2016 RDX AWD Tech + AW Fathom Blue Pearl

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 RDX AWD Tech + AW Fathom Blue Pearl

Relatively few 2016 RDXs will be manufactured in a new color, Fathom Blue Pearl. It's a rather dark color, appearing almost blackish at night or in poor light. But the highly reflective metallic finish brings out beautiful light blue highlights, as these pics show. We've had the car for a couple of weeks. I'll post some initial impressions (all very positive) here.

Last edited by BPalladium; 07-08-2015 at 04:49 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by BPalladium:
Comfy (07-08-2015), Curious3GTL (07-08-2015), kfhughes (07-08-2015), nupami (07-08-2015), SlowLane (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
That's a beautiful color. Congrats!!!
The following users liked this post:
BPalladium (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Its what I want if only I could have the black interior. Great colour.
The following 2 users liked this post by BLEXV6:
BPalladium (07-09-2015), JTRADAR61 (07-12-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 07:41 PM
'16 FBP Advance FWD

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Interior pics, too

If all goes well, this will be the color on my Advance later this year. But since it's so hard to find locally, I'd like to see the interior as well
BPalladium (07-09-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Purdy

I looked up that color on acura.com and didn't realize you have to order a Tech or above to get that color.
BPalladium (07-09-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Seen this color a few days ago, BEAUTIFUL!!! It is both classy and sporty, it makes the RDX look restrained.
BPalladium (07-09-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
It is indeed a gorgeous color - in fact maybe my favorite. Congratulations!!

Again, the color along with white that I wish came with the ebony interior!!
BPalladium (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 02:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
It is indeed a gorgeous color - in fact maybe my favorite. Congratulations!!

Again, the color along with white that I wish came with the ebony interior!!
Sadly, it only comes with a nasty grey leather interior, that is actually enough to make me never choose this exterior color. On the other hand, would LOVE to see this color with parchment or saddle or chestnut brown interior.
BPalladium (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Very Nice.

Congrats and enjoy!
BPalladium (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Love the color, can't wait to see it in person.
BPalladium (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Love the blue but can't get past the gray interior. We went Black/Black on our RDX
BPalladium (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you please post interior pics with the grey leather ? Thank you !!!
BPalladium (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Second that !.... interior pics please.
Exterior looks awesome !!

Originally Posted by KoRn
Could you please post interior pics with the grey leather ? Thank you !!!
BPalladium (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Interior

Sorry I couldn't post these sooner. I fully understand that a lot of people won't be happy with the gray interior... but we really like it. We live in Virginia where it's extremely hot in the summer -- a disincentive to a black interior. From an artistic standpoint, I think the gray is preferable to a warm color... personally (and of course others will see it differently) I think a car's interior color should be in the same key as the exterior (warm vs. cool). That said, the gray color isn't a cold, clinical gray at all. In fact, it's somewhat warm -- more like a heather -- providing a bit of contrast to the exterior color without introducing a discordant note. Anyway, here are the pics!

The following 6 users liked this post by BPalladium:
Curious3GTL (07-09-2015), giovane (07-09-2015), kfhughes (07-09-2015), NLRL (07-10-2015), nupami (07-09-2015), Rocket_man (07-11-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
I actually like the gray in the way they've done it in the RDX. However, the gray turned me off completely when I was looking at the '13 MDX I had previously. the color was the same (including blue exterior), but the gray also extended to the entire dashboard (top included) AND the steering wheel was gray leather. To me it was too much gray and it actually looked "funky" with all those top pieces in that color. but on the RDX they kept the black dash top and leather on the wheel, which matches my wife's TL with the taupe (lighter gray) interior.

if I was getting a '16 RDX I'd probably pick this color combo.

andy
Old 07-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BPalladium
Sorry I couldn't post these sooner. I fully understand that a lot of people won't be happy with the gray interior... but we really like it. We live in Virginia where it's extremely hot in the summer -- a disincentive to a black interior. From an artistic standpoint, I think the gray is preferable to a warm color... personally (and of course others will see it differently) I think a car's interior color should be in the same key as the exterior (warm vs. cool). That said, the gray color isn't a cold, clinical gray at all. In fact, it's somewhat warm -- more like a heather -- providing a bit of contrast to the exterior color without introducing a discordant note. Anyway, here are the pics!

Please excuse me while I go to the kitchen and prepare the table so that I may eat my own words. This is actually REALLY REALLY nice, I didn't expect that at all. I was expecting some form of hospital sterile grey color. Was NOT expecting to have this almost creamy slate kind of grey. It is done so well, especially when in proximity to the dark dash and the light grey trim.

