Acura RDX or Lincoln MKC Poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 05:05 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Acura RDX or Lincoln MKC Poll

Autoguide has an online poll running (posted March 29th 2017) pitting the Acura RDX against Lincoln's MKC. The article leading up to the poll is certainly lacking in detail but the voting (however unscientific) is fun.

I drove both and spent a lot of time in each at a local auto show before bringing the RDX home. I liked being able to update maps and systems via wi-fi when the Lincoln is parked at home but In the end the RDX 6 cylinder sold me over the MKC turbo even though the RDX is just a little less powerful.

Spoiler alert. At this writing, the Acura is well ahead in the poll, 71% to 29%.

Cheers

Last edited by Gadgetjq; 03-31-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Gadgetjq
Autoguide has an online poll running pitting the Acura RDX against Lincoln's MKC. The article leading up to the poll is certainly lacking in detail but the voting (however unscientific) is fun. Spoiler alert. At this writing, the Acura is well ahead, 71% to 29%.

Cheers
I seen this a few days ago, I was shocked to see such a lead to be honest.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:28 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Fixing The Link

Oops, I think my link got just a bit corrupted and there's no way to edit the OP. Here's the article/poll. Sorry about that.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:51 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
I just read the article. They’re comparing a 2015 model year. The 2016+ RDX is so much better. Better engine, Better VCM, More H.P. and torque, and the AWD is also far better (25% for 2013-2015 to 40% for 2016+ models and can actually split up to 50/50 front/rear under extreme conditions) albeit still not SH-AWD.

And talk about features? If you go with the Advance RDX it’s got all the bells and whistles if you will. Adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, blind-spot warning, just to name a few.

So, there are my two cents.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
I just read the article. They’re comparing a 2015 model year. The 2016+ RDX is so much better. Better engine, Better VCM, More H.P. and torque, and the AWD is also far better (25% for 2013-2015 to 40% for 2016+ models and can actually split up to 50/50 front/rear under extreme conditions) albeit still not SH-AWD.

And talk about features? If you go with the Advance RDX it’s got all the bells and whistles if you will. Adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, blind-spot warning, just to name a few.

So, there are my two cents.
Not sure where you are looking but that is a 2016+ RDX in the comparo. Both the pic and engine specs are the 2016 model.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:09 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by RDX10
Not sure where you are looking but that is a 2016+ RDX in the comparo. Both the pic and engine specs are the 2016 model.
My bad. I just went to the Autoguide site and accidently read a 2015 review and thought that was what this was about. But, my comments about the AWD system still hold true.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:13 PM
Suzuka Master

My bad. I just went to the Autoguide site and accidently read a 2015 review and thought that was what this was about. But, my comments about the AWD system still hold true.
iirc it can only send a maximum of 40% to the rear, never ever heard of 50/50 even in extreme conditions to be honest with you.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:23 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by RDX10
iirc it can only send a maximum of 40% to the rear, never ever heard of 50/50 even in extreme conditions to be honest with you.
Here you go:

The available RDX All-Wheel Drive (AWD) system is designed to help maximize the use of available traction in both dry and slippery conditions, while minimizing system-wide friction and power loss to help optimize fuel efficiency.
  • In normal cruising, the system operates as an efficient FWD vehicle with 100% of engine torque being directed to the front wheels.
  • During moderate acceleration or when front wheel slip is detected in dry conditions, up to 40% of engine torque is transferred to the rear wheels.
  • On a wet or slippery surface, wheel slippage will cause a reduction in engine output to the front wheels possibly to a point where torque is distributed 50/50 between the front and rear wheels.
  • Systemic efficiencies allow the AWD model to have a combined EPA fuel economy rating of only one mile per gallon below the front-wheel drive model.
AWD with Intelligent Control
The RDX employs a sophisticated yet lightweight, compact and efficient all-wheel-drive system called AWD with Intelligent Control, which provides a high degree of four-wheel-drive sophistication on paved and dirt roads as well as in inclement conditions such as rain or snow. Operation of the AWD system is completely automatic and is virtually transparent to the driver.

The capabilities of the AWD system are prioritized to support high fuel efficiency and all-around good drivability. AWD with Intelligent Control can operate at all speeds when needed, but when torque transfer to the rear wheels is not required (such as when cruising), drive to the rear wheels is decoupled for reduced drag. However, when accelerating from a stop, AWD with Intelligent Control sends power to the rear wheels while constantly communicating with Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) and the new Motion-Adaptive Electric Power Steering (EPS) to detect any traction issues.

The major components of the AWD system consist of a conventional front-wheel-drive system, a compact transfer case that distributes torque to a driveshaft running the length of the vehicle, a rear differential, a new electronically-controlled hydraulic pump, a multi-plate clutch, and left and right rear axles.

For AWD with Intelligent Control, a multi-plate clutch (similar to the clutches used in an automatic transmission) is used to engage the driveshaft connected to the rear differential. The new AWD system uses an electric motor to drive a single hydraulic pump, which operates the clutch. The electric motor is controlled by the Intelligent Control system, which means that the system can actively apportion power based on specific road conditions.

