Acura RDX vs Lexus NX vs Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura RDX vs Lexus NX vs Lexus RX

I thought I would be in a good position to give a review of the Lexus NX, Lexus RX and Acura RDX. I know many of you cross-shop these models (especially Asians I noticed...). Here’s my experience over the past 3 years having owned all three of them. Warning, this is a long read. Note, this thread has been posted on the ClubLexus and AcuraZine forums.

The trims and models specifically are (all Canadian references, all AWD):
2017 Acura RDX Elite
2016 Lexus RX 350 Executive
2015 Lexus NX 200t Executive

RDX Pros:

· Great all around vehicle that does everything well and offers amazing value. AcuraWatch (lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, collision mitigation braking) being standard in Canada is a big plus. Lexus is slowly making Lexus Safety System+ (lane departure alert with assist, dynamic radar cruise, pre-collision system, automatic high beams) standard across their line-up as well.

· Our Elite has the dual-screen Infotainment system which I find to be very useful. Not at all confusing like many reviewers say. My preference is map on the upper display and audio on the lower display. The system has more confusing layout than Lexus that takes some getting used to, but the touch screen makes the system easier to navigate compared to the Lexus touchpad (NX) or remote touch joystick-thingy (RX). Infotainment system is able to display Asian characters.

· More customizable settings. Acura excels at making almost everything customizable by the owner. The settings menu has pages and pages of options, which a tech guru like myself really likes. Now, most of these are a “set it and forget it” type thing, but it’s nice not to have to ask the Dealer to change certain settings. Only the most basic settings are available to Lexus owners.

· V6 engine is buttery smooth and plentiful. No turbo lag and it is as efficient as the NX turbo and 10 to 15% more fuel efficient than the RX (according to Fuelly).

· AcuraLink is very useful. I don’t see myself calling them very often to provide route guidance or anything but I did try it once for kicks to a local restaurant and the representative was very courteous. Traffic updates even work in Alberta!

· Built-in two-way remote starter. It’s nice not to have to carry another remote. However, this makes the key very bulky and the clear plastic on the back scratches way too easily. I’m guessing this remote will look very abused a year or two from now.

· RDX’s Lane Keep Assist is superior to the Lexus system. Acura’s system actually keeps the vehicle in the centre of the lane whereas Lexus is more of a reactive system that delays steering input until you drift closer to the lines. My NX did not have vibratory feedback so the beeps also got annoying on curved roadways. Note, this may change as Lexus rolls out their Lexus Safety System+.

· Acura’s red start push-button. Brushed metal feel, bright red with an understated LED indicator, what’s not to like? The Lexus start push-buttons just feel like another plastic button.

RDX Cons:

· Heavy steering, decently communicative. If you’re cross-shopping with the RX, you’ll enjoy lighter steering. NX’s steering is slightly lighter than the RDX. The leather on the RDX steering wheel is not as supple as the Lexus leather. No heating steering wheel available.

· Non-uniform headlights. Both the NX and RX models we owned had the premium triple beam LED headlights. The Lexus headlights had a much more uniform light output that was even throughout the range and had very sharp cut-offs. I would even argue the TSX HIDs I had were better than these Jewel Eye LEDs in terms of cut-off and range.

· Fog lights are different color temperature. Bit of an annoying characteristic for OCD folks. LED fogs is a $1000+ CAD option.

· Interior is bland. For a ~$50k car, I expect nicer finishes on the inside. The center console area near the cup holders is a sea of black plastic.

NX Pros:

· Turbo engine. While the RDX and RX have powerful V6 engines, the turbo 4-cyl in the NX is no slouch. It’s plenty enough for the urban dweller and has lots of torque at higher RPMs. Turbo lag is small but definitely noticeable. One of my favorite things about these smaller engines is getting to push them harder during your daily commutes. The legal fun is over pretty fast with a V6.

· 6 speed transmission is the best of the 3 crossovers. Relatively smooth, predictive, and responsive. RDX transmission upshifts more aggressively and hesitates to downshift. Much better than the confused 8 speed in the RX.