I love it. Don't know if I would take this over parchment though, but still would not mind it at all.
BPalladium (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDX10
Was NOT expecting to have this almost creamy slate kind of grey. It is done so well, especially when in proximity to the dark dash and the light grey trim.
Be aware that the Web doesn't do a very good job of conveying color -- I am sure that the color shown in my pics comes across differently depending on your browser/operating system/display, etc. With all that said, I think "creamy slate" captures the color perfectly. We think it's really pretty and adds a bright note to our experience with the car. I totally understand that it's not going to be to everyone's liking and I wish Acura made more interior option choices available.

Last edited by BPalladium; 07-09-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I am a black interior guy and have had grey interiors before and I thought they were just okay. That is really nice.
BPalladium (07-09-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

First impressions

As promised....

1. Compared to the 2010 RDX (1st gen) which I previously owned, the 2016 RDX AWD isn't as much fun to drive... but then again, few cars are as fun to drive as the 1st generation RDX! I'll miss it -- but I won't miss the rough ride. Compared to the 1st generation's turbo-charged but laggy four-banger, the V6 is powerful and responsive -- and it runs like a Swiss watch, with wonderfully throaty sounds on acceleration. Even though the RDX's AWD isn't up to the rear-axle performance of more advanced AWD designs, there is very little torque steer. Moreover, improvements to the 2016 RDX suspension, including better motor mounts and redesigned rear shocks, improves handling considerably over its second-generation predecessors. Those looking for sporty handling will prefer a BMW X3, if you're willing to pay the $10K premium for a comparably equipped model. Even so, the 2016 RDX handles quite well for its class, and provides an improved, luxurious ride as well. I think the 2016 RDX hits the sweet spot for Acura buyers... great handling and performance, but with a luxury feel. After driving the car for the first time, my wife -- an experienced driver of our former 1st generation RDX -- stated, "It's a miracle."

2. The AcuraWatch safety features, as well as those included in the Tech package, are very well engineered and unobtrusive. You are not forced to use them, and you can specify the feedback level in the Settings menu. After using them for a couple of weeks I must say that I cannot imagine not having them. By far the best is the adaptive cruise control, which is totally addictive. I very much appreciate the blind spot and rear transverse traffic alerts, which together address two of the most stressful aspects of driving, in my experience. The collision detection system kicked in, and began applying the brakes, when an approaching driver swerved out of his lane into ours on a windy country road. All this happened a split second before I hit the brakes, too, canceling the automatic system's operation. The approaching driver recovered quickly, averting an accident. Had he not done so, the split second difference between the system's response and my own might have well have made a difference, had an impact occurred. For me, this was an object lesson in the merits of driving automation. In a split second, any qualms I had about upgrading to a 2016 RDX evaporated.

3. We are seeing mileage somewhat better than the EPA predictions (19/27). Around town, we're getting about 22 -24. We're consistently getting 29-30 on interstates. This is possibly due to my reluctance to put my foot into the pedal during the break-in period!

4. There is no sign of vibration or other detectable changes when the engine shifts to three-cylinder operation in order to conserve fuel. We have been unable to tell when the transition occurs.

5. The noisy rear shocks problem in previous second-generation RDXs appears to have been resolved.
The following 6 users liked this post by BPalladium:
5 Acuras (07-09-2015), Hey Casey (08-09-2015), mdfree (07-10-2015), nupami (07-10-2015), othermike (09-24-2015), Rocket_man (07-11-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Thanks for the photos, great color combination!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BPalladium
Be aware that the Web doesn't do a very good job of conveying color -- I am sure that the color shown in my pics comes across differently depending on your browser/operating system/display, etc. With all that said, I think "creamy slate" captures the color perfectly. We think it's really pretty and adds a bright note to our experience with the car. I totally understand that it's not going to be to everyone's liking and I wish Acura made more interior option choices available.
You do make a good point, however I am pretty sure that it would still look awesome in person. I hate that plasticy kind of grey leather on older cars, this is so light and "creamy" that I like it a lot.

Wish they would offer a white leather interior, or ivory.
BPalladium (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 12:36 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is the same color combination(blue exterior/grey interior) that I have on my 2016 RDX. The blue exterior is classy looking IMO; and I find the grey interior is a nice contrast. I also have a 2010 RDX which is now my second car. I have ~ 400 miles on the 2016 and my MPG is barely averaging 20 MPG. In city driving it is 17-18 MPG. I love the car, but hope the MPG improves over time.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Mileage

Originally Posted by computer_man
In city driving it is 17-18 MPG. I love the car, but hope the MPG improves over time.
I had the same experience. After 700 miles or so, I started seeing the great mileage I'm now getting. I think the engine is really tight during the break-in period. The change came all of a sudden, actually -- weird.

Be aware, too, that the INFO screen settings for Trip A and Trip B might be set to LAST IGNITION rather than LAST FUELING or MANUAL. On a Tech model, you can check this by pressing Settings while viewing the Info screen. If it's set to LAST IGNITION, your mileage will likely look lousy because you're doing a lot of street, stop-and-go driving after starting from a parking space.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:06 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice combination. I went with blk on blk as it was the only one avail last minute. Would have preferred a lighter interior.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:28 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Does the adaptive cruise control have the ability to start and stop the car? I'd prefer my next car to be able to inch me along in stop and go traffic.

