Why keep the CLS6

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:57 AM
CLS^6

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Why keep the CLS6

My last post generated a lot of controversy. That was good. As stated before, no hard feelings or any negative feelings carried forward. We are all part of this community for a reason.

We are here because, for some reason or other, we want to be here. Everyone does not have to agree and various view points emerge. Personally, I wish there was less negativity and a greater sense of open debate, but that is besides the point of this post.

This post is about why all of you choose to keep your CLS6 or CLS or CL.

I am going to be blunt; I dont keep the CLS6 due to financial constraints. A G37, 335i, Camaro SS, Mustang 5.0 GT, Lexus GS430/60 are all attainable without much financial burden. But none of them give me the bang for the buck I seek. The only cars I feel are worth the price of admission are on a very short list. Not in order of desirability.

1. 2005+ Chevrolet Corvette Z06
2. 2005+ BMW M5 6 Speed manual
3. Porsche 993 911 (1993-1998)__ multiple variants
4. Porsche 997 GT3
5. Lexus ISF
6.. 2010+ Acura TL SH-AWD 6 speed manul
7. Others but the list above came to mind off the cuff...

I came back to the CLS6 after owning a few cars in between.

It is exhilarating. It revs through the gears like very few cars.

The J32A2 takes a beating and keeps on ticking. Routine maintenance is all it needs.

I got some criticism for thinking mandrel bends add significant power, let me elaborate.

- I have logged 150,000 miles on two 2001-2003 CLS's.
- I have been driving for 15 years.
- I have owned sub 13 second LS1 V8's and currently own a 1999 Camaro SS LS1 Convertible (stated because I get it, torque and V8 power is fun)
- I have had my fair share of street races and am happy to say that the street racing life is behind me.
- Roll racing on the highway, if the circumstances are right, is more valuable information than a dyno. This is just my personal experience as new cars are less likely to be out of tune or modified. When you outrun, say a 2011 WRX STI, you know what power you are making.

***believe me, owners of faster metal (say, a 2011 Mustang 5.0) DO NOT have the luxury of toying with you. If they lay off the throttle for even 1 seconds, the CLS6 will make it very hard for them to catch up and play with you. The CLS6 is very quick at maxing out 6th gear.

I recently rebuilt my exhaust and replaced a cat back Greddy EV02 exhaust with a axle-back custom made HKS Hi Power Muffler system. The bends in the axle-back were carefully redone. Believe me, as stated before, careful attention to the bends effects the high rpm character of the car. Laugh if you want, but I know for a fact that the ability of the car to rev through the gears is affected.

Back to my point, I love the CLS6.

When the ECU plays ball, the car is a quick machine. From 60mph+, I stand by my assertion that the speed with which the motor spins through the gears belies the measured power output. It is a very fast car on the highway.

I will never sell it.

Other cars will have to make room for the CL as it, after all the cars I have owned, stands out. Reliable, ferocious, and comfortable. The 12" Orions in the trunk dont hurt either :-)

I view this forum as a way to celebrate the CL/CLS/CLS6.

Therefore, long live the 01-03 Acura CL. Great Car.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 AM
CLS^6

I forgot to mention. I think the body in metal is beautiful. No spoilers, no bodykits, no tricks. It is a great looking vehicle as is.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:21 AM
CLS^6

oh yeah... a 335i coupe automatic could not keep up from 60mph-1xx+mph the other day... Im sure I will be called a liar... but thems the facts....

I am working a video showing 2008 M3 Coupe (metal roof) 6 speed versus my CL from a 60mph roll... This will validate for everyone the actual power output of the car when traction is removed from the equation... a M3 coupe does weigh less than the sedan so I expect to get walked on... stay tuned....
Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 AM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
+1 shes even better when stroked lol I'll don't there's any car that compare to it
Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 AM
CLS^6

Just so I dont get called a liar regarding the Camaro SS

Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 AM
CLS^6

Originally Posted by rush
+1 shes even better when stroked lol I'll don't there's any car that compare to it
i cant wait till the motor blows. its wierd wanting it to go yet it wont. i have heard that there is a fuel cut at 7,100 but with 'test pipe/ct headers/pulley' it seems the car wants to rev to 7,100-7,300... i can sincerely say that the butt dyno sees no drop in power between 6,700-7,200... this point has been beaten to death, but the test pipe has yielded some real benefits @ high rpm's..... the dyno might not show it, but there is a distinct uptick in power after 6,500rpm with the test pipe....