· Excellent handling. The NX is no Porsche Macan, but the torquey turbo engine and well-balanced chassis make this the best handling of the 3 crossovers. If you get the F-Sport, handling is even better with the adaptive variable suspension.

· Edgy design. Sure, it’s polarizing but it’s definitely unique. If it weren’t for the Jewel Eye LEDs on the RDX, I would say it blends into the sea of cross-overs plaguing the streets today.

· Very comfortable seats (non F-Sport). I never had the F-Sport seats, but some have complained about the seat bolsters being too firm. The regular seats in leather are soft and supportive. I had no discomfort on a recent summer road trip from Edmonton, AB to Vancouver, BC.

NX Cons:

· The “missing chin” on the non F-Sport version and resulting inability to get cornering fog lights is unfortunate.

· Lack of a “premium” features. Lexus has decided that North American NX cannot get: Mark Levinson Audio, 360 degree parking camera, panoramic glass roof, power folding mirrors. In addition, in the US, head-up display and adaptive variable suspension is not available.

· Touchpad infotainment interface is terrible. I never found it very difficult to use the Lexus Remote Touch system but the touchpad is just plain bad. It’s impossible to use while in motion and the haptic feedback is useless.

· Fuel economy is not as good as expected for a 4-cylinder. Fuelly statistics show about the same consumption as the RDX.

· About 45% of those polled on a ClubLexus forum (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-m...tion-poll.html) report vibration at idle or low RPMs.

· Lexus Enform not available in Canada.

· As with all recent Lexus models, only one set of TPMS sensors can be installed. This means pricey reprogramming at the dealer, the Carista app, or living with the blinking TPMS light half the year.

· Very poor placement of sunglasses holder. If we don’t get Lexus Enform, why not put the sunglasses holder back up in the overhead area where it belongs.

· Small cargo area. The steeply raked hatch really cuts down on cargo capacity. This was the number one reason we traded it in the NX for an RX eventually.

RX Pros:

· Plenty of options. The RX can be better equipped than the NX or RDX (at least in Canada). This mostly applies to the NX comparison. I believe the only 2 features the RX has that are not available on the RDX are HUD, pano roof and 360 camera.

· F-Sport package: If a sporty appearance package is what you want, the RX does it best. In black, the exterior is arguably handsome and the massive grille actually blends in. You also get the LFA inspired full LCD display unlike on the NX. Waiting for Acura to release an A-Spec or Type S RDX... I don’t have the F-Sport package because the Mrs thought the bolsters were too aggressive and it’s her daily driver, but I would have gotten them for myself. I personally like all the F-Sport seats in the NX, RX, IS, GS.

· Cargo capacity: If it’s important to you, the RX has the largest cargo capacity of the bunch. Combine this with power-folding seats (also available on the NX though), and it’s super convenient for moving larger loads. The bumper lip is slightly shorter than the RDX so it’s slightly easier to load items without worrying about scratching up the bumper.

· Larger rear door openings: If you have larger passengers... or just mobility problems, the RX makes side loading super easy. The doors open to about 80 degrees. Now, find a parking spot which accommodates this opening is another story.

RX Cons:

· Vibration/droning – There is a thread with 100k+ views and more than 700 posts on ClubLexus (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ost-159-a.html) about excessive vibration and droning at certain RPMs at specific transmission speeds. Some of the vibration has been linked to transmission ECM programming (see bullet below). Even with the transmission fix, some continue to have problems. Luckily, my RX isn’t too bad but it’s definitely more noticeable than previous Lexus models I’ve owned and neither the NX nor RDX have vibration at speed. The cause seems to be resonant noise and vibration caused by the exhaust system and there has been a TSB released but it has varying degrees of success among owners.

