Notices

2014 RDX backup camera replacement

Old 02-27-2018, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 RDX backup camera replacement

My back up camera got a little ice in it and then fried when we had a melt. I'm wondering if any could link a reasonable priced replacement. I have the tech package and was happy enough with the camera until the seal went.

Thanks
Derrick
Old 02-27-2018, 11:29 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 160 Likes on 145 Posts
My car had a similar issue since last month. The camera appeared really blurry at times but relatively clear afterwards. Iím suspecting some moisture inside. Itís going to the dealership tomorrow. Will keep you updated.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Also had serious problems with the backup camera in my 2014 RDX, suspecting high pressure water that got in after i took the car to a hand wash place. Got blurry at the beginning but a few days later it stopped working (either white or black screen when putting the car in reverse mode).
I took out the camera (~1.5 hrs job) and put it in a sealed bag with silicate gel but it didn't seem to make any difference.

When i asked the dealer, they sell the backup camera for ~$300 CAD (part only), and ~$500 CAD with the install. I personally find the labor cost at Acura dealers stupidly high.
Right now i am settling on this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-13-15-Ac...5ZxcOY&vxp=mtr

Still waiting for it to arrive and maybe i can give some feedback on the picture quality, etc.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:21 AM

Thanks, it would be great to hear how it works out.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:48 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Looks like you are very technically minded. How did you take apart the camera from the tailgate? Is it technically challenging or a beginner can do it without breaking something else? Can you give step by step instructions please. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

It was not really complicated, i spent that much time only because i was diving into the unknown (did not find anything about the process) and i did not want to break anything.

Right now i already assembled back everything while waiting for the camera to arrive and i took only a few pictures that i will attach here. Essencially you have to remove the interior panels starting from the top horizontal one, then the 2 side panels and finally the large panel piece in the bottom, make sure when you pull each panel to not flex it too much (particularely the large panel that requies a lit bit of force to remove).

Also make sure to remove the plastic part (the handle inside) with the liftgate button before removing the large panel otherwise the large panel will stick there.

Last thing, there is a platic connector for the camera that is attached to the metal frame (probably to prevent theft). Simply disconnect the camera connector then rotate the plastic part (like 45 degrees) to remove it from the frame.

Now the main issue at this stage is that the backup camera cannot be removed from the inside, rather you have to take it out from the outside. You will have to remove a small panel located on top of the license plate (it has openings for the license plate lights and the backup camera). I removed it by gently hamering the plastic screws that hold it in place from the inside.

Not sure if this explanation makes it easy to do but i will add a detailed tutorial once i open it again to install the camera.

Hope it helps.

here are a few pics i took:

Old 02-28-2018, 08:16 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

That's really impressive. My car's dealer visit ended up in an anticlimax. My dad had gone there since I was busy. The dealership didn't find anything wrong with the camera since the blurriness had improved a lot since the cold weather and rain had subsided . They just showed my dad how to increase the brightness of the screen and advised to call back if the problem recurs. Whatever, .......if it saves me money I'm not going to complain... ha ha.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Comfy View Post
That's really impressive. My car's dealer visit ended up in an anticlimax. My dad had gone there since I was busy. The dealership didn't find anything wrong with the camera since the blurriness had improved a lot since the cold weather and rain had subsided . They just showed my dad how to increase the brightness of the screen and advised to call back if the problem recurs. Whatever, .......if it saves me money I'm not going to complain... ha ha.
Good stuff, of course you can't complain if nothing wrong with the camera
Old 03-02-2018, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the disassembly run down. That will save some hassle for me.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:57 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by slayer2333 View Post
Good stuff, of course you can't complain if nothing wrong with the camera
i has previously started a thread with the issues with my camera with screen shots of the poor quality picture at that time. Itís better now but not like before the cold snap.
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#&gid=1&pid=4
Old 03-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Comfy View Post

i has previously started a thread with the issues with my camera with screen shots of the poor quality picture at that time. Itís better now but not like before the cold snap.
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#&gid=1&pid=4
Maybe the silicate Gel is still an option for you then. Mine started with the same blurriness issues before a complete blackout (i suspect the -20 degrees C at that time to be the leading factor).
Old 03-29-2018, 01:05 PM

My 2014 RDX has an access panel inside that pops off allowing me to get to the camera. The camera comes out by reaching from the outside and squeezing a lock lever at the front (toward front of car) of the camera and simply dropping it through the hole. I can't figure out how to got the connector undone. Is there a lock/latch on it or do I just pull the other harness out?
Old 03-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Dana D View Post
My 2014 RDX has an access panel inside that pops off allowing me to get to the camera. The camera comes out by reaching from the outside and squeezing a lock lever at the front (toward front of car) of the camera and simply dropping it through the hole. I can't figure out how to got the connector undone. Is there a lock/latch on it or do I just pull the other harness out?
There is a lock only on one side of the connector that you need to squeeze when pulling it off. Look at the last picture that i posted, the big white connector at the right side is what you have to keep connected to the camera when removing it (it may look like 2 connectors but actually it is a single block).
Old 03-29-2018, 02:17 PM

Thanks slayer2333! Got the connector apart so next step is to get the camera out but it started raining so I will attempt later.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 AM

I know this thread is almost a year old, but wanted to chime in and say that the camera from ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/263753191834 for under $30) works great in my 2015 RDX. My old camera must've blown a seal somewhere and let the moisture in.

The downside is that the new camera doesn't seem to respond to the different view modes (e.g. wide vs normal) via the control panel. I'm OK with that as it's "set" at what I think is the wide angle mode which is what I always used anyway with the stock camera.

Also, I did not have to remove the whole set of inner trim as there are two access panels that you can pry out to give you access. You also need to release the exterior trim piece so you can fish out the camera after you pop free the spring tabs holding it in. All in all, a pretty easy fix. It took me about half an hour, mostly just figuring out all the bits that needed to be released, and could probably do it again in half that time.