Automatic Headlights - Wiper

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Automatic Headlights - Wiper

On my first rainy day with the RDX, I am quite sure that the headlights came on with the wipers, but I am not 100% sure. However today, they definitely would not come on with the wipers on and the lights in the auto position. I am particularly interested in what my Canadian peers have to say because we have the daytime running lights enforced and it may have something to do with this.

Anyone experience this?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
The wipers need to move a few times before the headlights come on in Auto mode. Did you let the wipers run long enough? I think this prevents your lights from coming on when you clean the windshield.

"The headlights automatically come on when the wipers are used several times within
certain number of intervals while the headlight switch is in "Auto".The headlights
automatically go off a few minutes after the wipers are stopped.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bh9712
The wipers need to move a few times before the headlights come on in Auto mode. Did you let the wipers run long enough? I think this prevents your lights from coming on when you clean the windshield.

"The headlights automatically come on when the wipers are used several times within
certain number of intervals while the headlight switch is in "Auto".The headlights
automatically go off a few minutes after the wipers are stopped.
Yes, they were running for about 15 minutes straight. Plenty more rain for tomorrow. I'l get another chance to try it.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by mikejmack
...Plenty more rain for tomorrow. I'l get another chance to try it.
Hey...so you are a weatherman all of a sudden?!? *lol* Leave the forecast to me - I can't afford to lose my job

On a serious note, I have a distaste for wipers so I just cover my windshield with RainX and never have to use the wipers. That stuff is just amazing!

The daytime running lights are always on and I never leave the light switch in the auto. I like to leave the light switch to off and just turn on my parking lights on during the day time to compliment the daytime running lights.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Hey...so you are a weatherman all of a sudden?!? *lol* Leave the forecast to me - I can't afford to lose my job

On a serious note, I have a distaste for wipers so I just cover my windshield with RainX and never have to use the wipers. That stuff is just amazing!

The daytime running lights are always on and I never leave the light switch in the auto. I like to leave the light switch to off and just turn on my parking lights on during the day time to compliment the daytime running lights.
Is it true you weathermen predict torrential rain knowing it will be a bright and sunny day just so you can get the golf course all to yourself?

On my serious note it is actually illegal here in NJ to drive with the parking lights on. They are only to be used while parking and actually required to be on while parking along a highway or in a park after dark. You would probably never get a ticket for those violations though except in a park.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GRDX
Is it true you weathermen predict torrential rain knowing it will be a bright and sunny day just so you can get the golf course all to yourself?
Damn it! We are busted...who told on us...who?!?!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Racer

Damn it! We are busted...who told on us...who?!?!
Larry David
Old 05-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Racer

Larry David and the Weatherman

" target="_blank">
HTML Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oX-8TbQhk0
Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 AM
Suzuka Master

LMAO!! That is too funny! Now I know why people don't like me.....
Old 06-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is something that I found out today, this is kinda cool. If the windshield wipers are on and you put the car in REVERSE, the rear wiper turns on, even if its set to off. I made sure it was on the "Off" position. While I was driving, it did not turn on. I backed into a parking spot with the front wipers on, and low and behold, the rear wiper turned on again. This is my first SUV, not sure if this is the norm with all SUV's, but I thought it was kinds cool.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by madrye28
Here is something that I found out today, this is kinda cool. If the windshield wipers are on and you put the car in REVERSE, the rear wiper turns on, even if its set to off. I made sure it was on the "Off" position. While I was driving, it did not turn on. I backed into a parking spot with the front wipers on, and low and behold, the rear wiper turned on again. This is my first SUV, not sure if this is the norm with all SUV's, but I thought it was kinds cool.
My old 2010 CR-V worked like that.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
LMAO!! That is too funny! Now I know why people don't like me.....
Meteorologist....the only profession where if you're right 15-20% of the time, you're considered a Genius! LOL.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:09 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So mikejmack, did you find out what happened? On my first rainy day with the RDX, the headlights definitely didn't come on with the wipers while the lights were in the auto position. It wasn't that dark out but was pouring hard. I thought it might because we have automatic daytime running lights enforced in Canada but then I did read it on my manual that the headlights should be turned on when wipers are working for a period of time. So now I am thinking maybe it's because I set my automatic headlights sensitivity at MID? I have changed the setting to HIGH and let's see if the lights will come on now..
Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The manual says if they swipe 5 times it will come on. Doesn't mention light sensitivity setting.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DC1018
So mikejmack, did you find out what happened? On my first rainy day with the RDX, the headlights definitely didn't come on with the wipers while the lights were in the auto position. It wasn't that dark out but was pouring hard. I thought it might because we have automatic daytime running lights enforced in Canada but then I did read it on my manual that the headlights should be turned on when wipers are working for a period of time. So now I am thinking maybe it's because I set my automatic headlights sensitivity at MID? I have changed the setting to HIGH and let's see if the lights will come on now..
I took it into the dealer and they weren't much help because they didn't know for sure. We tried another RDX on the lot and they didn't turn on either. The advisor was supposed to research it and call me back, which didn't happen. I will be calling back in a couple of days to find out what they discovered and will post the results.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MardiGras
Meteorologist....the only profession where if you're right 15-20% of the time, you're considered a Genius! LOL.
LMAO....Pretty much! Thanks for being so generous, usually people peg us correct at only 5-10% of the time
Old 06-20-2012, 03:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel Acura cuts corner on some of the features should be standard on the RDX. I'm thinking they are saving some features to put in the following years. Such features as the automatic rain sensing wiper. I had this in my 2004 MDX and kind of disappointed my 2013 RDX does not has it.