· Hesitation problem – At certain speeds, particularly in city driving environments, the transmission would be slow to respond (downshift). After many complaints, Lexus released a TSB for the US and Canada to reprogram the ECM. I found this helped a lot but the 8-speed is still ultimately geared for efficiency rather than enthusiasm. This is the second most viewed thread for the problems with the 4th gen RX on ClubLexus (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ost-159-a.html)

Phew. I kinda ran out of the steam writing the RX portion of this, but I think I discussed the RX throughout the NX and RDX parts. Sorry for the long read. Hope this helps someone.
The following 2 users liked this post by computerwizard56:
FreddyBeach (05-20-2017), ray18 (10-05-2019)
Old 05-02-2017, 11:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks for that review. It just shows how great the RDX is. A fully loaded RDX is almost $15,000 less expensive than a fully loaded NX and $20,000 less than an RX. The true competitor to the RX should actually be the MDX. The fact that the RDX can compete with both the NX and RX shows how great and verstile of a vehicle it is. There's one MAJOR con of the RDX I would like to add though: after you buy a fully loaded RDX, it will be extremely difficult as I'm finding out, to buy a second vehicle. I can't find a vehicle as good as the RDX for around the same price. There's NONE. Now you have these companies cheaping out with 4 cylinders. Example: the new Audi q5 is 4 cylinder only unless you get the sq5. Translation from Audi: we're gonna cheap out with the 4 cylinder engine unless you're willing to let us rip you off with the sq5 line if you want a 6 cylinder. The same is true of Mercedes. You basically need to get an overpriced AMG to get a 6 cylinder engine. And BMW makes you pay through the nose with extra options packages (if you want something you're forced to buy expensive bundles with other stuff you don't want).

Conclusion is Acura: the best vehicle pound for pound, dollar for dollar. No guy test!!
The following users liked this post:
hongthan (10-15-2019)
Old 05-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
Thanks for that review. It just shows how great the RDX is. A fully loaded RDX is almost $15,000 less expensive than a fully loaded NX and $20,000 less than an RX. The true competitor to the RX should actually be the MDX. The fact that the RDX can compete with both the NX and RX shows how great and verstile of a vehicle it is. There's one MAJOR con of the RDX I would like to add though: after you buy a fully loaded RDX, it will be extremely difficult as I'm finding out, to buy a second vehicle. I can't find a vehicle as good as the RDX for around the same price. There's NONE. Now you have these companies cheaping out with 4 cylinders. Example: the new Audi q5 is 4 cylinder only unless you get the sq5. Translation from Audi: we're gonna cheap out with the 4 cylinder engine unless you're willing to let us rip you off with the sq5 line if you want a 6 cylinder. The same is true of Mercedes. You basically need to get an overpriced AMG to get a 6 cylinder engine. And BMW makes you pay through the nose with extra options packages (if you want something you're forced to buy expensive bundles with other stuff you don't want).

Conclusion is Acura: the best vehicle pound for pound, dollar for dollar. No guy test!!
To be fair - the new Q5 has a 2.0T engine with 252 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque and a 7sp DSG. It makes less hp, but has more torque than the RDX. It is also quicker with its smaller motor at 5.9 seconds 0-60. Not bad for a 4 cylinder.....
Old 05-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
We own both an RDX and RX. The RDX feels like a sports car in comparison. The RX has excellent build quality all over and rides super well but is in no way capable of sporty handling or spirited acceleration regardless of trim. The NX handles better than the RDX but is much smaller inside and much slower. I don't think the RX has more cargo space than an RDX. The RDX has a more square and deeper cargo area.

We considered the MDX but I find Acura's jewel eye hideous and overall styling a bit boring. The second row in the MDX is actually smaller than the RDX and RX.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy

I agree with you, the engine on RDX is excellent , I had Acura TL and loved it. The problem with Acura is workmanship and the material they use in the car. My Tl, start falling a part the interior, dashboard crack, upper lining falling, the Bluetooth stop working etc, I was considering RDX before, since I love the engine, but than I change my mind and got NX F-sport.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:39 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
We had an '07 RX350 and weren't sad to see it go. It was tiring to drive on long runs, trying to keep it on-center. Plus the stick cruise control (see my avatar). I took my wife to the auto show at the Texas State Fair in October to look at possibilities for our next car since my son was expressing strong desire to purchase our '13 RDX. She was reluctant to get up close to the NX and RX because of the ugly styling. She did sit in both but couldn't wait to get out, the ergonomics and interior styling being totally unacceptable and ugly. On to the RDX area. "This is my car. I want one."

