2018 rdx smells

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 10:49 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 rdx smells

I have a 2018 RDX which I purchased from the dealership. The car is intermittently emitting a foul odour into the car through the vents. I had always noticed this smell when returning back into the vehicle after leaving it idled as someone stayed in the car with my baby as she slept. The people in the car (husband and mom) on occasions did not even notice the smell while sitting in the car. It was me entering the vehicle from fresh air that the smell is obvious and nauseating so much so that I have to open the windows and turn the vents off. My husband took the car into dealership, they stated car is in perfect condition. Again I have 3 more episodes of this smell. I call the service department and bring the car in. They tell me they examined everything in the car and there is nothing wrong and they replicate the odour. I insist to them there is a problem. I get home and idle the car in my driveway after the service appointment and the car again has a fuel odour in my car. Confirmed by husband. So I took the car back to the dealership and speak with them. They took my car for 2 days and stated they couldnt replicate the smell so they bring my car back to me. We idled the car in my driveway and the car begins to emit an odour. It has been an entire month with no action from the dealership. Any idea what this smell could be and how I can deal with this issue? I am really worried for my familiy's safety while in the car. Even today the car began to smell while driving.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:39 AM
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would assume that you have the air conditioning running. What is causing the odor is bacteria growth on the air conditioning evaporator behind the glove box. Check to see if there is water dripping from under the car, if it is very humid, there should be more water. Try not to use the circulate button and let it pull fresh air from outside. If you still have issues, bring car to dealer and have them disinfect the evaporator.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:59 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Try this. Run your car on full AC blast (outside air) and go outside the car. Feel for the air movement (suction) at the bottom of windshield near the wipers and spray some Chlorox / Lysol there and wait a few minutes. You’ll smell it immediately inside the car. After a few minutes turn off the AC and continue running the fan on full blast for a few more minutes. Leave the car overnight with windows down (inside a garage) to dissipate the smell. It should take care of the problem for a while. I did it for all my cars and the problem has resolved.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:07 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dave08902
Welcome to the forum.

I would assume that you have the air conditioning running. What is causing the odor is bacteria growth on the air conditioning evaporator behind the glove box. Check to see if there is water dripping from under the car, if it is very humid, there should be more water. Try not to use the circulate button and let it pull fresh air from outside. If you still have issues, bring car to dealer and have them disinfect the evaporator.
Thank you for the reply. I have had the heating on as it's been cold where I live (except for yeaterday). Also the first time this smell happened (when i think back i believe it was the car) it had been warm and AC on). I dont use the recirculation button in the car. The smell comes and goes and to me it smells like gas. My mom agrees. If this was bacterial growth would the smell not be constant? The smell in my car comes and goes. I have noticed I get water dripping at the back of the car both the right and left bumper area. No other visible signs of other fluids leaking.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:12 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Comfy
Try this. Run your car on full AC blast (outside air) and go outside the car. Feel for the air movement (suction) at the bottom of windshield near the wipers and spray some Chlorox / Lysol there and wait a few minutes. You’ll smell it immediately inside the car. After a few minutes turn off the AC and continue running the fan on full blast for a few more minutes. Leave the car overnight with windows down (inside a garage) to dissipate the smell. It should take care of the problem for a while. I did it for all my cars and the problem has resolved.
What kind of Acura vehicles have you done this on? What do you think this is from? The smell my car gets is a gas smell. What smell were u getting?
Old 06-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Instructor

The smell from a bacteria infested evaporator should smell like a bad musty locker odor. If you smell gas then you either have a leak in your gas tank or lines. The water that is dripping at the left and right gear bumpers is the water vapor from the exhaust. The water from the air conditioning should be dripping behind the right front tire or passenger side. If you are idling with your windows up and the air conditioning on, you could be picking up exhaust fumes.

If you smell raw gas then you need to take it to the dealer and left them look for a gasoline leak. Tell them it is unsafe for you and your little baby,
Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 AM
5th Gear

The smell from a bacteria infested evaporator should smell like a bad musty locker odor. If you smell gas then you either have a leak in your gas tank or lines. The water that is dripping at the left and right gear bumpers is the water vapor from the exhaust. The water from the air conditioning should be dripping behind the right front tire or passenger side. If you are idling with your windows up and the air conditioning on, you could be picking up exhaust fumes.

If you smell raw gas then you need to take it to the dealer and left them look for a gasoline leak. Tell them it is unsafe for you and your little baby,
Hi Dave,

I appreciate your response back. I have had the car smell while idling with windows up and the heating on. Could this still be exhaust fumes? Should the flaps at the rear bumper prevent from exhaust fumes from entering the car? Could these be faulty? I have also had the car smell while driving as well.

I have been dealing with the dealer. I have waited an entire month for them to speak with techline to find out if there has been any precedence like this. They notified me yesterday they have not and are saying they will take my car in for a few days to see if they can replicate the odour. I have already duplicated the smell on 2 occasions for them. Once a salesperson of theirs smelt it and the second time their sales manager. Will see how it goes. I asked them to guarantee me that the smell is not dangerous to me and my family. So they are investigating.

I dont have any other fluids that are leaking from the car that I can see. My only thought is maybe I have a small leak somewhere and when it happens it gets burned off and fumes enter through the vent system. I just dont know. I did have 2 small drops on a cardboard box on the right front passenger side but it was after an oil change and thought it must have been from that.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Hi,
You should never never idle a car with the windows up for extended periods. There is a chance that the winds catch exhaust fumes and carry it to the air intake which is below the wiper blades. Another thing is be very cautious in idling a car around snow banks and piles of leaves.

The flaps on the rear bumper are either for aerodynamic or cosmetic reasons only.

The smell when you are driving could be from exhaust fumes from vehicles in front of you.

When your air conditioning is on, and there is enough humidity. You should see water dripping behind the passenger front wheel. If you don't then your drain hose is clogged or kinked. When this happens there will be an excess build up of water in the evaporator which will lead to mold growth. Feel the carpet under the front passenger foot well by the glove box.to see if it is wet.

Once you bring up a safety or health issue that involves a infant, they will be more inclined to help you resolve the issue. They don't like to be sued or held liable for any problems.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Hi,
You should never never idle a car with the windows up for extended periods. .
This this to cops in Winter time... This is all they do on breaks or sitting in speedtrap.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Instructor

I agree, Police cars have carbon monoxide detector installed for their protection. I have seen this on some Police cars where I work.

Last edited by dave08902; 06-08-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:03 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Allie_bb
What kind of Acura vehicles have you done this on? What do you think this is from? The smell my car gets is a gas smell. What smell were u getting?
The smell I’m talking about is the musty odor you get from mold/bacteria growth (which happens when I turn on the AC first time in a few days. I have done the procedure I mentioned on my Acura RDX as well as other make cars and it takes care of the problem temporarily. This problem reoccurs when you don’t use the air conditioning for extended periods such as during winter time. Now if you’re smelling “gas” in your car that is a totally different issue and you should not be sitting on it. Hopefully your dealership will be able to solve it. If you don’t get it resolved, then please call Acura corporate and / or try another dealership.