2013 RDX vs 2013 Hyundai Santa FE sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 RDX vs 2013 Hyundai Santa FE sport

First i like to say hello to All
This is my first post ..
My wife really think about the new RDX..
I love the car ..Buy i like the new Santa FE sport full loaded ..
The price is almost close to RDX tech ..
What do you think guys .??

Ps:
My wife say Hyundai is not a car ..
I do not want to say what She said.Lol
Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Santa Fe looks decent. To be honest the majority of the vehicles in this segment all look very similar.

The Santa Fe should offer better tech toys than the Acura at a better price. Just glancing at the Hyundai website, it runs regular, standard power liftgate, panoramic sunroof, torque vectoring AWD, 4WD lock mode, LED DRL, selectable power steering modes, longer warranty, likely higher tow rating and a bigger gas tank.

The Acura should have better fit/finish, resale, and possibly better reliability.

Last edited by musty hustla; 08-27-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: doens't look like v6 is for sale
Old 08-27-2012, 07:53 PM
9th Gear

Thank you Musta Hustla

We test Q5..X3..XC60...EX35..
RDX over all was winer ..
So far new Santa Fe is not yet available to test drive in Toronto
The following users liked this post:
diamondcut (09-02-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hyundai makes very nice vehicles, but the brand overall is considered a step or two below Acura. I personally like the feeling of driving a car that is in the luxury category but isn't a quite a "status" brand, if you know what I mean.

If you don't feel that way, and if the prices between the two are similar, then I'd buy whichever one gives you the most joy. But if the joy levels are similar, I'd go with the Acura because of resale value, reliability, and cachet.
RDXfreak (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Hyundai and Kia are fast learners. Their vehicle offerings have increased in styling, quality, power, and technology faster than most other manufacturers. I wouldn't think about putting 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe in the same sentence at a 2008 RDX four years ago. But now, the lines are not as well defined as before.

I think of cars like homes: Buy the cheapest house in the most expensive neighborhood you can afford compared to the most expensive house in the cheapest neighborhood.

Acura/Honda has a very high reputation of reliability, value, price, performance, and customer service which provides a higher resale value. Not a lot of Acura/Honda in the junk yard after 200,000 miles. Since Acura is a luxury brand with new models rolling out in the next 12-24 months; all the new tech, performance, luxury will start to roll down to the already release models. Hyundai will still play follow the leader(s) gathering up the folks that think of cars like an accountant buying an appliance instead of viewing a vehicle as something that supports a particular lifestyle.

People still say “that is a nice looking car” or “I can’t believe this car is 4 years old” in the RDX (and the TSX). No one ever said my Honda Accord was the nice looking car in the 11 years I owned it.

Appliance or Lifestyle…
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
psychostud (08-31-2012), RDXfreak (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:07 AM
9th Gear

Thank you guys ..
We will make the decision in December and i let you know what we chose ..
Old 08-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
AutoGuide just made a video a few days ago. The Santa Fe looked like a solid vehicle, but a test drive should clear up any questions that the specification sheet can't answer.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I agree very much so with "mrgold35"....Hyundai has come along way since the Pony days and although Acura is still a name to reckon with with it comes to re-sale and reliability, Hyundai is a class leader when it comes to offering amazing styling/features/pricing! It will be interesting to see Hyundai in a few more years from now because if we go back to the early days of Honda and Toyota, who would have known they'd be where they are today.

I often laughed at people buying Hyundai and now, I own a little Accent and I can tell you, that thing is incredible for what it is. On the highway, the 6 speed tranny is just amazing, the car is solid, no rattles, its great on fuel, plenty roomy and fits and finish for that size vehicle can't be criticized.....

