Annoyed with Acura/Honda

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I went to do a test drive of 2015 CRV EX-L AWD last weekend and I found ride quality to tech features in the CRV is either equal or better than my 2013 RDX except in two areas (lack of V6 acceleration, and less soft touch in the interiors). Does that worth $6K difference in price? ~ You decide.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:52 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
That's true. But once you buy that CRV, those two features you are missing might annoy you to no end. It's better that you have a nice powerful engine and classy interiors ( which will last a long time) than a few tech gimmicks which will be outdated pretty soon.
The following users liked this post:
ARascal (11-04-2014)
Old 10-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dcpc08161992
I went to do a test drive of 2015 CRV EX-L AWD last weekend and I found ride quality to tech features in the CRV is either equal or better than my 2013 RDX except in two areas (lack of V6 acceleration, and less soft touch in the interiors). Does that worth $6K difference in price? ~ You decide.
Where to begin...
First, I did decide - in 2013 when I compared the 2013 CRV to the 2013 RDX and much preferred the RDX.
Second, wouldn't a better current comparison be between a 2015 CRV and a 2015 RDX?
Third, what attracted you to the RDX vs. the CRV in 2013? There must have been some reason then.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
That's true. But once you buy that CRV, those two features you are missing might annoy you to no end. It's better that you have a nice powerful engine and classy interiors ( which will last a long time) than a few tech gimmicks which will be outdated pretty soon.
The V6 in the Acura was a large portion of my own deciding factor. There are dozens of, pardon the term, "shit boxes" with four-bangers, CVT's, etc, that were eliminated because of the lack of power.

(For the record, I moved from a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid with...yes, a four-banger and a CVT. Dead reliable but dadgum slow.)
Old 10-30-2014, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the RDX audio is much better for sure. However, I do like the CRV Lane Change Assist, and touch screen Navi.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Al Dente
Where to begin...
First, I did decide - in 2013 when I compared the 2013 CRV to the 2013 RDX and much preferred the RDX.
Second, wouldn't a better current comparison be between a 2015 CRV and a 2015 RDX?
Third, what attracted you to the RDX vs. the CRV in 2013? There must have been some reason then.
------------
You are absolutely correct on the 2013 RDX vs 2013 CRV and that is why I ended up with and RDX. But RDX now lacks behind in 2015. Isn't the 2015 RDX much the same as 2013 RDX? What are the new features in 2015 RDX?

Does 2015 RDX add Collision Mitigation Braking System?
Does 2015 RDX add Lane Departure Warning System?
Does 2015 RDX add Adaptive Cruise Control?
Does 2015 RDX add Lane Assist camera?
Does 2015 RDX add LED Day Time running light?
Does 2015 RDX add rear vents?
Does 2015 RDX add touch screen to its Navigation now?

I am not saying CRV is better than RDX as it lacks of the V6 and soft touch dash but it beats RDX in term of techs.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:28 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

------------
You are absolutely correct on the 2013 RDX vs 2013 CRV and that is why I ended up with and RDX. But RDX now lacks behind in 2015. Isn't the 2015 RDX much the same as 2013 RDX? What are the new features in 2015 RDX?
I am not saying CRV is better than RDX as it lacks of the V6 and soft touch dash but it beats RDX in term of techs.
We understand your frustration. I'm guessing that you already have a 2nd gen RDX. But look at the silver lining. In case you are leasing your car, by the time of trade you'll most likely get the RDX with all those features.
Only those people in the market for RDX /CRV at present will have a second thought now ...which may be over in about 6 months. Just imagine it as growing pain for a few months (A pregnancy lasts around 9 months ).
Old 10-31-2014, 07:04 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
------------

Does 2015 RDX add Collision Mitigation Braking System?
Does 2015 RDX add Lane Departure Warning System?
Does 2015 RDX add Adaptive Cruise Control?
Does 2015 RDX add Lane Assist camera?
Does 2015 RDX add LED Day Time running light?
Does 2015 RDX add rear vents?
Does 2015 RDX add touch screen to its Navigation now?

