2016 RDX: Second skin protection +door edge films

Old 07-03-2015, 06:26 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 RDX: Second skin protection +door edge films

Hi everyone,
Has anyone had any experience with the paint protection services on the RDX, such as Opti-coat or CQuartz? I read a few posts on some older models and am considering getting my 2016 AWP Black coated with a second skin. However, I bought the car off the lot with the door edge films already installed. Would I have to get them removed and put back on after the coating? Or is it safe to coat over the films? What are your thoughts?
Old 07-04-2015, 01:54 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by le.tiffany
Hi everyone,
Has anyone had any experience with the paint protection services on the RDX, such as Opti-coat or CQuartz? I read a few posts on some older models and am considering getting my 2016 AWP Black coated with a second skin. However, I bought the car off the lot with the door edge films already installed. Would I have to get them removed and put back on after the coating? Or is it safe to coat over the films? What are your thoughts?
I've put Opti-coat of our two cars. It is a great product. Unfortunately Opti-coat doesn't sell the old Opti-Coat 2.0 any longer. They sell a different lesser product. I haven't used CQuartz but I've heard good things about it. Don't confuse these with a clear bra. These are more like a very thin extra layer of clear coat. Contrary to the marketing, they will wear off over time, but they will last years. If the car is brand new and you aren't obsessive, you could apply these yourself after a thorough cleaning, but most people will want to polish the car and correct any blemishes before applying one of these coatings. They bond to the clear coat and can only be removed mechanically (ie polishing). You could leave the door edge guards on, but if you polish the car I'd remove them.

When I Opti-coated our cars it took several hours of cleaning and polishing to get the various scratches and swirl marks out of the clear coat. The coating only takes a short amount of time to apply.