What I do like about my RDX (over the Santa Fe) is that where I live, they are very rare and make my vehicle more unique unlike the Santa Fe (and Rav4, CR-V etc) that are just everywhere.
RDXfreak (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 08:50 AM
9th Gear

Thank you guys

Yesterday i has a chance to se a new Santa Fe Sport limited
Outside the car looks really nice ..The back remained me a X5
But interior do not impress me ..In my opinion interior RDX is a PRADA
Santa Fe is a Banana Republic ..More features in Santa Fe..
We did not test drive yet ..Next week ..Buy so far my wife say .The winner is RDX

Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
What I do like about my RDX (over the Santa Fe) is that where I live, they are very rare and make my vehicle more unique unlike the Santa Fe (and Rav4, CR-V etc) that are just everywhere.
Weather has a good point. Although in my area there are literally tons of MDX's and the new RDX does look very similiar. That being said, I won't mind anyone thinking I'm driving a $50k vehicle!

In regard to the actual comparison between the RDX and the Santa Fe, if you make a line by line comparison the Hyundai looks like a very strong option. However the actual driving experience will (granted everyone has their own opinion) clearly show the RDX has better fit and finish.

Every time I drive my wife's loaded Accord I really don't mind it at all. It's a nice car with a lot of features. And then I hop back into my RDX and I just say Ahhhh now this is great.

Last edited by BlackDogRDX; 08-30-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I am brand new to this forum (this is my first post) so bare with me here I currently drive a 2005 Acura RSX with 171,000 miles! Still drives beautifully, but job requires needing more cargo space and my passion for snowboarding means I want space AND awd to drive through the mountains easily during the winter.

That being said, I've looked at every SUV/CUV in my price range (under $37k) and am down to the 2013 Acura RDX and 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe as well. Saving $5-6k gives Hyundai a one up there, even though I trust Acura (my rsx gave me 170,000 wonderful miles).

That being said, I want to add to this discussion. I know everyone says the RDX is a step above, which I do not disagree with. However, Hyundai DOES have the torque vectoring awd system (similar to the SH-AWD) and the RDX no longer has that. My thoughts are, wouldn't this make the Hyundai handle much better especially around turns and off road? Not putting down the RDX, I LOVE that car and honestly its my goal to own one. But for less money you can get a fully loaded Santa Fe with the better AWD system.

Thoughts or input anyone? Please keep in mind, that yes the RDX is a better car if money was not a factor. But being an unmarried (though that may change in a year or two) 30 year old environmental scientist, I live on a budget.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Here's a review of the RDX:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/specs.html

And here's a review of the Santa Fe 2.0 Turbo:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_first_test/

Looking at the performance numbers, the RDX totally dominates the Santa Fe, despite similar power ratings:

RDX:
0-60mph: 6.2s
1/4 mile: 14.8s@95mph
Braking 60-0: 117ft

Santa Fe 2.0 Turbo:
0-60mph: 9.1s
1/4 mile: 16.8s@82.7mph
Braking 60-0: 122ft

I understand that people don't buy CUV's/SUV's to race. However, there's a huge gap in between the two in terms of performance. To put things into perspective, the RDX is as fast as the Toyota FR-S while the Santa Fe is as fast as a Toyota Yaris. Huge, huge difference.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Napoleon
I am brand new to this forum (this is my first post) so bare with me here I currently drive a 2005 Acura RSX with 171,000 miles! Still drives beautifully, but job requires needing more cargo space and my passion for snowboarding means I want space AND awd to drive through the mountains easily during the winter.

That being said, I've looked at every SUV/CUV in my price range (under $37k) and am down to the 2013 Acura RDX and 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe as well. Saving $5-6k gives Hyundai a one up there, even though I trust Acura (my rsx gave me 170,000 wonderful miles).

That being said, I want to add to this discussion. I know everyone says the RDX is a step above, which I do not disagree with. However, Hyundai DOES have the torque vectoring awd system (similar to the SH-AWD) and the RDX no longer has that. My thoughts are, wouldn't this make the Hyundai handle much better especially around turns and off road? Not putting down the RDX, I LOVE that car and honestly its my goal to own one. But for less money you can get a fully loaded Santa Fe with the better AWD system.

