AcuraLink Costs ....Too Much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 04:30 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
AcuraLink Costs ....Too Much?

I purchased my 2016 RDX Elite in June 2012. The purchase included all 3 levels of Acuralink for free for one year.

In June 2016 I renewed only the "Standard" and "Connect" packages for a two year period. The standard package included updated traffic reports for the Nav system. The connect package includes "Automatic Collision Notification" as well as remote access to the locks, lights, "send to car" navigation destinations, etc.

I can't find a record of the two year renewal cost, but I recall that it was only slightly over $200.

My subscription expired this month, so I called to renew both the "standard and connect" packages for a single year ( I hope to get a 2020 next year). I was surprised that the cost had risen to $481.38 CDN for that one year.

What is everyone's feelings on this type of pricing. I can get traffic reports on my phone app which would replace the "Standard" package, but the cost for standard was only $122.04. But how do you replace the remote control functions? Is it worth $359.34 for these features? How much does it really cost Acura to provide these features.

I love the remote features, but at that price I'm not sure I will ever renew again.

Rick
Old 06-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
I purchased my 2016 RDX Elite in June 2012. The purchase included all 3 levels of Acuralink for free for one year.

In June 2016 I renewed only the "Standard" and "Connect" packages for a two year period. The standard package included updated traffic reports for the Nav system. The connect package includes "Automatic Collision Notification" as well as remote access to the locks, lights, "send to car" navigation destinations, etc.

I can't find a record of the two year renewal cost, but I recall that it was only slightly over $200.

My subscription expired this month, so I called to renew both the "standard and connect" packages for a single year ( I hope to get a 2020 next year). I was surprised that the cost had risen to $481.38 CDN for that one year.

What is everyone's feelings on this type of pricing. I can get traffic reports on my phone app which would replace the "Standard" package, but the cost for standard was only $122.04. But how do you replace the remote control functions? Is it worth $359.34 for these features? How much does it really cost Acura to provide these features.

I love the remote features, but at that price I'm not sure I will ever renew again.

Rick
My thought was after the one year free subscription for my 2017 was enough. Never used it really. Had the real time traffic working, but that was it. The cost is to me crazy. As most of us have cell phones and the nav system why bother. Waste of cash. That's just me though. I never used the app on my phone, you control the car with but have seen it and its cool, but not for the cost.
The following users liked this post:
RDX-Rick (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 09:50 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i used my free subscription when i bought my rdx in 2016 and thought the app was pretty useful. i find it silly that our car doesn't have an automatic lock feature so the app gave me some peace of mind
i only had to use the app a few times for a situation like this but its better to be safe than sorry i guess

since then, the acuralink app has been updated and it looks a lot more modern and it seems less buggy than before. tempted to renew if some sort of deal came up on the subscription
Old 06-25-2018, 06:09 AM
Pro

I agree the app is useful (although it is very very slow). For example I have needed to get into the vehicle when I left my keys in an 8th floor apartment, which was no problem since I always have my phone. Or I am planning some places to visit while sitting in my hotel room, which I can send to the car without wasting time in the morning sitting behind the wheel, And of course as you said, I can check that my car is locked even though I can't see it.

As far as the app becoming more modern, I can no longer see my tire pressures in KPA (only PSI) and I cannot see my estimated range in KM (only miles).

The question is, are these features which I use 6-10 times a year worth the $481.38 CDN.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We just downloaded the Acuralink app for our 2018 RDX. Are the features below only for the 2019 model? We don't see any of these features in the Acuralink app for our 2018 RDX.

-remote engine start
-last mile
-geofence alerts
-speed alert
Old 06-27-2018, 01:30 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I agree the app is useful (although it is very very slow). For example I have needed to get into the vehicle when I left my keys in an 8th floor apartment, which was no problem since I always have my phone. Or I am planning some places to visit while sitting in my hotel room, which I can send to the car without wasting time in the morning sitting behind the wheel, And of course as you said, I can check that my car is locked even though I can't see it.

As far as the app becoming more modern, I can no longer see my tire pressures in KPA (only PSI) and I cannot see my estimated range in KM (only miles).

The question is, are these features which I use 6-10 times a year worth the $481.38 CDN.
To me? Nope. Never paid anything once the OEM subscription expired. See little value in it.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I actually use the app a lot to "push" the NAV destinations to the car. Much easier than inputting via the NAV. Works really well for that. I have it in both my MDX and RDX. It is pricey for what you get..

Lock/Unlock is a cool feature.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
When we bought our 2016 Advance new we were told we had 3 free years of acuralink. To be honest, I don't even know what acuralink is. We were never told. We were told it's all in "the book", but we've never checked to see what the features were as we don't need them. It's transportation to us. My wife wanted an RDX for her 60th birthday and we went with the advance because it was the only model with the safety features we wanted (the same features that are standard on every Toyota). The only time I ever used the nav it gave me poor directions - it would have had me turn into a large retention pond. When we need nav we use the cell phone.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:36 AM
Pro

I was surprised that the cost had risen to $481.38 CDN for that one year.
UPDATE
It turned out the AcuraLink representative quoted me the price for a two year subscription. Then he emailed me a copy of the "Agreement" which at a quick glance, agreed with the cost he quoted on the phone. It was only later that I discovered the PDF copy of the "Agreement" was a copy of the two year agreement I had entered into from June 2016 to June 2018. My credit card had actually been charged the correct amount of $300.58 for a one year subscription.

More information can be found in this thread from post #4 downwards.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts

Rick
I had a look after I made my purchase and even called them, but I never even considered the service. Same goes for XM radio.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:24 AM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It all comes down to usage. If you use it a lot and it makes you feel good about using your Acura, then go for it. No regrets. But general rule of thumb, if you are seriously wondering if it is worth it, that typically means you are not that excited about those features and just looking for an excuse to justify it... In this case, don't.

I may not be very objective since I drive a 2013 TL without any AcuraLink features, though I've seen and tried them at the dealership (not impressed myself for something I have to pay extra).