I would love to go up against a 3.6CL from 50-100... The outcome is already known but again, when the ECU plays ball, the 3.2CLS6 can lay some down some impressive stats with a free flowing exhaust .... just ask Sean @ P2R

The best part of the CL is how quickly you can place the engine speed on the tach. The ability to launch from 4,500rpm @ most hwy speeds is a great weapon....

what a great car...
Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 AM
03 acura cl type s

We can only eve to 7000rpm anyway but mines has no problems & I have a stock exhaust with a cutout it's amazing

Last edited by rush; 06-02-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Keep the car because you like it.
Screw all the mumbo jumbo comparing this car and that car to it.

I want to keep my cl because I have dumped a little bit of cash into it and I'm not done with it.
Biggest reason I want to keep it, IT'S PAID OFF and I will NEVER see even close to a return of whats added if sold.
So I will keep car.
At times I want to drive something differnt just to drive something differnt but, Unless financial reasons make me it will be staying by my side for the long haul wether it's just turned into a future track toy or is passed to my son.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by suspekt360
I recently rebuilt my exhaust and replaced a cat back Greddy EV02 exhaust with a axle-back custom made HKS Hi Power Muffler system
I would like to see pictures of the HKS exhaust as I've been looking into a 3" HKS Ti-Carbon exhaust.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I am going to be blunt; I dont keep the CLS6 due to financial constraints. A G37, 335i, Camaro SS, Mustang 5.0 GT, Lexus GS430/60 are all attainable without much financial burden. But none of them give me the bang for the buck I seek. The only cars I feel are worth the price of admission are on a very short list. Not in order of desirability.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
I don't keep the CLS6 due to financial constraints.
Well I do. Can't afford a car payment for something similar or better. Cars are to much $. And if I sold my CLS I'd get no money for it.
So it shares driving duties with my 93 explorer.

I'm so done with car comparisons. What's faster what's not, features, performance, the car rocks after 50 at 4K rpm...blah blah blah. I don't care any longer. Give me a car that works & suits my needs. As long as one works I'm happy. There are much more important things in life.

Last edited by fuzzy02CLS; 06-02-2011 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
g1underground (07-06-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your first and fourth pics look awesome! I really like the way your car is set up! If mine looked like that would like it more too.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:41 PM
P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Long live the CL. Nice CL, good choice on wheels.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
LOL im keeping mine because frankly I do not want to buy a new car, seems like all new cars now are not built anything like the cars from the late 80's to early 2000's. I guess when people stop buying new cars maybe the auto makers will actually start making real products.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,143 Likes on 4,810 Posts
Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
LOL im keeping mine because frankly I do not want to buy a new car, seems like all new cars now are not built anything like the cars from the late 80's to early 2000's. I guess when people stop buying new cars maybe the auto makers will actually start making real products.

Aside from a few niche cars, there is nothing on the market I want. And any of the used cars I want I cant find in good condition/low mileage/realistic price.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why CL-S6? Its reliable, pretty comfortable, is reasonably quick, easy to do routine maintenance on, has a slick -w/ some work- shifting manual tranny, and is reasonably supported by the aftermarket. Also it is not so common being a CL and as the manual tranny came out only in the last year of production, the 6spd it is actually rather unique. Its nice to have the most reliable and quickest version of this model.

I've redone my suspension lately w/ change of springs and upgrade to extreme performance tires and where I used to think it was a boat I now find it quite fun to drive in the twisties.

Last thing I like about it related to being not so common is that others don't really know what kind of performance to expect from it. So maybe more fun while less tickets. +1 for an underdog.

Took me awhile to get my car stereo where I want it. All components were chosen for synergy, installed and tuned to achieve clarity, imaging, and thump. Newer cars are more of a pain in the ass to integrate good sound into.

Lots of new cars look cool like BMW,Audi, and Mercedes but I would only get these if I were leasing due to not good reliability. And I won't lease 'cause I know I will get the itch to do mods. Maybe WRX STI or EVo, but I feel too old for those. Camaro is nice, just not as nice to me as the originals.

Nothing really appealing to me right now that I would like to sacrifice for since I won't do car payments...but my plan is that a used ISF will be in my garage in a couple years.

Last edited by monkeybutt; 06-02-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,143 Likes on 4,810 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeybutt
Last thing I like about it related to being not so common is that others don't really know what kind of performance to expect from it. So maybe more fun while less tickets. +1 for an underdog.
Agreed. I passed a cop yesterday doing 75 in a 60 and he didn't even budge. I was sweating bullets for a few miles though. Not a lot of people notice the CL, unless you have a really loud exhaust or are driving like a complete ass.