Thoughts or input anyone? Please keep in mind, that yes the RDX is a better car if money was not a factor. But being an unmarried (though that may change in a year or two) 30 year old environmental scientist, I live on a budget.
Is the torque vectoring important to you?
I can tell you that my current 2013 RDX drives and handles better that my previous 2008 MDX (with SH-AWD). I can't tell the difference between SH-AWD and no SH-AWD on dry pavement in most cases. On the snow there is a difference, but only if you push the car's limits.
I am sure that there are people who can tell the difference all the time and they would enjoy the feature. You have to know how important that is to you.
Drive both cars and you'll know!
Old 08-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Please keep in mind, that yes the RDX is a better car if money was not a factor. But being an unmarried (though that may change in a year or two) 30 year old environmental scientist, I live on a budget.
The "is it worth it" factor is one I don't think you'll get a fair answer here. Honestly I didn't expect to spend upwards of 35k on my next vehicle and still ended up in the RDX. I definitely was more confident going to that cost because of Acura's reliabiliy and potential resale value. Whether those two factors make up for a higher up front cost compared to the Hyundai, that's up to you.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Santa Fe 2.0 Turbo:
0-60mph: 9.1s
All I need to know.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:50 PM
mrgold35

sh-awd over drives the outside rear wheel to rotate the vehicle around corners, only works with the engine under power (no sh-awd when coasting or on the brake).

Hyundai Active cornering Control brakes the inside rear turning tire to help rotate the vehicle around corners. Don't know if the system works during coasting or braking around tight corners.

The RDX AWD set-up seems to be more efficient and/or less weight. There is only 1mpg combined difference for the FWD compared to the AWD RDX compared to 3 mpg combined difference for the Santa Fe:

Hyundai Sport 2.0T:
FWD 21/31/25
AWD 20/27/22

Acura RDX 3.5L:
FWD 20/28/23
AWD 19/27/22
Old 08-30-2012, 05:39 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by mrgold35
sh-awd over drives the outside rear wheel to rotate the vehicle around corners, only works with the engine under power (no sh-awd when coasting or on the brake).

Hyundai Active cornering Control brakes the inside rear turning tire to help rotate the vehicle around corners. Don't know if the system works during coasting or braking around tight corners.

The RDX AWD set-up seems to be more efficient and/or less weight. There is only 1mpg combined difference for the FWD compared to the AWD RDX compared to 3 mpg combined difference for the Santa Fe:

Hyundai Sport 2.0T:
FWD 21/31/25
AWD 20/27/22

Acura RDX 3.5L:
FWD 20/28/23
AWD 19/27/22
I think people need to understanding that the so-called torque vectoring system in the Santa Fe is pretty much a passive system derived from a typical vehicle stability system. There's really no comparison between such electronic system against the active, mechanical SH-AWD system used in the 1st gen RDX.

I believe most vehicle stability systems can apply braking pressure to each individual wheel whenever it's necessary with the help from the Electronic Brake Distribution system. So I'd imagine the passive electronic torque vectoring system should work whether the car is accelerating, coasting, or decelerating. It all depends on the individual wheel speed and how it compares to the speed of other wheels, the steering angle, speed of vehicle, etc.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Both the turbo and non-turbo go to 60 and cover the 1/4 mile in practically the same time? Something doesn't make sense.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
One thing you can be sure of using the Hyundai brake vectoring system? Frequent brake changes! I'm in my 2011 GTI and it has a similar feature. Front brakes are down below 50% at 13,000 miles.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:05 AM
Advanced

Thank you everyone for the input! Definitely helped clear things up I've never owned a AWD/4wd vehicle so my knowledge on how each system works is limited. I just hear many friends who have the SH-AWD say how much they love it and compliment the handling (most saying the only awd system better being Subaru). So I was confused when the 2013 RDX came without it and also the fact that its the only vehicle in the lineup that dropped it. I'm not going off-roading on a daily basis, but in NJ here the winters can be interesting. Not to mention my frequent drives to the Pocono Mountains and to upstate NY/Vermont for snowboarding. Just want to ensure that the AWD system in the 2013 RDX is still a top notch product and not just a cop out to save money and lighten the vehicle weight.

