NSX on Tour: Smail Acura, PA, 11/15/15

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
NSX on Tour: Smail Acura, PA, 11/15/15

First off: Thank you to Acura for bringing the cars, thanks to the Acura engineers for answering all my silly questions about the new NSX and tolerating my positive comments about my RLX Sport Hybrid, and thank you to Smail Acura for being such gracious hosts.

NSX Prime members were alerted to the Acura NSX on Tour stops in PA this weekend. One of the stops was at Smail Acura in Greensburg, PA, just east of Pittsburgh, from 5-7 PM today. I decided to drive the two hours today from my home near Cleveland to a) meet other NSX owners and b) finally get to see the interior of the new NSX.

I met up with one other NSX owner from the Cleveland area and we drove most of the way together on the Ohio and PA Turnpikes, until he had to pull off for some gas.

I'm still getting to know my "new to me" 1999 NSX-T and while I've mentioned the slow steering, it turns out that the slow steering is mostly at slow speeds. At 80 mph, the steering is nice and sharp. It's still not S2000 sharp, but it makes the steep turns on the PA Turnpike/I-76 very easy to take at 80 mph. My travel partner took his muffs off and has straight pipes from the cats back. I could hear him from three car lengths behind, even when he wasn't getting on it. I LOVE these NSX seats. So comfortable....so supportive in the turns.... I can't say enough about the visibility in this car. I can see all the way around, almost with no blind spots. Very well designed!

These comments are relevant when comparing with the new NSX.

Acura brought their red and black NSXs. They both had carbon ceramic brakes, which the engineers told me would be standard on the new NSX. Caliper color is to be an option. The red NSX had the full carbon fiber package including the top, rear wing, engine cover, rear diffuser, steering wheel, dash pod cover, and center console. Both NSXs were wearing my favorite sport winter tires, Pirelli Sottozeros. I had the Sottozeros on my first CTS-V and they did quite well in light snow, and in dry, cold conditions.

They had just started up the black one when I arrived. I'm sorry I couldn't get a video for you. Suffice to say that if you've heard the original NSX, the new sound definitely pays homage to the old and it should sound familiar. The interior is already familiar to me because the steering wheel controls and shifter are almost exactly the same as in my RLX Sport Hybrid. The seats are comfy and supportive, but the original NSX are, honestly, much better. Even so, the cockpit has the same intimate feel as the original NSX. Visibility is better in NSX1 as well, but you can still see clearly behind you.

Anyway, you don't care about all the words, you want pictures, so here they are:

My son sitting in the new NSX:

The black NSX getting lots of attention:

Interior of the black NSX features a carbon fiber, flat bottomed steering wheel:

The red NSX in the Smail Acura showroom:

Carbon fiber engine cover looks SWEET in person:

Interior:

Flip-up door handle. I am manually pushing on it to open it, then you pull on the exposed handle to pull the door open. What's really cool is that if someone walks by with the key fob, the handle pops out by itself. COOOOOOOOOOL and this was demonstrated a number of times tonight.

Trunk

Front compartment

The caboose with nice carbon fiber rear diffuser and optional rear trim.

The legendary name

Optional wheel and red caliper. That wheel is teh sex in person, along with the rest of the car.

One more of the gorgeous black one.....

...and its interior.

We had a nice turnout of people, but only four cars. Up here in the North, most have already put their toys away for the winter.....

My car turned 60k miles on the way home, just after crossing the state line back into Ohio. It's already had two road trips totaling 780 miles in just one week! I'm getting maximum use out of this car before I have to park it for five months!

The trip was well worth it simply to meet other NSX owners. I'll be back to Pittsburgh for their Cars and Coffee at least once during the summer to reconnect. However, the new NSX, the main reason for this trip, is now officially not vaporware anymore. It is a moving machine, the engine starts up, and hopefully real sales to actual customers will really start soon.
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
CLtotheTL32 (11-17-2015), holografique (11-18-2015), Legend2TL (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Thanks Bob - you look younger than I would have imagined...

Curious - is this car based on the production model that will be sold next Spring? IOW - they were going to makes some changes to the engine layout which delayed the car to next Spring - is this the actual car that incorporates those changes?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
Bob - are you going to be the first to pre order your new NSX?
Old 11-16-2015, 12:43 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut

Curious - is this car based on the production model that will be sold next Spring? IOW - they were going to makes some changes to the engine layout which delayed the car to next Spring - is this the actual car that incorporates those changes?
That's his son I think...hahaha!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Thanks for the report. Your son looks right at home - future graduation present!

Is there a way to find out when they are bringing these cars to other towns? I'd love to see them in the metal when they are out my way.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut

and

This car is apparently the production NSX. The engineers are mostly making software tweaks at this point. Whatever was being done to the drivetrain is already done, else they likely wouldn't be allowing us anywhere near the engine. The interior of both cars had wires strewn about in a semi-organized fashion, indicating that they are still making adjustments.

I asked about how they do the tour. Acura was interested in getting as many views as possible on driving the car, so they fly engineers out to take over driving the car at various points during the tour. Acura is taking this launch very seriously.

Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
Bob - are you going to be the first to pre order your new NSX?
I can afford (payments on ) the new NSX.....but I'd rather save that money to send my son to college. We have enough now to fund his going to a state college, but I'd like to be able to fund an Ivy just in case.

Originally Posted by iforyou
That's his son I think...hahaha!

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Thanks for the report. Your son looks right at home - future graduation present!

Is there a way to find out when they are bringing these cars to other towns? I'd love to see them in the metal when they are out my way.
I found out they were coming because of NSX Prime. Apparently, they let some NSXCA leaders know when the cars are coming, shortly before they come, so they can get NSX owners out. I found out because there was a call put out for NSX owners. The engineers told me they were going straight back to Marysville after leaving Pittsburgh.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
JM2010 SH-AWD (11-16-2015), Malibu Flyer (11-18-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
thx for the pics bob!

so were you at least TEMPTED to trade in for the new NSX???

I would LOVE to buy one... i bet they mark them up like crazy when they first hit the dealerships.

Bob - did they tell you WHAT the lease payment would be????
Old 11-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Thanks for the write-up Bob. Love the pics and thanks for the details on the self-opening door handles. Very cool indeed! I was curious about those after seeing them listed in the specifications.

Also very encouraging to see Acura going to great lengths to ensure the highest quality prior to the product release. I look forward to seeing how they can take similar steps on future releases of the RLX. I know it's not a $150k NSX...but it's also not a $30k TLX...