2013 Acura RDX Spy Shots on TOV!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
i also would buy the G over the EX. ex is not even a suv in my opinion. but what the FUCK is up with the x1 sales? LOL i think a toyota matrix looks better and has more space rofl. i saw an x1 on the road and it looks fugly from the rear.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:30 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Id go G sedan in any scenario. Besides the interior, the EX is an awkward vehicle.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:19 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
to each his (or HHer) own. I have driven the G37 and although it just screams and purrs at the same time, I looked forward to getting the EX back (which also screams and purrs) - awkward? I think it looks better than the G sedan too. Much.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back on topic.

I predict new RDX will have a close resemblance to ZDX, since it's the latest new model from Acura, I do hope I am wrong.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by theART
Back on topic.

I predict new RDX will have a close resemblance to ZDX, since it's the latest new model from Acura, I do hope I am wrong.
Honda CR-V sales are about 16,000-18,000 units per month and a little under 200,000 units per year. I think Honda/Acura may follow Ford/Mercury/Lincoln and Chevy/GMC/Buick/Caddy. Honda/Acura will offer a slightly more sporty and luxurious version of the CR-V to get some of the 200,000 buyers to jump ship to purchase more of the RDX's 12,000 units sold yearly.

I'm leaning toward Acura front/rear treatments, a few more HP under the hood from the I4 2.5L, Acura interior/tech, sporty suspension; but, a Honda CR-V at heart for a few more $$. Acura may be turning into a higher Honda trim level instead of its unique luxury brand.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:06 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Acura may be turning into a higher Honda trim level instead of its unique luxury brand.
what do you mean MAY? lol
Old 11-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Breaking news! I have a good friend that has worked for Acura from day one. He just told me the 2013 RDX will have a 3.5L V6 280HP and 6-speed auto. The engine is most likely the same as the current FWD TL. He also said it looks similar to the current MDX but a smaller package.

The 2013 RDX is expected to be at the NYC 2012 car show and in showrooms June/July 2012.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:50 PM
El Chulo...

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Food for thought, you do the dishes...

I can't wait for the next generation RDX to come out! I just recently traded in my 07' RDXturbo for a 11' ZDseX. Even though the ZDX does everything and then some of what I wanted the RDX to do better, I still miss my turbo 4 banger. Now with all that said Infiniti makes very nice Cars/CUV's the FX, and all G's are very nice vehicles IMHO, but seriously the EX has to be the Ugliest one by far in the whole family. The first time I saw the EX at the NY auto show I knew right away that my RDX was still the best small SUV in the market (then I got in the back seat and it was concrete).
Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Unfortunately the turbo is confirmed history for the RDX. I admit, the 2.3L I-4 turbo is an amazing engine!! I hope the V6 version of the RDX at least matches (and hopefully exceeds) the power feel of the turbo.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
Breaking news! I have a good friend that has worked for Acura from day one. He just told me the 2013 RDX will have a 3.5L V6 280HP and 6-speed auto. The engine is most likely the same as the current FWD TL. He also said it looks similar to the current MDX but a smaller package.

The 2013 RDX is expected to be at the NYC 2012 car show and in showrooms June/July 2012.
I thought Acura was going to downsize the MDX 3.7L to 3.5L on the next Gen? Don't get me wrong, I would love the 3.5L or even the old 3.2L in the RDX. The TOV spy photo of the next gen RDX looked smaller than the current gen RDX with the 2.3T.

Will Acura put a $5,000 price hike on the 3.5L RDX like they did with v-6 TSX? Man it sucks not knowing!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

hah if this is true, then i was right:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812566

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I thought Acura was going to downsize the MDX 3.7L to 3.5L on the next Gen? Don't get me wrong, I would love the 3.5L or even the old 3.2L in the RDX. The TOV spy photo of the next gen RDX looked smaller than the current gen RDX with the 2.3T.