I simply don't have the money for the car now ($450-550 a month!?) so the plan is to save up $10k for a downpayment. Looking at June 2013. Hoping the price comes down by then and incentives/deals are more prevalent.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Just want to ensure that the AWD system in the 2013 RDX is still a top notch product and not just a cop out to save money and lighten the vehicle weight.
I'm sorry to say that's exactly what it is ... a way to reduce both costs and fuel consumption. I can't imagine anybody describing the new system as "top notch". From a purely business standpoint it was a good decision, but the move will do nothing to improve Acura's standing with enthusiasts already critical of the maker's direction. In the end Acura broadened the RDX's appeal to mainstream buyers. So while I understand the decision, as an enthusiast I'm still very disappointed.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:32 AM
Advanced

Thanks. I mean, I'm currently driving a 2005 Acura RSX, so it has to be a step up, right? :-P I'm not looking to go off-roading, I just want to know that the system is still good to deal with New England/NY/Pocono area winters. Not looking to race someone on a dirt track, but I want to know I'll be driving safely through moderate snow and/or mild to average ice conditions. Or is the SH-AWD THAT much better that I should opt for a used 2010-2012 RDX (or even a used 2010 MDX)?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Not looking to race someone on a dirt track, but I want to know I'll be driving safely through moderate snow and/or mild to average ice conditions. Or is the SH-AWD THAT much better that I should opt for a used 2010-2012 RDX (or even a used 2010 MDX)?
The '13 hasn't been out long enough for anyone to experience a great deal of snow and ice driving, but from what I've read the new AWD is fine for snow and mud, etc. Performance-wise (handling through turns, etc), it's not as good as the SH-AWD. But the buyers of the '13 model are more concerned with horsepower, gas mileage, ride comfort, refinement, etc. Slight differences in cornering aren't as important to them; many (most?) wouldn't even notice.

But it wasn't that long ago when 4wd owners had to manually stop the car and turn on 4WD. The new RDX is much better than that!

The old model RDX is a very different animal than the new one. There are many reasons why the '13 edition is a hot seller and the previous model was not. Definitely drive both!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:14 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by musty hustla
Both the turbo and non-turbo go to 60 and cover the 1/4 mile in practically the same time? Something doesn't make sense.
Yea, I think we should wait for another road test to see.....but it's not the first time I've seen something this weird from Hyundai....

Originally Posted by gbriank
One thing you can be sure of using the Hyundai brake vectoring system? Frequent brake changes! I'm in my 2011 GTI and it has a similar feature. Front brakes are down below 50% at 13,000 miles.
Oh yea...that's one of the downsides...but I'm guessing you drive your car pretty hard...I'd imagine the system doesn't engage if you drive normally.

Thank you everyone for the input! Definitely helped clear things up I've never owned a AWD/4wd vehicle so my knowledge on how each system works is limited. I just hear many friends who have the SH-AWD say how much they love it and compliment the handling (most saying the only awd system better being Subaru). So I was confused when the 2013 RDX came without it and also the fact that its the only vehicle in the lineup that dropped it. I'm not going off-roading on a daily basis, but in NJ here the winters can be interesting. Not to mention my frequent drives to the Pocono Mountains and to upstate NY/Vermont for snowboarding. Just want to ensure that the AWD system in the 2013 RDX is still a top notch product and not just a cop out to save money and lighten the vehicle weight.

