Trading an 03 CLS6 for an 03 CLS6? Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trading an 03 CLS6 for an 03 CLS6? Am I crazy?

First: Read the thread, Nicky Pass, read you e-mail NOW, currently on page two. You can stop after the three wheel pictures, then come back here.

My 03 satin silver CLS6 has the top wheel finish, the black satin chrome. The powder coating was quite reasonable, $400 for four wheels. Let's not talk about shipping costs. I do research in powder coating for a living, and not just on the theoretical side. I know how to apply the stuff, and I understand its' tremendous durability and corrosion protection. So, I am at the dealer for an oil change, and they have not moved the car yet. In pulls an anthricite right behind me. My eyes start shifting from my wheels to his car, and back and forth again. I'll be damned if I'm gonna change my car for a color only, I mean, it IS brand new, only 7 months old, 11,700 on the clock, and not a single door bang. How do I justify an exchange?

After thinking about this, here is what I came up with: due to drugs, demon alcohol, and a constant parade of floozies in an out of the house, I've been having the time of my life! So, let's ADD A NAVI! Works for me!

Problem is, I am in NW Chicago burbs, and the car is in the columbus burbs. AND I find out there are only three anthricite 03 CLS6 navis left in the country. So, I bought the thing. I have to go to Ohio on monday to get the damn thing, but I was going there anyway, so, no biggie.

We traded for $7,150, and without adding needless details 11,700 miles on my silver cls was going to grow to about 20,000, as I have to COMMUTE(!) 800 miles every week between northern Illinois and Southwest Ohio for the next 16 weeks.

Opines on the deal guys? I am not worried about the money. I should be able to pay off the $7150+ interest in, I figure, five months or so. When the car is done (add a pinstripe, spoiler and rain guards for the windows (they are also dark gray), it should look pretty tight. Smitty: You are my picture posting guy, and thanks to all who tried to locate this car for me.

Intresting note: On the way down to the dealer to sign the papers, going through the intersection (I had the green), a Mercedes S500 rear ended a lexsus SUV, and the lexus missed my rear bumper by about three feet! Wow.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:16 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are crazy, can't you get an after market NAV for $2k
Old 06-20-2003, 05:19 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Go for it!!!!! You never want to regret not having the color, setup you want.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

it is totaly not worth doing this.

i already think its crazy to go from a 01 to 03 but i guess people really want the 6mt

but for a navi you will better off getting a aftermarket navi

sidemarker
Old 06-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe a tad bit crazy. However if it makes you totally happy with having the right color/nav setup that you want, then lifes to short to not be happy.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:37 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I contemplated the same thing for months, to trade my white 6sp for an anthracite 6 with Navi, but reason won out. I still would like to do it but the white color sure stays cooler here in the summer.
I tried to sell mine but got no takers. I did not want to trade-in for a wholesale price and let the f****** dealer make more money off me.
I've gotten to where I don't really like any of the CL colors that much. Black is nice but too much maintenance and heat.
Just not worth spending any more money I'd rather spend on other things.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:44 PM
BC
nearsighted visionary

Pictures please.......of the floozies.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
if money isnt the issue, the fuk it, do whatever you want.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:59 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by knv8
if money isnt the issue, the fuk it, do whatever you want.

Old 06-20-2003, 06:14 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Chaptorial
Maybe a tad bit crazy. However if it makes you totally happy with having the right color/nav setup that you want, then lifes to short to not be happy.

Not that I would do the same thing, but I stopped worrying about what other people do with their money a long time ago.

Enjoy it.

Anthracite is a GREAT color (my wife's first choice, my second) and I love my fully stocked CL Type S with Navi -- I would have not even considered this car it if it didn't come with the integrated navigation system or the six speed manual transmission. I don't think the dash looks right without the Navi, and I'd prefer the unit integrated from the factory over an aftermarket set-up.

