2nd Generation RDX Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the "long awaited" Consumer reports review....they nit-pick i bit too much IMO...For example, they rave about the price tag, but then complain that the windshield pillar isn't covered in cloth. Acura owners get more of what they really want without all the excess of what they really don't need. I prefer the "hard windshield pillar" over a $40,000+ base price tag. I also disagree with their take on the handling and ride, especially compared to the Audi and BMW where I found neither too be all that compelling, and still too much road noise? They are entitled to their opinion, I guess. Consumer guide's review was the most realistic, not this!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by madrye28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OKpT...3&feature=plcp

Here is the "long awaited" Consumer reports review....they nit-pick i bit too much IMO...For example, they rave about the price tag, but then complain that the windshield pillar isn't covered in cloth. Acura owners get more of what they really want without all the excess of what they really don't need. I prefer the "hard windshield pillar" over a $40,000+ base price tag. I also disagree with their take on the handling and ride, especially compared to the Audi and BMW where I found neither too be all that compelling, and still too much road noise? They are entitled to their opinion, I guess. Consumer guide's review was the most realistic, not this!
I would have to agree that the ride is a bit busy and cabin road noise particularly at highway speeds on rough roads needs improvement. While I don't tow, when you have such power, you would expect more towing capacity. All in all I found it to be a sound review of this years best all-around luxury CUV.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would really disagree on the road noise issue. I think it is one of the most quiet cars on the road and one thing they really did right. Yes, you feel the road and bumps, but I like that. It give the car a sporty feel. Did not test the BMW X3, but I feel that sporty compact suv describes the RDX perfectly.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post USA 2day

For people in business, there are tasteful flops and ghastly successes.

After enough such hard-knock schooling, the point becomes clear:

You can earn a pile giving people what they want. You cannot, necessarily, by giving them what you think they should want.

It's a point dawning on Japanese automakers, perhaps at the expense of their brand identities.

Nissan's Infiniti luxury brand recently introduced the JX35 crossover SUV, eschewing a number of touches that make Infiniti stand out. And, wow, the JX exploded out of showrooms to instantly become the second-best-selling Infiniti model.

Now it's Honda's Acura premium brand heading that way. The Honda Civic-based ILX small sedan is nothing to cheer about: too bland and tepid-performing (save for the very good 2.4-liter version).

The fully remade 2013 RDX crossover SUV has some of the same watered-down feel. But it went on sale April 2 and immediately was a big hit. June sales were nearly 3 times those of a year ago. May sales, a bit higher than June's, were the best of any month in RDX history, Acura says.

Launched in 2007 as an edgy, turbocharged, zip gun of a utility machine, RDX won points with auto writers, but not among people who pay actual money for vehicles.

The 2013 model is bigger, softer-feeling, smoother-driving. All worthy.

But it's also a bit dumbed-down from Acura's historic high-tech/high-class approach. The best example of that is the all-wheel drive. Previously, it was Acura's sporty super-handling all-wheel drive (SH-AWD). Now, the optional all-wheel drive setup is commonplace: front drive, with the ability to kick some power to the rear wheels as needed.

On the other hand, it works fine and probably will suit most people most of the time.

Acura tuned the system to allow some wheelspin up front before the rear wheels add their grab. That avoids the power-chopping traction-control engagement that happens in some systems before they deign to provide rear-wheel power.

It ought to be noted, too, that today's front-drive/all-wheel drive systems have graduated to credible, from the grades of D or F most earned in earlier times because they were slow to react and lacked sophistication in how they apportioned power. So perhaps the lack of SH-AWD is a theoretical dumbing-down, rather than a practical 1.

But there are other examples. The automatic transmission now pauses between hard-throttle downshifts. A driving buff would want it to snap down a gear right-by-gosh-now when the gas pedal is pushed hard.

In its favor, though, upshifts are crisp, and light-throttle downshifts remain agreeable.

Another example: Handling — defined as the elan and flat stance with which a vehicle rounds a tight, fast corner and the confidence it gives the driver while doing so — is OK, but doesn't invite you to do any flinging.

But, then, maybe you don't want to fling. Many SUV drivers don't.

The new engine is a 3.5-liter V-6; no more turbo four. Yippee, you say, noticing that its 273 advertised horsepower is a robust 33 hp more than in the turbo 4. What you won't see Acura champion, though, is that the V-6 has less torque than the 4-cylinder.

Reasons why a lot of buyers apparently don't care about any of those things:

•Roominess. Old RDX was a tight fit. New one's not. The rear seat, especially, is sized for adults. And the back bench is high enough that long-legged folk don't have to sit with legs jackknifed severely.

•Simple sophistication. The instrument panel is a pleasing layout of ordinary analog gauges, easy to see and decipher.

It's combined with the big screen that presents the navigation, audio system and other necessaries. A handy and decipherable knob controls those features in the RDX. A touch of the ol' BMW iDrive without the aggravation it can cause.

•Mileage. The RDX is rated low-20s in mixed city/highway use. You won't cause the oil cabal to weep, but neither will you feel as if you're being unduly punished for buying a vehicle that suits your needs.

•Ride comfort.
Just enough firmness to avoid slop, and that's the blend a lot of people seem to prefer instead of the firm-skewed BMW/Audi approach.

You can't begrudge Acura doing whatever it takes to draw more buyers to the brand, but you have to leak a tear or two for the erosion of the brand identity and sporty ethic that gave rise to Acura's iconic NSX sports car. Acura will argue that it maintains the balance of feel and features that made it an alternative to some German offerings.

But others might as easily say they can tell the beginning of the end when they see it.

Nuts and bolts:

•What? Premium, compact, four-door, crossover SUV available with front-wheel drive (FWD) or all-wheel drive (AWD).

•When? On sale since April 2.

•Where? Made at East Liberty, Ohio.

•How much? From $35,205, including $885 shipping for base FWD model to $40,305 for AWD version with technology package.

•What makes it go? 3.5-liter V-6 with variable-cylinder management that lets the engine operate on 3, 4or all 6 cylinders to save fuel in undemanding driving, rated 273 horsepower at 6,200 rpm, 251 pounds-feet of torque at 5,000 rpm, 6-speed automatic transmission.

•How big? Similar overall to BMW X3 but nearly 300 lbs. lighter. RDX is 183.5 inches long, 73.7 in. wide, 66.1 in. tall on a 105.7-in. wheelbase.