I simply don't have the money for the car now ($450-550 a month!?) so the plan is to save up $10k for a downpayment. Looking at June 2013. Hoping the price comes down by then and incentives/deals are more prevalent.
Thanks. I mean, I'm currently driving a 2005 Acura RSX, so it has to be a step up, right? :-P I'm not looking to go off-roading, I just want to know that the system is still good to deal with New England/NY/Pocono area winters. Not looking to race someone on a dirt track, but I want to know I'll be driving safely through moderate snow and/or mild to average ice conditions. Or is the SH-AWD THAT much better that I should opt for a used 2010-2012 RDX (or even a used 2010 MDX)?
It will be a step-up from your RSX in terms of off-the-line traction for sure, given the same tires. The main advantage of SH-AWD is improved handling by overturning the outside rear wheel. This essentially reduces understeer. If you drive normally though, you will probably not feel any difference.

In the snow, the SH-AWD is also good because even if 3 wheels don't have traction, the remaining wheel will still be able to get the vehicle out of trouble. I'm not sure if the 2013 RDX can do so. With that said, the new RDX will be still be an improvement over your RSX. The RSX does not have LSD, and if one of the front wheels is stuck, then that wheel will just keep spinning while the other front wheel will get no power. In the end, you will be stuck. With the new RDX, if the front wheels are stuck, at least the rear wheels can get you through.

And yes, Acura did exactly that - they took away SH-AWD to reduce cost, to improve fuel economy, and to reduce weight. People in general didn't care much for SH-AWD. I personally is okay with that business decision, but wish that a Type S model would exist with SH-AWD and other performance upgrades.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
You can feel confident that the RDX will be a substantial step from your RSX up in terms of winter traction. That said, a good set of winter tires will make it that much better. If fuel economy isn't a huge concern, you might want to take a look at the MDX. Acura is dealing on the MDX so you might not even need to go pre-owned. My local dealer, unwilling to negotiate much on the RDX AWD Tech I was considering, offered me an MDX for less than their best price on the RDX. The MDX is a great vehicle, but it's not right for me for multiple reasons. It's an incredible value, however, and worth a test drive if it suits your needs.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 AM
mrgold35

The 07-12 RDX is still a pretty kick-a$$ vehicle! I like the upgrades of the 2013 RDX; but, the performance with Hondata + sh-awd of the 07-12 is very hard to give up (around 270hp/293tq with Hondata and K/N).

You can get a used RDX with tech anytime (07-09 body style I like the best)within your price range and use that $10,000 for something else (ski trip to the Rockies in the RDX).

One of Honda/Acura's strengths is building vehicles that will last. At the same time, one of Honda/Acura's weakness is they built vehicles that last and folks don't want to give them up. It will take you about 50,000 miles of gas at $3.80 per gallon with a 07-12 RDX at 20 mpg average to equal $10,000 you would put down on the 2013 RDX. You can do A LOT of skiing with $10,000!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I switched to KIA Sorento - Awesome car

I put 100k miles on my 08 RDX AWD- over four years. I ended up hating some things that enthusiasts liked. Mainly, the turbo whine and 2 second lag, and the whip-lash like stiff suspension. When the time came for a new cuv/suv, i (now with twins) went with the '12 Sorento SX AWD. In every respect, it is better than the '08 RDX. quieter, smother, better mileage (24 vs 22). a lot more room. less expensive. regular gas.

If the '13 RDX had not been delayed (from 2011 release), i might have looked at it. Now, With a year and 30K on the Sorento, i am glad i didnt wait.

