Swap '01 CL S seat w/ seat from different model Acura? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Swap '01 CL S seat w/ seat from different model Acura?

Old 11-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

Swap '01 CL S seat w/ seat from different model Acura?

I know there may be a few questions about why contemplate such an option, but I'm hoping to find somebody with knowledge of the CL's bolt patterns on the floor, and if there's a seat from another vehicle model made by Acura ('01 MDX, '01 TL, or the '03 CL, for example) with a comparable patern that would allow the CL seat to be swapped out and remain safe and functional? If any, please advise.

Additionally, feedback on the crossover functionality of all the associated seat components/electronics would be crucial info and appreciated as well.

Thanks so much.
heyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

99-03 tl seat should be a direct swap. if you have side air bags look for one that has them obviously. 98-02 accord coupe seats should also cross over.
03-6/6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

I know why you most likely want to change seats. My seat motor broke and I got lucky finding a 2001 CL in a u pull it place with a seat in good shape. Pulled it and put it in my 2001 CL. I had one motor go and couldn't get it to work again with another motor form a junk yard. Don't know why just changing out a bad motor didn't work????
CoreyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

Getting the frame to bolt up should be easy. Any similar year accord or 99-03 to or cl should work. The problem you'll fimd is with the plugs so the electronics will work. You need to cut the plug off the donor car that the seat plugs into as you will need to make a custom plug for the seat to plugin. The pinout diagrams can be found on Google or I have them at home somewhere if you can't find them. I sold a seat from an 03 cl to a guy with an 01 cl and the plugs were different but I made my own plug usimg the described method. Good luck. Tax seats are almost identical to cl type s seats.
Jonathan Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

Though I needed only the lower cushion for my CL, I picked up a seat from 02 TL off eBay, upper and lower frame, cushions, headrest, and wiring, for $120. The lower cushion appears a little different in design, but function > form in my opinion. I'll post an update once I've had a chance to install.

Thanks to those on the forum here, taking the time to respond. I appreciate it a lot.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Registered Member

03 cl seat

I went to swap an 03 seat in my 01....main connector had changed in 03!! Just sharing my experience. Same brain but the harness must have changed; I'm sure you could swap harnesses' though
A Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #7
Registered Member

I picked up a seat from an 03 TL and it worked, but not entirely. The TL seat didn't have the lever on the upper left side that puts the seat forward, probably because it's a two door vs four door. Ended up removing the lower cushion and leather from the old seat and replacing it with a new seat cushion and leather from the new seat. This allowed me to keep the upper and lower frame, upper cushion with lever, brain, wiring harness, and airbag from the original seat. Additionally, the seatbelt buckles are different. The clip from the TL is larger then the clip from that CL, thus the buckles weren't going to be compatible. Basically it wasn't a straight swap. I had to piece together a seat from both vehicles. Everything is looking good now.
The Following User Says Thank You to heyjon For This Useful Post:
ProfessorFunk (01-13-2018)