2013 RDX vs 2012 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2013 RDX vs 2012 MDX

I was just given a 2012 MDX as a loaner from the dealership while they replace the headliner in my 2013 RDX (does anyone else have wrinkles in their headliner? Apparently the backing board was broken and now the dealer had to order a second replacement because the first one did the same thing)

I'm surprised at how different the MDX feels from the RDX.

The RDX feels much more refined, with less noise and vibration.

The MDX feels so much bigger to drive, but the seating area doesn't feel any bigger.

The RDX has much better performance - quicker acceleration and better handling despite the SH-AWD on the MDX.

Fuel Mileage - averaging about 24 MPG in the RDX where the MDX is getting less than 16.

I'm thrilled with my choice of the RDX - hopefully Acura will put some of the lessons learned into the new MDX.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you comment on the rear seat legroom and cargo area of both models? Thanks!

I'm curious if Acura will make the next-gen MDX bigger than the current one.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
having looked a the MDX before choosing the RDX.... the MDX cargo room is very large and the rear leg room is about the same vs the RDX
Old 05-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TyroneBiggums
Can you comment on the rear seat legroom and cargo area of both models? Thanks!

I'm curious if Acura will make the next-gen MDX bigger than the current one.
I'd say the back seat is about the same - I'm 6' and can sit in the back with the front seat all the way back in the RDX. The cargo area is probably almost twice as big in the MDX (when the third row is folded down).
Old 05-08-2012, 08:16 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by bh9712
I was just given a 2012 MDX as a loaner from the dealership while they replace the headliner in my 2013 RDX (does anyone else have wrinkles in their headliner? Apparently the backing board was broken and now the dealer had to order a second replacement because the first one did the same thing)

The MDX feels so much bigger to drive, but the seating area doesn't feel any bigger.

The RDX has much better performance - quicker acceleration and better handling despite the SH-AWD on the MDX.

Fuel Mileage - averaging about 24 MPG in the RDX where the MDX is getting less than 16.

I'm thrilled with my choice of the RDX - hopefully Acura will put some of the lessons learned into the new MDX.
the MDX IS bigger (big ass, longer and taller with more cargo space and third row seating) and heavier (@4500lbs) than the RDX hence the lack of acceleration and less fuel efficiency in the MDX. the MDX also has a bigger engine (3.7L V6) than the RDX.

you pretty much stated the obvious between both cars. so in some ways it's a silly comparison since it's NOT apples to apples.

the MDX is a mid-size SUV....not a cute ute.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
the MDX IS bigger (big ass, longer and taller with more cargo space and third row seating) and heavier (@4500lbs) than the RDX hence the lack of acceleration and less fuel efficiency in the MDX. the MDX also has a bigger engine (3.7L V6) than the RDX.

you pretty much stated the obvious between both cars. so in some ways it's a silly comparison since it's NOT apples to apples.

the MDX is a mid-size SUV....not a cute ute.
I was really more focused on how much more refined the RDX is than the MDX. It feels much more luxurious. And if you park them side by side, the size difference is much smaller than it feel like when driving them.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
wait for the new MDX to come out....then i'm sure it'll be on par with the RDX and more refined than the current gen MDX which it should. every generation of car will become more refined as we hope that the manufacturer "fixes" or enhances a few items to compete with the other "luxury" brands. acura like infiniti seem to lean on the side of luxury and performance/tech rather than pure luxury like MB or lexus (and faux wood grain does NOT equate to more luxurious to me ).

does the 4G TL seem much more refined a bit more luxurious than my 3G? sure it does. it's called updated. however, in either case Acura still makes a great product that ages well. the 3G TL...is still a body style that people love, well car people at least, while the 4G TL...we'll see how she ages as time goes on. my brother (a car guy) sat in my TL and said, the interior of the TL (3G) actually hasn't aged in terms of design. he goes on to note that, the interior still looks modern. in comparison to newer cars on the market. overalll he was impressed. he doesn't ride in my car all that often. he owns an MDX and has owned infinitis and others.

i guess it comes down to subjective opinion (we are on a forum afterall) and what our own definition of refined and luxurious mean to us. the lay out of the interiors are generally very similar in all acuras.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wait OP, so you felt the new RDX is quieter than the MDX? I'm in the market to replace my 2010 GLK. I definately want something with more room as I had a 2002 MDX prior and i never though i would miss the space. I need to drive them back to back in the coming weeks. Quiet and smooth ride is most important to me so it'll be interesting to see which one i end up with.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phil17
wait OP, so you felt the new RDX is quieter than the MDX? I'm in the market to replace my 2010 GLK. I definately want something with more room as I had a 2002 MDX prior and i never though i would miss the space. I need to drive them back to back in the coming weeks. Quiet and smooth ride is most important to me so it'll be interesting to see which one i end up with.
Keep in mind the next-gen MDX should be out next year. So I'd stay away from the '12 MDX unless you are okay with having an old design.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TyroneBiggums
Keep in mind the next-gen MDX should be out next year. So I'd stay away from the '12 MDX unless you are okay with having an old design.
Thanks for the note. Probably don't need the size of the MDX other than once or twice a year. it's just in Canada, they have special lease rates on them which makes it a steal >_< RDX seems to be sized right though IMO.

Will see how things play out with my GLK. I promised myself 1 more time in the shop and i'm going back to Acura (currently own a 2011 TL as well). I need a car that doesn't have random issues with just 30,000kms on it. so glad i decided to lease the GLK, love the car. when it runs properly...lol
Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
MDX any day. altho the 2G RDX came a long way and obviously its a totally different and new car vs the 1G, i dont think you can compare it to the MDX at all, even while the MDX is an old design. The materials, plushness, style in and out, even the quality, all go to the MDX imo. the 2G RDX has the same instrument cluster as the ILX with almost identical dash work = low class.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:24 PM
big shot.

...thats not to say that the 2G RDX is not good, i just think a decent gap remains between it and the MDX still.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
...thats not to say that the 2G RDX is not good, i just think a decent gap remains between it and the MDX still.
That gap has significantly narrowed between the tech RDX and the Non-tech MDX.

That infotainment 'monitor' of the non tech MDX is worse than an entry level Hyundai. Welcome to 1990.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
...the 2G RDX has the same instrument cluster as the ILX with almost identical dash work = low class.
Have you seen the 2G RDX instrument cluster in person? I'm impressed how three dimensional the speedo/tach faceplates, numbers and needles are. Nicely done like a classy wrist watch.

I've never like the tri-nocular binnacle dash from Acura. Too Pontiac Bonneville for me.

I'm am a bit bummed that the ILX cluster is the same as the RDX. Just raiding the parts bin for cost cutting....
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

This is exactly why I traded in my 2008 MDX for the 2013 RDX!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks for the comparison!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:13 PM
big shot.

Juice - i still think the gap exists, even if that is based on the better materials used in the MDX, or the design , instrumentality or feel.

I guess the dash work is subjective to some extent, i find the instrument cluster to be a bit plain & narrow. Yes i have seen and driven it. The fact that its a shared cluster reminds me that im in a "budget" RDX and not an MDX or classier model, but also reminded that it came from a 26k econo box like u mentioned.