I took a bit of a risk veering from Honda/ Acura. My family's last 5 cars were from them. Now, I can say i am sold on the Korean cars, which delivers what honda group USED to offer.
I hope Honda can regain its crown.. after a lot of duds, perhaps the tech and value shown in the new accord shows a change in direction (for the good this time).
time will tell. PS- wife still has the RDX, so i can make easy comparisons..
Old 09-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced

The Sorrento is good and all, but you aren't really saving money compared to the RDX. The Sorrento SX with a couple added options will run you about $35,000 MSRP. The new 2013 RDX gets better gas mileage than the Sorrento as well. Now, if you were comparing to the price of an MDX (a 7 passenger SUV) then I would say yes, you are saving money. I test drove the Sorrento and felt like the 2013 RDX just drove better, softer ride, better handling, and generally more comfortable. If the Sorrento (comparably equipped) came in at lets say $29,000 then I'd put some serious consideration. But to save $1000, I'd think the more comfortable and luxurious car would be the way to go.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pricewise, i got the Sorento SX AWD (which comes loaded) with the roof, listed at $37k, for $5k off, or $32k. The '13 RDX, AWD Tech is $39k, and i understand that dealers are not discounting much. thus, if you can get the RDX for say $38K, i saved $6k for a car that is (still) bigger than the '13 rdx. As i said, the RDX has apparently improved a lot, and it would be in consideration had it been available last year. I have not seen the '13 RDX in person, so i will believe the reviews for now..
Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

icenoir....I can see why you decided to make the choice you did at the time. Although I am an Acura fan, I can appreciate what Hyundai/Kia are offering. I can't get over the features they offer in their vehicle and the price they charge for it. I never thought I would have came to the defense of Hyundai/Kia but after owning a little Accent (2012), for the money, that car is just incredible. It is amazingly fuel efficient, tight (no rattles), the 6 speed transmission is smooth, the car is quiet and the only flaw I would say is when the fuel tank is about down to 1/4 left, a strong cross wind makes the car go all over the road.

So I agree with you that the Sorento is a nice ride and for the price, its pretty hard to beat and the 2013 Santa Fe is going to be a great seller as well. Like you, I think Hyundai/Kia is at a point today where Toyota/Honda were several years ago. Time will tell how their long term reliability and resale value will be but I would not blame anyone for making the decision you made. I will likely keep driving Acura's for a while because I love the experience at the dealer, love the fact that they are very rare here where I live (unlike the Kia and Hyundai) and for me, I buy a car based on what I want rather than what is the best bang for my buck....My TL and RDX are my toys so I don't want to skimp out on them.

After seeing what my friend *Birdy*feet* did with her TL (traded for an Audi)....I'll be talking to her next year when my TL is getting close to be swapped to see if I am go that route as well.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Advanced

I am also impressed with the turnaround Hyundai has made. I don't think they are quite "there" yet, but they are now contenders. I'm curious to test drive the Santa Fe soon and see how it holds up to the RDX. I also admit I kind of want to test drive the Ford Edge. Something about that SUV catches my attention (I just don't know if the NEW Fords are better than the poor quality older Fords).
Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
icenoir....I can see why you decided to make the choice you did at the time. Although I am an Acura fan, I can appreciate what Hyundai/Kia are offering. I can't get over the features they offer in their vehicle and the price they charge for it. I never thought I would have came to the defense of Hyundai/Kia but after owning a little Accent (2012), for the money, that car is just incredible. It is amazingly fuel efficient, tight (no rattles), the 6 speed transmission is smooth, the car is quiet and the only flaw I would say is when the fuel tank is about down to 1/4 left, a strong cross wind makes the car go all over the road.

So I agree with you that the Sorento is a nice ride and for the price, its pretty hard to beat and the 2013 Santa Fe is going to be a great seller as well. Like you, I think Hyundai/Kia is at a point today where Toyota/Honda were several years ago. Time will tell how their long term reliability and resale value will be but I would not blame anyone for making the decision you made. I will likely keep driving Acura's for a while because I love the experience at the dealer, love the fact that they are very rare here where I live (unlike the Kia and Hyundai) and for me, I buy a car based on what I want rather than what is the best bang for my buck....My TL and RDX are my toys so I don't want to skimp out on them.

After seeing what my friend *Birdy*feet* did with her TL (traded for an Audi)....I'll be talking to her next year when my TL is getting close to be swapped to see if I am go that route as well.