And I happen to really like the OnStar cell phone. It's expensive when you compare to other cell plans, but I use a car phone somewhat sparingly so it's entirely worth it for the hands free, dial free, integrated set-up alone. Once again, you can do 'cheaper' with an aftermarket set-up, but I like that way this phone is 'hidden' in the rear-view mirror/stereo system...plus I like the OnStar peace-of-mind for the hopefully-I'll-never-use-it emergency links, theft deterrent system, and remote door-unlock features.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:22 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Do what ever makes YOU happy
Old 06-20-2003, 07:09 PM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

Now this is a cool thread to read, someone who's actually loco about their CLs and not bashing it cuz it doesn't have this or that!
Old 06-20-2003, 08:00 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

So you're gonna drive the new Anthracite CLS to and from N. IL and SW OH??? That makes you crazy.

Rent a car and don't put all those miles on your new whip.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
damn, with that commute are you considering a clear bra? (like xpel?)
Old 06-21-2003, 06:32 AM
Drifting

To each and all, starting with Nashua, assuming this whole thing does work (buying a car two states away), give me ten days to get the car pinstriped, and my original wheels back, and pictures posted. I'm taking a stab here, but I think this look is gonna make me the relative envy of this board. Nicky has personally seen my wheels, Is a wheel (and a car) freak, and I think his fertile Imagination will offer an opinion. And Nash, this is a color thing. Remember, I paint/powder coat for a living, so this issue is sensitive to me. I plan to post Satin silver/black pearl wheel pictures (before) and anthricite/black pearl wheel pictures (after) if this deal pans out. I think the change will be pretty dramatic. In my opinion, the present silver car and smoked chrome wheels kinda "clash".

Side: I agree. There are better navis out there, but I don't want an add on. Besides, this is my first visit to naviland, and I am sure the first vist there will educate me to what to look for in the next car. Life works in "cycles". Compared to the 03 Accord, the Acura CLS navi may be dated, but boy, do we have one hell of a car, engine and transmission compared to the same car.

Slimey: I will probably NEVER use the onstar cell phone. My company provides me with a cell phone, all the tools to use it hands free, and pays the bill! In fact, I never see the bill, so why incurr another cost? And hopefully, I never will have to use the emergency features of this system.

Nicky: You're gonna like your wheels. If you want anything else powder coated, I'm your guy. Calipers? I'm thinking about it.

Scrib: Cars were meant to be driven. I don't want no hanger queen. Besides, whats the difference? If we were counting scheckels here, I suppose you are right. But come thanksgiving, the silver will probably be the high mileage king of us here, where with the anthricite, I'll be middle of the road with regards to mileage.

I suppose the only really ironic thing about this whole thing is this: the day I signed the papers for the anthricite is the same day I got the title in the mail for the silver. I know this is not a prudent financial move. But it is about getting what I want. The proof will be in the pics.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:56 AM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

You gotta do what you gotta do. I say right on ! I went all out in the first place so I didn't have to make any decisions later. Regretting is bad... being happy is good. Do whatever makes you happy
Old 06-21-2003, 12:08 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's your money, and if you have it to spend, and it's gonna make you HAPPY, DO IT!!!! Just don't look back!!! The main thing is, DO NOT REGRET what you did!!! If you don't, it's ALL GOOD!!! Make sure you post TONS of pics!!!

Personally, I think your rims are gonna look WAY BETTER on the Anthracite than on the Silver!!!!

PLAY ON PLAYAR
Old 06-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Drifting

Aztech: I am really looking forward to it. I should have "this was my car, and, this is my car" pics posted by 6/29 or so. I think the transformation will be dramatic. On top of that, I have the clear gray Weathertech window rain gurads for the door windows, and I am thinking of tinting the windows.

I screwed up on the silver CLS6. When I test drove the damn thing, as compared to my little RSX-S, I had to have the damn thing RIGHT NOW, and my only choices were silver and black, and although black is probably as pretty as you can get, the combination of the darkest color and high gloss means every little scratch is magnified. Not going there.

New car buying is mystifying. I bought the RSX-S two days before 9/11/01, and I was perfectly patient until the car arrived, the friday following thanksgiving. The CLS6, I had to have now!

Considering the cost of this car, it aint, cheap, I should have stepped back, picked the color I wanted (actually, at that time, I wanted the blue) and another $3K for a navi and the spoiler wouldn't have killed me. It was just such a quantum leap to go from a 23K RSX to over 30K. But, if I got the blue, I'd still be in the same boat? When I bought the CL, I had no idea the black satin chrome technology existed or that I would apply it. So, it's a wash. Certainly smarter now.