was not totally dead nothing worked at all including door locks. I had to the key stored in the key pod to open the car door. I pulled the battery the night before and went to the dealership the next day. Because I didn't have the car with me I had to buy the battery outright from the parts department and later that day when I returned with the car I was refunded the full amount. I was told if the dealer installed the battery there would be a charge but since i did the work this did not apply. I was also concerned since the car sat for over 12 hours with no battery at all that I would lose access to the radio, Navigation and Sirius. To my surprise when I installed the new battery a message came up on the radio that said to depress the on button for two seconds and let the card run for ten minutes to automatically reconnect the radio and navigation systems. After doing this everything reset to what it was before the battery died. The preset radio stations were restored, Nav, Sirius, one touch window and sunroof opening, all returned. Also the maintenance reminders were also restored as before. The only thing that did not restore was the trip reminder settings.

Have my 2016 RDX Elite for about 19 months now and no battery problems at all
Old 05-16-2017, 05:38 AM
Burning Brakes

I took a few measurements yesterday.

Battery voltage after a day, engine off: 12.53V. That is a bit low, but may be that because I have been sitting in my new Acura RDX in Accessory Mode programming the radio and getting familiar with some features.

Battery voltage with the engine idling with no accessories selected: 14.28V at 20C (68F). That is fine and a good charging voltage.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
This seems to be a trend, the battery in my Subaru was also a very weak battery. Its worth noting that the car had a "cold weather package" which included headed everything but not a battery that would survive an extreme cold scenario.

So i guess its not just acura.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
My 2016 RDX has had no battery problems through I guess two winters in Canada now. Haven't had to change the battery or had any problems with it at all
Old 05-26-2017, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Perhaps I've been lucky - I've found that Honda/Acura batteries last until mid-winter of the third year of ownership when they die quickly and often inconveniently. On my current RDX it was a month after the dealer service organization stated that it was "good" on the multi-point check.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know makes the battery for our Acura RDX? Where did you get that info as I didn't see it on the label.

Last edited by Tech; 05-30-2017 at 11:38 AM.