Tint Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 11:59 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Tint Problems

Hey all -

Just got my car tinted yesterday. I think I'll like it eventually; it needs to grow on me.

The guy who did the install said to leave it outside for a day to let the glue adhese to the window. Ok, no problem. But what I've noticed is there are quite a few bubbles, either the soap & water he used when installing or air bubbles. He said that they'll come out in a couple of days with the help of the sun. Is that the case, or will I need to call him back to get these things out? I'm sure I could do it myself, but I don't have the tools he was using yesterday; i.e. flexible plastic scrapers to smooth out the tint.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tint Problems

hmmmm... where are the bubbles at??

Make sure and look really close for contamination between the glass and tint, such as specs of dust or anything, if this is present the bubbles are there to stay (Unless redone).
Old 07-21-2002, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
definitley wait a few days, if bubbles persist....bring it back! With all the humidity we're having in chicago, I wonder if that makes a difference or not...
Old 07-21-2002, 01:15 PM
Administrator Alumnus

For example..
Old 07-21-2002, 01:23 PM
Racer

now one thing i can tell you those are not gonna go away even if you leave it on the sun for a year
Old 07-21-2002, 01:26 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by vsokolov
now one thing i can tell you those are not gonna go away even if you leave it on the sun for a year
Ok, so what can be done then short of pulling it off, running the chance of fucking up my rear defroster/antenna lines, and putting on a new one? Can't those be pushed out with the right tools???
Old 07-21-2002, 01:52 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoa, i just got mine done on Friday, i better check and see how it's adhering.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Slower traffic keep right

Whoever did that tint job needs to be

I'd make them redo that back window. How's the rest of the car look? Is it that bad all the way around?
Old 07-21-2002, 01:57 PM
Safety Car

Whoa! those "bubbles" are not coming out take it back immediately! the can still work them out.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
some of those look kinda large, but they do say the moisture will go away after a few days. if the bubbles don't start to look better tomorrow take it back and show the guy. worst that could happen is he would have to re-do it.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Ooh yeah

Well as tint dries it shrinks a little... he thinks those bubles are going to disappear?... wrong... I got them too and the focker is redoing my rear window for free... all the other windows came out perfect... Some jackass told me to get a pin and poke them...LOL... I just laughed... Don't poke them, the tint will shrink with time and heat.... Go back and have him redo them if he guarantees his work.. Mine has a lifetime guarantee and he will retint that back window till he gets it right... I paid 175 no tax... I think I got a great deal...

Smitty
Old 07-21-2002, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

It shouldn't look that way... I agree with those who said it wouldn’t go away.

It should be "hazy" for a few days, not "big bubbly."
Old 07-21-2002, 03:47 PM
Administrator Alumnus

For the most part it looks good, with the exception of the back window. I'll give it through tomorrow and then I'll call him. He said if I wasn't 100% happy with it, he'd take care of whatever I ask him to. And he told me to call him on Tuesday regardless, to let him know how I like it, looks, etc.

Anyone have any feeling if this can be resolved WITHOUT a re-tint? A guess???

If this does require a re-tint, how will this affect my rear defroster/antenna??? I really don't want that to get fucked up.

Thanks all!
Old 07-21-2002, 03:48 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Scrib
For example..
Take it back ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is just not right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2002, 04:17 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The bubbles on the back window aren't the kind of bubbles that go away!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2002, 04:51 PM
Racer

Ok, so what can be done then short of pulling it off, running the chance of fucking up my rear defroster/antenna lines, and putting on a new one? Can't those be pushed out with the right tools???
you are not going to fuck up any thing even if you redo your back window million times
Old 07-21-2002, 05:11 PM
Safety Car

For the most part it looks good, with the exception of the back window.

If this does require a re-tint, how will this affect my rear defroster/antenna??? I really don't want that to get fucked up.

Thanks all!
Back window is the hardest to do because of its curvature and it looks like the installer had trouble with that—make him fix it He should have known that wouldn't go away!