Will Acura put a $5,000 price hike on the 3.5L RDX like they did with v-6 TSX? Man it sucks not knowing!
3.5L RDX will be slower or same acceleration at best. a reflashed RDX gets flat 6s to 60mph, i have proof for that. a TSX v6 which is 500lbs lighter gets to 60mph in 6.4s! The J35 will also make the RDX nose heavy and it will render the steering numb and demolish handling. Most TSX owners were asking for the turbo and now acura slapped the v6 on the rdx too ROFL. it might improve highway mileage but it will get crappy MDX-like city mileage as well.

the funny part of this is that all other manufacturers are switching or already have switched to turbo I4 (ie BMW 328i, bmw x1, audi q5, sonata, c250, '13 santafe, etc).

Last edited by pickler; 11-29-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:28 PM
big shot.

given the NEW engine news...what was thought to be a real downsize could be a real upgrade in everything else - power & MPG. if they put the new 3.5L w/elec assist and or direct injection, honda is working in uncharted territory for its sedans and suvs...uncharted as in BIG OUTPUT!!!! finally

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-f...es/#more-70602
Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 PM
big shot.

Unfortunately the turbo is confirmed history for the RDX. I admit, the 2.3L I-4 turbo is an amazing engine!! I hope the V6 version of the RDX at least matches (and hopefully exceeds) the power feel of the turbo.
wish theyd keep it as a base model...turbo + a much needed 6 speed would be a great performance value
Old 11-30-2011, 01:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if BMW can make 245HP from a 2.0L Turbo, Acuras 2.5Turbo should yield at least 300HP. Looks like someone is behind in technology.

What's the real life mileage of that TL 3.5? Although it's FWD it should give some good idea because it's same weight as RDX. I don't mind V6 as long as it better mileage. As for mini MDX I like that idea, MDX looks great.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 AM
big shot.

in our 2012 FWD TL...getting mid 20's. The car is excellent on gas. Mid 20's in primarily 90% CITY driving, too. The new 6 speed & that engine work, quite an improvement over the 5 speed. When we hop on the highway, MPG will quickly climb towards 30.

As long as the new RDX can stay near the 20 range, anything else would be a plus for me. If it keeps the same performance attributes (0-60 under 7 seconds) and big power...that would keep many people happy. Hondas hybrid tech looks real promising giving big power (300+ on gas, PLUS an extra 20-30 HP off electric assits - which from my understanding, will propel the vehicle form the REAR) thats going to feel like one hell of a ride w/SHAWD. If Honda does this with direct injection or just the hybrid system alone with cylinder de-activation...could be looking at real impressive things for hopefully, the currently feels like beaten step child RDX.

Last edited by MMike1981; 11-30-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 AM
big shot.

ive been wishing for a smaller MDX since the RDX came out...if Acura pulls it off, they could have something serious, the MDX is one of the best SUVs on the road.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

search the tsx forums, most V6 users are scoring 22mpg combined on average. the rdx will be over 500lbs heavier, so i suspect the MPG will not improve. whoever thinks a bigger v6 is better for mpg is kidding themselves. otherwise audi and BMW would not have downsized engine size and utilized forced induction ie bmw x1. Add to that a crappy 6AT which does Not outperform a camry 6at in anyway and you will see no improvements in acceleration. A V6 4WD RAV4 LE may actually be better in everyway.

Last edited by pickler; 11-30-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by pickler
search the tsx forums, most V6 users are scoring 22mpg combined on average. the rdx will be over 500lbs heavier, so i suspect the MPG will not improve. whoever thinks a bigger v6 is better for mpg is kidding themselves. otherwise audi and BMW would not have downsized engine size and utilized forced induction ie bmw x1. Add to that a crappy 6AT which does Not outperform a camry 6at in anyway and you will see no improvements in acceleration. A V6 4WD RAV4 LE may actually be better in everyway.
I was told the 2013 RDX is expected to have a 20-21 mpg city EPA rating.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

I was told the 2013 RDX is expected to have a 20-21 mpg city EPA rating.
ok? but how's that any better than the rav4? or rather different?