For example, when starting on snow the system sends power to the rear wheels right from the start, which minimizes the potential for front wheel spin. In cooperation with the new Hill Start Assist feature, AWD with Intelligent Control can also detect when the RDX is climbing a hill— and can send a greater amount of power to the rear wheels.

Torque splits of AWD with Intelligent Control
AWD with Intelligent Control distributes the driving force to front wheels and rear wheels automatically during acceleration and cornering, varying the torque split for optimum performance in response to driving conditions.

For 2016, the rear differential has been reengineered and the AWD system's control logic has been upgraded, allowing up to 40 percent of engine torque to be sent to the rear wheels, versus 25 percent on the 2015 model, resulting in more positive traction in slippery conditions.

During steady state cruising, 100-percent of the engine power is sent to the front wheels if sufficient traction is available.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Here you go:

The available RDX All-Wheel Drive (AWD) system is designed to help maximize the use of available traction in both dry and slippery conditions, while minimizing system-wide friction and power loss to help optimize fuel efficiency.
  • In normal cruising, the system operates as an efficient FWD vehicle with 100% of engine torque being directed to the front wheels.
  • During moderate acceleration or when front wheel slip is detected in dry conditions, up to 40% of engine torque is transferred to the rear wheels.
  • On a wet or slippery surface, wheel slippage will cause a reduction in engine output to the front wheels possibly to a point where torque is distributed 50/50 between the front and rear wheels.
  • Systemic efficiencies allow the AWD model to have a combined EPA fuel economy rating of only one mile per gallon below the front-wheel drive model.
AWD with Intelligent Control
The RDX employs a sophisticated yet lightweight, compact and efficient all-wheel-drive system called AWD with Intelligent Control, which provides a high degree of four-wheel-drive sophistication on paved and dirt roads as well as in inclement conditions such as rain or snow. Operation of the AWD system is completely automatic and is virtually transparent to the driver.

The capabilities of the AWD system are prioritized to support high fuel efficiency and all-around good drivability. AWD with Intelligent Control can operate at all speeds when needed, but when torque transfer to the rear wheels is not required (such as when cruising), drive to the rear wheels is decoupled for reduced drag. However, when accelerating from a stop, AWD with Intelligent Control sends power to the rear wheels while constantly communicating with Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) and the new Motion-Adaptive Electric Power Steering (EPS) to detect any traction issues.

The major components of the AWD system consist of a conventional front-wheel-drive system, a compact transfer case that distributes torque to a driveshaft running the length of the vehicle, a rear differential, a new electronically-controlled hydraulic pump, a multi-plate clutch, and left and right rear axles.

For AWD with Intelligent Control, a multi-plate clutch (similar to the clutches used in an automatic transmission) is used to engage the driveshaft connected to the rear differential. The new AWD system uses an electric motor to drive a single hydraulic pump, which operates the clutch. The electric motor is controlled by the Intelligent Control system, which means that the system can actively apportion power based on specific road conditions.

For example, when starting on snow the system sends power to the rear wheels right from the start, which minimizes the potential for front wheel spin. In cooperation with the new Hill Start Assist feature, AWD with Intelligent Control can also detect when the RDX is climbing a hill— and can send a greater amount of power to the rear wheels.

Torque splits of AWD with Intelligent Control
AWD with Intelligent Control distributes the driving force to front wheels and rear wheels automatically during acceleration and cornering, varying the torque split for optimum performance in response to driving conditions.

For 2016, the rear differential has been reengineered and the AWD system's control logic has been upgraded, allowing up to 40 percent of engine torque to be sent to the rear wheels, versus 25 percent on the 2015 model, resulting in more positive traction in slippery conditions.

During steady state cruising, 100-percent of the engine power is sent to the front wheels if sufficient traction is available.
The parts you bolded prove my point. It says UP TO 40%, this means a maximum of 40% of power can go to the rear under all conditions. Had they said up to 50% I would have agreed with you. They used a play on words to trick you into thinking 50% could go to the rear (I.e, in slippery conditions the ECM will retard engine power and in effect 50% of the reduced power goes to the rear wheels) they use the word "possibly" to get around any legal implications of outright lying about the amount of power going to the rear, this is why they say UP TO 40% twice so as to not come off as misleading. But seeing as how you read it to imply 50%, they contradicted themselves twice and still mislead people.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I'm not surprised. Lincolns just aren't very good. They have all the bells and whistles, but they simply aren't good cars underneath.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:45 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
The longer this poll goes, the lesser the MKC will fare, just like comparing the resale values of both cars when used for a few years. . .
Old 04-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Gadgetjq
Autoguide has an online poll running (posted March 29th 2017) pitting the Acura RDX against Lincoln's MKC. The article leading up to the poll is certainly lacking in detail but the voting (however unscientific) is fun.

I drove both and spent a lot of time in each at a local auto show before bringing the RDX home. I liked being able to update maps and systems via wi-fi when the Lincoln is parked at home but In the end the RDX 6 cylinder sold me over the MKC turbo even though the RDX is just a little less powerful.

