Advance pkg and finally stumbled upon a few things

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Advance pkg and finally stumbled upon a few things

I've been wondering about...
does the ACC have low speed follow?
Ans: sort of. Was thinking about this on my stretch of highway road that goes from 2 lanes to 1 with creeping traffic.
I set the cruise to 35mph and the ACC responded accordingly by slowing down and speeding up...until a complete stop was required at which time the word 'BRAKE!' flashed and the system defaulted back to program.
Works but unnerving to go autonomous 5 to 35mph in short close distances when not actually supported by this cars system.

does the remote start turn on the climate control?
ans: sort of. (Wife's car that I only drive occasionally so I need to practice the features). Car in driveway, nice warm CA day practice remote start...open door and the fan is on full! I was so surprised I forgot to check to see if cold air was blowing out or not. I assumed it was ambient air so the air must then be conditioned for warm or cool.
ill have to check again because I'm not used to the command brake+push start and rub tummy simultaneously to keep engine running after entering drivers seat.

Sidenote: I've had a chance to carpool in my cousins tesla and he mentioned the car only has 2-buttons for operation. That's pretty driverless forward.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:10 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2 buttons...that would drive me crazy, esp. if everything is voice commands.

On my 2014, when remote started, the climate control enters Auto mode and automatically heats or cools the vehicle to 21 Celcius. In heating mode the fan wont run until the engine has had a chance to warm up.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:10 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
I’ve had my 2016 RDX Advance for a year now and have only used the remote start a few times. 1st time I used it was just to see if it actually works! Lol. My understanding is it turns on the HVAC system automatically to bring the cabin temperature to about 72 degrees. In the warmer weather if the interior of the RDX is more than 72 then the A/C will run. In cold weather the heat won’t kick in until engine up to temp.

In all honesty, it’s a cool feature and nice convenience but one of those things I could take it or leave it. Plus, I’m not a big fan of letting a car just sit and idle. The A/C and cooled seats work so well in the RDX that even getting in a piping hot RDX on the hottest summer day within 2-3 minutes with A/C and cooled seats on high everything gets comfortable very quickly.

On the other hand, on a very cold winter day the heat won’t come on until engine is up to temp which could easily take 5 minutes or more if just idling. So, nice feature, but…
Old 03-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
On my '16 Advance, remote start brings the climate control on at the setting it was at when the engine was last shut off.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by jcross1231
On my '16 Advance, remote start brings the climate control on at the setting it was at when the engine was last shut off.
The following is from my 2016 owners manual. I have read elsewhere that the system will try to bring the cabin temperature to about 72 F , by doing whatever is required to get there. It is also worth noting that the seat heaters or blowers will not activate with a remote start.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:49 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
The following is from my 2016 owners manual. I have read elsewhere that the system will try to bring the cabin temperature to about 72 F , by doing whatever is required to get there. It is also worth noting that the seat heaters or blowers will not activate with a remote start.

Perfect RDX-Rick. Thanks for the details. And just as I said in my above post.. 72 degrees.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the clarification!

now I'll have to look to see where the door mirror heater switch is located....
are these the heater wires in the door mirror making for the weird convex shape that I'm so not used to?

Last edited by Himecraig; 03-19-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I believe defrost activates the mirrors.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by dirleton
Yep
Old 03-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Himecraig
Thanks for the clarification!

now I'll have to look to see where the door mirror heater switch is located....
are these the heater wires in the door mirror making for the weird convex shape that I'm so not used to?
Passenger side mirrors have been convex for many years now. The RDX is the first vehicle I have seen that adds this to the drivers side mirror. It is there by design and it is not a result of the mirrors being heated.

The following users liked this post:
Himecraig (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 01:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dirleton
Pressing the "rear window and mirror defrost" button (just to the right of the recirculate button) does turn on the heating elements in both the rear window and the side view mirrors.

With regards to pressing the "windshield defroster button" (directly above the rear window defrost button) , as far as I know, this only redirects heated air to the windshield, and side window vents. I can't find anything in the manual that says it turns on the mirror heaters. If this was the case I would expect the LED on the mirror heater button to also light up and I have not seen that happen.

These heaters put a large load on the alternator, and they should only be used when required and then turned off. In fact they will automatically shut off after a time period determined by the outside temperature. I don't think they would be tied into the front windshield defrost button because mirror heating is not always a requirement when the windshield fogs up.