^ 2012 rav4 25mpg city. Also Toyota will soon be using BMW diesel 1.6 and 2L engines for their smaller vehicles, and is about to introduce an all electric CUV. Acura is way behind in the MPG run, a v6 is not a good idea to improve efficiency. And i seriously doubt v6 rdx will get 21 city, even a tsx can't do that.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I doubt the next RDX is going to use the 3.5L V6. More like the CR-V engine tuned to 220 hp or so + 2 electric motors in the rear giving 60 hp total. It'll feel just as fast as our current RDX due to instant torque from electric motors.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by corduroygt
I doubt the next RDX is going to use the 3.5L V6. More like the CR-V engine tuned to 220 hp or so + 2 electric motors in the rear giving 60 hp total. It'll feel just as fast as our current RDX due to instant torque from electric motors.
hell whatever it will be it does not sound too good to me. i'm sorry but i think honda has completely lost it.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:43 AM
big shot.

5. A high-efficiency, high output electric SH-AWD hybrid system which combines superior driving and environmental performance.
・A new hybrid system, electric SH-AWD, was developed for large-sized vehicles. By combining a 3.5L, V6 engine with this hybrid system, acceleration equivalent to V8 engines, as well as fuel efficiency equal or superior to in-line 4-cylinder engines were realized.
・An electric 4WD system with independent 20kW+ motors on both sides for the rear wheels combines a 7-speed dual clutch transmission system with a built-in 30kW+ high-efficiency motor with the engine.
・By mounting a high-performance lithium-ion battery and optimally controlling the front and rear motors, a new hybrid system with high fuel efficiency and output was realized.
・By mounting two independent motors in the rear and employing a newly developed bilateral torque adjustable control system, incredibly tight “on-the-rail” cornering is realized, providing a stable ride for all daily driving environments.

Not sure how you classify that as a LOSS. Unless, im lost? What are you trying to say, that Acura should have revised the turbo and grabbed more MPG from it? Sounds to me like they are going to generate more power than any Turbo could, especially without strain, retain smoothness of a V6, add direct injection, some of that power will be rear-driven, all the while operating on a hybrid basis (so, at least Honda initially claims MPGs at the 30+ area) what am i missing and why a case for disappointment? The downside that could be initially seen from any of this is weight, but who is to say how much or what any impact would be at this point. I think Honda has just made STRIDES, far from losing anything.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MMike1981
5. A high-efficiency, high output electric SH-AWD hybrid system which combines superior driving and environmental performance.
・A new hybrid system, electric SH-AWD, was developed for large-sized vehicles. By combining a 3.5L, V6 engine with this hybrid system, acceleration equivalent to V8 engines, as well as fuel efficiency equal or superior to in-line 4-cylinder engines were realized.
・An electric 4WD system with independent 20kW+ motors on both sides for the rear wheels combines a 7-speed dual clutch transmission system with a built-in 30kW+ high-efficiency motor with the engine.
・By mounting a high-performance lithium-ion battery and optimally controlling the front and rear motors, a new hybrid system with high fuel efficiency and output was realized.
・By mounting two independent motors in the rear and employing a newly developed bilateral torque adjustable control system, incredibly tight “on-the-rail” cornering is realized, providing a stable ride for all daily driving environments.

Not sure how you classify that as a LOSS. Unless, im lost? What are you trying to say, that Acura should have revised the turbo and grabbed more MPG from it? Sounds to me like they are going to generate more power than any Turbo could, especially without strain, retain smoothness of a V6, add direct injection, some of that power will be rear-driven, all the while operating on a hybrid basis (so, at least Honda initially claims MPGs at the 30+ area) what am i missing and why a case for disappointment? The downside that could be initially seen from any of this is weight, but who is to say how much or what any impact would be at this point. I think Honda has just made STRIDES, far from losing anything.
i'm not sure wether you are talking to me or not because i am NOT for displacement, meaning i think the way to go is forced induction. if turbos were such a bad thing BMW, benz and audi wouldn't have kept using them on the 335i, 335is, new 328i, Q5, A4, C250. Look at audi, they totally god rid of the horrible plastic 3.2L v6 engine. A V6 in the RDX along with electric motors will drive up maintenance costs and price tags. something that is bad for acura and will send customers elsewhere, such as the audi and bmw dealers on the other side of the road. No average consumer really cares about the electric motors in the awd system. Most will opt out for the cheaper FWD model.