Weighs 3,717 to 3,852 lbs.

Passenger space, 103.5 cubic feet. Cargo, 26.1 cu. ft. behind rear seat, 61.3 cu. ft. with rear seat folded, (76.9 cu. ft. including under-floor bins).

Turning circle, 39 feet, curb-to-curb.

Tows up to 1,500 lbs.

•How thirsty? FWD rated 20 miles per gallon in the city, 28 mpg on the highway, 23 mpg in combined driving. AWD: 19/27/22.

Trip computer in AWD test vehicle registered 25.8 mpg (3.88 gallons per 100 miles) in brisk highway trip from New York to Northern Virginia; 20 mpg (5 gal./100 mi.) in suburban driving; 18.4 mpg (5.43 gal./100 mi.) in suburban/city mix.

Burns premium; holds 16 gallons.

•Overall: More mainstream SUV, less Acura.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 AM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We drove nearly all the mid size SUV offerings out there, and had pretty much decided to purchase the BMW X3. When the 2013 RDX's arrived, we test drove one for the sake of "due diligence". A very pleasant surprise...we preferred the RDX to the X3! We placed our order for an AWD Technology Package RDX the same day. We've had it for two months now, and couldn't be more pleased. Can't agree with Consumer Reports conclusions on handling and road noise. I found the handling and road noise of the RDX to be as good as, if not better than anything in its class, including the X3 and the Q5. The RDX is a great value. A comparably equipped X3 was $10K more!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GaryE
We drove nearly all the mid size SUV offerings out there, and had pretty much decided to purchase the BMW X3. When the 2013 RDX's arrived, we test drove one for the sake of "due diligence". A very pleasant surprise...we preferred the RDX to the X3! We placed our order for an AWD Technology Package RDX the same day. We've had it for two months now, and couldn't be more pleased. Can't agree with Consumer Reports conclusions on handling and road noise. I found the handling and road noise of the RDX to be as good as, if not better than anything in its class, including the X3 and the Q5. The RDX is a great value. A comparably equipped X3 was $10K more!
Same thing here! I was about to sign for an X3, and then test drove the Acura, and drove it home that night! I also agree with your take an the handling/road noise, this car at 10K less than the BMW/Audi is actually the benchmark, IMO.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Great to hear the stories of "almost X3" buyers! I want to like BMW's...but, I just know most of their shortcomings, and they are priced too high, and require too much maintenance.

I think the RDX, when fairly compared to the X3...the RDX is a much better buy...and cheaper in the long run...and probably will have a better resale value...% wise....at the 3 yr. point.

Congrats guys on your wise decisions....in my opinion. We like our pearl white/parchment RDX...especially my wife! She has had MOST of the "seat time" behind the wheel. I like it too...I think...just can't remember the last time I drove it! LOL!!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although CR may not have given the review some would like, I think overall points they make are pretty on target. There is more wind noise than my RDX, and the overall ride and handling is goodb ut not class leading. And despite its price/value, the RDX lacks a few things ,like no rear vents, no bar door handle on driver's door like on the passenger door, lack of blind spot detection (the mirror thing is lame), and having high intensity headlights , even if it meant a slightly higher base price would make sense.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Doug W.
Although CR may not have given the review some would like, I think overall points they make are pretty on target. There is more wind noise than my RDX, and the overall ride and handling is goodb ut not class leading. And despite its price/value, the RDX lacks a few things ,like no rear vents, no bar door handle on driver's door like on the passenger door, lack of blind spot detection (the mirror thing is lame), and having high intensity headlights , even if it meant a slightly higher base price would make sense.
Well when you buy a new car like this for as much as it cost, it is tough to be unbiased. Unfortunately, a lot of majour issuse with this vehicle appeared after my test drive and purchase, other-wise I would have passed it up.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MGP999
Well when you buy a new car like this for as much as it cost, it is tough to be unbiased. Unfortunately, a lot of majour issuse with this vehicle appeared after my test drive and purchase, other-wise I would have passed it up.
MGP999, I have no idea what you meant in either sentence. Can you explain?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TampaJack
The first sentence was in response to the previous poster describing how some people didn't like the C.R. review and why that might be, the second was in reference to my own experience with the vehicle as far there being some things I really don't like and that I wished I had known about before my purchase.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TampaJack
The first sentence was in response to the previous poster describing how some people didn't like the C.R. review and why that might be, the second was in reference to my own experience with the vehicle as far there being some things I really don't like and that I wished I had known about before my purchase. Plainly put, I found that the C.R. review was spot on and that this vehicle is a great all-around CUV.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:54 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steve of Rosenthal Auto review...

Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Madison Mag

The Acura engineers outdid themselves. They took a fine 2012 Acura crossover SUV-RDX, tweaked and tuned it, put it in a sleek classic package and delivered a vehicle that hits all the sweet spots on the what a perfect SUV should be chart. Quick, sporty, safe, comfortable, powerful, all-wheel-drive (optional), economical, spacious, easy to handle, luxurious, high-tech, well-appointed, responsive, fun to drive.

And they nailed it.

Our test-drive weekend had us headed for Milwaukee. We know some of those streets “need some attention.” However, our 1st torture test happened almost immediately, the result of human error. Ours. After a briefing at Zimbrick Middleton, we decided to cruise through the neighborhoods into Madison. The voice-activated Acura Link Navigation system guided us flawlessly, turn-by-turn. Concert-quality Mozart played on the 410-watt ELS Premium Sound System. Ooops! We had forgotten Madison’s Highway of Perpetual Construction, University Avenue. Thanks to Acura engineers, we had the new suspension system which saved this elegant coach from being shaken into pieces. The Amplitude Reactive Damper system smoothed out most spine-bending bumps into hardly noticeable jiggles. We smiled. Bring on Milwaukee!

We started the weekend with a visit to the vibrant Brady Street area. On a friend’s tip we stopped at Zaffiro’s and ordered the award winning, extra-crispy cracker-thin-crust pizza (excellent!) along with their plentiful Zaffiro’s salad. This family operation, more than 50 years old, serves until midnight so if you arrive late, no worries

Next we instructed the RDX navigation system to take us to our headquarters, The Ambassador Hotel. We pulled into the entry and were greeted warmly by 2 gracious, knowledgeable doormen. The Ambassador consistently earns glowing reviews as 1 of those elegant urban-retro hotels you have to experience. We were delighted to give it a try.

