Acura "luxury ride"

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura "luxury ride"

Background: I'm on my sixth Honda right now (2004 Accord). In September I want to buy something a bit more upscale. This will be my first starter luxury car. Of course I thought of Acura first, especially I was one of the 25 people that went crazy for the original "beak" and drastic angles in front and back of the TL. I love high-tech and modern looking. I will NEVER drive a car with real or simulated wood trim. The more buttons and gadgets the better. I test drove a TL and a 2013 RDX last weekend (I like the high-tech look of the TL much better, but the RDX may work out more practical for the family). The one thing that struck me immediately when I started driving it is that the steering wheel felt almost disconnected. There was hardly any feedback and it turned very freely (a bit less so in the TL). It did take a bit of the fun out of driving. Granted this is on a 10-minute test drive... It's certainly easier to drive, and I do take long trips, but it would take getting used to. It *is* very responsive (I turn the wheel and the car turns quickly), but I missed the feedback. So here's my question: Is that disconnectedness... "luxury"? Or at least "entry luxury"? Is "luxury" somehow the opposite of "sporty"? Sporty cars fight back a bit and let you know when you've run over every rock. This felt like I was phoning it in to someone else who was driving. Is that a feature? Are all luxury cars (in that price range; I'm sure there are much sportier luxury cards closer to $50K+) going to feel like that? Or is that part of the new electronic power steering? Should I expect the same experience from the TL? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
That's Acura's "electric power steering". I had issues with it when I test-drove the new RDX as well. I've driven a 4G TL and didn't notice the disconnected feel in it as much as I do the RDX. With the RDX, I thought I was spinning the roulette wheel sometimes. lol. Even the sales guy said that was one of the first things everybody at the dealership noticed when they first drove it. It's just the way it is now with attempts at fuel-saving, I guess. I wish they'd tweak it a bit.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Originally Posted by dj_segfault
Background: I'm on my sixth Honda right now (2004 Accord). In September I want to buy something a bit more upscale. This will be my first starter luxury car. Of course I thought of Acura first, especially I was one of the 25 people that went crazy for the original "beak" and drastic angles in front and back of the TL. I love high-tech and modern looking. I will NEVER drive a car with real or simulated wood trim. The more buttons and gadgets the better. I test drove a TL and a 2013 RDX last weekend (I like the high-tech look of the TL much better, but the RDX may work out more practical for the family). The one thing that struck me immediately when I started driving it is that the steering wheel felt almost disconnected. There was hardly any feedback and it turned very freely (a bit less so in the TL). It did take a bit of the fun out of driving. Granted this is on a 10-minute test drive... It's certainly easier to drive, and I do take long trips, but it would take getting used to. It *is* very responsive (I turn the wheel and the car turns quickly), but I missed the feedback. So here's my question: Is that disconnectedness... "luxury"? Or at least "entry luxury"? Is "luxury" somehow the opposite of "sporty"? Sporty cars fight back a bit and let you know when you've run over every rock. This felt like I was phoning it in to someone else who was driving. Is that a feature? Are all luxury cars (in that price range; I'm sure there are much sportier luxury cards closer to $50K+) going to feel like that? Or is that part of the new electronic power steering? Should I expect the same experience from the TL? Thanks.
It's the build and the way the car is made, I think. Mind you, I don't own the new TL or RDX.

I would urge you to also consider other manufacturers too. Check out the Infiniti FX35, Audi Q5, BMW X3, and Mercedes-Benz GLK as well in your shopping if you're going after something in the cross-over market.

As for the TL's competition, check out the BMW 3-Series, Infiniti G-Series, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class...

You can then definitely get an idea of the different feels for steering and etc. Good luck. Car shopping is good times.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
rocket hit it right on the head...EPS...i've driven a number of 4G TL loaners...while they all drove nicely...the steering was muted compared to the 3g TL and the 2g MDX with the hydraulic steering pump.

wonder if the RDX makes the same "woosh" noise when turning hard and slow in a parking lot? the 4g TL does...it's rather annoying.

as yumcha said...shop other luxury brands...you never know what you're gonna get. certainly if you like tech and buttons...acura would hit the top of that list.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
dj_segfault...I own both a 2012 TL and a 2013 RDX and I know what you are saying about teh steering feel. There is no doubt that compared to the hydraulic Power Steerings of Acura/Honda of the days, these EPS feel more disconnected. That being said, it is just a feeling and don't think they will be accurate, it just takes some getting used to. I love BOTH the RDX and the TL and I have grown accustomed to the Acura steering feel (I have had 4 Acura now). I had a chance to test drive the Q5 prior to the RDX and there is no doubt that Audi have a much more feedback given to to the driver so if you are considering the RDX, an Audi equivalent wuold be the Q5 if that is the feel you want, The Q5 feels a bit smaller...that is what I like about the RDX...it is now bigger than the previous generation but smaller than the MDX.
The following users liked this post:
dj_segfault (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I haven't noticed the "electric power steering feel" or lack of feel. But, I have been driving a 2001 MDX for the last 11 years. Maybe the old MDX steering was closer to the 2013 RDX than other newer Acura models.

Regards, Jim
Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
if you want to feel disconnected steering try a ML 350.....even my wife was like WTF and was done the test drive in about 5 minutes.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:00 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I wonder what people said when that 'new fangled' power steering came out? Ever driven a car with no power steering? Now that is road feel! I don't think anyone longs for those days but we all had stronger arms for sure. Electric steering is something we're all going to have to get used to. Maybe they can put some feel back into the system but like CVTs it is going to be hard to avoid.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Yumcha
It's the build and the way the car is made, I think. Mind you, I don't own the new TL or RDX.

I would urge you to also consider other manufacturers too. Check out the Infiniti FX35, Audi Q5, BMW X3, and Mercedes-Benz GLK as well in your shopping if you're going after something in the cross-over market.

As for the TL's competition, check out the BMW 3-Series, Infiniti G-Series, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class...

You can then definitely get an idea of the different feels for steering and etc. Good luck. Car shopping is good times.
I did research those cars. Aside from some preference issues (none of those cars look very high-tech and modern), if you comparably equip them, those cars are several thousand dollars more (I think a 3-series equipped similar to a RDX AWD Tech was about $51K), which makes the comparison less relevant, and pushes them out of my price range. So the lesson from this is that luxury and sporty aren't mutually exclusive, but entry level luxury may be.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by weather
dj_segfault...I own both a 2012 TL and a 2013 RDX and I know what you are saying about teh steering feel. There is no doubt that compared to the hydraulic Power Steerings of Acura/Honda of the days, these EPS feel more disconnected. That being said, it is just a feeling and don't think they will be accurate, it just takes some getting used to. I love BOTH the RDX and the TL and I have grown accustomed to the Acura steering feel (I have had 4 Acura now). I had a chance to test drive the Q5 prior to the RDX and there is no doubt that Audi have a much more feedback given to to the driver so if you are considering the RDX, an Audi equivalent wuold be the Q5 if that is the feel you want, The Q5 feels a bit smaller...that is what I like about the RDX...it is now bigger than the previous generation but smaller than the MDX.
Thanks. It's good to know that you can get used to it. It's a shame, though. Like I said in my last post, comparably equipped the Q5 is quite a bit more money, and quite a bit less interesting looking. I tend to keep cars for a long time, so I really want to make sure I'll like it.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
I haven't driven the new RDX but most vehicles in that demographic are tuned for comfort rather than sport. Less effort to turn the wheel and more damping in the steering components to smooth it out.