I'll say yes to Honda but NO to Toyota.

Yes I get it they both sell on yesterday's name. They also have the luxury of now being cheaper than their US counterparts. (Camry Accord equally equipped to the Malibu, Lacrosse) Someone for an example has blown smoke up GM behind to make them think they can sell their cars at a higher price than the asian competition. I think NOT.

Back to Hyundai/kia: They're not having to take a back seat to anyone.
Acuras though high in tech has become very bland. the 2004-08 TL basically put them on the map. They still have not been able to follow up from that success.

Acura has and will suffer the same fate that GM has with its mid lux cars if they dont lower the price. Tech packages once left to the Mid lux, lux brands have made their way all the way down to all but the cheaper car models. Most brands top models now have many of the option that were found in more expensive car just 2-3 years ago.

The Honda touring accord is a perfect example of that. Why buy a TL when I can get those options in the Accord for 5-10k cheaper? Same goes for the Civic over the ILX.

The Santa fe will do just fine and will kill the RDX in sales once their fully up to speed. Remember the 2014 Sorento also gets refreshed. Both will have the same hardware under the hood. The Sorento skips the 2.0 turbo however.

2014 Sorento

Last edited by DeMAN; 02-15-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Cruisin'

Also the standard power liftgate is only available in the 7 seater, not the 5 seater.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
What seems "more attractive" for whatever reasons at first...the proof comes at the 3 yr and 5 yr. points of cost of ownership. Kelly Blue Book just came out with their study and projections for "value at the 5 yr point" and the '13 RDX was on top. That includes all cost factors of ownership.
This is ONE of the issues I look at when deciding what to buy. Reputation is another. There is no perfect vehicle. But, Honda Motor Corp. seems to be doing very well with so many of the issues on how a vehicle should be built.

I've now owned 12 Honda Motor Corp. vehicles going back to 1982. Yes, I'm older than most of you on here. I've also had 9 Mustangs, a few Toyotas, some Chevys, etc.
Honda Motor Corp. puts together some pretty nice vehicles. And have been doing it for much longer than Hyundai. Yes, Hyundai is getting better....but, have a ways to go to "build that value" into their product that Honda has been doing for over 30 yrs now.

Are Hondas/Acuras fallable?.....Of course. They could "trip/stumble" and mess things up.....but, I wouldn't bet on it. Quality and reliability will always be there I believe. Some "miscues" on body designs can and have happened. Like the famous "beak" on the MDX, etc. But, I don't see any major "screw ups" that would diminish the Honda/Acura brand in the future or maybe ever.

Again, there are no "perfect" vehicles made today..or will be made. Need to look at the "big picture" of what you are buying, how if fits your needs, etc. Of course there are always a few folks that have money to burn and even if a certain vehicle is known to be "trouble" they buy it 'cause they want it. Nothing wrong with that...again, if you have an endless supply of money.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
What seems "more attractive" for whatever reasons at first...the proof comes at the 3 yr and 5 yr. points of cost of ownership. Kelly Blue Book just came out with their study and projections for "value at the 5 yr point" and the '13 RDX was on top. That includes all cost factors of ownership.
This is ONE of the issues I look at when deciding what to buy. Reputation is another. There is no perfect vehicle. But, Honda Motor Corp. seems to be doing very well with so many of the issues on how a vehicle should be built.

I've now owned 12 Honda Motor Corp. vehicles going back to 1982. Yes, I'm older than most of you on here. I've also had 9 Mustangs, a few Toyotas, some Chevys, etc.
Honda Motor Corp. puts together some pretty nice vehicles. And have been doing it for much longer than Hyundai. Yes, Hyundai is getting better....but, have a ways to go to "build that value" into their product that Honda has been doing for over 30 yrs now.

