Notices

2013 RDX-TECH AWD - MaxLife ATF + S-VCM Controller

Old 09-23-2018, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just ordered the controller from eBay. Hopefully it gets to me sooner than later. Really excited to try this out

Any updates from anyone whos had this for a while?
Old 09-24-2018, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyytruong View Post
Just ordered the controller from eBay. Hopefully it gets to me sooner than later. Really excited to try this out

Not much to say except the S-VCM Controller installed in my wife's RDX still works as advertised.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I do get lesser MPG in the city but my Highway mpg is about the same at 70mph im getting around 27mpg from Atlanta to Auburn about 120 miles. I did 70-85 on my way back and it got down to 23 mpg
Old 09-26-2018, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by johnnyytruong View Post

Running mine since May 2018 on a 2014 RDX Tech without any issues. It took care of that nasty VCM vibration. Enjoy!
Old 09-27-2018, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ordered the s-vcm controller on sept 23, arrived on the 26th.
Installed it in 10 minutes. Hardest part was maneuvering my hand to remove the coolant sensor. installation was simple though. The package came with instructions and a picture of where the sensor is located. It arrived yesterday evening but I waited to install it today on a cold engine. Didnít want to deal with the CEL

After driving with the controller for half an hour, there were a few things Iíve noticed:
1) temp needles sits way below C on startup and sits a notch or two lower when warm
2) shifts are held longer, especially in the lower gears
3) the controller doesnít fully remedy the downshifts in S mode. It isnít as bad as before but still noticeable
4) downshifts in D are practically unnoticeable now. the jerk has been drastically reduced

Overall, happy with the purchase.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:24 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts
I am actually beginning to perceive in my nearly five years old RDX what I believe is the VCM activation. So you guys are talking about the vibration when going on flat roads with minimal throttle input. It disappears on pushing or lifting off the gas pedal, right?
It started doing it only in the last few weeks or so. I agree it is kind of disconcerting and gives an unrefined experience. I will monitor it for some more time and decide if I can live with it or I need to do something for it.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Update: I've been running S-VCM since May 2018 without any problems. All vibration is gone, fuel economy is about the same. Throttle response seems to have improved a bit. So far, it is worth every penny.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:53 PM
wsw
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been running the S-VCM since March 5, 2019 and have put a little over 1,000 miles on it. The RDX AWD Advance runs fine on it and I like running on six cylinders full time. However, the RDX has the random, intermittent "hesitation" upon acceleration from a stopped position. The S-VCM did not eliminate the "hesitation" situation by itself. So, today I had the Valvoline MaxLife ATF installed in the transmission at a drive-thru Valvoline Instant Oil Change store. Total cost was $159.99 including tax and the transmission held 18 pints of ATF. The transmission and lines were emptied and fluid replaced by a suction machine. The mileage on the RDX was 37,451 mi. at the fluid change.

I drove home for a distance of about 15 miles, through a mixture of city (stop and go traffic) and freeway traffic. So far there were no hesitations in acceleration from a stopped position and the transmission performed smoothly and very responsively. I will monitor it for the hesitations and report the results back here.

As a side note, the transmission fluid had been changed as part of CPO reconditioning by the dealer that I bought the car from about 2,000 miles ago. The dealer had used the ATF DW-1 fluid. In the interest of getting the "hesitation" solved now, I opted to dump the brand new DW-1 ATF fluid in favor of the Valvoline MaxLife ATF.
The following users liked this post:
jjrphs (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by wsw View Post
I've been running the S-VCM since March 5, 2019 and have put a little over 1,000 miles on it. The RDX AWD Advance runs fine on it and I like running on six cylinders full time. However, the RDX has the random, intermittent "hesitation" upon acceleration from a stopped position. The S-VCM did not eliminate the "hesitation" situation by itself. So, today I had the Valvoline MaxLife ATF installed in the transmission at a drive-thru Valvoline Instant Oil Change store. Total cost was $159.99 including tax and the transmission held 18 pints of ATF. The transmission and lines were emptied and fluid replaced by a suction machine. The mileage on the RDX was 37,451 mi. at the fluid change.

I drove home for a distance of about 15 miles, through a mixture of city (stop and go traffic) and freeway traffic. So far there were no hesitations in acceleration from a stopped position and the transmission performed smoothly and very responsively. I will monitor it for the hesitations and report the results back here.

As a side note, the transmission fluid had been changed as part of CPO reconditioning by the dealer that I bought the car from about 2,000 miles ago. The dealer had used the ATF DW-1 fluid. In the interest of getting the "hesitation" solved now, I opted to dump the brand new DW-1 ATF fluid in favor of the Valvoline MaxLife ATF.
I agree with everything in your post with one exception...please don't do not do another ATF service with a flush/exchange machine. DIY or have a trusted mechanic perform ATF drain and fills. Mechanics like the flush/exchangers because they're quick,easy and high profit...I've always been under the impression they're not good for Honda transmissions.

As an aside...I just picked up a cherry 2012 TL-BASE with 50k miles and I'll be performing my standard 3x drain/fill with MaxLife in the next couple days.

Thanks for the post and here's to good luck in your RDX driving and performing as it should.