I later tried to get her to drive the Mercedes GLC and Buick Encore. Well, with the first, to get the same options as the RDX would have been waaaay up there, and the second, well, Motor Trend pretty much sunk that. (Though Encores are currently outselling the RDX.) So aside from her refusing to drive them, neither car was close to what we (she) wanted. (The first RDX was called Rodney so this one had to be Rudy. Sigh... I just call it RiD-X, like the septic tank cleaner.)
Old 05-06-2017, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CanTex
We had an '07 RX350 and weren't sad to see it go. It was tiring to drive on long runs, trying to keep it on-center. Plus the stick cruise control (see my avatar). I took my wife to the auto show at the Texas State Fair in October to look at possibilities for our next car since my son was expressing strong desire to purchase our '13 RDX. She was reluctant to get up close to the NX and RX because of the ugly styling. She did sit in both but couldn't wait to get out, the ergonomics and interior styling being totally unacceptable and ugly. On to the RDX area. "This is my car. I want one."

I later tried to get her to drive the Mercedes GLC and Buick Encore. Well, with the first, to get the same options as the RDX would have been waaaay up there, and the second, well, Motor Trend pretty much sunk that. (Though Encores are currently outselling the RDX.) So aside from her refusing to drive them, neither car was close to what we (she) wanted. (The first RDX was called Rodney so this one had to be Rudy. Sigh... I just call it RiD-X, like the septic tank cleaner.)
Yes, every girl that's been in my RDX loves it and always gives a great compliment on the vehicle.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chickdr
To be fair - the new Q5 has a 2.0T engine with 252 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque and a 7sp DSG. It makes less hp, but has more torque than the RDX. It is also quicker with its smaller motor at 5.9 seconds 0-60. Not bad for a 4 cylinder.....
Those are great specs for a 4 cylinder engine. The issue I have with 4 cylinder engines, aside from general lack of power for most 4 cylinders, is that the acceleration is not as smooth, and they aren't as resilient as a 6 cylinder. A 6 cylinder engine moving around say a 4000 lb car would not need to exert itself as much as a 4 cylinder engine. All things being equal, the 6 cylinder engine would last longer over time.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Racer

Small correction on my post above: Envision, not Encore. The Chinese one. It's not a driver's car because in China the owner would have a driver while he studied his newspaper in the back seat. Here, it kills me to have someone else drive.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
One other tidbit with the RDX is the gas tank is relatively small. It is 16 gallon and the RX is 19.2. It doesn't sound like a lot but it's the difference between filling up once a week vs. every 10 days.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:53 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Excellent review and comparisons by the OP Awesome thread.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by CanTex
Small correction on my post above: Envision, not Encore. The Chinese one. It's not a driver's car because in China the owner would have a driver while he studied his newspaper in the back seat. Here, it kills me to have someone else drive.
Lol I was thinking the encore is a bit small in that comparo.

I really like the Envision and think the interior looks really high quality (haven't been able to sit in one yet sadly). I like that it has a HUD as well. But hands down my favorite feature in the Envision is the GM version of SH-AWD. Like the Cadillac XT5, it can send 70% of power to the rear wheels and 100% of that rearward power to one individual wheel (like on turns). Sad that a buick now has SH-AWD and Acura thought it would be a good idea to take out of a car that previously had it.