This 1927 Art Deco jewel was rediscovered by a Marquette University alum under layers of commercial carpeting and dropped- down ceilings. Lovingly shined up, today’s Ambassador preserves the best of Art Deco elegance with marble floors, signature plaster-work and gleaming nickel sconces. Spacious rooms offer all the modern comforts, feather pillows, flat-screen televisions, free Wi-Fi and turn-down service. Envoy, the in-house restaurant, serves all 3 meals and proves that sometimes you should eat at the hotel! Caffé Deco serves Starbucks and The Envoy Lounge is a classy place to meet friends and enjoy expertly crafted cocktails. The Wisconsin Avenue location is convenient to Marquette University and the Ambassador often offers specials to alumni. Downtown Milwaukee is a short drive east.

Getting around town is easy using voice- activated navigation. On the freeway, the RDX cruises like a luxury sedan and, surprisingly, economically. Acura engineers replaced the 240-horsepower 4-cylinder turbo with a 3.5- liter V-6 packing 273 horsepower and Variable Cylinder Management. It gives you all the power you need, as you need it. It automatically shuts down 2 or 3 cylinders to achieve 19 mpg city and 27 highway with AWD, the best V-6 fuel economy in its class.

Milwaukee is brimming over with neat museums and tours. This trip was meant for catching up on some we’ve missed. Of course, a brewery tour is a must. We’d heard Lakefront Brewery is always fun so who were we to argue?

A repurposed coal-burning power plant on the Milwaukee River is award-winning Lakefront’s home. We’re not sure who has more fun on the Lakefront Brewery tours, participants or guides. Brian, our beer-loving leader, claimed title to “worst tour guide”. However we learned a lot about beer making and Lakefront’s history. They make the 1st certified organic beer, offer New Grist, gluten-free beer, and just released Wisconsinite, a tasty, light summer brew using all Wisconsin-sourced ingredients. You will see the original Bernie Brewer Chalet and big mug-o-beer rescued from old County Stadium. For $7 you get 4 beer tokens (for before, during and after the tour!) and a souvenir glass. Consider a Friday afternoon tour and stay for the fish fry and polka band.

Driving around Milwaukee, you appreciate that RDX is fitted with plenty of smart creature comforts, well-tuned bells and creative whistles. Seats are premium leather and 5 Wisconsin-sized adults ride comfortably. The 60GB stereo has Pandora Radio capability. Dual voice-activated climate controls, push-button keyless ignition and Active Sound Control ensure a comfortable, quiet ride. Multi-view rear video camera, Vehicle Stability Assist and motion-adaptive electric power steering keep you safe.

A brief visit to Historic 3rd Ward uncovered an amazing leather shop. Carrying on family tradition, David Mitchell crafts custom handmade premium leather briefcases, belts and purses using a 1936 Singer sewing machine. He addresses today’s consumer with briefcases in 4 sizes and full-grained cases for electronic notebooks and iPads. Ask for a tour. Mitchell is delighted to show you the work room and hides upstairs in his former tannery building. He proudly notes that former Governor Tommy Thompson and former Mayor John Norquist own Mitchell briefcases.

Heading back to museums, it was time to see the Calatrava. The iconic Milwaukee Art Museum building earns as much attention as its contents. The wings open daily at 10 a.m., flap at noon and close as the museum closes each day. Inside take a Naughty Bits tour or the You Think You’re Having a Bad Day route. Ask at the front desk for a guide.

Touring builds an appetite. The Travel Channel featured Ward’s House of Prime so we decided to try it. The classy restaurant has an easygoing, Rat Pack, retro nightclub ambiance with classic Deano and Frank tunes setting the mood. Ward’s earned a reputation for prime rib, though it also serves excellent steak, chicken, veal, seafood and vegetarian dishes. In fact, it lured the TV producers with cuts ranging from 8oz. all the way up to 40, 88 and 160 oz. If you can consume 1 of those in 1 sitting you’ll join Ward’s Wall of Fame. We found the (much) smaller cut delicious and enjoyed ahi tuna steak prepared perfectly as well. Ward’s also serves a full bar menu and maintains a superb wine list.

The Ambassador’s Envoy Sunday Brunch at $14.95 for endless individually prepared plates is among Wisconsin’s finest brunch values. We recommend crab cake benedict, huevos rancheros and cinnamon brulee French toast. Sadly, we didn’t have room to try steak and eggs, waffles or the Grand Avenue omelet. Start with a bloody mary from the lounge. It comes loaded with Slim Jim, mozzarella stick, veggies, asparagus and beer chaser.

Fueled by brunch, you’re ready for the new Milwaukee Museum Mile, 5 excellent facilities on a 2-mile stretch on the historic East Side near Milwaukee’s lakefront. Sundays are a great for this tour as all museums are open.

Visit Jewish Museum Milwaukee, telling the story of Milwaukee’s Jewish community and featuring the nation’s first Chagal tapestry. Nearby is Museum of Wisconsin Art at St. John’s On the Lake. Through a partnership with the West Bend museum it brings quarterly exhibits to this retirement community. Across the street a century-old Tudor-style mansion holds the Charles Allis Art Museum featuring art collected by the Milwaukee philanthropist. Villa Terrace Decorative Arts Museum stands on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan and features 19th century ironworks by Milwaukee master, Cyril Colnick. Finally, North Point Lighthouse traces maritime history. It’s been in service since 1855 and has a 74-foot tower visitors climb for spectacular views of Lake Michigan.

As we discovered on the way home, we’d be doing the RDX a disservice if we just kept it in town. This crossover has some strong sport sedan DNA. It loves darting around back roads. Push the pedal down and 273 horses want to run and AWD grips corners like the Hulk. Acura engineers know there’s a little Andretti, Kenseth or Patrick in all of us. They got it right.

- By Gary and Mae Patrice Knowles

Gary and MaePatrice Knowles live in Madison where he is a freelance writer and marketing consultant to clients in travel, food, hospitality and entertainment and she is a public relations and communications consultant.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts

I mostly agree with that review. It definitely puts the power down more effectively than the Accord V6 with that same motor(?), which may be attributable to the 6AT which snaps into gears better than any other auto Honda product.

I also agree regarding handling and road noise. My 09 MDX definitely outhandles the new RDX and the power train can overpower the chassis at the edge. They could have done more to isolate road noise but it's not as bad as my old 07 AV6 EX-L.