Does it have any steering assist/lane keep assist programs? If so, what do you think of them?

Beautiful color inside and out -- I love how that interior looks. Congratulations!
Old 07-15-2015, 11:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ALarsh
Does the adaptive cruise control have the ability to start and stop the car? I'd prefer my next car to be able to inch me along in stop and go traffic.

Does it have any steering assist/lane keep assist programs? If so, what do you think of them?

Beautiful color inside and out -- I love how that interior looks. Congratulations!
Sorry for my belated response! Yes, my RDX has adaptive cruise control (ACC) and lane keeping assistance -- both are included with the AcuraWatch package. ACC doesn't work below 25 mph. However, if you failed to detect a stopped vehicle ahead, the collision detection system will kick in and stop the car... but this would be an emergency situation, not normal stop-and-go traffic. I believe BMW offers a true stop-and-go adaptive cruise system but, unless I'm mistaken, I believe it's only included in vehicles that have nearly all of the other option packages... meaning that, for an X3, you'd be spending $55K!

The RDX's ACC suits our needs well because, in rural central Virginia, we rarely encounter stop-and-go traffic on the interstate. There is, however, a lot of slow righ-lane traffic that requires a lane change. The ACC does a good job of slowing down in the face of a slow vehicle ahead, and then accelerating up to the preset speed after you move to the left lane. A setting on the steering wheel enables you to adjust the steering distance to your satisfaction. When ACC is turned on, the preset speed appears on the multiinformation display. This system is well engineered and is totally addicting.

Like ACC, the lane-keeping assistance system (LKAS) is well engineered and useful -- I compared the Acura implementation with several others, including BMW and Mazda. It is designed to warn you, and to a limited extent actually steer the car, if your attention wanders and you start drifting out of your lane. Effective only at speeds greater than 45mph, the steering assistance is continuously active -- you can feel the system at work as you steer manually. This is actually a terrific feature in that it takes all the manual effort out of making the thousands of small corrections necessary to keep in the center of a lane. To a limited extent, the system will actually steer the car through a gentle curve, but if you take your hands off the wheel and make no inputs for a specified (short) time, you see a message that says "Steering Assistance Required" and, if not provided, the system shuts down. When LKAS is enabled, you see a graphic on the multiinformation display that shows two dashed lane lines. If the lane lines' backgrounds are solid white, LKAS has detected the lane markers and is enabled. If the background is black, so that only an outline of the markers is shown, the system has failed to detect the lanes and pauses. This commonly occurs at intersections, but very seldom on a properly maintained interstate. You can optionally choose a setting that sounds an audible beep when lane detection fails, but we found this very annoying and turned it off. The visual warning is sufficient. Should you drift out of your lane without signaling, LKAS sounds an audible beep and displays a visual warning.

There is an separately controlled lane departure warning (LDW) system that can be enabled even if LKAS is turned off. (The switch for this isn't on the wheel; it's on the dash, at the lower left.) Therefore, drivers who don't want or need the steering assistance feature can still receive an audible and visual warning if lane departure occurs.

Another great feature is the Rear Cross Traffic Monitor (RCTM), which operates only when the vehicle is in reverse. When you're backing out of a parking space, this system warns you of approaching cross traffic.. and it works really well.

Combined with the blind spot detection system and an active collision detection system (capable of stopping the vehicle if a collision is imminent), the RDX's safety features are near the top of the game. But you get the full package only by purchasing the Tech and the Acurawatch packages -- the blind spot detection is part of the Tech package.

Last edited by BPalladium; 07-15-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Typos
The following 2 users liked this post by BPalladium:
ALarsh (07-15-2015), Rocket_man (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 10:30 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Please excuse me while I go to the kitchen and prepare the table so that I may eat my own words.
Quote of the thread .....
The car looks super nice though..congratulations.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:43 PM
J37A5

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Well my wonderful wife wanted a Tech. The 2013 is a base. Did the deal after much haggling with the local dealer. They had an FBP Tech on the lot and that's the only color she wanted. I personally wish Acura offered ebony with the FBP. Not a fan of the graystone as I will have to keep it clean. Oh well. I hope I come to like it over time, but the FBP is an awesome color to be sure. Picking it up this weekend.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:07 PM
J37A5

Old 09-27-2015, 10:14 PM
J37A5

Old 01-19-2018, 08:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just brought home mine in the fathom blue pearl and gray stone colors. I can’t wait until morning to see what it actually looks like in the daylight since we were not able to see the car in daytime.
Unfortunately Acura doesn’t make a gray cargo cover so I have to choose between the parchment and black. I’m thinking black is the no brainer option. Thoughts?