Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine RDX Community > Second Generation RDX (2013-2018)
Reload this Page >

2 Bolts on Front pillar when you open the front door

Notices

Old 02-27-2019, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know, what are these bolts for? They are located on driver and passenger sides. When you open the front door, there are 2 bolts, located vertically in the door hinge area. They don't hold anything from the outside but they go into the pillar. So they must hold something on the other side, even inside the interior.

Why am I asking? Right now, looking to join Acura Army. So, looking at this 2018 RDX on a dealer lot. It is their own car, loaner with 10K miles. What I noticed, is these 2 bolts were touched / worked on, on the passenger side. But not on the driver side. I couldn't find any other evidence of body work, CARFAX is clean. I am wondering, "what was that?" [work].

your help deeply appreciated.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
Without a picture I'm not exactly which two you are referring to. However, I see two bolts in the pillar that are used to hold the fender in place and I see two bolts that go into the side of the dash to hold the dash in place. IF the two bolts (one goes into the edge of the fender and the other likely holds the inner fender) are in the pillar and have been worked on it would be my guess that the fender had been removed for some reason. IF something was fixed or replaced at the dealership I would not expect them to document it because they would not want it showing up on your search.
The following users liked this post:
slavuta (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by snorf View Post
Without a picture I'm not exactly which two you are referring to. However, I see two bolts in the pillar that are used to hold the fender in place and I see two bolts that go into the side of the dash to hold the dash in place.
Thank you for your effort here. Now, I explained originally that "They don't hold anything from the outside but they go into the pillar". This is correlates to what you've said, "bolts that go into the side of the dash to hold the dash in place". Yes. And to clarify further, I can say that fender bolts are untouched. Then, if they are indeed dash bolts, which they definitely look like and I thought that this is what it is, then another question arises - "why they were worked on only on 1 side?". Because I can tell that bolts on driver side were not touched from the factory. But on passenger side they look like socket was all over them.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:18 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 160 Likes on 145 Posts
Do you have a picture? Why do you think they were worked on? Can they came from factory like that?
Old 03-01-2019, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Comfy View Post
Do you have a picture? Why do you think they were worked on? Can they came from factory like that?
Because bolts on driver side look like not touched by a wrench. Although, they were at least once, from the factory. On the passenger side however, they look like they were turned. Even washers look like they are different. I think, the washers were set with opposite side on. They are dark on outer side, probably rust protection. I think, they could find something at the factory during quality control and reset something. I will be looking at 2 more cars like this today and will look. I can also look under the dash if I return to that original car. Thanks
Old 03-02-2019, 03:56 PM
RDX ELITE V6

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
this thread was causing me anxiety without photos lol.. so here you go.. off a 2017 RDX:

The following 2 users liked this post by Acura604:
Comfy (03-03-2019), slavuta (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
this thread was causing me anxiety without photos lol.. so here you go.. off a 2017 RDX
Thank you. Now everyone can see these dark bolts that on one car looked completely different on passenger side. Today I saw another 2017 RDX were bolts were worked on. And on 2 others I saw in last couple days, they looked original.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:01 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Its better to be paranoid before buying a used car. So yes, I'd buy only the car whose bolts weren't worked on.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Comfy View Post
Its better to be paranoid before buying a used car. So yes, I'd buy only the car whose bolts weren't worked on.
This is unbelievable how bad things are in a certified car world. I saw at least 7 RDXs, most certified. Whatever people do to these in 2-3 years... Looks like leasees really think of their cars as rentals. Worst one was 2016 with 15K miles! You open the door and its has a foul smell inside. The leather looks like it was splashed with glue. The exterior had more scratches than my 4 current cars together, and they combined have 29 years of usage. Most disturbing part is that dealer priced it as it was clean. Best one was taken right from under my nose and it didn't have smells or other disturbing signs (I was able to look at it with a sold sign on it). Second best had some trunk carpet damage, it was a loaner car with 11K miles (many people drove it) and it was the one with bolts.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:47 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I agree with you about people treating the leased cars as trash. Iíve heard some donít even do required services too. The good part is that you donít have to buy it if you arenít 100% satisfied with it. Just expand your search or wait for some more time. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
LOL. I think "certified" means absolutely nothing. You're buying a USED vehicle. It's nothing more than a gimmick to sell used cars for an inflated price. Even when we bought our new RDX, there were things that were missed by the manufacturer and the dealer. I just took care of them myself because I wasn't interested in driving an hour one way to have minor issues taken care of that I could do on my own.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.