All told, the wife and I loved the RDX loaner we used throughout last weekend on our DC trip. We'd never get one as a replacement for our MDX BUT we are considering it as a replacement for our 12 Accord when it's lease is up.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by F23A4
I mostly agree with that review. It definitely puts the power down more effectively than the Accord V6 with that same motor(?), which may be attributable to the 6AT which snaps into gears better than any other auto Honda product.

I also agree regarding handling and road noise. My 09 MDX definitely outhandles the new RDX and the power train can overpower the chassis at the edge. They could have done more to isolate road noise but it's not as bad as my old 07 AV6 EX-L.

All told, the wife and I loved the RDX loaner we used throughout last weekend on our DC trip. We'd never get one as a replacement for our MDX BUT we are considering it as a replacement for our 12 Accord when it's lease is up.
I would just get a '15 Accord when the lease is up...At least it will have Lane Departure Warning, Blind-Spot Monitoring, and Forward Crash Collision Warning, which is not currently available on RDX. I think 1 SUV per household is more than enough. Plus, the Accord is a relentless Car and Driver's 10 best....best car in that price class, and always was.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Safety Car

Post AutoBlog

2013 Acura RDX
The Softening of a Sharp-Edged CUV

If you had asked us back in 2006 if the then-brand-new Acura RDX would be a success, our answer would have been yes. And why not? The Acura brand was still in demand, buyers were increasingly clamoring for luxury crossovers and the economy appeared to be in solid shape. And don't forget that the RDX was seemingly ahead of its time, pairing together a turbocharger and inline 4-cylinder engine before it became de rigueur among engine choices.

If you had asked us that question 6 years ago, we would've been dead wrong, because the RDX proved to be anything but a sure bet. The compact luxury crossover stumbled along with woeful sales over the past half-decade, with 2007 being its best year with a meager 23,356 units sold. As it turns out, American luxury car buyers weren't ready for a boosted CUV with a stiff ride, limited cargo-hauling capabilities and lousy fuel economy.

While the 1st RDX was a box office flop, Acura feels like it has an appropriate sequel for the 2013 model year. Gone is that performance-oriented turbo-4 that was so out of place. Honda's luxury arm has instead gone with the company's tried and true 3.5-liter V6, placed it in a new larger platform, and added a raft of much-needed refinement.

The 2013 RDX went under the knife in search of a softer shape, and what we see is a well-executed styling evolution that includes smoother lines, a more distinct greenhouse profile and more palatable mug shot. Acura designers streamlined the front end of the RDX with a new grille that loses the chunky proportions of the outgoing model. The fog lamp housings have also been transformed, with over-the-top brightwork replaced by understated simplicity. The headlight assemblies have also been re-imagined, now tapering off into the front wheel wells. Out back the D-pillar is a bit more pronounced as it tapers off toward the beltline. The taillights have also been tweaked, losing their demonic hawk eyes in favor of assemblies that better match the headlights.

The RDX definitely looks more grown-up on the outside, and similar progress takes place within the cabin. The previous model featured a more compartmentalized dash, but the 2013 receives a total makeover with flowing lines that taper off into the center instrument panel. The dash continues to feature soft-touch materials, but faux nickel accents have been added to provide more visual appeal. The steering wheel is mostly unchanged, with a great, leathery grip and multitude of buttons. The gauge cluster also has been reworked, swapping out individual housings for each gauge for a centrally enclosed area with an LED display resting in the middle. Another big change is a new housing for the 8.5-inch LCD screen, which now rests higher and settles deeper into its own cove. We really liked this modification since it blocks out sunlight and makes the screen much easier to read.

The RDX also scores points for its very comfortable front seats, which offer useful side bolstering and terrific thigh support. The back seats offer plenty of real estate as well, with 38.3 inches of legroom. That number compares favorably to the BMW X3 (36.8 cubic inches) and blows away the similarly sized Infiniti EX (28.5 cubic inches). The RDX manages a cargo draw when compared to the Audi Q5, with 26.1 cubic feet of space behind the 2nd row seats and 61.3 cubes when they're folded flat. The Q5 wins with 29.1 cubic feet when the 2nd row seat are upright but comes up short with 57.3 cubic feet when they're stowed. It's worth noting that the 2nd row seat of the RDX doesn't fold completely flat, which can be a problem when sliding larger items in through the hatch.

Our positive impression of the RDX's interior was aided by the fact that our model is completely loaded. This Silver Moon tester tipped the fiscal scales at $40,315 including an $895 destination charge. Acura deserves credit for streamlining the ordering process while also providing a slew of standard features right out of the gate. This RDX arrived with all-wheel drive ($1,400 option) and the Technology Package ($3,700), or essentially every option that this Acura offers. The tech adds ELS Surround Sound, navigation with voice commands, solar-sensing climate control, High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and a very clear and easy-to-utilize multi-view rear camera. Each RDX also comes standard with a 10-way power driver's seat, moonroof, leather seating surfaces, Bluetooth, USB and more.

As mentioned earlier, one change for 2013 that will likely break a few enthusiasts' hearts is the loss of the turbocharged 2.4-liter inline 4-cylinder engine in favor of Honda's excellent 3.5-liter V6. (Click here to read more about why Honda killed this engine.) Worry not, we say, because the 273-horsepower V6 offers 33 more horsepower and its 251 pound-feet of torque is within 9 lb-ft of the boosted 4. The big 6 feels very powerful and refined, with excellent off-the-line acceleration and prodigious passing power on the highway. The new 6-speed automatic transmission is glass-smooth with its seamless shifts, and paddle shifters are available on the steering wheel for the DIY crowd. We're not always proponents of combining paddles with traditional automatics, but in this case the shifts are reasonably fast and the paddles fun to use.

Acura has also put a lot of work into the RDX's chassis to smooth out the rough ride that characterized the last-generation model, which makes sense given that U.S. buyers' in this segment typically demand comfort over performance. Since the MacPherson struts and multi-link rear suspension are carryover, the big change is Acura's Amplitude Reactive Dampers. The dampers are 15% softer, yet at the same time offer increased structural rigidity and reduced body-roll. We felt the difference on the street, as bumps and potholes were far less perturbing to our kidneys, and at the same time, this crossover still doesn't mind being tossed around. It helps that the 2013 model is 93 pounds lighter than the last RDX; an impressive number considering the addition of the 3.5-liter V6. It helps that Acura opted for attractive 18-inch wheels mated to 235/60R Michelin rubber, instead of going with heavier and costlier 19s or 20s.

