2013 RDX Tech vs nonTech

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 RDX Tech vs nonTech

Hi All,

I am contemplating to buy the RDX 2013 ..but the price difference b/w the tech &non tech is close to 4k. Can u please highlight some of the important items missing from the Non-Tech package.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
The differences are on the Acura website. They have a side-by-side comparison of the various trim levels of the RDX when you go to build one on the site. But, here's what they show the Tech package adding :

Acura Navigation System with Zagat Survey® ratings and reviews
AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ with Traffic Rerouting™
AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™
AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System with Automated Appointments
Acura/ELS Surround®32 410-watt Premium Audio System with 10 speakers, hard disk drive (HDD) media storage, in-dash CD, DVD-Audio, MP3, WMA6 and DTS®-featured player, Dolby®5 Pro Logic® II and AM/FM tuner
Note function for XM®
Voice Recognition system for navigation, audio and climate control
GPS-linked, solar-sensing temperature control
Rearview camera display in navigation screen
Steering wheel-mounted controls for Voice Recognition
Programmable feature customization
Power Tailgate
Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights
Fog lights
TPMS location and pressure display
Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't come up with the cash to get the tech package but even if I could I think I owuld have skipped it. My justification.

Acura Navigation System --This would be nice
AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ with Traffic Rerouting™- Traffic isn't a problem where I live
AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™ -This would be nice
AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System with Automated Appointments-No interest
Acura/ELS Surround®32 410-watt Premium Audio System with 10 speakers, hard disk drive (HDD) media storage, in-dash CD, DVD-Audio, MP3, WMA6 and DTS®-featured player, Dolby®5 Pro Logic® II and AM/FM tuner-This would be nice but the stock is more than enough. I thought I was the only person left that still had some DVD audio discs
Note function for XM®-No interest
Voice Recognition system for navigation, audio and climate control-This would be nice
GPS-linked, solar-sensing temperature control-Come on
Rearview camera display in navigation screen-Rearview camera with 3 screen view comes in the standard
Steering wheel-mounted controls for Voice Recognition-Wife had it in the last car. Never used it
Power Tailgate-This would be nice
Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights -This should be on the base. She had them on her $26K Rogue.
Fog lights-Will never use
TPMS location and pressure display -This already shows on the base model. I can see al 4 tires pressures.

If this package cost around $2K than I may have thought harder about it. By adding this package it puts the RDX into 40K and then other vehicles start coming into play. I think at $36K it's a decent value.

Last edited by buzzdsm; 04-04-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah i think the HID headlights ..will be one of the main features missing from the standard package..for me

BTW what price did u purchase it for ?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by psychostud
Yeah i think the HID headlights ..will be one of the main features missing from the standard package..for me

BTW what price did u purchase it for ?
I paid sticker but they gave me a little bit more for my trade in. Not a great deal but I didn't expect one. I ended up paying about $5K less than where the dealing started.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
there are very affordable HID upgrade kits that should work well in the stock projectors...

($100 or much less)...

Acura Navigation System with Zagat Survey® ratings and reviews - never used ZAGAT and my phone navigation is better and needs no updates
AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ with Traffic Rerouting™ - never used
AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™ never used...
AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System with Automated Appointments (never)
Acura/ELS Surround®32 410-watt Premium Audio System with 10 speakers, hard disk drive (HDD) media storage, in-dash CD, DVD-Audio, MP3, WMA6 and DTS®-featured player, Dolby®5 Pro Logic® II and AM/FM tuner - incredible and awesome.. I used daily
Note function for XM® huh?
Voice Recognition system for navigation, audio and climate control - never used...
GPS-linked, solar-sensing temperature control - actually quite annoying for the fan to go full blast when you turn towards the sun.. I hated that.Rearview camera display in navigation screen - used this but base has its own rearview cam.
Steering wheel-mounted controls for Voice Recognition - nope..never.
Programmable feature customization ???
Power Tailgate - nice for the ladies or the girly-men...
Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights - get yourself an upgrade kit for cheap...Fog lights
TPMS location and pressure display - loved this and wish my EX had it....but if base also has it.....
Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Advanced

the only things I would miss is
Fog lights

will have to go aftermarket for those...
Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzdsm
I paid sticker but they gave me a little bit more for my trade in. Not a great deal but I didn't expect one. I ended up paying about $5K less than where the dealing started.
I haven't seen a picture of the 5 inch base model screen (phonebook/pandora/ipod). I assume this is the same one as on the CRV?

Is it in the same cowl hood as the 8 inch Nav screen?
Old 04-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by juice13
I haven't seen a picture of the 5 inch base model screen (phonebook/pandora/ipod). I assume this is the same one as on the CRV?

Is it in the same cowl hood as the 8 inch Nav screen?
I believe so.. I found this pic... I wonder if there's a way to hack it to play dvds or output from tablet/phone

http://www.acura.com/Features.aspx?m..._color_display

Models without the navigation system are equipped with a 5-inch, full-color, center display screen that offers a variety of information.