I have a problem with small contamination in one area (tiny specks) on my glass, so its being re-tinted next week. I'm a little worried about the defroster as well. We'll see how it goes :P
Old 07-21-2002, 05:28 PM
Subie Dubie

I double checked mine today and it looks great. They told me 3 days before the haze goes away.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:05 PM
Pro

Mine has alot of those contamination specks also. The problem is I am too lazy to get it re-done! The tinter said they would re-do it though. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:49 PM
Safety Car

I found around 10 specks (size of sand grains) and a hair that looks to be one belonging to my cat I am only redoing it because I want it perfect!! Otherwise it looks fine and no one else would find the area unless I showed it.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:31 PM
Team Owner

Looks like you’ve already been told a few times, but YES, that is a BAD tint job.
Small bubbles will go away in a few day’s but those are there to stay.

Make them pull the tint, clean the glue off the window and reapply.
If they do it right, there shouldn’t be any problem with the defroster lines or radio antennae.
As long as they use solvent & cleaner instead of sharp objects to get the old stuff off.

Shawn S
Old 07-21-2002, 08:41 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Uggg....

I'm pretty pissed off right now...

As everyone here graciously informed me of the OBVIOUS (I'm fockin' retarted), none of that shit came out.

The back window is just plain awful. After standing back and looking at the whole window at once, the top (where the black bubbles are), is horrible looking too... I can almost stand there and count them from a distance. Son of a...

So, here's what I'm left with...

a) He can redo the back window and HOPEFULLY get it right, although my confidence in this dude is really low. What I'm concerned about is, that he'll do it again and it still won't be right. Then I'd be left with another shitty job.

b) After my first tint experience, I'm not all that crazy about it. Yeah, the poor job has left a bad taste in my mouth, but the overall look isn't what I thought it would be. The 30% on the driver's windows are nice, but the 20% is just too dark. I'm debating about just ripping it all off and considering this a 140 dollar lesson.

I'd take some pics, but to be honest I'm rather ashamed of the way it looks. I'm almost too embarrased to take it to the train station tomorrow.

This freakin' sucks...
Old 07-21-2002, 09:24 PM
Team Owner

Well, I don’t know what the issue is with the tint percentages that you don’t like, but it doesn’t sound like this place is capable of doing the rear window correctly.
If I were you, I would just try and get some money back for the rear window.
Go somewhere else that someone in your area recommends and have it redone THERE.

In their defense, back windows are the hardest part of the car to do.
But if you’re paying, it should be done right.

Shawn S
Old 07-21-2002, 09:33 PM
Pro

Here's some advice for your situation. It's similar to mine. Just have a talk with the tinter, but make sure you approach them in a nice manner. You don't want to demand anything because they at least tried. Give them another chance and if they mess up, ask them to pay for a re-tint from another place. Just something I am using with my tinter. Hope it helps.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Shawn S

I would just try and get some money back for the rear window.
Go somewhere else that someone in your area recommends and have it redone...

Shawn S

This is along the lines of what I would do.

Just tell him you are really unsatisfied and want your money back for the back window and then have the back done elsewhere. This way you won't be out the whole thing as long as the sides look okay.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:58 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Originally posted by nate'sCLS

This is along the lines of what I would do.

Just tell him you are really unsatisfied and want your money back for the back window and then have the back done elsewhere. This way you won't be out the whole thing as long as the sides look okay.
If he has this done, he has to make sure that the new person uses the SAME EXACT tint, or else it won't match!!! You might even have the same tint, but a different lot number and it still won't match!!!!