1 source of disappointment is the loss of Acura's dynamic SH-AWD. That system could route 70% of the engine's power to the rear wheels, while the new, simpler on-demand setup can only manage a 50/50 power split. Steering feel has also been dumbed down a bit, as this new electronic unit feels numb and light compared to the old model's hydraulic steering.

Both the steering and the Honda CR-V-sourced AWD system aren't as engaging as we'd like, but those new additions to the RDX help improve fuel efficiency greatly. The 2013 AWD RDX boasts EPA-estimated fuel economy of 19 miles per gallon in the city and 27 mpg on the highway. Despite firing on 2 fewer cylinders, the 2012 model managed only 17/22, giving the new RDX a substantial advantage. And those numbers translate into terrific real-world fuel economy, as we managed an impressive 24.2 mpg in mixed driving.

In the end, the "mainstreaming" of Acura's RDX means the succeeds where it once failed. It is now more refined and more comfortable, while continuing to offer plenty of get up and go. Some will miss the edgier dynamic handling of the last model, but far more will likely appreciate this kinder, gentler RDX. Best of all, the RDX now delivers sedan-like fuel economy with improved aesthetics and a more user-friendly interior, all of which should translate into the only thing that really matters to Acura: more sales.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Hey F23A4....I'm not sure what you mean about the RDX putting "the power down more effectively", than the V6 Accord...but, I have a '12 Accord Cpe, V6 with the 5-speed paddle shifters, and I have the new RDX with it's 6 speed. The Accord gets up and flies off the starting line. Cruises with comfort and the VCM extracts great fuel mileage. When I want to "move out" just use that "go pedal" and it will respond.

The RDX does not respond the same way....and it shouldn't really. Both engines are almost identical...but, they are in different applications. Comparing apples to oranges. When I go from the RDX to the Accord I realize just how "quick the throttle response is and acceleration vs the RDX.

I really like them both....for different reasons....'cause they are different. But, the RDX is a great SUV with plenty of power... when pushed to perform. The Accord just responds much quicker, as it should, in my opinion. And, I'm finding that they both are getting great gas mileage in town with the air cond. on....and on the highway. Very pleased with both. The VCM system is working quite well.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Hey F23A4....I'm not sure what you mean about the RDX putting "the power down more effectively", than the V6 Accord...but, I have a '12 Accord Cpe, V6 with the 5-speed paddle shifters, and I have the new RDX with it's 6 speed. The Accord gets up and flies off the starting line. Cruises with comfort and the VCM extracts great fuel mileage. When I want to "move out" just use that "go pedal" and it will respond.

The RDX does not respond the same way....and it shouldn't really. Both engines are almost identical...but, they are in different applications. Comparing apples to oranges. When I go from the RDX to the Accord I realize just how "quick the throttle response is and acceleration vs the RDX.

I really like them both....for different reasons....'cause they are different. But, the RDX is a great SUV with plenty of power... when pushed to perform. The Accord just responds much quicker, as it should, in my opinion. And, I'm finding that they both are getting great gas mileage in town with the air cond. on....and on the highway. Very pleased with both. The VCM system is working quite well.
Interestingly enough, while having my 2013 RDX at the dealer they gave me a loner 2012 TL, which also starts considerably quicker than the RDX. However, RDX has a smoother more comfortable ride and a better braking. I often wish that the 2013 did incorporate the quickness of this TL into an alternative sportier version of this RDX. Maybe next time.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I would just get a '15 Accord when the lease is up...At least it will have Lane Departure Warning, Blind-Spot Monitoring, and Forward Crash Collision Warning, which is not currently available on RDX. I think 1 SUV per household is more than enough. Plus, the Accord is a relentless Car and Driver's 10 best....best car in that price class, and always was.

Thank you for policing the types of vehicles that should be in MY household. Some of us actually prefer five door AWD vehicles. If both the Crosstour and CRV didnt look like @$$, the I would have pulled the trigger on one of those instead of the Accord. (BTW, I've owned an 80, 99, 07 and now a 12 Accord so I do have a little familiarity with that line....a little!)

My next departure from that will likely be a RWD sports coupe. But I'll get your approval before I make the purchase.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.

I drove an 08 EX-L V6 sedan when the 8G debuted and it had no more hustle than the 07 EX-L V6 sedan I owned at the time. The RDX I had this past weekend would have taken both in a straight line easily. (...and I know a little about running cars, "here and there")

But I'm glad you're pleased with both...continue to enjoy accordingly (pardon the pun)
Old 07-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
So bizarre the 2013 Honda Accord is supposed to have all that at least as options and some of Acura's 2013 vehicles don't.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
So bizarre the 2013 Honda Accord is supposed to have all that at least as options and some of Acura's 2013 vehicles don't.
I was always defending the RDX, but never really thought about a sub-$30,000 Accord having all of these features. Acura will probably make these options available in the RDX in the next 2-3 model years, for sure, especially if Honda is putting them in their vehicles. One thing to note though is with Acura vehicles, they are active safety features, while with Honda, they are passive, specifically the Forward Crash system. Once the new MDX, RLX, TL(X) come out with their new features, these features are bound to be in the RDX soon thereafter.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:14 AM
Advanced

Thank you for policing the types of vehicles that should be in MY household. Some of us actually prefer five door AWD vehicles. If both the Crosstour and CRV didnt look like @$$, the I would have pulled the trigger on one of those instead of the Accord. (BTW, I've owned an 80, 99, 07 and now a 12 Accord so I do have a little familiarity with that line....a little!)

My next departure from that will likely be a RWD sports coupe. But I'll get your approval before I make the purchase.
You can (obviously) purchase whatever you want. I was only saying that BECAUSE you have a strong buying history with Honda and was just pointing out the new Accord's features...

It is interesting, however, that a message board moderator likes to instigate arguments with its members.

Have a great day!!!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Senior Moderator

You can (obviously) purchase whatever you want. I was only saying that BECAUSE you have a strong buying history with Honda and was just pointing out the new Accord's features...

It is interesting, however, that a message board moderator likes to instigate arguments with its members.

Have a great day!!!

please don't mistake my loose sarcasm as instigation.