I however would NOT pay the 56-60k Buick wants for the envision and would probably pick up a used model. But I am planning to hopefully keep my Sorento for another 3-5 years and then get either a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, or Jaguar F-Pace S....most likely going for the Porsche though. By then the new 2018 models will be out and would have depreciated nicely in the 3-4 year mark.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Racer

For the Envision, look up the Motor Trend article from not that long ago. They pointed out enough to let me know I didn't want one in spite of the nice packaging. On the Certified Pre-Owned list for me would be the '18 Volvo XC60. Looks intriguing. But the next car will likely be an RDX of some future iteration. My wife does NOT like change, and the basics of how you drive it will likely be similar to what she has now. ("Why waste money and a stupid nav system? Ever heard of a map?" Etc.)

Yes the smaller fuel tank is a problem and a pain but we're of an age where if we're traveling a potty break is very much welcomed. We took our TLX with the big tank and awesome mileage on our long run last year and not stopping became an "issue".
Old 05-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDX10

I really like the Envision and think the interior looks really high quality (haven't been able to sit in one yet sadly). I like that it has a HUD as well. But hands down my favorite feature in the Envision is the GM version of SH-AWD. Like the Cadillac XT5, it can send 70% of power to the rear wheels and 100% of that rearward power to one individual wheel (like on turns). Sad that a buick now has SH-AWD and Acura thought it would be a good idea to take out of a car that previously had it.

I however would NOT pay the 56-60k Buick wants for the envision and would probably pick up a used model. But I am planning to hopefully keep my Sorento for another 3-5 years and then get either a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, or Jaguar F-Pace S....most likely going for the Porsche though. By then the new 2018 models will be out and would have depreciated nicely in the 3-4 year mark.
I think you are thinking of a different mode (Enclave?)l as the Envision starts at $35k... FULLY loaded AWD it is a round 50k MSRP before discounts.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

I think you are thinking of a different mode (Enclave?)l as the Envision starts at $35k... FULLY loaded AWD it is a round 50k MSRP before discounts.
These are Canadian Prices. The Envision starts at 40K and can be priced up to 55k with the selection of the top premium II trim and the pano roof/convenience package not including taxes and fees.

The Top trim is the only trim I would have considered because the bottom ones are downright plebeian with very little for your 40K. Honestly even at 40K, I'm not willing to pay that much for a Buick. Not this decade at least.

Last edited by RDX10; 05-08-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Pro

These are Canadian Prices. The Envision starts at 40K and can be priced up to 55k with the selection of the top premium II trim and the pano roof/convenience package not including taxes and fees.

The Top trim is the only trim I would have considered because the bottom ones are downright plebeian with very little for your 40K. Honestly even at 40K, I'm not willing to pay that much for a Buick. Not this decade at least.
I see - Canadians sure have to pay a premium.....
Old 05-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

I see - Canadians sure have to pay a premium.....
Yeah we sure do! We even pay more for cars built in Canada. Iirc the MDX starts at 40k in the states? It starts at 52k here. The Jeep GC starts at 29k in the states, it starts at 39K here. RDX starts at 35k (is it 30k?), but it starts at 42k here. Most mainstream compact crossovers can be optioned up to the 45K mark here. But then I read on here you guys saying you can get some nice luxury cars for 40-45k. Some cars we pay the exact same prices as you do, but rarely.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Keeping in mind that as of today, one US dollar cost $1.37 Canadian, it seems we are getting a deal in some of your examples, or breaking even in some others. Of course we need to keep in mind that Acura Canada doesn't set their prices on a daily basis, but rather they choose a price that will work throughout the entire model year.