Derrick
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 AM
8th Gear

I took it into the dealer and they weren't much help because they didn't know for sure. We tried another RDX on the lot and they didn't turn on either. The advisor was supposed to research it and call me back, which didn't happen. I will be calling back in a couple of days to find out what they discovered and will post the results.
Could you keep me posted please? I haven't had a chance to drive out on a rainy day since last time. I wasn't even aware this was a problem before reading this post.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:21 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by QN52
The manual says if they swipe 5 times it will come on. Doesn't mention light sensitivity setting.
Yeah but I am pretty sure they might have swiped like 5000 thousand times on that rainy day but the headlights didn't come on. LOL. I had to manually turn the headlights on after giving like 30 mins.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 AM
Instructor

Talked to the dealer again. They closed the original issue, so they hadn't researched it at all . They want me to bring the vehicle in again so they can do more testing. I told them to test on a vehicle in the lot and then let me know if they still need me to bring it in.

Are any US owners having the same issue?

Are any Canadian owners not having the same issue?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Talked to the dealer again. They closed the original issue, so they hadn't researched it at all . They want me to bring the vehicle in again so they can do more testing. I told them to test on a vehicle in the lot and then let me know if they still need me to bring it in.

Are any US owners having the same issue?

Are any Canadian owners not having the same issue?
It doesn't work for me. I don't see any headlights coming on when the wipers are running. Actually I don't see the dash headlights indicator, maybe the headlights are turned on without dashboard notification? I doubt it.
I assume we don't have this feature in the Canadian version because of the DRL. It would still be useful because the rear lights are not on with the DRL, but it would be nice if they would turn on during rain, together with the headlights.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rdxm
I assume we don't have this feature in the Canadian version because of the DRL. It would still be useful because the rear lights are not on with the DRL, but it would be nice if they would turn on during rain, together with the headlights.
That was my initial thought as well - that they eliminated it because of the DRL, but also agree that the taillights should be on as this is equally important in a heavy rain. Both service advisors i talked to stated that they should be coming on after two minutes of the wipers being on. So if it is intentional that it does not work in Canada, then they have not disseminated that information well and have a clear error in the manual.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Racer

It works for me. Lights come on after a few wipes after setting lights to Auto and then turning wipers on. Tested in daylight. The Dash indicator also lights when the lights come on. You have to wait at least a few minutes for the lights to turn back off in Auto after turning off the wipers or turn them off manually. US Spec 2013 RDX-AWD Base Model Manufactured 5/18/2013. We have DRL's here in the US too so don't know why it would be different for Canada.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Mikejmack...I'd like to help by testing and reporting but that would involve me driving my RDX in the rain.....ain't gonna happen
Old 06-22-2012, 06:37 AM
Instructor

Mikejmack...I'd like to help by testing and reporting but that would involve me driving my RDX in the rain.....ain't gonna happen
LOL ...Appreciate the consideration though. So, it must have killed you to drive it home from the dealer ... didn't it rain that day?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Racer

LOL ...Appreciate the consideration though. So, it must have killed you to drive it home from the dealer ... didn't it rain that day?
You two do know rain has nothing to do with how they are supposed to work do you? It is supposed to make the lights come on when the switch is on Auto and the wipers are turned on... Rain or shine.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Instructor

You two do know rain has nothing to do with how they are supposed to work do you? It is supposed to make the lights come on when the switch is on Auto and the wipers are turned on... Rain or shine.
Yes. I am wondering if I has anything to do with HIDs. Neither the base nor the tech work in Canada and they both have HIDs. Does your have HIDs?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Racer

Yes. I am wondering if I has anything to do with HIDs. Neither the base nor the tech work in Canada and they both have HIDs. Does your have HIDs?
No HID on US Base model. Has H11 Halogen low beam bulbs. In an earlier post I also included the build date so anyone checking may want to take that into consideration also as it might be a firmware or software programing issue from the factory with earlier builds. I know most will not know the day of the month unless they have the MCO but at least the month of build can be determined by the door jamb decal.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Instructor

The official word from Acura engineering has been received. No Canadian models have this feature "at this time". No specific reason given. The manual is the same for all english language countries, so that is why it is there (note the asterisk stating not available on all models). The acura.ca website incorrectly states it as a feature (and will be corrected).

When and if it becomes available for Canada, my service advisor will be notified and I'll post it here.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks for the update mikejmack. I get why they have it in the US (at least 15 states require your headlights to be on if your wipers are in use), but why not in Canada? Can it cost that much more to have?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

...and who has their wipers turned on when it doesn't rain??

mikejmack....You are indeed correct! It was a pounding rain that day and I thought to myself, OK, I have driven my RDX in the rain and I'll be cured! No sooner had I gotten home and washed the RDX that I said to myself, OK, no more of this nonsense *lol* That car obsession is a bad disease....be careful, I may still be contagious
Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Racer

...and who has their wipers turned on when it doesn't rain??
A person who wants to test to see if the headlights will come on when the wipers are on and either does not want to wait for the rain or does not want to get wet checking. Also a person who wants to use the windshield washer or a motor vehicle inspector checking that they work.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

A person who wants to test to see if the headlights will come on when the wipers are on and either does not want to wait for the rain or does not want to get wet checking. Also a person who wants to use the windshield washer or a motor vehicle inspector checking that they work.
Doh! Got me there but I guess mikejmack knows me enough that I would never run my dry wipers against my windshield and create a streak across it

You, my friend, outsmarted my wittiness.....
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you get this sorted?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by QN52
Did you get this sorted?
It doesn't work on any of the Canadian models. No reason given, but is by design at this point - confirmed with engineering. Not sure about the US models. I have a suspicion that it has to do with HIDs, which are on all models in Canada.