2017 RDX Elite vs 2020 MDX Tech

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 01:40 PM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 RDX Elite vs 2020 MDX Tech

Hi everyone!

I realize this is a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison, but I had the fun experience of driving a 2020 MDX Tech for the past two days as a loaner vehicle. I thought I'd summarize my experience in a post and share my observations
INITIAL OBSERVATIONS
  • Being no stranger to a 3-Row SUV by switching from a CX9 to the RDX, I was still pleasantly surprised to find that the MDX affords all the larger sized conveniences in what felt like a smaller footprint than the CX9. It almost made me miss the things I'm losing out on by downsizing to the RDX. In the 4 years I had the CX9, I used the 3rd row seating a grand total of one time.
  • If I had the 5000lb towing capacity, I could seriously consider getting rid of my long-time "project" truck. (2005 Chev Colorado Extended Cab)
  • SO MUCH CARGO SPACE! (All seats folded down)
  • Name:  CIhjwCY.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  86.2 KB
  • Third row folded down
  • Name:  CCYhnW5.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  90.1 KB
  • All rows up. Definitely feels like more space than the CX9, but I don't know how as the vehicle itself does feel smaller.
  • Name:  CevQwbQ.jpg
Size:  89.6 KB
  • On the RDX, I do really miss the concealed cargo area under the floor. I begrudgingly stowed as much roadside emergency gear as I could fit around the spare tire of the RDX. The additional storage area for seldom used items in the MDX would be a very welcome bonus.
  • Name:  CG59X1u.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  91.1 KB
  • Pretty sure that average sized adults would be comfortable in the third row...
  • Name:  Hrjr5QD.jpg
Size:  43.4 KB
LIGHTING
  • Automotive lighting, and perhaps any lighting in general, is a hobby of mine so it's one of the first things I look at.
  • I was happy to find that the 2020 MDX now has full LED exterior lighting. Wasn't a big deal to change them out on the RDX though, which you can read more about here.
  • Name:  VAuY5ca.jpg
Size:  15.3 KB
  • Name:  3bnlOhc.jpg
Size:  15.1 KB
  • Name:  NKDXPWR.jpg
Size:  25.7 KB
  • Of course there's always something to upgrade. The foot-wells and puddle lights that are down-firing from the bottom of door could be switched to LED for a much brighter and more modern look. The mix-match between the halogens and other interior LEDs is something I couldn't live with. Not pictured, but the lights in the rear cargo door could also use an upgrade.
  • Name:  8fqmlf3.jpg
Size:  37.2 KB

INFOTAINMENT
  • This is single-handedly the feature of the MDX that I'm going to miss the most. When I purchased the 2017 RDX I was well aware that the infotainment system was out of date going back to 2011. I didn't realize how much I'd like the substantial upgrade.
  • The infotainment in the RDX is laggy... taking maybe 5 seconds to switch the song on my phone over Bluetooth gets old very quickly. The MDX connects to my S9+ over the USB interface and it's incredibly responsive to input. Loved it. Controlling Google Maps using the car's controls really did work extremely well.
  • Android Auto and Apple Carplay are the main reasons I'll be missing the system. I'd never had the chance to play around with using a vehicle's interface to control Android Auto and I must admit it's something that's really worth going for if you have the choice.
  • Name:  EWRiY7A.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  45.5 KB
  • I'll also add here that I love love loved the center console. Such an upgrade over what I've got in the RDX. I'll definitely miss the 2 large compartments and sliding/folding tray.
  • Name:  hjDSlMV.jpg
Size:  71.4 KB
  • The center console controls for the rear passengers has a bit more functionality than what I've found in the RDX. You won't find USB power or climate controls in the back seat of the 2017 RDX.
    • Brings back bad memories of the rear air conditioner in the CX9. While great in theory, it was riddled with problems that I hope aren't an issue with Acuras.
  • Name:  GMxZ7lT.jpg
Size:  48.0 KB
+
DRIVING
  • I immediately realized that I wasn't driving something as sporty as the RDX. The MDX is a lot bigger and as such it drives more as an SUV than a car. Which is to be expected and not really anything I'm too surprised about. I also really can tell that I'm burning more gas.
  • As you can see above, the gear selector has been replaced with buttons which is cool, I guess... I miss the shifter as it mostly served as a comfortable place to put my hand. I didn't have any time to develop muscle memory using the buttons so I did feel clumsy when using them and trying to quickly shift from drive to reverse and vice versa.
  • The MDX has a function that holds the brake for you when you come to a stop so you can take your foot off the brake. I thought it was weird at first but it's so nice to come to a stop light and just take your feet away. It's like "break time!".
    • It sure makes frequent stops during uphill traffic more ergonomic. I'll be missing this feature for sure.
    • A bit annoying that you need to re-enable this function every time you start the vehicle, but there are certainly times when you wouldn't want it on, such as stop and go traffic while you're creeping along and making frequent complete stops.
  • The auto idle engine stop feature is cool. Never driven a car with it before and it gets you going again pretty quickly with minimal delay. Not sure what the long time implications of this system are with regards to the starter and battery, but hopefully it's well engineered. Something I've always wondered about...
    • Had some issues with idle engine stop while using the "Hold Brake" function. The engine would stop as per usual, but when I removed my foot from the brake, the engine would immediately start again without any application of throttle. I thought maybe this was normal but it was inconsistent. I'm guessing there's some intelligence going on in the background. For example, I don't think the engine will stop if the air conditioner is engaged. I didn't have enough time to pinpoint exactly what was going on, or RTFM for that matter.
  • I took some corners at a pretty good speed and it was very cool to see the SH-AWD in action. I'd like to put it to a better test in inclement weather but I won't have that opportunity. How cool is it that the vehicle can apply power to any wheel independently?! Super cool when cornering.
  • The MDX has a Capless fuel tank. I've never once been bothered by the arduous ordeal of unscrewing a gas cap, so it's an upgrade I'm impartial to. Just an observation.
SUMMARY
Really, the overall feel of the vehicle has so many similarities to my 2017 RDX. And this is something I'm very happy about because it means I'm not "missing out" on very much by having gone with a vehicle that's 3 years older. Many of the interior trim and interface is identical, so I can still be content in knowing that I'm driving an up-to-date vehicle.
  • The trade-offs by downsizing are obvious... next-to-nil towing capacity and less storage. The RDX is very shy on neat little hidden compartments to store stuff. Perhaps rightly so, as the RDX is more of a commuter car and the MDX is more versatile.
  • Really wish I had Android Auto in the RDX. I'll be researching ways to go about this, but I imagine they'll be ludicrously expensive.
  • Didn't think I'd be keen on the "Brake Hold" function, but it's SWEET. I'll miss it.
  • I'm totally comfortable driving a larger vehicle, but the wife isn't... So that was always the final nail in the coffin for the MDX.
..Still happy with the RDX. For the very infrequent times that I ever need the enhanced versatility of a larger vehicle, I'll settle for the increased gas mileage and much sportier drive. Not to mention the substantial increase in cost by going with the MDX... maybe one day...