Iirc the MDX starts at 40k in the states? It starts at 52k here
$40,000 USD = $54,800 CAD (we Canadians do real well on this example)
The Jeep GC starts at 29k in the states, it starts at 39K here.
$29,000 USD = $39,700 CAD (we do OK on this one)
RDX starts at 35k (is it 30k?), but it starts at 42k here.
$35,000 USD = $47,950 CAD $30,000 USD = $41,100 CAD (we do real well to slight loss on this one, depending on the actual US cost)
FreddyBeach (06-09-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 08:34 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Perfect analysis by Rick.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by musty hustla
One other tidbit with the RDX is the gas tank is relatively small. It is 16 gallon and the RX is 19.2. It doesn't sound like a lot but it's the difference between filling up once a week vs. every 10 days.
But the RDX is more fuel efficient.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:36 AM
Burning Brakes

The Porsche is way too expensive to maintain. That was one of the main reasons I got the RDX instead of the porsche macan.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Keeping in mind that as of today, one US dollar cost $1.37 Canadian, it seems we are getting a deal in some of your examples, or breaking even in some others. Of course we need to keep in mind that Acura Canada doesn't set their prices on a daily basis, but rather they choose a price that will work throughout the entire model year.

$40,000 USD = $54,800 CAD (we Canadians do real well on this example)

$29,000 USD = $39,700 CAD (we do OK on this one)

$35,000 USD = $47,950 CAD $30,000 USD = $41,100 CAD (we do real well to slight loss on this one, depending on the actual US cost)
Yeah, the RDX in canada is less expensive if you compare the USCad exchange rate. However, if the price of oil/gold rises (which I think it will), the value of the Canadian dollar will rise with it. So in the next few years, the Canadian dollar should be on an uptrend.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:53 AM
Racer

As an ex-pat I can see how the exchange rate looks good. But that's mainly if you're moving from the U.S. with new money. Canadians would have to be making the same percentage more than their American counterparts as well as deal with higher taxes. I remember when we were transferred to Texas, when the exchange rate was a lot closer, I didn't get a raise but with the lower tax rates and lower cost of living we were able to up our living standards quite a bit. Same thing for all those Silicon Valley folks moving to Austin.

If I still lived in Canada under the same living standards I would be so happy to brag on my newly-acquired four-year-old CRV with 140.000 km on it, not enjoying Acuras.

Last edited by CanTex; 05-10-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
It is difficult to compare USA prices to Canadian prices. Base model American RDX is a FWD vehicle without AcuraWatch, where as the Canadian model comes standard with AWD and the complete AcuraWatch. The Canadian RDX with Technology comes with most of the items that Americans have to purchase the Advance package to get. A 2017 RDX Technology which comes with not only the upgraded stereo system, navigation but also integrated remote car starter and heated rear seats will cost Canadians $47,000, however if paying in US dollars it would cost $37,000 +/- which is a great deal indeed!!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have both vehicles. My SO drives the RX normally and I drive the RDX. The three things that I like about the RX over the RDX - 12" nav screen, ride comfort and quieter cabin. I also find that the RX has more cargo floor space. Then there are the safety feature that the RX has that the 2014 RDX doesn't, but since the MMC most, if not all of them, are now available on RDX. Other than that, I prefer the RDX - it's more responsive in terms of throttle and steering, it has paddle shifters and it's much easier to wash (fewer nooks and crannies). It's almost time to replace my RDX and I'm not sure if the unchanged 2018 RDX will make the finals for any reason other than total package price and the V6. Unless I jump to MDX which is really too big for our needs (the RX replaced our Pilot) it could be the first time that I've been Honda/Acura-less in 16 years.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Techgirl
I have both vehicles. My SO drives the RX normally and I drive the RDX. The three things that I like about the RX over the RDX - 12" nav screen, ride comfort and quieter cabin. I also find that the RX has more cargo floor space. Then there are the safety feature that the RX has that the 2014 RDX doesn't, but since the MMC most, if not all of them, are now available on RDX. Other than that, I prefer the RDX - it's more responsive in terms of throttle and steering, it has paddle shifters and it's much easier to wash (fewer nooks and crannies). It's almost time to replace my RDX and I'm not sure if the unchanged 2018 RDX will make the finals for any reason other than total package price and the V6. Unless I jump to MDX which is really too big for our needs (the RX replaced our Pilot) it could be the first time that I've been Honda/Acura-less in 16 years.
What was the price difference between the RDX and RX350? Are they comparable trim levels?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Burning Brakes

What was the price difference between the RDX and RX350? Are they comparable trim levels?
In Canada, the difference between a fully loaded RX and RDX: RX is about $20,000 more. Clearly, the RX is not worth the price difference.