Depending on the audio source, the display gives detailed audio information on the currently played song, which usually includes artist, song, and album info—and even displays the album art, if available.
The Bluetooth®11 HandsFreeLink® system uses the display to show contact listings or incoming caller information.
The easy-to-read display makes phone-related systems such as Pandora® Interface or SMS text message function simple to use.
When reverse is engaged, the screen displays the rear camera image.
The following users liked this post:
juice13 (04-05-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ikkoku
I believe so.. I found this pic... I wonder if there's a way to hack it to play dvds or output from tablet/phone

http://www.acura.com/Features.aspx?m..._color_display

Models without the navigation system are equipped with a 5-inch, full-color, center display screen that offers a variety of information.

Depending on the audio source, the display gives detailed audio information on the currently played song, which usually includes artist, song, and album info—and even displays the album art, if available.
The Bluetooth®11 HandsFreeLink® system uses the display to show contact listings or incoming caller information.
The easy-to-read display makes phone-related systems such as Pandora® Interface or SMS text message function simple to use.
When reverse is engaged, the screen displays the rear camera image.
Yes, that's what it looks like. On the down side, I took it out for a drive and had an iPod connected and it would work ok and then all of sudden it would say something like unrecognizable.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Advanced

the only things I would miss is
Fog lights

will have to go aftermarket for those...

looking at the acura site, fog lights is an accessory option for $360

so would just need aftermarket Xenon HIDs
Old 04-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Advanced

Yes, that's what it looks like. On the down side, I took it out for a drive and had an iPod connected and it would work ok and then all of sudden it would say something like unrecognizable.
just use bluetooth
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced

just use bluetooth
From my Ipod? How does that work?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Advanced

From my Ipod? How does that work?
which ipod do you have? some have bluetooth, some do not. If it does, just connect the two and you can use the aux to listen
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Canadian Acura website (acura.ca) says the standard package has HID and fog lights. Does anybody know if this is true? Anybody seen a 2013 model at a canadian dealership?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Advanced

Has anyone seen the Halogen headlights on the non-tech in person? The Acura has contradicting specfications for the base model under the build your own - features list:

Exterior Features
Power moonroof with tilt, auto-open/close, auto-reverse and key-off operation
Heated side mirrors with reverse gear tilt-down and integrated LED directional signals
18-inch cast aluminum-alloy wheels
Auto-on/off xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights
Body-colored tailgate spoiler
Rear privacy glass
Speed-sensing, variable intermittent windshield wipers
Headlights / wiper integration
Intermittent rear window wiper
Expanded View Driver's Mirror

But then the site describes what's in the tech package and it looks the same:

Exterior Features
Power moonroof with tilt, auto-open/close, auto-reverse and key-off operation
Heated side mirrors with reverse gear tilt-down and integrated LED directional signals
18-inch cast aluminum-alloy wheels
Auto-on/off xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights
Body-colored tailgate spoiler
Rear privacy glass
Speed-sensing, variable intermittent windshield wipers
Headlights / wiper integration
Intermittent rear window wiper
Expanded View Driver's Mirror
Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

I think I am going with an AWD Tech later this month.

Acura Navigation System -this is almost a must have for me. I have a Garmin in the other car just don't like it all that much.
AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic with Traffic Rerouting - This is big for me since the Garmin traffic is horrific.
AcuraLink Real-Time Weather -Don't care, iPhone is good for this.
AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System with Automated Appointments-My MDX didn't have this so don't know how useful.
Acura/ELS Surround®32 410-watt Premium Audio System with 10 speakers, hard disk drive (HDD) media storage, in-dash CD, DVD-Audio, MP3, WMA6 and DTS®-featured player, Dolby®5 Pro Logic® II and AM/FM tuner - Not a huge bonus for me. Just going to use my iPod and not the HDD.
Note function for XM®-Had to look up this feature... I might actually use this once in awhile.
Voice Recognition system for navigation, audio and climate control -Not huge but use it here and there.
GPS-linked, solar-sensing temperature control - No idea how this works or if it works well.
Rearview camera display in navigation screen - Standard?
Steering wheel-mounted controls for Voice Recognition - Use it once in awhile but not crucial.
Power Tailgate - Must have for the wife and baby that is on the way.
Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights - Must have, should be standard.
Fog lights - Nice to have.
TPMS location and pressure display - Standard?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Onac