Hopefully this write-up can provide some help for anyone trying to decide between the MDX or RDX.

Thank-you for reading this far, and I welcome any suggestions, feedback or constructive criticisms.

-jason

Name:  ihGRecA.jpg
Size:  97.9 KB
Name:  Zjmzgao.jpg
Size:  83.4 KB

The following users liked this post:
Comfy (09-20-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 04:09 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice review. I own a 2019 MDX Advance now (Elite in Canada?) and prior had a 2017 cpo RDX Advance.

You liked the spare tire area, but the 2020 MDX Tech does NOT have a spare tire, at least here in the US. The MDX Advance and RDX Advance both have a spare and the MDX has roomier captains chairs.

To be honest, it depends on your needs. We have kids and lots of sports equipment we needed to haul around so we went to the MDX for the extra room and seats.

I prefer driving the MDX on the highway, but i prefer the RDX around town where i drive 99% of the time. But because I need the room, we have the MDX. Not that the RDX is bad on the highway, just the MDX when loaded up with stuff rides very well. Around town, in parking lots, etc, the RDX is so much easier to maneuver, see everything and easier to park.

Have you looked at the 2021 RDX? Don't buy the 2019, heard of issues. I've driven the 2020 RDX and it was nice, but only had it for a day.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MjAuto
Nice review. I own a 2019 MDX Advance now (Elite in Canada?) and prior had a 2017 cpo RDX Advance.

You liked the spare tire area, but the 2020 MDX Tech does NOT have a spare tire, at least here in the US. The MDX Advance and RDX Advance both have a spare and the MDX has roomier captains chairs.

To be honest, it depends on your needs. We have kids and lots of sports equipment we needed to haul around so we went to the MDX for the extra room and seats.

I prefer driving the MDX on the highway, but i prefer the RDX around town where i drive 99% of the time. But because I need the room, we have the MDX. Not that the RDX is bad on the highway, just the MDX when loaded up with stuff rides very well. Around town, in parking lots, etc, the RDX is so much easier to maneuver, see everything and easier to park.

Have you looked at the 2021 RDX? Don't buy the 2019, heard of issues. I've driven the 2020 RDX and it was nice, but only had it for a day.

I was wondering about the tire. I didn't actually go hunting for it, but figured maybe it was mounted in a similar way to pickup trucks. That's a good piece of information to know! I had heard that newer vehicles were leaving the spare tires out.

In all my time driving, I've never once changed a tire on the side of the road, but of course once you need a spare, you really need a spare.

Totally agree with you about fitting the vehicle to your needs. The 2017 RDX is treating us very well so far, and for any other needs that we may encounter we still have the pickup truck.

I have checked out the 2021 and obviously fell in love with it, but unfortunately, it's out of the price range. Same towing capacity as the 2017 is what I heard.

We've only had the RDX for a few weeks so I'm not looking for any upgrades at present.

Appreciate your reply ans opinions!

-jason
Old 09-12-2020, 01:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MjAuto
All Canadian Acura MDX models, aside from the heated front seats, also get the second-row heated outboard seats as standard equipment as well. A feature unique to Canadian MDX models are headlight washers. In terms of packages, Canadian MDX models get only two: Technology and Elite. The Technology package corresponds essentially to the US model's Technology package while the Elite package is an amalgamation of the US model's Sport and Entertainment packages. However, AcuraLink real-time traffic reporting through XM NavTraffic is unavailable for Canadian MDX models.
...taken from wikipedia

-jason
Old 09-12-2020, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
3g mdx (2014 mdx)

Our 2014-MDX Tech SH-AWD had a real spare tire (mounted underneath).

Best use of third row for us was keeping it folded down flat for the extra storage (while keeping use of back-seat).
We also liked the hidden storage area under the back lid.

Basic design and Tech in RDX goes back to 2013, but it was re-designed in 2019 I think.
Basic design and Tech of MDX goes back to 2014. Still not re-designed.
We really liked the on-board JukeBox music-storage, and being able to direct-auto-rip real CDs to it with GraceNote naming. I made a Preset that showed all ripped albums on the screen and you could select one to play.

Over the years, the MDX's Tech was upgraded slightly (faster processor, added CarPlay/Siri EyesFree, etc.). I think they also increased the resolution and quality of backup-camera. We saw those things in slightly-newer service loaners.

It was a good SUV. Here are my maintenance notes that should apply to all similar models.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-.../#post16621988

Last edited by Tesla1856; 09-12-2020 at 11:33 PM.