The direct competitor, a fully loaded NX is something like $15,000 more than the RDX as well, if I remember correctly.

Acura by far offers the best value in the luxury car market.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The RX350 is much more expensive ($10K+) than my RDX. The RX that we have is fairly well equipped but isn't an F-Sport or Luxury Package.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:54 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I am bumping this in case anyone has any new input with regard to the 2020 models. I am liking the RDX Advance, but figure I should also consider the Lexus NX and RX too. I haven’t been to a Lexus dealer yet to check them out.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Old thread, ha?
I did not drive 2019 RDX enough to form an opinion about it. But, we have 2016 RX (Tech+AW) and 2017 NX200t in family. My wife mostly drives RDX and I drive NX.
- Both vehicles have lousy infotainment system.
- Seats in NX head and shoulders above RDX seats.
- Driving dynamics - NX much better. Not acceleration from stop, but driving, handling, etc.
- From stop, RDX is quicker. However, acceleration while moving NX is faster.
- Mpg is about the same.
Overall, I take NX (2017) over RDX (2nd gen) any time. Drive both and decide for yourself. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:27 PM
Racer

Thanks. I just did a quick comparison, and it looks like the Lexus RX is about $10k more than the RDX. That's a serious amount of money. I'll need to visit a Lexus dealer soon just to check them out, but I think it will be tough for Lexus to beat the value of the RDX when it comes to what you get for your money.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
RDX is not in the same league as Lexus RX. RX is bigger and more luxurious, but... We used to have RX and I did not like driving it. It is not as nimble as RDX or NX.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Racer

Sorry up front for the long ramble...

So, I checked out the RX and NX yesterday. A fully loaded, and optioned out 2020 NX 300 has an MSRP of just over $50k, and it doesn't have everything the RDX Advance has for $48k. It does have the power folding mirrors which I like, but there are no power outlets for back seat riders, no 12 volt power up front for my radar detector, no option for heated rear seats, and significantly less room for passengers and cargo.

A nicely equipped RX 350 runs $58k, and still doesn't have any USB power outlets for rear seat passengers, but it did have a 12 volt outlet so that would work. Unless I missed something, there was no option for heated rear seats. I thought it was odd that a vehicle like a highly decked out RX 350 doesn't offer heated rear seats??? There was plenty of passenger room, but the RDX has more cargo space and it's more useful (to me).

I had priced out the NX before I went to the dealership and really wanted to like it, but in the end, it just didn't seem anywhere near as nice as the Advance trim RDX (to me).

I also checked out a 2020 BMW X3, which was very, very nice, but just didn't "feel" right to me. Then a 2019 Audi Q5 Premium+ Trim which was also very nice. But to equip it like the Advance RDX you need the Prestige package and a couple of other options that put it over the $55k price.

I then went to the Mercedes dealership to check out the GLC 300 4matic. This was a very nice car, but to equip it like the RDX gives it an MSRP of $54,030.

All of the above SUVs have power folding mirrors, but lack some other option the RDX has, and they all have less space. As much as I want to consider the other vehicles, I keep coming back to the RDX. And, the more I look at other SUV prices, the easier it is to justify the jump from the Tech package to the Advance package.

After checking out all of the above SUVs, I went back to the Acura and took a Tech out for a 20 min drive, then took an Advance out for about 30 min. I do still want to drive the GLC 300, and the Audi Q5, just for comparison, but the more I think about it the 2020 Advance RDX is the vehicle for me.

-Cuzz
kaehlin (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Cuzz,

You realize that this thread is mostly comparing the Lexus models with the 2nd Gen RDX which ended with the 2018 Model Year.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 09-30-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Cuzz,

You realize that this thread is mostly comparing the Lexus models with the 2nd Gen RDX which ended with the 2018 Model Year.
Ummmm, oops. Never mind...

