2013 Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
accord runs on regular gas - but expect a demerit in peak performance. However, since this an an "Acura" model, im sure Acura will claim it needs premium - like all the rest of their cars.
Acura can claim anything they want, all I need to know is do you need premium to get all 273 horses. It does make a difference you know, it's like adding 1-2 mpg as far as the fuel bill is concerned.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
It looks like my wifes Venza !
BTW - she loves the looks.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EL_PIC
It looks like my wifes Venza !
BTW - she loves the looks.
Its funny that my wife said the same thing and like it better than the current one. Was the new RDX design for women??
Old 01-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Received 381 Likes on 233 Posts
forget about the RDX look at the Alpina B6
Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corduroygt
Oh I see, it's the base TL engine/transmission combo then. Which means they shouldn't price it more than that, which starts at 35K, so maybe the RDX goes right to 40K with the Tech package and nonSH-AWD?

The lack of SH-AWD, electric steering
Its actually more so the Accord engine. The TL doesn't have variable cylinder management like this engine. But the 6speed is from the MDX.

Where did you read/hear theres no electric steering?

I wonder if its getting the newer HD based high res navi thats in the MDX/TL.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I like the new interior look, but love the 07-09 exterior more now.

An in-person look should help.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Instructor

I think the Ford Escape is a better car than this.The RDX will be 4000+ lbs thanks to the V6 and being 5 inches longer (seriously wtf) vs 3750 lbs in the 2.0T AWD Escape, no SH-AWD anymore so they're even in that respect, and the escape actually has more features like automatic parking, a better infotainment system (if they can fix the bugs in the Sync system in a couple years which is when I'm looking to buy), torque vectoring (not real torque vectoring like SHAWD but a brake based system), etc. Due to lighter weight it could be more fun to drive, and it's not as feminine looking. It'll be 5-7k cheaper even fully loaded because it's a ford.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 PM
ForesterXT,RDX Tech Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the new look, just wondering about the AWD system and if it is just the same as the CRV. The V6 really intrigues me, as I am looking for something that will be able to tow a little more the a turbo 4. I might be in the market later this year to replace my 2008 Forester XT with something that can tow and keep the 2010 RDX.

Anyone know what the tow rating might be for the 2013?

Hummm

Last edited by Redevil; 01-09-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Smile Vids

Old 01-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Intermediate

Looks kinda like the RX350.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post AutomobileMag

Executives freely admit the first-generation Acura RDX exudes a “boy racer” personality — but that won’t necessarily be the case for long. The new 2013 RDX will still be a powerful small crossover, but the entire package feels far more mature than its predecessor ever did.

How so? Certainly, the softer styling certainly helps. The exterior still boasts some rather sharp and strong character lins, but surfaces are smoother and far less cluttered than before. In many ways, it almost looks like a smaller version of the midsize MDX crossover, albeit with a smoother front fascia.

Yet the RDX also matures mechanically. Gone is the hairy turbocharged 2.3-liter I-4; in its place is the 3.5-liter V-6 used elsewhere in Acura’s lineup, including the TSX and base-level TL models. With 273 hp on tap, it actually boasts 33 more horsepower, but thanks to a new 6-speed automatic, it may even be a bit more fuel efficient than previous RDX models. Additionally, the SH-AWD system — which helped improve turn-in and cornering by vectoring torque between the rear wheels — is no more, replaced by a less expensive conventional all-wheel-drive system shared with the Honda CR-V.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:09 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
that last rear profile picture makes it look a heck of a lot more like an MDX - which IMO is a great thing, but the over-killed rear glass spoiler is odd. the interior looks pretty entry level in terms of materials and the upper layer of the dash looks to be more plastic than soft vinyl. The black contrast of the vents isn't good. Up front storage seems drastically reduced (doors & door bins gone in favor of space for a water bottle)

Still remains as a need to see in person
Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Redevil
Anyone know what the tow rating might be for the 2013?

Hummm
I'm just taking a SWAG at:
2WD 1500lbs
4WD 1500-2500lbs (depending on the awd system)

I don't think a FWD vehicle (or AWD w/ front bias) can tow a lot. Then you have to factor in cabin weight and possible roof rack storage for 4 people. Acura had to change the sh-awd in the MDX to offer more TQ to rear wheels for the 5000lbs tow capacity when needed compared to the RL, TL, RDX or ZDX sh-awd. The ZDX can only tow 1500lbs.