Get the guy to redo it. If he screws it up again, then make him pay to have someone else redo it and take a roll of tint from the original shop with ya!!
Old 07-22-2002, 01:03 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by AztecRol

Get the guy to redo it. If he screws it up again, then make him pay to have someone else redo it and take a roll of tint from the original shop with ya!!
But with such a poor job on the 1st job what would you expect on the 2nd ?? :sqnteek: :sqnteek: :sqnteek:
Old 07-22-2002, 02:43 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

But with such a poor job on the 1st job what would you expect on the 2nd ?? :sqnteek: :sqnteek: :sqnteek:
For him to do it RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2002, 08:51 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Well, I spoke with the tinter who did the crap-ass job this past weekend. I explained to him my disappointment in the job and described to what was wrong with the back window. Since is does a one-piece install, when he was shrinking the film, he shrunk it too much. Those lines, evidently are clear signs of that, or so he says. So, he's coming out Thrusday to do whatever is needed to remedy the situation, even if it requires a re-tint.

I'm still not sold on the whole look of it yet. Maybe once it's done RIGHT, I'll enjoy it a bit more.

Thanks all.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
have him do teh rear in 30% too, that would be better.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:07 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Well, I spoke with the tinter who did the crap-ass job this past weekend. I explained to him my disappointment in the job and described to what was wrong with the back window. Since is does a one-piece install, when he was shrinking the film, he shrunk it too much. Those lines, evidently are clear signs of that, or so he says. So, he's coming out Thrusday to do whatever is needed to remedy the situation, even if it requires a re-tint.

I'm still not sold on the whole look of it yet. Maybe once it's done RIGHT, I'll enjoy it a bit more.

Thanks all.
Keep us posted Scrib!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 12:23 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by AztecRol

Keep us posted Scrib!!!!!!!
^ As always-- Aztec lookin' out ^
Old 07-23-2002, 12:26 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

^ As always-- Aztec lookin' out ^

DAYUM STRAIGHT!!!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 12:38 AM
Safety Car

Old 08-04-2002, 02:03 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Well... I just got back from getting the car retinted. It took over 2 hours just to get the back window done. The glue was a royal pain in the ass. But the guy was patient and did a great job. He retinted my back window and two rear windows with 30% to macth the front two. It LOOKS much better.

There are a few small bubbles, but they're shrinking by the minute in the hot Chicago sun.

Anyone in the Chicagoland/Indiana/Michigan area that's looking to get tinted, let me know. I'm pretty satisfied, even with the mess up the first time around. I'm sure anyone who's gotten their back window tinted can attest to the fact that it's NOT easy. Especially a one-piece job. And it's comforting to know that if there is something wrong, he gaurentees his work 100%. Good stuff...

Eric

Old 08-04-2002, 03:57 PM
Pro

What method did the tinter use on the back window?
Old 08-04-2002, 06:32 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by briancl
What method did the tinter use on the back window?
Prepped the window...

Cut the film to the size and shape of the back window.

Used a heat gun to shrink the film.

Removed the backing off the film, and took it inside the car.

And then put it up.

Squeegie (sp?), squeegie, squeegie...

I'm assuming this is standard for the one-piece approach???
Old 08-05-2002, 12:42 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Much better!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2002, 01:03 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Well... I just got back from getting the car retinted. It took over 2 hours just to get the back window done. The glue was a royal pain in the ass. But the guy was patient and did a great job. He retinted my back window and two rear windows with 30% to macth the front two. It LOOKS much better.

There are a few small bubbles, but they're shrinking by the minute in the hot Chicago sun.

Anyone in the Chicagoland/Indiana/Michigan area that's looking to get tinted, let me know. I'm pretty satisfied, even with the mess up the first time around. I'm sure anyone who's gotten their back window tinted can attest to the fact that it's NOT easy. Especially a one-piece job. And it's comforting to know that if there is something wrong, he gaurentees his work 100%. Good stuff...

Eric

GOOD TO HEAR!!!!
Glad you are happy!!!

BTW, it looks AWESOME!!!!!
Has anyone ever told you to get SPRINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:P :P :P :P
Old 08-05-2002, 01:19 AM
Safety Car

Likewise... I had my rear window re-done last weekend too because of the small contamination issue before mentioned. It feels good to have it perfect
BTW: Anyone ever tell you that is a beautiful color...
ohh and like Aztec said... drop that biotch

Quick Reply: Tint Problems