Old 05-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanted: Scrap (or a new set) brake rotors for a powder coating experiment

Two scenarios here

#1: I would like to get my hands on a scrap disc brake rotor that is either:

A: Cross drilled,
B: Slotted, or
C: Ideally, both cross drilled and slotted.

I will pay the freight charges to Glenview, Il.

I do not care what kind of car it comes from, I don't care if it is cracked, warped, missing a chunk of disc or whatever.

I am fairly sure that a powder coating will survive very easily in the slots and cross drilled holes. As a rule, powder coating cure schedules usually are about 375-400 F for about 10 to 15 minutes AFTER the disc reaches that temperature, so for a, lets say, 12 pound brake rotor, that thing will be in my oven for one hour to give it the acid test.

Can you ever imagine a situation where you can get your brake rotors up to 400 degrees and hold it there for one hour? I think not. If that is what you need just to get it on properly, Imagine how hot you would need to get to get the stuff to come off.

Further, any approach to 400 degrees actually reenhances the cure.

For visibilities sake, the test color will be an ultra stable, approved for outdoor use regarding sunlight and corrosion powder coating, the same kind I did Smittys calipers with, bright and (ugh!) orange in high gloss instead of his black.

The rotor will be completely orange everywhere, but after I get through with it on the lathe, I will remove the PC simulating the pad swept area. Then, the test begins. I will measure color and gloss on the hub. I will explain that later.

I will take the rotor back to 400 F for another one hour. Then 450. Then 500. Then 550, and then 600 for one hour each. Color and gloss will be measured at every interval.

Situation #2. If anyone is brave enough to offer up an new set of rotors, slotted, drilled or both, I will do this as a freebie for you, but now you pay the shipping. Color and gloss will be of your choice, but the paint chemistry is chosen by me. I know what works outdoors.

I offer this service as a freebie, because one good test is worth 1,000 expert opinions.

I am 99.5% CERTAIN this will work.

Now, someone please, send me a shit rotor. Check shipping costs, I will send you a check first.

And I know what you are thinking: if this is so possible, why do the disc manufacturers not offer this and charge a premium?

Easy answer. Too many colors to stock, unless you are always happy with black. I can custom match to your car.