Notices

16 RDX Transmission Issues

Old 05-22-2019, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 RDX Transmission Issues

We bought a used 2016 RDX. It currently has 37400 miles on it. We had a software update done for the judder, and were going back to get another secondary update installed. Lately, iíve noticed that the car sometimes has a clunk or thud in higher gears, but it usually only happens once and never returns until the next day or so after it has sat overnight or a few days. Also, sometimes when coming to a ďslowĒ stop the car downshifts rough. Any ideas? I know that acura makes some clunky transmissions and am not sure whether or not i should let it go or get it checked out.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, you are within warranty, so I would expect the dealer to do what they can. Frequent trans fluid changes are a normal Honda thing. More often than recommended,
like every other oil change is what the savvy owners do, especially with this drivetrain.

The other thing you can look into is muzzling the VCM (variable cylinder management) VCM shuts off 3 of the 6 cylinders (in 2016 & newer) to save fuel.
It turns out that the actual individual fuel savings are not that great. It was only CAFE ratings Honda was after. Some folks really feel the engage/dis-engage.
While this V-6 & trans, with much better active engine mounts is about as good as VCM ever got, turning it off all the time is still desirable.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright...cool. i appreciate it. iíve scheduled an appointment at Pye Acura on saturday to get it checked out.

Originally Posted by egads View Post
Well, you are within warranty, so I would expect the dealer to do what they can. Frequent trans fluid changes are a normal Honda thing. More often than recommended,
like every other oil change is what the savvy owners do, especially with this drivetrain.

The other thing you can look into is muzzling the VCM (variable cylinder management) VCM shuts off 3 of the 6 cylinders (in 2016 & newer) to save fuel.
It turns out that the actual individual fuel savings are not that great. It was only CAFE ratings Honda was after. Some folks really feel the engage/dis-engage.
While this V-6 & trans, with much better active engine mounts is about as good as VCM ever got, turning it off all the time is still desirable.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just keep in mind that, as convenient as Saturday service is, most dealers mainly do regular maintenance service then. The best techs might not be there.
If they need to have a certified tech look at it or do a software update, you may need to take it in during regular hours. Many dealers will provide loaners if you have go to work.