Have a blessed day!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

I drove an 08 EX-L V6 sedan when the 8G debuted and it had no more hustle than the 07 EX-L V6 sedan I owned at the time. The RDX I had this past weekend would have taken both in a straight line easily. (...and I know a little about running cars, "here and there")

But I'm glad you're pleased with both...continue to enjoy accordingly (pardon the pun)

Well, I've owned a few and raced a few. 60 cars owned so far. Had 9 Mustang GT's, Cobra Mustangs, and a Saleen Mustang. Owned other Hondas, a Corvette, Turbo Supra, etc, etc.

Since I own a '12 Accord Cpe V6....I can tell you that I'd be glad to stop light run my Cpe against the RDX. Not even close. The Cpe will run away from it. Hands down. You need to drive one and you'd see. I know the RDX is quick enough for sure....just won't beat the paddle shifted V6 '12 Accord Cpe. I'll bet my title on that. Just sayin'.....The '08 and 07 sedans are not what the '12 model V6 coupe is. AND, if it were a stick, then it really flies. That can be found in car tests done by some auto mags.

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 07-21-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Wink

please don't mistake my loose sarcasm as instigation.

Have a blessed day!
So, I guess that's what GRDX is doing...it's all good no matter how it's said....or it's intent?

Loose sarcasm is easily misunderstood when people are only able to read words. Not nearly the same as in person, or on the phone. Intent is not that discernable when reading words. So, it we don't really KNOW who you are and what you are about, then it's not easy to "get a correct feeling about someones words."

And then again, some people like to get their digs in with "loose sarcasm"....and then shine it off. Hopefully, as you say, that's not your intent.

We're here because we choose to be, and hopefully make some friends, share some stories, learn some things....it's certainly not going to make or break us for being good people and not feeling comfortable being here. I feel like the site needs me more than I need it. Just sayin'......many on here have lots of experience at different things.....some have very little "car knowledge".....so, can't we all just get along?? Some of you will recognize that from a certain famous California guy who was beaten by the cops that started a race riot!! LOL!!!

Have a great day Mr. Moderator.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:15 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Have a great day!!!
I can see why you feel the way you do. Any intelligent person can make the same "reading"...without truly knowing a person.

So, I agree with you. If that helps, then good.
This isn't rocket science here. But, everyone should know, that written words can be EASILY misunderstood....OR...understood based on how it's perceived. Our perception is our reality. So, loose sarcasm maybe should be left out of what we write here. That goes for anyone.

If I hear what someone is saying, along with looking him/her in the eyes then I get a better idea of the meaning and intent. We are all at a disadvantage with these posts. That's why many of the similar sites have people fighting all the time....think they are better than everyone else....then it becomes much more than what it was intended for.

People are funny beings. We're all fallable.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:34 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

So, is that your way of playing "nice." Doesn't read like it.

I've owned more Hondas than you....so your "bragging" about Hondas owned means nothing if you don't know how to properly use that information instead of hitting people over the head with it.

I've owned 9 Hondas. So, do you think...Mr. Moderator I may have "a little familarity with them??" I think I know them quite well. I've owned 9 Mustangs...I know them pretty darn well too. If I can share that experience I will do so gladly. No gloating here. Just experience.

Maybe you should do the same. Moderator or not....play by the rules that you expect us to play by. Choose words...wording..... carefully. It does make a difference.

Have a blessed day!!!
The following users liked this post:
madrye28 (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Senior Moderator

OK, just relax. Don't let my general lack of cordiality derail the thread.

I just didn't find the 08 AV6 5AT that I drove to be particularly quick given its power rating, which I found to be disappointing. The 2G RDX on the other hand seemed much less lethargic that said AV6. But you have to keep in mind, this is a subjective SOTP feel not back to back times at a track.

If you're experience is to the contrary, that's fine. I may be comparing particularly green AV6 versus a not-so-green RDX, which could possibly explain my experience.

Reverting back to the topic at hand, the review from CR seems to be in line with my experience in the RDX. Have a great day guys!!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who's this guy.. looks like young Val Kilmer with pants pulled high. While I agree he is nitpicking a bit, I think everything he said was quite true. Although I could care less about fabric on the pillar, it just picks up dirty prints that you can never clean off. And I see Acura as a premium brand more than a luxary brand..
Old 07-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Talking

OK, just relax. Don't let my general lack of cordiality derail the thread.

I just didn't find the 08 AV6 5AT that I drove to be particularly quick given its power rating, which I found to be disappointing. The 2G RDX on the other hand seemed much less lethargic that said AV6. But you have to keep in mind, this is a subjective SOTP feel not back to back times at a track.

If you're experience is to the contrary, that's fine. I may be comparing particularly green AV6 versus a not-so-green RDX, which could possibly explain my experience.

Reverting back to the topic at hand, the review from CR seems to be in line with my experience in the RDX. Have a great day guys!!
OK...I'll admit I was expecting an apology for your pretty "rough cordiallity" you displayed more than once.....but, we hope that you got my point, and some others here....and I think you did....and just be a good moderator...and be cordial, helpful, understanding, and just all the good things we expect from all of us.

So...who moderates the moderators?? If it's us...and it can be....then we should be able to dock you points as you do us!! LOL!! Only fair. By the way....did you nail me for huge point deductions because I "challenged you being too rough on folks" here?? I haven't checked yet.

I think you'll find I'm a good guy, trying to be of help...honest as I can be, and it seems some here appreciate my being here. weather...has been a member for over 6 yrs. I know he thanked me for joining and being a positive influence on what we all should be trying to do. But, I won't back down from someone being "off base"....I will speak my mind, I'll be fair, honest and say it the way most are afraid to do. No one in this world scares me or intimidates me. That's not bravado...just the way I am. I just believe there are ways things should be done...rightly, fairly....and if they are not...well, I will call the person out and expect honesty meeting honesty.

If I don't know something, I admit it....if I know what works based on experience and my educational and training background I will share it. No bragging....I just spit out facts from my doing whatever. When I say I've owned 60 cars...it's just true....no bragging at all. I've owned, like I told you, 9 Hondas....it just demonstrates that I just MAY have some useful experience. Not alway right...just try my best. Collectively we all are a darn smart bunch!! We just need to share with one another. No "one upsmanship"....just all helping to make this a high quality site.

Oh, and thanks for your "thanks" on one of my posts. I do appreciate that. I noticed! LOL!!

And, if you docked me a million points....take it back!!!!! LOL!

