2008 MDX to 2014 RDX, Regrets/Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 07:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 MDX to 2014 RDX, Regrets/Thoughts?

Hey All,

I currently have a 2008 MDX Sport. While I love the vehicle overall, I am looking to buy something new. While I think the new MDX is nice, I just cannot justify the price. If I got a new MDX I would really want the ventilated seats, and don't want to buy an Advance model.

Anyway, over the last year or so, I have been looking into the RDX and do like it. I do not need the 3rd row or extra room of the MDX, so that part wouldn't bother me. I was looking at an all wheel drive with the tech package for the RDX.

I was curious if anyone else made this transition, from the 2G MDX to the new RDX, and what they thought. Also curious if there are things you really miss that you didn't think of before the switch.

Thanks Everyone,
-Dennis
Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
at this point in the game, you proly wanna wait for the mid cycle refresh next year, I have had the MDX as a loaner several times, the RDX is a hot rod compared to the MDX, ie. 700 lbs less weight
Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Hi Dennis.....I think the RDX is overall a great vehicle but the thing that you must be aware is the following:

1. Lack of passenger height adjuster and the seat is low.
2. An annoying noise in the rear suspension that Acura has not addressed yet.

Otherwise, the fuel efficiency is great, the road noise is relatively low, it handles great and offers lots of positive aspects. #2 listed above is the main reason why I will try and trade mine in....I can't be driving in a vehicle that sounds like it has 2 blown shocks and Acura says that its the way the vehicle was designed.....I have to be fair though, everything else makes this SUV quite nice.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACK RAVEN
at this point in the game, you proly wanna wait for the mid cycle refresh next year, I have had the MDX as a loaner several times, the RDX is a hot rod compared to the MDX, ie. 700 lbs less weight
I don't think the refresh will be until 2016.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Hi Dennis.....I think the RDX is overall a great vehicle but the thing that you must be aware is the following:

Otherwise, the fuel efficiency is great, the road noise is relatively low, it handles great and offers lots of positive aspects. #2 listed above is the main reason why I will try and trade mine in....I can't be driving in a vehicle that sounds like it has 2 blown shocks and Acura says that its the way the vehicle was designed.....I have to be fair though, everything else makes this SUV quite nice.
Hey Weather don't bail on us now! Maybe you could take Handfiler's approach and install the aftermarket shocks? Gotta be cheaper than buying a new vehicle
The following users liked this post:
weather (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the tech and everything in the new MDX, just cannot justify the $58,000+ price tag for an Advance edition.

I really wish there were more options for the RDX, like air conditioned seats and the MDX version of the remote start.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by weather

I have a service appt Friday, one of the things they're looking at is the rear shocks. They sound terrible, and they're getting worse. I find it hard to believe their performance is by design.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:58 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I was looking to add another Acura to our stable and it was between 13-14 RDX tech or 2010-2012 MDX Advance. I was looking for the most bang for the buck in the mid $30s price range.

There were a lot good things with the +13 RDX I liked:
- improved gas mileage
- new car smell
- styling similar to big brother 2014 MDX
- larger size compared to 07-12 RDX
- slight upgrade in tech

Issues I didn't like with the +13 RDX
- new model, possible maint and/or TSB issues down the road (keep cars for +8yrs)
- they always add extras during the MMC (power, tech, styling, etc...)
- no sh-awd option
- less sporty compared to 1G RDX
- overall it did not offer me anything above what my 08 RDX already gave me

I decided on the 11 MDX Adv/Ent because it had everything my 08 RDX tech had with the addition of:
- more power
- slightly better hwy mpgs
- rear A/C & heat vents
- rear heated seats (wanted the seat heaters more than the DVD player)
- more room
- higher tow
- Quiet ride with IDS (sport for me, comfort for the wife when driving)
- Cooled seats and 8-way power passenger seat
- ACC, BSI, & CMBS with seat belt pre-tensioners
- updated tech (streaming bluetooth, XM weather, USB, HHD)

I will wait until the MMC for the RDX and MDX to see if it would be worth upgrading 4-5 yrs down the road.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by stuhFAN
I have a service appt Friday, one of the things they're looking at is the rear shocks. They sound terrible, and they're getting worse. I find it hard to believe their performance is by design.
Keep us posted. I know the dealers have been replacing the shocks but they are installing the same parts which only means the problem will redevelop sooner rather than later.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear left shock was replaced. So far, everything sounds & feels nice and tight again. Service tech said that the replacement shock is an updated part. I'm really hoping it was just a bad shock, it was so bad that I was experiencing what another member on here posted about recently - basically the car was launching off small bumps mid-corner, thereby reducing rear traction and causing the rear to swing. Not to the point where I lost traction entirely, but I could imagine if enough speed was involved, it could happen. The problem left the "annoyance" category and entered "safety" so I'm glad I already had the appointment booked, considering my wife & kid are the primary users of the vehicle.

Last edited by stuhFAN; 03-24-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I was looking to add another Acura to our stable and it was between 13-14 RDX tech or 2010-2012 MDX Advance. I was looking for the most bang for the buck in the mid $30s price range.

There were a lot good things with the +13 RDX I liked:
- improved gas mileage
- new car smell
- styling similar to big brother 2014 MDX
- larger size compared to 07-12 RDX
- slight upgrade in tech

Issues I didn't like with the +13 RDX
- new model, possible maint and/or TSB issues down the road (keep cars for +8yrs)
- they always add extras during the MMC (power, tech, styling, etc...)
- no sh-awd option
- less sporty compared to 1G RDX
- overall it did not offer me anything above what my 08 RDX already gave me

I decided on the 11 MDX Adv/Ent because it had everything my 08 RDX tech had with the addition of:
- more power
- slightly better hwy mpgs
- rear A/C & heat vents
- rear heated seats (wanted the seat heaters more than the DVD player)
- more room
- higher tow
- Quiet ride with IDS (sport for me, comfort for the wife when driving)
- Cooled seats and 8-way power passenger seat
- ACC, BSI, & CMBS with seat belt pre-tensioners
- updated tech (streaming bluetooth, XM weather, USB, HHD)

I will wait until the MMC for the RDX and MDX to see if it would be worth upgrading 4-5 yrs down the road.
With regard to your decision, all good (for you). These calls are individual. The bullit about slightly higher MPGs on highway is interesting. How much higher? My MDX got at best 21, my RDX got 30 on last long highway trip, with much more (IMO) acceleration.