anyway, RDX sales are on the rebound and it's the only acura that did not lose sales in november:
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/01/409...mber-2011.html

any change like that of we have seen on the other honda cars will definately make this car a loser. There is no question the future styling will be unimpressive, it's a mix of zdx and new crv. You like honda's new styling? well most people don't; Even the civic is about to lose its best selling title in canada after 11 years. Sometimes leaving a good thing alone is a good thing, such as the 04-08 TL or a red coca cola can. not saying Acura should leave the RDX alone but people who buy these cars are less likely to try their new cars. They look for history of reliability which the RDX is producing as we speak.

btw if interested a new review of the RDX from wheels.ca a canadian automotive website:
http://www.wheels.ca/article/801430

Last edited by pickler; 12-03-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:41 PM
big shot.

Ok...but i still dont think you directly addressed anything Honda is proposing. That said, i guess what you are saying is a turbo is more economical with similar power. Im not encouraging Honda to make monster engines at the expense of other attributes...i am pumped that they are claiming to have done so while maintaing attributes of other fuel efficient power plants, all the while maintaing their standards of reliability and smoothness.

1st. In terms of price/economics of Hondas new tech. Anything is speculation. Honda could very well bring a lot to the table with only a subtle price increase. This seems more plausible because they do not have a track record for blowing up their stickers, even in light of totally new models.

2nd. Reliability....absolutely no proof or indication of increased maintenance with Hondas new tech. All remains to be seen. Obviously there are more parts at work, hybrid things in action....but, again, following Hondas remarkable track record (once they fixed their shit transmissions from a while ago) this could and can be a non issue as well. Honda doesnt bring many vehicles to the road that are not reliable already.

3rd. The customer wont care so much about whatever is driving the AWD system, what they will care about is how whatever the system is DELIVERS power, the drivability of it, and if it has any real # affect on performance. The fact that its "electric" AWD will drive no one away from the SHAWD system. Given the CRV's initial tests, its AWD transfer is electric, and there has been praise all around. I dont believe, at all, that "most will opt out for FWD" that has not been the case nor will it be, and, i think it matters crucially on where you live not so much the wallet or how it performs.

4th. Theres not much more on the market that is as reliable as a Honda powerplant. I wouldnt expect that to change much.

5th. Reliability is a crap shoot - brands offer you a better shot at having fewer problems in your vehicle. Both my RDXs, 2007, and 2008 have been shit. Im not beating the unreliable drum, but it is what it is.

lastly - I prefer the looks of the MDX to any model acura sells. Its the most appealing, i think, for acura. That said, im sure they will find a way to fuck the RDX up. The MMC was terrible. It looked OK when first released, and looks much better with finishing touches that should have been standard; the front lip spoiler and rear diffuser. I prefer my older RDX because there is LESS stuff wrong with design vs more lol.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by pickler
hah if this is true, then i was right:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812566

3.5L RDX will be slower or same acceleration at best. a reflashed RDX gets flat 6s to 60mph, i have proof for that. a TSX v6 which is 500lbs lighter gets to 60mph in 6.4s! The J35 will also make the RDX nose heavy and it will render the steering numb and demolish handling. Most TSX owners were asking for the turbo and now acura slapped the v6 on the rdx too ROFL. it might improve highway mileage but it will get crappy MDX-like city mileage as well.

the funny part of this is that all other manufacturers are switching or already have switched to turbo I4 (ie BMW 328i, bmw x1, audi q5, sonata, c250, '13 santafe, etc).
Pickler is right. Shoving more motor under the hood of this little machine is a damn shame.
Anyway you slice it, J35, rear electric, or not, the new RDX will undoubtedly be heavier in the nose (and it already needed a deit).

It's sad to see what was once a company that produced practical, lean, comfortable sports vehicles turn into another Mercedes clone maker.

Plump my ride? If the RDX gets any bigger it will not fit in my circa 1992 garage.