I also agree with the stereo. Newer cars integrate the stock radios into the dash in such a way that its a pain to swap out.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
if you can get a new 335i or g37, then i would have. those are beautiful cars especially the g37s, and if it was lowered on staggered wheels, man there is nothing that looks classier in my opinion..
but good cls-6 love story, i have them on here myself...lol
Old 06-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONSredTYPE-S
if you can get a new 335i or g37, then i would have. those are beautiful cars especially the g37s, and if it was lowered on staggered wheels, man there is nothing that looks classier in my opinion..
but good cls-6 love story, i have them on here myself...lol
Meh my next car will be an older nsx of some sort or a datsun 240z/280z, I'm done with new cars. They just don't have appeal to me anymore. I'm gonna get a classic, heck I might just try to find me a 1950's Mercury coupe, preferably one with a chopped top.

But I'm only keeping the CL because I got it for a rather good price and its paid for.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Back to a MT!

I have been happy with my CL6 over the years... It's held up well so far. Last month I got to 151k on the first clutch before it went out... Up on till that point I haven't spent much more than oil, tires, timing belt, water pump and a few small things... Dropped $4500 in it for new clutch, flywheel, 3/4gears, power steering rack that was leaking, spark plugs, valve adjustment and motor mounts... most people thought I was crazy, but have to say, I think it was well worth it for hopefully many more year of driving enjoyment!! My dad is at 260k in his TLS, so hoping I can last that long.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Recently turned 18

That's a really cool story. I'm always debating jumping ship to something else "new and shiny" but it just seems like the other cars always have some serious lack in important categories (exterior aesthetics, interior comfort/features, sex appeal, PRICE-a big one). I'll admit, I like new stuff but I also know it comes at a price. There is only one car at a DECENT price range I'm considering right now and the fact that it's a sedan and doesn't come with NAVI irritates my OCD. It's a Pontiac G8.

I go back and forth. I'm not sure that any other car would offer the bang for the buck that my CL6 does (especially considering this thing is paid off) but sometimes it's really hard imagining life without a change. The fact that I have two other vehicles to mod doesn't help either. LOL
Old 06-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
glad you love your car. ive beatin up quite a few 335i's i tend to pick those races because i want one and im jealous
Old 06-08-2011, 04:51 PM
CLS^6

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Well I do. Can't afford a car payment for something similar or better. Cars are to much $. And if I sold my CLS I'd get no money for it.
So it shares driving duties with my 93 explorer.

I'm so done with car comparisons. What's faster what's not, features, performance, the car rocks after 50 at 4K rpm...blah blah blah. I don't care any longer. Give me a car that works & suits my needs. As long as one works I'm happy. There are much more important things in life.
It may not seem like it due to the enthusiasm in my post, but I totally agree with you.

I felt there was some unfinished business with the CLS so I had to finish some things off. I dont think I will be doing anything further with the car except for the 09 Intake Manifold which is an itch that wont go away :-)... curiosity more than anything else me thinks.

I didnt mean to come off arrogant. Finances matter alot. Spending new moola on a more expensive car is not worth the proposition.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:54 PM
CLS^6

Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
Your first and fourth pics look awesome! I really like the way your car is set up! If mine looked like that would like it more too.
thanks, I appreciate that.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:00 PM
CLS^6

Originally Posted by Blitz
That's a really cool story. I'm always debating jumping ship to something else "new and shiny" but it just seems like the other cars always have some serious lack in important categories (exterior aesthetics, interior comfort/features, sex appeal, PRICE-a big one). I'll admit, I like new stuff but I also know it comes at a price. There is only one car at a DECENT price range I'm considering right now and the fact that it's a sedan and doesn't come with NAVI irritates my OCD. It's a Pontiac G8.

I go back and forth. I'm not sure that any other car would offer the bang for the buck that my CL6 does (especially considering this thing is paid off) but sometimes it's really hard imagining life without a change. The fact that I have two other vehicles to mod doesn't help either. LOL
I should have added G8 GXP 6 speed manual to my list.. great car... throw in a Katech Torquer Cam or a Livernois Motorsports performance package and it would be heaven.... a current CTS-V 6 speed manual should also be on the list... for me, exlusivity is key so I would probably opt for the GXP over the CTSV....

again, I cant justify spending $35,000 at this stage.... life has too many other priorities...
Old 06-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by phee
glad you love your car. ive beatin up quite a few 335i's i tend to pick those races because i want one and im jealous
Don't be jealous, just race for pinks. The old school meaning of "I own you."
Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Recently turned 18