Are Hondas/Acuras fallable?.....Of course. They could "trip/stumble" and mess things up.....but, I wouldn't bet on it. Quality and reliability will always be there I believe. Some "miscues" on body designs can and have happened. Like the famous "beak" on the MDX, etc. But, I don't see any major "screw ups" that would diminish the Honda/Acura brand in the future or maybe ever.

Again, there are no "perfect" vehicles made today..or will be made. Need to look at the "big picture" of what you are buying, how if fits your needs, etc. Of course there are always a few folks that have money to burn and even if a certain vehicle is known to be "trouble" they buy it 'cause they want it. Nothing wrong with that...again, if you have an endless supply of money.

I still own a TL 06 with ~150k miles on the odometer. Yes, it still rides well after I figured out how to quit screwing up my rear tires. (thanks to this forum)
Hyundai hasn't been here as long as honda but they are quick learners. Acura is place in a funny spot. Its a mid lux car. People dont like buying a used car with over 100k miles with lot of bells and whistles. Base-mid honda Accord however are just getting started at 150k as long as people keeps up with the maintenance. I love my TL but would rather have an accord with this mileage. It would command a higher resale value.

H/K provides a wide range of SUV's. The top models of both are selling as soon as it hits the ground. Some dealers in that case has started trying to price gouge folks. Both loaded versions including AWD still are just south of $40k. This is not something an RDX can say. In fact a loaded 4 nonturbo is priced right with a loaded CR-V offering more room and power.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaJack
Hyundai makes very nice vehicles, but the brand overall is considered a step or two below Acura. I personally like the feeling of driving a car that is in the luxury category but isn't a quite a "status" brand, if you know what I mean.

If you don't feel that way, and if the prices between the two are similar, then I'd buy whichever one gives you the most joy. But if the joy levels are similar, I'd go with the Acura because of resale value, reliability, and cachet.

Thats a blanket statement that doesn't fit all Hyundais and or Kia.
I would rate the Equus and Genesis over any RL and TL at this time. The one flaw that both have however is they don't currently comes with AWD. The second gen Genesis will be offered with AWD as an option due out later this year. Both currently offers a 429 hp V8 now and a 333 V6 that runs on regular gas (87 octane).
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DeMAN
Thats a blanket statement that doesn't fit all Hyundais and or Kia.
I would rate the Equus and Genesis over any RL and TL at this time. The one flaw that both have however is they don't currently comes with AWD. The second gen Genesis will be offered with AWD as an option due out later this year. Both currently offers a 429 hp V8 now and a 333 V6 that runs on regular gas (87 octane).
It's really very simple. Acura is entry luxury brand and Hyundai is not. It's a mainstream, non-luxury brand that includes a lot of bells and whistles to entice the people who like to play with their vehicles instead of driving them. Resale value is the key factor in how a vehicle is percieved in both quality and desirability. Acura is always at or near the top and Hyundai is not. Simple.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Take a Santa Fe 2.0T for an extended test drive. If excessive wind noise, choppy ride, vague steering feel, poor fuel economy and underwhelming performance are not an issue, you might like it.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Personally I'd never buy and H or K, their resale numbers are known to be amongst the worst in the industry and even though they are "better" than they used to be if you're a person who enjoys driving, versus just getting from A to B H or K will not suffice.

I've owned several VW's, two Audi's and two BMW's (two crappy Subaru's as well) and this is my first Acura. I'm really enjoying it and it is worth every penny. I'd not even consider H or K's.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Take a Santa Fe 2.0T for an extended test drive. If excessive wind noise, choppy ride, vague steering feel, poor fuel economy and underwhelming performance are not an issue, you might like it.
....I can agree with you on the choppy ride and vague steering. The constant correcting from left to right really gets tiring after a long drive. People may say that the EPS in the Acura are light, at least they are accurate don't have that vagueness....or least, if they have it, its much less than on a Hyunday from my own experience. I don't want to get flammed...I just stating MY experience with a Hyundai

Quick Reply: 2013 RDX vs 2013 Hyundai Santa FE sport