Life is short...a cliche'....but, so darn true. None of us knows if we'll be here tomorrow. Just look at what happened in Aurora, CO. My home state. 4 active duty GI's were shot and killed Thurs. night...as well as a 6 yr. old girl.
How sickening. Colorado is a gun friendly state and many here have carry permits. But, guess what.....the theatre does not allow weapons brought in to the theatre!! Of course, did that stop the bad guy from bringing a damn arsenal?? 'Course not.

If they allowed it, someone in there would have been armed and been considered a "first responder"...since it does take the police awhile to get there. By then many died. If I would have been there, I would have challenged him, and tried hard to put him down. My son is a cop...Medal of Valor winner...and Police Officer of the Year....he knows violence and what it causes. Tough world. I'm a past California licensed, trained, and police academy trained officer...aiding all law enforcement branches, jails, prisons, institutions with the transporting of the baddest of the bad. Fun fill in job when times were tough.

I apologize for carrying on beyond the subject. Damn, there goes those negative points again!!

Take care! And I mean that!! Best wishes to you and your family.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh, I never flag anyone's post unless its terribly egregious. You are entitled to post how you feel provided there's no name calling (or worse). I may not see eye to eye with you but I'm not looking to leverage my "status" (or otherwise) in such cirmstances. But if you ever feel that you're being mistreated on the board then you can always reach out to another moderator accordingly.

Have a terrific and safe week!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Oh, I never flag anyone's post unless its terribly egregious. You are entitled to post how you feel provided there's no name calling (or worse). I may not see eye to eye with you but I'm not looking to leverage my "status" (or otherwise) in such cirmstances. But if you ever feel that you're being mistreated on the board then you can always reach out to another moderator accordingly.

Have a terrific and safe week!
OK....I got you. But it really would have been proper and the right thing to do...and that is apologize to....madrye28....and actually to all those that participate here. That's the least you could have done...especially being a moderator. Have some class and do that, then you might regain some respect.

Your words ring kinda hollow. So, we're supposed to complain to another moderator if you "get off the tracks?" Again, show some class...just like these Acura vehicles do.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:21 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
TheFastLaneCar.com (follow-up?) review: http://www.tflcar.com/2012/08/acuras...-squishy-love/

Acura’s 2013 RDX Drives like Squishy Love
Posted by Nathan Adlen - August 19, 2012 - Acura, Honda, Opinion and Editorial, SUV/Crossover

It drives as mature as it looks.

Rolling around in the 2013 Acura RDX made my family’s tushies happy as it weaved its love over nasty surfaces. Seriously, this is one of the best riding vehicles in its class. It’s creamy even squishy over road surfaces that made the old RDX shutter like a tambourine.

If you drive a Honda CR-V, you’re most likely not a performance seeker. Still, it’s nice to know that you’re in a well-built, top rated SUV/Crossover – right? There will come a time when you will long for more oomph, more luxury and better driving dynamics. The Acura RDX delivers all of that while feeling like a grownup CR-V.

Here are five things you need to know about the 2013 Acura RDX

It’s beefier than the old RDX: The old RDX had a turbocharged four-cylinder that made 240 horsepower. The new 273 hp 3.5-liter V6 is normally aspirated, and makes 251 lbs-feet of torque. It now weighs about 3,700 lbs – but it’s faster and it gets better gas mileage. There is a easy shifting six-speed automatic transmission that has paddle shifters… which are kind of silly, but maybe someone will use them.

It’s more mature: The old RDX was pretty sharp around corners as it had a version of Acura’s lauded Super-handling All-wheel Drive (SHAWD) and, boy, was the ride crap. That was because of the intention to make the old RDX a sports-biased crossover. Not anymore. The 2013 Acura RDX has dispensed of the SHAWD, tight suspension and grumbling four-banger. A mechanical center differential replaces the SHAWD. It’s pudding-like smooth and very quiet. It can still corner, but only if you must. It would rather not push on corners too hard. If you push it, you will under-steer and plow. The steering is fairly responsive, but there is no steering feel.

It’s thriftier: despite being an altogether bigger and more powerful machine, the gas mileage has improved. With the old RDX, I averaged 19 mpg. Acura says the 2013 RDX will get 20 mpg city and 28 mpg highway. Despite my juvenile driving, I averaged about 22 mpg. That’s pretty damn good. The starting price of about $34,000 is impressive too. My tester’s price of about $40,000 was competitive for this bracket.

It’s one of the most confounding vehicles when it comes to gizmos: When I brought the rugrats to school, I parked the 2013 Acura RDX, shut off the ignition and walked out of the vehicle to open their doors. Guess what? They were still locked. I had to unlock the Acura to let the kiddos out. The hatch won’t open if the vehicle is running. Despite having less buttons, there is still a myriad. The navigation is unfriendly and the stereo controls require a long time to familiarize with. All these wiz bangs and no cooled seats or vent for the rear passenger? It’s kind of a bummer.

It’s ridiculously comfortable and accommodating: I cannot emphasize how impressed I was with the comfort level of the 2013 Acura RDX enough. The seats are worlds better than the last model and the legroom is very good all around. Hip room in the back might be tight for three adults, but three kids have plenty of space. The cargo area has a very useable 26.1 cubic feet of capacity that extends to 76.9 cu-ft with the rear seats down. That’s quite good for the class.
Yes, the 2013 Acura RDX impressed me and my little family with ride sophistication that spoiled our derrières. It does everything well with the exception of its electronics. Still, if you want the definition of smooth riding in a small, luxury crossover – it’s hard to beat the 2013 Acura RDX.

On the TFLCar scale of:

Buy it!

Lease it!

Rent it!

… or Forget it!

I say lease it!

“It looks better from behind.” God, if I had a dollar for every time someone said that to me…

Check out our early review video of the 2013 Acura RDX

Last edited by C0rrion; 08-20-2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Wsj

Far be it from me to fall in love with my own clippings, but I did go back to read my review of the 1st-gen Acura RDX from 2006. I said it could be more perfect—it could “fairly reapportion congressional districts every time you turn the key or make sure Steven Seagal never-never-never makes another blues record.” My God, that’s overwritten.

The point: I thought highly of the original Acura RDX entry-luxury crossover. I’ll take mine in black with big color-matched wheels, tech’ed out with an ELS sound system and Acura’s torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive running gear, which it calls, in all seriousness, “super-handling all-wheel drive.” In the scroll up yonder it is recorded that I have convinced no fewer than 3 people to buy an Acura RDX. I’m a fan, OK?

