Auto Start Stop on 2017 RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Start Stop on 2017 RDX?

I just picked up our 2017 RDX and so far it is great! I thought I read the RDX has auto start stop to save gas for when you stop at traffic lights but the RDX did not shut the engine off at traffic lights. Does the RDX have this function? If yes do you have to turn on this functionality and how do you do that?
Old 05-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Auto start stop is not a function the RDX has, thank goodness, it would annoy the crap out of me if it did.
The following users liked this post:
rudycat (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Cruisin'

I thought I read that the auto start stop was a feature but maybe that was for the MDX. Oh well that should be fine anyways and I expect the gas mileage to be much better in the 2017 RDX than it was in our 2009 MDX. We were getting about 15 L per 100 km in our MDX in 50/50 city highway driving.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The MDX and TLX have this feature, it's called "Auto Idle Stop". The button to turn this feature on or off is next to the transmission button shifters.
Seems like everything about it indicates that for it to be useful the engine has to be off for ten seconds. Seems to be more of an annoyance then a great way to save gas.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
I agree...and lots of wear & tear on the starter & battery.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Cruisin'

I am usually not a fan of the auto start stop feature but we have a couple of traffic lights around here that can be 4 or 5 minutes long and I could see a use for this feature at these traffic lights.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Auto Start Stop would be a feature I would never use. I live in Arizona. Shutting down my engine and air conditioner at traffic lights during the summer would be ludicrous.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

I've driven loaners (TLX) with the feature, and had an X3 rental in France that had the auto stop. Honestly, it is really cool and you guys that say you would never use it wouldn't even notice what it was doing.

It does not turn off the air conditioning or any accessories. It runs them off battery. Unless if you're still stopped and it needs power at which point it automatically turns the engine back on.

Cars these days use so little energy to start the engine. This feature is common in cars outside the US and it's finally starting to make it here.

It's just like a hybrid; the engine turns on and off without the driver knowing.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:52 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pianos101
It does not turn off the air conditioning or any accessories. It runs them off battery.
The air conditioning compressor is belt-fed from the engine. No refrigerant would be flowing through the evaporator. The interior blower (fan) would continue to run but the only cooling will be coming from the residual temperature of the evaporator.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:08 AM
7th Gear

2017 rdx

The 2017 RDX that I have has cylinder deactivation. Under low engine load, it shuts down 3 of the 6 cylinders. It does not have an auto start/stop engine.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:36 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
That is a feature I would never have on my cars. Drove an XC60 which had it and absolutely hated it. The car shuddered every time the engine started. I had no idea the MDX had it. Must not have been active in the loaner I had.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:39 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
For some it's here. For others it's coming.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
That is a feature I would never have on my cars. Drove an XC60 which had it and absolutely hated it. The car shuddered every time the engine started. I had no idea the MDX had it. Must not have been active in the loaner I had.
Yeah wait a minute, I also had a 2016 MDX loaner for a few days and never noticed the start stop either. I never turned it off either. The ILX hybrid loaner on the other hand definitely had it....talk about sick to my stomach when it turned off at an intersection on my way to university in the morning. I had no idea what was going on until I think I looked at the dash and it said idle stop or I think when I lifted my foot off the brake it turned back on.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:15 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pianos101
It's just like a hybrid; the engine turns on and off without the driver knowing.
That's not been my experience. It's noticeable and annoying.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by dbarnhart
The air conditioning compressor is belt-fed from the engine. No refrigerant would be flowing through the evaporator. The interior blower (fan) would continue to run but the only cooling will be coming from the residual temperature of the evaporator.
some cars that have start stop feature also have a small electric A/C compressor that will run when the engine is off. others will restart the car if the temp goes up too much...
Old 08-08-2016, 07:06 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
some cars that have start stop feature also have a small electric A/C compressor that will run when the engine is off...
Acura's Sport Hybrid technology has a completely electric A/C. It runs when the engine is off or even using remote start with no ICE engine turnover (if the batteries are not completely drained). There is no alternator or starter motor either, nor the associated drive belts to sap power. The electric A/C is ice cold. The Start / Stop is disabled when in SPORT mode. However the Start / Stop is very refined as the car launches with electric RWD initially, then the ICE turns over while the car is already in motion. The result is the Start / Stop is feathered in. Since there is no starter motor, the ICE is cranked by the 3rd electric motor - the 'pancake motor' situated between the V6 ICE and the DC tranny. It affords an instant turnover and smoother than electric starter motor. Much more refined than any other hybrid design I have experienced. The only time you really notice the ICE turnover is when the car is stopped, say at a traffic light, and the batteries are in need of charging - the ICE cranks over when the car is stationary, but rarely does this happen.

A similar version of Sport Hybrid will be launching in the MDX for 2017. I believe the TLX and RDX will be next to receive this driveline. Hopefully they will achieve SH in the entire fleet, as SHAWD did not. It would make Acura unique with this offering accross the lineup, from the halo NSX to the pedestrian ILX.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRLX-SH
Acura's Sport Hybrid technology has a completely electric A/C. It runs when the engine is off or even using remote start with no ICE engine turnover (if the batteries are not completely drained). There is no alternator or starter motor either, nor the associated drive belts to sap power. The electric A/C is ice cold. The Start / Stop is disabled when in SPORT mode. However the Start / Stop is very refined as the car launches with electric RWD initially, then the ICE turns over while the car is already in motion. The result is the Start / Stop is feathered in. Since there is no starter motor, the ICE is cranked by the 3rd electric motor - the 'pancake motor' situated between the V6 ICE and the DC tranny. It affords an instant turnover and smoother than electric starter motor. Much more refined than any other hybrid design I have experienced. The only time you really notice the ICE turnover is when the car is stopped, say at a traffic light, and the batteries are in need of charging - the ICE cranks over when the car is stationary, but rarely does this happen.

A similar version of Sport Hybrid will be launching in the MDX for 2017. I believe the TLX and RDX will be next to receive this driveline. Hopefully they will achieve SH in the entire fleet, as SHAWD did not. It would make Acura unique with this offering accross the lineup, from the halo NSX to the pedestrian ILX.
My brain is off. What does ICE stand for again? I feel like I should know this, but can't remember!

I really like the way Acrua's hybrid setup works. I especially love that it can do rwd alone, I think that is impressive. Now if they can take away the buick inspired lines, it would be a deadly car. Give it stronger square lines like the germans. Make it look fat and it will be perfect.

I don't see the hybrid going to the rdx and ilx unless they give them shitty gm style accessory hybrid tech. No sh-sh for either the ilx or rdx.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:58 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
ICE = Internal Combustion Engine

If I bought a non-hybrid car that had the auto stop/start it would be the first thing I would turn off. IMO it's a feel-good thing that is not effective enough to warrant the extra wear & tear. As always, YMMV.

A hybrid is an entirely different animal.