Acura Navigation System -this is almost a must have for me. I have a Garmin in the other car just don't like it all that much.
AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic with Traffic Rerouting - This is big for me since the Garmin traffic is horrific.
AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System with Automated Appointments-My MDX didn't have this so don't know how useful.
Acura/ELS Surround®32 410-watt Premium Audio System with 10 speakers, hard disk drive (HDD) media storage, in-dash CD, DVD-Audio, MP3, WMA6 and DTS®-featured player, Dolby®5 Pro Logic® II and AM/FM tuner - Not a huge bonus for me. Just going to use my iPod and not the HDD.
Note function for XM®-Had to look up this feature... I might actually use this once in awhile.
Voice Recognition system for navigation, audio and climate control -Not huge but use it here and there.
GPS-linked, solar-sensing temperature control - No idea how this works or if it works well.
Steering wheel-mounted controls for Voice Recognition - Use it once in awhile but not crucial.
Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights - Must have, should be standard.
Seems the Camera does have the all the 3 modes in the non tech..but it is instead shown on the rear view mirror.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Seems the Camera does have the all the 3 modes in the non tech..but it is instead shown on the rear view mirror.
This is not correct
Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
To me the Tech Package is always worth it. It just makes the car. The Navi and especially the Stereo. BIG IMPROVEMENT over the base.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Reimroc
The Canadian Acura website (acura.ca) says the standard package has HID and fog lights. Does anybody know if this is true? Anybody seen a 2013 model at a canadian dealership?
That appears to be correct. The tech package in Canada adds the power liftgate, the ELS stereo, NAV and the GPS solar sensing dual climate zone.

Fog lights and HID are standard in Canada and we do not have the FWD, AWD ONLY.
The following users liked this post:
jim_c (04-19-2017)
Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
To me the Tech Package is always worth it. It just makes the car. The Navi and especially the Stereo. BIG IMPROVEMENT over the base.
I totally agree with you. Especially if the driver commutes to work, the tech packages Acura offers for their cars since the 04 TL are great. The ELS audio is very good. It's always voted #1 with luxury car brands. Honda Mo Co has always offered one of the best Navigation systems. While I do not have a USB hook-up in my car, I do just make WMA discs with the 255 track/ per disc and put them in the changer for a potential total of 1530 tracks. I purchased my 08 Accord EX-L/ Navi then 08 TL w/Tech Pkg because I benefit from all the voice options while my hands stay on the wheel and hand controls.

Originally Posted by Onac

My moms 08 MDX had Acuralink. It's a great service. What year was yours?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Advanced

This is not correct
The non tech has a "multi-view" rear view camera according to the e-brochure and the online configurator.

My interpretation is that the previous poster's statement is correct about the 3 way camera in the rear view mirror.

EDIT:
Although looking now it might be in the 5 inch screen and not the rear view mirror?

Last edited by juice13; 04-08-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: updates
Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Moved thread to the new 2nd gen RDX forum.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by juice13
The non tech has a "multi-view" rear view camera according to the e-brochure and the online configurator.

My interpretation is that the previous poster's statement is correct about the 3 way camera in the rear view mirror.

EDIT:
Although looking now it might be in the 5 inch screen and not the rear view mirror?
It is a 3 way camera and it is in the 5 inch screen not the mirror.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
when i was buying my 08 RDX base model, i told to my wife that i will not spend 4k more for tech package that i dont need, i can easily put a portable gps... etc but now to be honest i really regret of not getting the tech package, it is still cool to have those addidtion tech like extra speaker and a factory navigation... if you look at the thread here there are some members (including myself) who is trying to look for a custom gps or try to install factory gps to their base RDX...
Old 04-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Advanced

I don't know if this is the case with the RDX but one thing I hate about cars with GPS systems is that in a few years they always seem to look dated. I rode in a 5 year old BMW 5 series last year and from looking at the screen you'd think they had an Atari 2600 hooked up.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

.. you'd think they had an Atari 2600 hooked up.
OMG! The Atari 2600 is already out? I must upgrade my current gaming system
Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I don't know if this is the case with the RDX but one thing I hate about cars with GPS systems is that in a few years they always seem to look dated. I rode in a 5 year old BMW 5 series last year and from looking at the screen you'd think they had an Atari 2600 hooked up.
While driving around in my 3G TL, I agree with you on this, but then I think "in a few years" the whole car is going to be dated. I still love my car, but the GPS/nav isn't the only thing that's dated about it.

Also, I always thought cars dubbed "luxury" or "entry luxury" without a GPS just seemed out of place. I mean there are Accords and Camrys out there with GPS/nav, so how could Acuras and Lexuses not? To go one step further, it kind of ticks me off that you can option a Ford Edge out with more tech than you can an Acura RDX.

All this said, I get those who don't want to pay that much for a GPS when in many cases a Garmin makes more sense. It's a "damned if you do" for some and a "damned if you don't" for others.

Buy what you like; drive what you like.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
To go one step further, it kind of ticks me off that you can option a Ford Edge out with more tech than you can an Acura RDX.
I do agree with you there. It is harder for luxury brands to make themselves standout with new innovative technologies but when some cheaper brands offer things that Acura doesn't is a bit disturbing. I mean even the Kia Rio offers a heated steering wheel!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
OMG! The Atari 2600 is already out? I must upgrade my current gaming system
Atari 5200, baby! It's twice as good... wait til you see Missile Command on it!

I agree though, they need to do something like make the navigation systems more easily upgradeable, both hardware and software. These things age way too quick!