For model year 2013, Acura just wrecked this thing.

I’m in 2 states of mind: annoyance and resignation. It rather ticks me off that Acura felt it necessary to mediocritize my RDX—no longer the defining SH-AWD, no longer the feverish 2.3-liter turbo 4 but a plug-and-play corporate 3.6-liter V6, and significantly less joy at the wheel, by way of downward nominalization—but I understand why this vehicle is what it is. In the business, they call it product planning.

Here’s what I know about product planning: It’s ruthless. You may build a hot little compact-crossover that drives the wheels off just about anything in its class (BMW X3, Mercedes GLK). It might be the darling of hard-nosed car critics, an artistic success, big in college towns. It might be, head-to-head with class competitors, the best vehicle in your portfolio. None of that matters when the accountants tell you it costs too much to build and it isn’t selling. That, in corporate terms, is nonnegotiable.

The turbo’ed RDX I loved blew a hole in Acura’s Corporate Average Fuel Economy numbers—17/22 miles per gallon on 91-octane gas (oof!)—and the SH-AWD feature was expensive and underused by consumers. These and a thousand other deeply considered matters of design, manufacturing (in Ohio, by the way) and marketing eventually crystallized in the CAD files to produce this vehicle.

The arc of the automotive universe is long, but it bends toward lameness.

To be fair, Acura’s product planners aren’t wrong, exactly. The RDX’s edgy, sport-compact vibe was a bit of a segment outlier. Nobody was really exploiting the “super.” The new RDX is slightly larger yet significantly lighter (around 200 pounds), despite the larger V6 engine under the hood. That engine, a port-injected VTEC, puts out 273 horsepower, 33 more than the turbo 4, albeit with slightly less torque. This powerplant swap translates precisely as you’d expect: The new RDX comes off the line in no mighty hurry (zero to 60 mph in about 8 seconds), but the car does feel more relaxed, less strained, at interstate pace.

The automatic transmission gets an extra tall cog for 2013, making it a 6-speed. That, and the simpler AWD system with fewer mechanical losses, helps send mileage soaring. The 2013 RDX gets 19/27 mpg, city/highway.

The less-dexterous AWD system is on-demand, operating in front-wheel drive mode until significant wheel-slip occurs and then shunting a maximum of 50% of engine torque rearward in search of traction. The old system could split torque up to 30/70, front/rear, depending on grip and driving inputs, and it had the pioneering, torque-vectoring SH-AWD. Again, it’s unlikely that many consumers will miss the sport-oriented AWD system—most will be content just to avoid slipping and sliding on icy patches.

What we have, then, is a righteously recalibrated RDX, a vehicle more in line with consumer requirements, 1 that is lighter, more fuel-efficient and still pretty wonderful on the equipment list. The RDX AWD with Tech package ($40,315) I drove comes with a long list of e-comforts, including a new 15-gigabyte hard disk serving the navigation system (real-time traffic/weather and Zagat ratings functions), a 410-watt ELS sound system and lots of cabin amenities. Meanwhile, as with all Honda/Acura products, you feel the results of.

So, hardly wrecked. It’s even unfair to say the RDX is de-contented. It’s just differently contented. Or you could say that it seems to be haunted by ghosts of specialness past. It’s also about $1,500 more expensive than it was previously. The bosses love that.

And yet, as with Volkswagen’s recent realignment of the Passat, the new RDX seems to be finding more of an audience. July sales were up 142% year-over-year. I guess that’s why I don’t work in product planning.

It is curious that just as the rest of the market is turning to small-displacement, high-tech turbo fours to address CAFE issues, the RDX is going in the other direction with a naturally aspirated V6, one without direct-injection plumbing. I would also observe that the RDX’s segment is becoming crowded with some very fun-to-drive cars, from Subaru to BMW. Is less sporting really a good thing, longitudinally?

Taken on its own, the RDX is pretty agreeable company. The exterior styling has been updated to incorporate Acura’s more recent facial features, with sloe-eyed high-intensity-discharge headlamps flanking the alloy-banded grille. The RDX’s proportions and silhouette betray its genetic links to the Honda CR-V—built alongside the RDX in Ohio—but the RDX is in no way unhandsome. The surface detailing includes four strict and crisp light lines defining the sides of the vehicle. All the visual arithmetic—dash-to-wheel ratio, overhangs-to-wheelbase, windshield and backlight angles—adds up. The RDX blandly appeals.

The interior is also chapter-and-verse for Acura, with supple, well-structured, leather-covered seats, and dash and trim materials comprising dense urethanes interleaved with bands of alloy trim. The rear seat backs now fold down flat without trouble, with a single easy-to-reach latch on either side of the car; and the rear legroom has been enlarged, as has the door opening. Getting in and out of the rear cabin is now much easier. The RDX may be commodity car building, but of a very high order.

It might not be the car I once loved, but then, as my wife frequently observes, it’s not all about me. The less and more of the new RDX adds up to more of what a lot of people want. I’m just not 1 of them.

2013 Acura RDX with AWD and Tech Package

Price as tested: $40,315

Powertrain: Naturally aspirated 3.5-liter SOHC, 24-valve V6 with variable valve timing; 6-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift mode; front-wheel drive with on-demand all-wheel drive

Horsepower/torque: 273 hp at 6,200 rpm/251 pound-feet at 5,000 rpm

Length/weight: 183.5 inches/3,852 pounds

Wheelbase: 105.7 inches

EPA fuel economy: 19/27 mpg, city/highway

Cargo capacity: 26.1 cubic feet (rear seats up)
Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Drifting

The 0-60 times I hear for this vehicle are all over the place. I've seen everything from mid 6's to now 8? Weird.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I would assume it has been tested with varying specifications (front vs all-wheel drive) and conditions (elevation, temperature, etc).
Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gbriank
I would assume it has been tested with varying specifications (front vs all-wheel drive) and conditions (elevation, temperature, etc).
The times were all AWD times, but maybe it's the temp/elevation differences, like you said, but almost 2 seconds of difference seems extreme.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
The 0-60 times I hear for this vehicle are all over the place. I've seen everything from mid 6's to now 8? Weird.
8 has got to be an error. Most reviews are posting mid 6's. This WSJ review stinks.

Quick Reply: 2nd Generation RDX Reviews