You might have to go with the 4WD RDX for a higher rating IF the updated CR-V AWD system is comparable to the MDX "sh-awd" without the "sh".
Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 AM
big shot.

final comment

the RDX is....

BORING. got its legs chopped off (balls too). Its best attributes are history. SHAWD, steering (which is now electric - not a fan of Acura's electric steering at all - sucks in their other cars), and power plant. bye bye - the RDX has been Honda-mom-erized. Doesn't seem compelling in any area. It will probably still be quick to 60mph due to the V6, but so is a RAV4. Straightline is straight line, but good by slinging the RDX around like an Evo.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:44 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh my... that is FUGGGGLY. The hood is horrible. The back is bulky. CX-7 ugly.

An enormous step backwards.

I just threw up...
Old 01-10-2012, 09:58 AM
XIS
Lizard King

I mean heck - look at the new Volvo..
2.0 turbo hybrid with 2 electric motors totaling 350 HP with 50MPG!

Hello??? Acura, wake the fuck up!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 AM
9th Gear

Even though the exterior isn't as edgy as before I actually like the exterior a lil better that the old one. The exterior of the old one was nice but didn't really do anything for me especially the update Acura gave it in 2010. The grille for the 2010-2012 looked like it was forced onto the front of it and the wheel design of the 2010-2012 model looked more Honda like than Acura like. The interior of the 2013 is nice but could have been executed a lot better. The gray plastic trim on the dash needs to go. Dang Acura, you can't at least put some shiny Aluminum trim in the interior? SMH. The turbo in the old one was cool but I'll take a decent V6 over a turbo 4 anyday. Even though the design isn't groundbreaking it will at least give it's competitors like the Infiniti EX35, Volvo XC60, and BMW X3 some good competition. Hopefully the technology and quality is great. I do hope when it does hit the streets for sale the wheel designs look better though because the concepts design looks like it came from Kia. Overall Acura got a thumbs up from me on the 2013 RDX. Now hurry up and unveil the new RL!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
the RDX is....

BORING. got its legs chopped off (balls too). Its best attributes are history. SHAWD, steering (which is now electric - not a fan of Acura's electric steering at all - sucks in their other cars), and power plant. bye bye - the RDX has been Honda-mom-erized. Doesn't seem compelling in any area. It will probably still be quick to 60mph due to the V6, but so is a RAV4. Straightline is straight line, but good by slinging the RDX around like an Evo.
My sentiments exactly, but watch the sales double at the very least...For me, there is no compelling reason to get this over its competitors such as the Q5, unless it's the price just like it was last time. I liked having a boy racer in SUV clothing just like many people here. This car is pretty much an Acura Venza.

However, the Q3 is coming next year, so there's hope. I'm also curious about the Ford Escape and how it'll drive, as it's a pretty lightweight car. It's also rated for 3500 lbs towing with the 2 liter turbo engine.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:41 AM
big shot.

my guess is that Acura "values" aside, we will have to look elsewhere for the performance side of the equation, and for whatever reason, the RDX is stunted by TSX/entry level appointments, there is nothing that speaks of true luxury yet. Id imagine the ride quality and quietness will be vastly improved - but still nothing like panoramic roof, vented seats, no word on rear HVAC, rear heated seats, power outlets, traveling wifi connect, no variable drivetrain/suspension settings etc. Acura left that all outside the scope: the 1st gen failed, miserably, to attract its primary target audience, basically - those of us on this board, and built this car for what turned out to be the real takers. can't blame them, but even still - Acura is perpetual in denying OPTIONAL equipment to take great solid models and value and allow buyers to opt them into a better performing machine like better brakes, engine options, suspension etc. heres the model, now TAKE IT!

I'm really lost at Acuras new mission statement of this valuable sensible but LUXURIOUS commitment; theres more luxury to be had in even lower tier brands, even American builds. I was really expecting luxury both outside AND inside. Somehow they believe Pandora radio and SMS text messaging equates to some ultra luxurious amenities - anyone with a smartphone and an aux cable/input has limitless access to internet music, doesn't matter what car you are driving.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by XIS
Oh my... that is FUGGGGLY. The hood is horrible. The back is bulky. CX-7 ugly.

An enormous step backwards.

I just threw up...
+1 My thoughts also.

Originally Posted by XIS
I mean heck - look at the new Volvo..
2.0 turbo hybrid with 2 electric motors totaling 350 HP with 50MPG!

