14 RDX AC blowing warm after recharge

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:16 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 RDX AC blowing warm after recharge

My daughters 14 RDX started blowing warm air out of the drivers side vents with the AC about ten days ago. The passenger side was fine and blew cold air. It would intermittently work on the drivers side but quit this weekend on a six hour trip home. After reading through several forums I decided to check the drivers side control valve module. It functioned normally when I cycled from max ac to heat. Several in the forum recommended adding refrigerant. My ac pressure gauge indicated it was low so yestrday I added one small can. It was now blowing cold out of both sides but still reading around 35psi on the gauge. Fearing there might be a small leak, I added another small can of the leak sealing 134. When adding that can, the pressure never got to 50psi but now blew cold air out on both sides. My daughter just called me about three hours into her six hour trip back home and told me it is now blowing warm air out of both sides.
Any guesses at where to start?
Any recommendations for reputable shops in Wash DC area?
Thanks - Kevin
(my first post was in wrong location)
Old 07-09-2018, 11:51 AM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
What kind of gauges were you using? One of those cheapies that reads only the low side or a set of real A/C gauges that read both sides? Unless you can see both high & low you can't tell what's going on. A/C systems are not something to fool with unless you know what you're doing. You can do a lot of expensive harm by just adding refrigerant without knowing what the problem is.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:51 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markAZ
What kind of gauges were you using? One of those cheapies that reads only the low side or a set of real A/C gauges that read both sides? Unless you can see both high & low you can't tell what's going on. A/C systems are not something to fool with unless you know what you're doing. You can do a lot of expensive harm by just adding refrigerant without knowing what the problem is.
Admittedly, I did use a $20 charge hose with low pressure gauge. https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Pro-2...BM-4/204834456
More feedback from symptoms after charging with two cans: The AC was cold on the passenger side for about one hour, the both sides went to ambient. The AC would then kick in for 30 seconds and then back off again. Could I have over charged the system? It was not working today. Currently looking for a repair shpo in Northern Va / DC area.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Cycling on and off usaully means low refrigerant.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I recently did the recharge in My 06 Sienna XLE. The same thing happened (warm air came out from the vent). I then went to my mechanic friend to vacuum the system and recharge the a/c. He told me that air might get in. I had bad experience with this kind of recharge kit before and will not do it again in the future.

Originally Posted by khwilm
My daughters 14 RDX started blowing warm air out of the drivers side vents with the AC about ten days ago. The passenger side was fine and blew cold air. It would intermittently work on the drivers side but quit this weekend on a six hour trip home. After reading through several forums I decided to check the drivers side control valve module. It functioned normally when I cycled from max ac to heat. Several in the forum recommended adding refrigerant. My ac pressure gauge indicated it was low so yestrday I added one small can. It was now blowing cold out of both sides but still reading around 35psi on the gauge. Fearing there might be a small leak, I added another small can of the leak sealing 134. When adding that can, the pressure never got to 50psi but now blew cold air out on both sides. My daughter just called me about three hours into her six hour trip back home and told me it is now blowing warm air out of both sides.
Any guesses at where to start?
Any recommendations for reputable shops in Wash DC area?
Thanks - Kevin
(my first post was in wrong location)