It seems obvious that this has to do with model year cycles.

The CR-V is, for all intents and purposes, a new car. The RDX hasn't had a resfresh yet and continues to be a good seller.

Safety doesn't sell cars, touchy feely stuff does. Names sell and few customers will cross shop a mass market CUV/SUV with a luxury branded RDX.

Have you driven a car with Honda's touch screen navigation? In addition to the same "you can't do anything while moving" you have the "I'm mashing the on screen buttons and it takes forever to register".

Do you live in an area with pristine lane markings? If not, then the lane departure assistance features will drive you nuts.

Ever use adaptive cruise on a winding road?

Do LED DRLs improve the way the car drives or handles?

Be careful what you wish for. These all come with a price.
The following 6 users liked this post by ceb:
5 Acuras (10-31-2014), Al Dente (10-31-2014), Comfy (10-31-2014), CybrRdr (10-31-2014), hondu (10-31-2014), ossaguy (11-01-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-31-2014, 07:55 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb

The CR-V is, for all intents and purposes, a new car. The RDX hasn't had a resfresh yet and continues to be a good seller.

Safety doesn't sell cars, touchy feely stuff does. Names sell and few customers will cross shop a mass market CUV/SUV with a luxury branded RDX.

Have you driven a car with Honda's touch screen navigation? In addition to the same "you can't do anything while moving" you have the "I'm mashing the on screen buttons and it takes forever to register".

Do you live in an area with pristine lane markings? If not, then the lane departure assistance features will drive you nuts.

I agree about most of this new tech. The only thing I think is worth it is the blind spot monitor. I can easily stay in my own lane when driving, it is called paying attention while you drive. The same goes for the cruise control, just pay attention while you drive. The collision mitigation system might be good, but then again, if you pay attention while you drive, it shouldn't be needed.
The following 2 users liked this post by hondu:
CybrRdr (10-31-2014), ossaguy (11-01-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 09:07 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
In my opinion, all the "new" tech are not must have technology. If it was that amazing I would have bought an Accord over my RDX. After all, it was available on the new Accord when I bought my 2014 RDX.

The problem is people want all of this bling bling tech but either don't really use it or it doesn't really work well.

And BTW, Lanewatch to me is dumb. A camera only on the right side? Really? I have to take my eyes off the road and stare at a screen to see if all is clear on the right side only. It does you no good when you try to merge left on to a busy freeway. I'd rather have Blind-spot monitoring to automatically let me know if it's okay to merge to EITHER lane.

Last edited by CybrRdr; 10-31-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:30 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Leftlane's bottom line
Is LaneWatch a replacement for a blind spot monitor? Not quite, but it's an interesting effort that will probably impress buyers in the showroom.

Although we're still bigger fans of defensive driving - which includes properly adjusting outside mirrors - we've grown used to the prevalence of blind spot monitors in new vehicles. As a result, we're used to having sensors on either side of the vehicle alert us of an occupied lane. Since LaneWatch only keeps track of the passenger side, its usefulness is comparatively limited.

Read more: Spotlight On: Honda LaneWatch | New and Used Car Reviews, Research & Automotive-Industry News & LeftLaneNews
Old 10-31-2014, 10:31 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by ceb
Have you driven a car with Honda's touch screen navigation? In addition to the same "you can't do anything while moving" you have the "I'm mashing the on screen buttons and it takes forever to register.....Ever use adaptive cruise on a winding road?
LOL ... That's one reason I don't like touch screens too much. I would rather have physical buttons with good tactile feel in any car.
Cruise controls are a pain in winding and hilly roads as well. Unfortunately where I live there's plenty of them and I end up frustrated and turn them off... Helps me stay alert though .
Is there a cruise control system that would do these in addition to slow down in traffic....
1) slow down gently as you climb a hill (not jam on the throttle to maintain the speed while climbing) and gently ease up while coasting down to desired speed.
2) slow down when a curve approaches (without any traffic in front)
I think I'm asking for too much...
Old 10-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced

------------
RDX now lacks behind in 2015...it beats RDX in term of techs.
It's always going to be a game of one-upmanship, even with the same corporate parent. You make the best decision you can at the time when buying or leasing. After that, relax until the next time around. Otherwise you just make yourself aggravated.
The following 2 users liked this post by Al Dente:
Comfy (10-31-2014), justnspace (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 04:27 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

LOL ... That's one reason I don't like touch screens too much. I would rather have physical buttons with good tactile feel in any car.
Cruise controls are a pain in winding and hilly roads as well. Unfortunately where I live there's plenty of them and I end up frustrated and turn them off... Helps me stay alert though .
Is there a cruise control system that would do these in addition to slow down in traffic....
1) slow down gently as you climb a hill (not jam on the throttle to maintain the speed while climbing) and gently ease up while coasting down to desired speed.
2) slow down when a curve approaches (without any traffic in front)
I think I'm asking for too much...
Yes, but not yet. BMW and MB systems semi intelligently modulate the throttle to allow for some loss of speed - but that comes with a safety issue. What happens to the car behind you as you slow down without brakelights?

How slow is too slow? 5mph below the set speed? 10?

How slow do you want to go around the curve?

Technologically, both are pretty simple. An inclinometer could easily be incorporated but at what point does the car speed up?

Equally, the steering angle, combined with a look ahead camera, could slow you down for a curve and detecting g-forces could keep your speed safe.

Look for some of this to come out in the next iteration of the CTS.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AXMACD
Do you have a base or a Tech RDX? The base radio does sound pretty crappy when you go from ELS to a "Premium Audio System" like I did last week (I had an ILX loaner with and without ELS and noticed a HUGE difference). I've had 6-disc changers in all my vehicles since 2002 until now, my Civic has a 8-disc changer in the trunk and I never use it anymore. I use my iPod or my iPhone for music.. the RDX has a 15 GB hard drive anyway which is more than enough room to store 6 discs worth of music.
base model; no hard drive either. i don't use a cell phone so it's just cd's or radio for me.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
While I definitely would like some of the features mentioned above, I don't understand the obsession some people have with LED DRLs. It's not like you can appreciate them while you're in the car. And the car is probably off when you're not in it. I don't really care what they look like, as long as they do the job of making it easier for oncoming traffic to see me. It doesn't really matter whether they're LED or not.

Frankly, I wish I had a switch or to easily deactivate the DRLs, but I haven't found one. I hate it when I'm sitting in a parking lot waiting to pick up my wife and the damn things stay on.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Murrow
While I definitely would like some of the features mentioned above, I don't understand the obsession some people have with LED DRLs. It's not like you can appreciate them while you're in the car. And the car is probably off when you're not in it. I don't really care what they look like, as long as they do the job of making it easier for oncoming traffic to see me. It doesn't really matter whether they're LED or not.

Frankly, I wish I had a switch or to easily deactivate the DRLs, but I haven't found one. I hate it when I'm sitting in a parking lot waiting to pick up my wife and the damn things stay on.
I'm with you on that.

Especially ugly are the otherwise very nice vehicles with the LED gizmo pattern DRLs that shut off when a turn signal is activated. We have quite a few in our area and it looks pretty dopey to see ONE DRL on and the other off while a car is waiting to turn. IIRC, I've seen a Tesla, Audi and Maserati all looking like Popeye while making a turn.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb

I simply stated the differences between the two cars... model 15 years to model year 15 as someone call for it.

By the way, why are you using cruise control (adaptive or not) on winding roads...
Old 11-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Instructor

We can all thank the lawyers for DRL. I hated it as well but since it is the law of the land and we must all have it, we might was well have it with style. Don't quote me on this, as I am not an engineer, but isn't LED consumes less energy thus less taxing on the car?
Old 11-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I know I'm an old guy but I think there was a thread somewhere about pulling a fuse to disable the DRLs? I have no opinion on the subject and take no responsibility for the results, just passing on the information.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced

We can all thank the lawyers for DRL. I hated it as well but since it is the law of the land and we must all have it, we might was well have it with style. Don't quote me on this, as I am not an engineer, but isn't LED consumes less energy thus less taxing on the car?
They are the law of the land in Canada. In the US, I'm pretty sure they're still voluntary.