Hello??? Acura, wake the fuck up!
My sentiments exactly, but watch the sales double at the very least...For me, there is no compelling reason to get this over its competitors such as the Q5, unless it's the price just like it was last time. I liked having a boy racer in SUV clothing just like many people here. This car is pretty much an Acura Venza.

However, the Q3 is coming next year, so there's hope. I'm also curious about the Ford Escape and how it'll drive, as it's a pretty lightweight car. It's also rated for 3500 lbs towing with the 2 liter turbo engine.
I can see these selling like hotcakes in our homogenized small CUV market. Lots of foam and plastic on that nose and a Jeep interior.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
I can see these selling like hotcakes in our homogenized small CUV market. Lots of foam and plastic on that nose and a Jeep interior.
Huh? A highly optioned JGC actually has much better materials in its interior than the RDX. It's got a soft dash and real wood trim...
Old 01-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Well, we all knew it would happen.

Soccer mom-ified 2013 RDX.

First off, they obviously went the direction style wise of the class sales leaders, the Lexus RX and Venza.

This is not a "sportier" look as was mentioned, but a soft easily swallowed approach. No one will look at this new RDX and say that it is too polarizing.

The interior took a huge step back IMHO, but that also fits with the theme change. The first gen RDX with its gauge pods, boost gauge, lighting colors, strong and sharp center stack, now a baby MDX, with boring gauges, seat heater switches behind the shifter, everything is just globbed in there.

My wife and I are glad we bought a 2012, the last of the RDX the way it was, we would sure not be in the target market for the 2013.

The 2.3L to me is a fantastic powerplant, but for enthusiasts. The thought of a high strung turbo K series Honda motor is excellent and I was not dissapointed. Now the Accord V6? The 5-speed trans is older, but bulletproof, the whole RDX is a proven package all these years.

Acura is catering to the masses, which is understandable. When someone drove the outgoing RDX who thinks of vehicles as A to B transportation, they will say things like "Power is too peaky, ride is too stiff"

When I drove one for the first time (I have owned several turbocharged rides) I loved it. You can kick the ass end out with power oversteer. Cornering should not be this good in a CUV.

Oh well, all good things must come to an end.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
huh? A highly optioned jgc actually has much better materials in its interior than the rdx. It's got a soft dash and real wood trim...
Originally Posted by mr marco
+1 my thoughts also.

I can see these selling like hotcakes in our homogenized small cuv market. Lots of foam and plastic on that nose and an interior styled like Cher.

fixed, but you knew what I was talking about and just wanted to give me shit, Cher lover.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:34 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
yuck
Old 01-10-2012, 04:23 PM
big shot.

V6 is from the Base TL & V6 TSX.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I like both the exterior and interior. The steering wheel is like my TL and in my opinion the old RDX steering wheel is cheap and does not feel nice. Love the push button start and clean interior. Taking away the dual exhaust is a mistake. I love the look of the Venza and this is why I like the look of this car. Don't get me wrong, I like my 11 RDX, but I think the v6 will refine the way this car drives, with smoother power. I always had a problem that my TL got better gas mileage. I will consider this vehicle, when my TL is done.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigHatch
yuck
Yep, I think the folks on this board will be turned off by the new RDX simply because it is no longer a unique vehicle. We all bought RDX's for certain reasons, and those certain reasons do not apply to the neutered 2013 model.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jcl78
Yep, I think the folks on this board will be turned off by the new RDX simply because it is no longer a unique vehicle. We all bought RDX's for certain reasons, and those certain reasons do not apply to the neutered 2013 model.
Exactly! I fell in love with the RDX when I had a 2007 as a loaner while my 2003 CL was in for service. I just loved the sportiness and feel of it. I loved the way the SH-AWD would "push" this small SUV into corners under load. I loved the turbo "pop" of power. I loved it's styling and techie look. A month later I bought a brand new 2008 RDX back in June 2008.

Like many of you, I'll need to see the 2013 in real life to make a solid judgement but so far I'm loving my 2008 RDX more and more now.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
The V6 is my biggest gripe, 20/28 mpg with fwd, what about awd, what's the mpg with awd?
Longer hood to fit the V6 looks bad, they should have hit the 300hp mark with the V6 to make it attractive.
What they should have done is put a 4 banger hybrid system with a 6 speed dual clutch trans, to get great performance and great mpg, bodywise, the should have kept it the size it is now and sculpt it to make it look like a small mdx,.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 PM
big shot.

interior & engine

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...o-gallery.html
Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Instructor

A big reason we bought the RDX was Acura "values" as Mike said. So will the selling point of the new RDX will be "it's a RX350 for thousands less?" and it's just as reliable?

