B123 & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
B123 & Tires

2014 RDX AWD with 110K miles

I got the B123. Dealer wants $400+ just for replacing transmission fluid and transfer case fluid. Sounds excessive. I have no tools do it myself even I knew how to do it. What is reasonable to pay? Would a Honda dealer be able to do this for me and cheaper?

I also need new tires soon. Live in wintry weather but not terrible. I have the Nokian WRG3 SUV tires now with almost 55K miles on them. I used them all year. Loud on highways. Winter traction OK. Should I consider All-Season tires like the OEM Michelin Primacy or Michelin Latitude Tour HP? Any other brands? I had Hankooks on my VW in the past and they were loud too. I do a lot of Highway driving and need something quieter.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:02 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wallmike

I also need new tires soon. Live in wintry weather but not terrible. I have the Nokian WRG3 SUV tires now with almost 55K miles on them. I used them all year. Loud on highways. Winter traction OK. Should I consider All-Season tires like the OEM Michelin Primacy or Michelin Latitude Tour HP? Any other brands? I had Hankooks on my VW in the past and they were loud too. I do a lot of Highway driving and need something quieter.

Thanks.
Think of tires like shoes. There are all types of shoes made for different occasions. While you can wear runners in the winter, it won't be optimal or ideal. Keep the runners for warm and dry weather and bring out the boots for when it's cold and wet. Makes sense?
Old 08-17-2017, 07:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts

I got the B123. Dealer wants $400+ just for replacing transmission fluid and transfer case fluid. Sounds excessive. I have no tools do it myself even I knew how to do it. What is reasonable to pay? Would a Honda dealer be able to do this for me and cheaper?

Thanks.
Find an independent shop to do the fluids. The transmission is just removing 3.5 quarts by draining and replacing the same amount. If you don't want to do it yourself, someone can do it cheaper. (but honestly if you keep your cars for a long time, check out the numerous threads on this site and they will walk you through the process....invest in a very few tools and you can save lot of $ over the life of your car....plus you can keep it out of dealerships hands)
Old 08-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Check with your local Honda dealer and/or find an indie who specializes in Japanese cars. Prices vary widely depending on location so it is pretty tough to get an accurate answer on the forum.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:51 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a new set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires installed on my 15 RDX. An all season design which gives a very smooth and quiet highway ride.

Last edited by 03TLS4me; 08-17-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:05 PM
TX-RDX Owner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm always amazed at how varied dealer costs are. My B123 service on my '13 FWD tech was less than $300 with tax. You're getting up in BMW/Merc territory paying more than $4-500. I guess living in the south has its perks.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:07 PM
Instructor

I chose the Toyo Celsius CUV tires to replace the worn out Nokian WRG3 SUV. They were fairly inexpensive at $148 each. And had great reviews as a variable condition tire.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I chose the Toyo Celsius CUV tires to replace the worn out Nokian WRG3 SUV. They were fairly inexpensive at $148 each. And had great reviews as a variable condition tire.
Did you get the other services done? Where are you located? Other Azine members may be able to make recommendations.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Yes. I did. I am located in Denver Metro. Went to Mile High Acura. Paid about $300 for the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid replacement.
I will never go back there. Poor customer service.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
You should try your local Honda dealer as they are typically cheaper than Acura for the same services. Other than that other Azine members in your Denver metro area may be able to suggest local indie shops.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:38 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of good reviews for the Michelin Premier LTX and the Pirelli Scorp Verda Plus.. Both tires are rated well in snow and on ice.

I run dedicated winter and summer tires (AS) but that is because I am in Alberta where it snows for 6 months of the year. If you are in a far north climate, it definitely is worth the money for a dedicated winter tire.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:29 AM
Instructor

I looked at both Michelin Premier LTX and the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus. The reviews on the Michelin where poor with regard to tread life. I was not inclined to pay $200+ per tire to get 25K miles out of it. There were problems with tread separation as reviewed by many people on the Pirelli. No, thanks. YMMV.

I would have gone back to the Nokian WRG3 SUV which was excellent in snow and Ice but I wanted to try the Toyo. Both are considered All Weather tires. I already have 1000 miles on the Toyo. It is quiet but too early to reach any conclusions. I will know more after the winter.