I believe you're correct about the energy consumption, but I seriously doubt that's the reason anyone on here wants them.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CoachRick
I'm with you on that.

Especially ugly are the otherwise very nice vehicles with the LED gizmo pattern DRLs that shut off when a turn signal is activated. We have quite a few in our area and it looks pretty dopey to see ONE DRL on and the other off while a car is waiting to turn. IIRC, I've seen a Tesla, Audi and Maserati all looking like Popeye while making a turn.
Haha... true! I saw a new Yukon and a new Rogue like that today.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Imho the v6 alone is worth the 6k...the ease of how that thing moves the RDX and butter smooth power delivery is awesome
Old 11-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Don't thank the lawyers, thank the evidence. It is proven that cars with DRLs are more visible and are less likely to be involved in an accident Even have an cloudy day or shaded road and dark gray car disappears into the road. Also I thought DRLs are only the law for our friends up north (Canada).
Old 11-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I like DRLs. it is annoying when driving at night and you have an older vehicle behind you with a headlight out. The person most likely has no clue the bulb is dead. With a DRL there is at least a light on so I know it is a car and not a motorcycle.

Also, LEDs last longer. For those who buy cars and drive often enough you will find the bulbs blow every 3-4 years. LEDs supposedly last like 10+ years. Can be an easy way to avoid a ticket and be safer on the road.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:36 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wildeklave
I like DRLs. it is annoying when driving at night and you have an older vehicle behind you with a headlight out. The person most likely has no clue the bulb is dead. With a DRL there is at least a light on so I know it is a car and not a motorcycle.

Also, LEDs last longer. For those who buy cars and drive often enough you will find the bulbs blow every 3-4 years. LEDs supposedly last like 10+ years. Can be an easy way to avoid a ticket and be safer on the road.
You cannot drive at night and not know that there is something amiss with your headlights if a bulb is out.
The following users liked this post:
YeuEmMaiMai (11-03-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
You cannot drive at night and not know that there is something amiss with your headlights if a bulb is out.

People are so ignorant, I see folks driving without their light on in pitch dark or both fronts burnt out and not a clue. I actually found it worse in NYC burbs as there are many roads with street lights so many people never knew they did not have their lights on. Here in GA with many roads with no street light it amazes me how someone can drive on a dark road and not regularize their lights are off. In gf's RDX I can tell if the fog lights are on when I am driving and such.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I hate LED headlights, I think they look tacky. As for tail lights, Honda did a GREAT job on the Accord Touring tail lights, they look great at night - if they could do something like that with the RDX it would be wonderful.

I'm getting a little annoyed with people and their lack of knowledge when it comes to HID's. I find myself constantly being high-beamed by oncoming cars when I have my headlights on (no brights). It's very annoying but satisfying to blind them with my real high-beams.

Originally Posted by driveros
I also feel disappointed with Acura, if this is supposed to be a "Premium" version of the 2015, why the CRV has more technology features than the RDX.
I wrote a message to Acura and this was their response:

I don't know if we can join and ask for some recall or reinbursemente.... or I don't know if I can return the car (It's only have 2k miles on) or work on some deal but I feel really frustrated paying this car for 5 years
... that's not really how it works. It sucks that you are dissatisfied with your purchase but I think everyone has had buyers remorse about a car purchase at some point in their lives. Just because something newer and better came out doesn't mean Acura will just take the car back so you can get something else.

Last edited by AXMACD; 11-09-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AXMACD
I find myself constantly being high-beamed by oncoming cars when I have my headlights on (no brights).
This happened to me a lot when I first got my 2013, but not so much anymore.