You know, despite the boring styling, I could see myself going for it, if it had the SH-AWD system. Why can't they sell the FWD for the soccer moms, and let us have just a bit of fun and make the AWD system as good as ours? If you want to save gas, get the FWD version, seriously. Give enthusiasts something Acura, you want to be seen as budget BMW, not budget Lexus, since Toyota does a nice job of filling that position!

Last edited by corduroygt; 01-10-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
There might not be any Torque steer problems if the AWD always engages when you are taking off from a full stop, it could slowly taper off when you are steady state crusing.
The main thing would be the loss of left / right vectoring.
Acura can keep it sporty-ish with suspension tuning, stabilizer bars, and bucket seats.
Acura tech beats lexus tech hands down. Also lexus seats are flat and wide.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:11 AM
big shot.

acura needs to look up the meaning of OPTIONS. But, they are a cost-to-value centered brand. As long as the bottom line is what counts, there will never be a smaller vehicle with a large sticker. never. In other words, you will never be able to buy an RDX (because you dont want the size of the MDX) and be able to buy it with Acura's top notch gear. I perpetually hate that.

If Acura released the 2013 RDX with optional SHAWD, optional dynamic handling (like comfort/sport/econ), and any other option/equipment offered in say, the MDX, it would be so much more respectable. Instead, you must brand shop instead of option shop. Acura leaves people at the dealer door versus allowing you to get what you want. Acura tells you what you want. This is most evident in their 2013 RDX campaign. Acura, who are you to tell me that what i want may be excess? lol Its almost the same as saying, you dont like this RDX? go buy another model. Not a good business model.

Altho ironically, almost EVERYONE on this board has at some point complained about the lack of a V6. Somehow, V6's have become badddd today lol. The RDX did remedy the MAIN complaints of many - maybe not the pure enthusiasts - but 6 speed + V6 (2ndary benefit of fuel econ), ride quality pretty much checked the top 3 complaints of the 1st gen. Hard to argue that.

It is also additionally hilarious that THE ACCORD will receive 3 engine options, including a direct-injected engine. wtf is going on hereeee
Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 AM
big shot.

also forgot, THE ACCORD is receiving this equipment, too: Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Forward Collision Warning and the Honda-exclusive LaneWatch blind spot display

....HONDA
Old 01-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to continue to enjoy my '07 rdx but removing sh-awd and turbo is wrong. Those were positive selling points to me when I was shopping for a new vehicle.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone know for sure whether or not this "re-designed" 3.5 V6 is getting direct injection. Since they are putting it in the 4-cylinder honda accord I would assume Acura wouldn't be behind Honda technology offered in their engines. Also it's unclear what actual changes were made to this engine. I can't imagine it's the exact same version in the V6 TSX and base TL, but I could be wrong.

We own a 2010 TSX that we are happy with but if the RDX pricing remains similar to the current model and can offer 27-28 mpg highway in the AWD version I might be interested in trading for a 2014 model. Will also have to see how much of a difference there is from the current SH-AWD and new AWD system.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
For me, there is no compelling reason to get this over its competitors....I liked having a boy racer in SUV clothing just like many people here.
Me and Turbo-Mama have no interest in this 2nd gen RDX. We'll keep the boy-racer, thank you.

However, the Q3 is coming next year, so there's hope.
They call it the "Q3 Vail", to evoke a sporty, active lifestyle. The 2.5L turbo-5 does 0-60 under 6 seconds. I suppose "Q3 Steamboat" just didn't have the right ring

Last edited by XLR8R; 01-11-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HokieAcura
. I can't imagine it's the exact same version in the V6 TSX and base TL, but I could be wrong.
It's the typical Honda J35 engine with VCM as in the Accord V6. Maybe they put water-like oil in it to reduce friction and get 0.5 more mpg.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't believe they gave the RDX a V6 with VCM...........

When we asked for a V6, i'm pretty sure NO ONE asked for the VCM version.

thanks acura, at least we know exactly who you're aiming for with this new rdx, female lexus RX buyers.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:11 PM
XIS
Lizard King

my wife would never trade her RX for this....

Quick Reply: 2013 Pics