I should have added G8 GXP 6 speed manual to my list.. great car... throw in a Katech Torquer Cam or a Livernois Motorsports performance package and it would be heaven.... a current CTS-V 6 speed manual should also be on the list... for me, exlusivity is key so I would probably opt for the GXP over the CTSV....

again, I cant justify spending $35,000 at this stage.... life has too many other priorities...
YES! As a coupe guy the two cars I really want are the CTS-V coupe and Audi S5. Again...$$$. I was explaining to a WRX owning friend...it's not always about how fast you go, it's how you get there too. I'm exactly with you on the GXP and the exclusivity of some cars over others.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:01 AM
03 acura cl type s

Am defiantly jumping ship I owe 8600 with 200,000 miles and broken trans. It's been a Money pit since100k am selling everything cheap Asap going for the
ISF thanks bit I'll still be a member
Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 AM

So part out ?
Wonder what you have that I could use.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Am defiantly jumping ship I owe 8600 with 200,000 miles and broken trans. It's been a Money pit since100k am selling everything cheap Asap going for the
omg, you owe 8600?
damn 200,000 miles too, jesus man..
how are you gonna get outta the hole?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
tl;dr but i think i get the gist of this thread, I was thinking of trading in or selling and getting a 04-08 TLS but like others have said, its a great car, it's paid off and if you already dumped a little money keep it as a project car. Plus mine only has 73K miles on it =D
Old 06-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

That is pretty sad if you still owe that much on an 03, and you want an ISF? smfh
Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Pro

The CL is a great car. My only complaint is that this car should have been RWD. I was looking into a 350z myself, but everyone has one. I keep my car because it's unique, the interior is amazing, and it's inexpensive to fix.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 01 CL-S auto and have beaten my share of vehicles on the highway. The only mods I have are a K&N filter and CT-E exhaust which I think don't even do much. I agree with the rolling speeds comparison its a beast 60+. I can't wait till I put in headers, CAI, pulleys, Hi-flow cat and the other basic mods.

When people see my interior they don't believe it's a 01. Imagine if Acura made a coupe CL type coupe from 04-08.They need to bring back to bring back a coupe! I'll settle of the V6 Accord for now.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by eneffex
That is pretty sad if you still owe that much on an 03, and you want an ISF? smfh
Ya some funny dudes, At first i had a ill kind of love affair with this CL (i love my 94 Legend 3.5er 6sp)but over the last couple of months i have learned to love this car more.

I'm over the fact that Honda replaced the Leg with the CL(that hurt me bad back then), now i see her for her beauty. If that trans gives out then ill just find a swap doctor and get er done, otherwise i love it now, its a good car, I have a auto so i can imagine what a 6sp would feel like. Ima keep her around for awhile
Old 06-24-2011, 04:15 PM
03 acura cl type s

Originally Posted by eneffex
Yeah I'll pay it off next month and just save up I don't nessarly believe in car notes Iv owned this car since 05 with 10k on it my intrest rate is whT killed me but trust me I'm gooooood now.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:28 PM

Let me get this. You owe 8600 on a car since 05.

ISF = operation repo
Old 06-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Racer

Great thoughts! I really like my CLS6 and have 'played' with some faster cars, 2011 porsche cararra, 2008 shelby, and have been right there if not sliding ahead, though driver might be part of it. Mine is paid off and love that it is something not seen much, alot of 'what is that?'. I had thought a little about finding something newer, but your comments really did hit home. thanks!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is the best all around car I have ever owned, including 56/57 Chevies, 68/73 Camaros, 79 Accord, 89/94 Preludes... The CL-S is great on road trips, economical on gas, fast enough to get around traffic and handle bendy roads. It is an entirely satisfactory GT style car.... I have driven it for 6+ hours and the car is as quiet and smooth as it was at the start.

By comparison, I just bought a 2011 Mustang GT (6M 5.0L 412 HP), and its brute power is incredible (12.8 second quarter mile times STOCK), and for tooling around town and short trips both on the freeway and in the bendies, it's a lot of fun, and the technology installed is ever so sweet.

Longer trips are a bit more challenging as the suspension is tighter than the Acura, and can become tedious after about three hours, in spite of the remarkable quietness of the cabin. Still working out how to readjust to rear wheel drive, but I suspect when all is said and done, I will be able to drive it faster in the turns than the CL due to the stiffer suspension and more HP.

If I were forced to give one up, don't know if I could leave the CL...
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

I would get a 2011 gt mustang or 2007-8 350z any day over the cl-s, but if your broke like me, you just keep the old acura for some more luxury sport beatings...lol

Quick Reply: Why keep the CLS6