Spoiler alert. At this writing, the Acura is well ahead in the poll, 71% to 29%.

Cheers
We drove a '16 MKC so we could get the $75 Visa card promised to us at an auto show. The luxo parts were very nice but everything else just didn't feel right. The Lincoln-y feel would get tiresome very soon and you've got 32 months left on that lease. Generally not as practical or as sure-footed as the RDX. Plus the dealer sucked - I sat in the shadow of an F250 crew-cab in the showroom.Then there was the low-end "What's it going to take to get you in this car today?" crap and follow-up phone pestering. Uh-uh.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:14 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I was very impressed with the pictures of Lincoln continental (sedan). I found one in a local auto show and got very excited (the doors were open). As soon as I entered and tried to close the close, something strange happened. The door wouldn't stay closed. It simply bounced off the car body. There was nothing blocking it but it didn't simply stay locked. There was no clicking sound of the door lock as well. Then I figured it out. It's all electronic. And apparently the battery was disconnected for the show. So essentially there is nothing holding the doors. It simply splays open and closed whichever way gravity works. That is total nonsense. If you parked your car somewhere for a length of time and the battery dies, anything in the car (potentially the car itself) is up for grabs. . Somebody please tell me otherwise, that the continental has mechanical door locks as back up at least and the model I saw was just a one off abomination.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
I was very impressed with the pictures of Lincoln continental (sedan). I found one in a local auto show and got very excited (the doors were open). As soon as I entered and tried to close the close, something strange happened. The door wouldn't stay closed. It simply bounced off the car body. There was nothing blocking it but it didn't simply stay locked. There was no clicking sound of the door lock as well. Then I figured it out. It's all electronic. And apparently the battery was disconnected for the show. So essentially there is nothing holding the doors. It simply splays open and closed whichever way gravity works. That is total nonsense. If you parked your car somewhere for a length of time and the battery dies, anything in the car (potentially the car itself) is up for grabs. . Somebody please tell me otherwise, that the continental has mechanical door locks as back up at least and the model I saw was just a one off abomination.
It is possible they disabled the locking mechanisms on that car because they were worried someone would get locked inside, after all it has emergency releases to open the doors found on the lower portion of the door iirc from a video (near the storage area, it has to do with the weird door handles).
Old 04-06-2017, 11:26 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Congratulations. It's an awesome looking car. Welcome to the club.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Not surprised at all. I knew from day one when this poll was up that RDX will win by a big margin.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drove the '16 Lincoln MKC and the '16 Acura RDX. I didn't see anything that was the "DECIDER" between the 2 other than the marketing of the MKC. Apparently, Ford feels that Lincoln is just not popular enough to support a dealer network for the division. So if you want a Lincoln, you have to go to a Ford dealer that also sells Lincolns. And in truth, the MKC is a dolled up Ford Escape. On the other hand, the RDX is a dolled up Honda CR-V, but at least the RDX is sold by Acura dealers.

That said, I think my '16 RDX Advanced is the best SUV I've owned. My only complaint is the annoying buzzer that goes off when I park, shut the engine down and open the door. That's when I get the loud annoying buzz, I guess to remind me that I've opened the door. Huh, I've just opened the door, do I need to be reminded of it. I don't see any option to shut this warning off.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:45 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by Starflyer
I drove the '16 Lincoln MKC and the '16 Acura RDX. I didn't see anything that was the "DECIDER" between the 2 other than the marketing of the MKC. Apparently, Ford feels that Lincoln is just not popular enough to support a dealer network for the division. So if you want a Lincoln, you have to go to a Ford dealer that also sells Lincolns. And in truth, the MKC is a dolled up Ford Escape. On the other hand, the RDX is a dolled up Honda CR-V, but at least the RDX is sold by Acura dealers.

That said, I think my '16 RDX Advanced is the best SUV I've owned. My only complaint is the annoying buzzer that goes off when I park, shut the engine down and open the door. That's when I get the loud annoying buzz, I guess to remind me that I've opened the door. Huh, I've just opened the door, do I need to be reminded of it. I don't see any option to shut this warning off.
I also have a 2016 RDX Advance. Are you sure you're talking about the door and not the hatchback? The doors don't make any buzz other than the beep to lock/unlock but the hatch has that loud annoying beep opening regardless if the vehicle is on or off. And the beep (or buzz) if even worse when closing. Maybe that's what you meant?
Old 04-08-2017, 11:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also have a 2016 RDX Advance. Are you sure you're talking about the door and not the hatchback? The doors don't make any buzz other than the beep to lock/unlock but the hatch has that loud annoying beep opening regardless if the vehicle is on or off. And the beep (or buzz) if even worse when closing. Maybe that's what you meant?
No, it's the driver's door. I assume the passenger door makes the same noise, but I couldn't swear to it. Happens everytime. Engine off and tranny in park. As soon as I crack the door, the buzzer goes off. Parking brake not on??? I'll have to check that one. I very seldom use the parking brake unless I'm on a hill.