Old 10-04-2019, 07:36 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by Cuzz
Sorry up front for the long ramble...

So, I checked out the RX and NX yesterday. A fully loaded, and optioned out 2020 NX 300 has an MSRP of just over $50k, and it doesn't have everything the RDX Advance has for $48k. It does have the power folding mirrors which I like, but there are no power outlets for back seat riders, no 12 volt power up front for my radar detector, no option for heated rear seats, and significantly less room for passengers and cargo.

A nicely equipped RX 350 runs $58k, and still doesn't have any USB power outlets for rear seat passengers, but it did have a 12 volt outlet so that would work. Unless I missed something, there was no option for heated rear seats. I thought it was odd that a vehicle like a highly decked out RX 350 doesn't offer heated rear seats??? There was plenty of passenger room, but the RDX has more cargo space and it's more useful (to me).

I had priced out the NX before I went to the dealership and really wanted to like it, but in the end, it just didn't seem anywhere near as nice as the Advance trim RDX (to me).

I also checked out a 2020 BMW X3, which was very, very nice, but just didn't "feel" right to me. Then a 2019 Audi Q5 Premium+ Trim which was also very nice. But to equip it like the Advance RDX you need the Prestige package and a couple of other options that put it over the $55k price.

I then went to the Mercedes dealership to check out the GLC 300 4matic. This was a very nice car, but to equip it like the RDX gives it an MSRP of $54,030.

All of the above SUVs have power folding mirrors, but lack some other option the RDX has, and they all have less space. As much as I want to consider the other vehicles, I keep coming back to the RDX. And, the more I look at other SUV prices, the easier it is to justify the jump from the Tech package to the Advance package.

After checking out all of the above SUVs, I went back to the Acura and took a Tech out for a 20 min drive, then took an Advance out for about 30 min. I do still want to drive the GLC 300, and the Audi Q5, just for comparison, but the more I think about it the 2020 Advance RDX is the vehicle for me.

-Cuzz
Congratulations. This is what I’ve been always saying. There is no true competitor to the RDX in its price (for the size / class/ options). It’s the absolute best value for money luxury car.
You did it the right way, by going and test driving all the competitors and yes in the end you came back to RDX. Speaks a lot about the car. Congratulations again.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:42 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Cuzz,

You’re right, but comparisons are always welcome. Isn’t it?
Old 10-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
I remember watching a lot of review videos when contemplating buying a used RDX. One of those guys pointed out that this is a premium vehicle,
not a luxury one. His main point about that is that if you were buying a new X-3 for instance, you can get any combo of colors and option packages you want.
With a Acura, Honda makes it their way and you just have to like it. That color only comes with that interior. That feature only comes with that model level.
It actually makes shopping easier.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:30 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Acura definitely simplified the process, gave me everything I wanted (v6 6at, awd, heated leatherette, moon roof) and everything I did not (unecessary glitchy tech) in two simple options both easily available.
Toyota/ Lexus had many trim packages that forced me into extras I wouldn't want. Good luck finding a suitable one on the lot. Rx & NX was a beauty no doubt, but was a little too posh extravagant for my liking, def was not worth the extra 5-10 grand for an everyday deplorable like myself, woodgrain and chrome no need. Honda feels like home, great value to be had
Old 10-05-2019, 05:50 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
You’re right, but comparisons are always welcome. Isn’t it?
Absolutely! Just wanted to point out the different Generations being compared here. Two years ago I considered the Gen 2 RDX (2018) and bought a '18 CR-V Touring (Gen 5) instead. While it wasn't in the same class as the RDX, it offered way more features then the aging Gen 2 RDX, which was based on the (even more) aged Gen 4 CR-V. Then traded the 18 CRV after one year for the Gen 3 RDX. I also compared the Lexus models against the Gen 3 RDX. Cheers
Comfy (10-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Acura RDX vs Lexus NX vs Lexus RX