Supercharging the CL-S 6spd - Final HP(estimate)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 10:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supercharging the the CL-S 6spd - Final HP

Thanks for the pictures from the Comptech source. This pretty much confirms what their R&D department has been saying. This thing will hit the streets in December!!!

The compression on the Type-S motors are a hefty 10.5:1. I strongly doubt Comptech will up the boost to anything over 6psi. My turbo prelude (10.0:1 compression) started having blow-by 6 months of boosting 8psi. Then again, I did overboost a few times... but the supercharger can never boost higher than the regulated amount without physically changing the pulley diameter.

It looks like Comptech will be suppying the following the blower, intake-plumbing, ice-box gadget, fuel regulator (boost-dependant) etc.

I am curious as to how they are going to do the engine management. The MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensor on Hondas/Acuras does not like boost. The dirty way to fix this is to move the MAP sensor via a hose from the plenum and put a bunch of one-way valves. The elegant way to fix the problem is to do it electronically - which I am sure Comptech will. GM provides a MAP sensor that works with positive manifold pressure (used on the old GN's). Another question will be ignition-timing. Is there some work to the ECU to mange boost-dependant retard on the timing. I trust Comptech will be concentrating on these last two items to maximize the gains from the S/C prior to releasing it. Since these S/C's will be available through Acura dealers (including installation) I am sure Comptech will be extra-cautious as usual so as to not have a plethora of blown CL-S's arrivng for warranty repairs (of course with the supercharger removed!! :-))

I estimate the final # to be 345 front-wheel hp. This translates to a hefty 400hp at the crank - right there with the M5, 911 turbo, C5 Z06 and Ferrari Modena.

Street tires.... 13.3 in the 1/4. This car requires you to launch ridiculously low (~2300 rpm) to get a sub-6s 0-60, so forget any type of launch with the S/C. Slicks... and a good clutch... we are seeing mid 12's baby!!!!

I want to hear what the predictions from the other folks on this board are.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To fix the MAP problem heres what you'll use:

E.S.M. (Electronic Signal Modifier)
$149.00
NEW!
This adjustable switch is commonly
used to keep the ECU from seeing a boost
signal from the MAP Sensor when you are adding
a turbo or supercharger to a car that didn't come that way.
Can be used on any car or sensor up to 3.4 volts.
Easy4 wire hookup. Comes adjusted for Honda/Acura
MAP voltage signal, but is easily adjusted to
needs of other cars. Universal fit.
Not subject to CARB certification.

Old 09-02-2002, 10:49 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Supercharging the the CL-S 6spd - Final HP

Originally posted by allmotor_2000
Thanks for the pictures from the Comptech source. This pretty much confirms what their R&D department has been saying. This thing will hit the streets in December!!!

The compression on the Type-S motors are a hefty 10.5:1. I strongly doubt Comptech will up the boost to anything over 6psi. My turbo prelude (10.0:1 compression) started having blow-by 6 months of boosting 8psi. Then again, I did overboost a few times... but the supercharger can never boost higher than the regulated amount without physically changing the pulley diameter.

It looks like Comptech will be suppying the following the blower, intake-plumbing, ice-box gadget, fuel regulator (boost-dependant) etc.

I am curious as to how they are going to do the engine management. The MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensor on Hondas/Acuras does not like boost. The dirty way to fix this is to move the MAP sensor via a hose from the plenum and put a bunch of one-way valves. The elegant way to fix the problem is to do it electronically - which I am sure Comptech will. GM provides a MAP sensor that works with positive manifold pressure (used on the old GN's). Another question will be ignition-timing. Is there some work to the ECU to mange boost-dependant retard on the timing. I trust Comptech will be concentrating on these last two items to maximize the gains from the S/C prior to releasing it. Since these S/C's will be available through Acura dealers (including installation) I am sure Comptech will be extra-cautious as usual so as to not have a plethora of blown CL-S's arrivng for warranty repairs (of course with the supercharger removed!! :-))

I estimate the final # to be 345 front-wheel hp. This translates to a hefty 400hp at the crank - right there with the M5, 911 turbo, C5 Z06 and Ferrari Modena.

Street tires.... 13.3 in the 1/4. This car requires you to launch ridiculously low (~2300 rpm) to get a sub-6s 0-60, so forget any type of launch with the S/C. Slicks... and a good clutch... we are seeing mid 12's baby!!!!

i think your hp figures seem a bit optimistic
Old 09-02-2002, 10:52 PM
Sold 12/29/04 :-(

Well Said.

Old 09-02-2002, 11:04 PM
chronic lurker...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That should just be standard equiptment.

A supercharger on every CL-S 6spd.

Old 09-02-2002, 11:14 PM
:)

... and auto....
Old 09-03-2002, 01:40 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
To fix the MAP problem heres what you'll use:

E.S.M. (Electronic Signal Modifier)
$149.00
NEW!
This adjustable switch is commonly
used to keep the ECU from seeing a boost
signal from the MAP Sensor when you are adding
a turbo or supercharger to a car that didn't come that way.
Can be used on any car or sensor up to 3.4 volts.
Easy4 wire hookup. Comes adjusted for Honda/Acura
MAP voltage signal, but is easily adjusted to
needs of other cars. Universal fit.
Not subject to CARB certification.

I'm pretty sure that the S/C comes with it!
Old 09-03-2002, 02:32 AM
Pro

Originally posted by pofi
... and auto....
Old 09-03-2002, 04:27 AM
TRELOS

Yea that would be sweet. Acura plans on revising their '04 CLSs so hows about haveing the '04 CLP, CLS, and "CLS-SC" . For an additional 4K + $30K for the CLS u get a warrantied, preinstalled CT SC.

But what is CT doing to allow the 6MT put all that power to the wheels. I mean where is that high performance clutch?

Juker008
Old 09-03-2002, 07:22 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
thats a lot of horses
Old 09-03-2002, 07:44 AM
Banned

If used correctly you can run higher boost. Maxima guys run 10-12psi now without problems. They have 10:0:1 compression as well on the VQ.

Old 09-03-2002, 09:25 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I WANT ONE...........
Old 09-03-2002, 10:30 AM
TRELOS

Re: Re: Supercharging the the CL-S 6spd - Final HP

Originally posted by SilverBullet
If used correctly you can run higher boost. Maxima guys run 10-12psi now without problems. They have 10:0:1 compression as well on the VQ.

I'm assuming that those Maximas have intercoolers to cool all that additional air. I would be hard for me to think that a Maxi could handle 10-12 PSI with just a better fuel system.

Juker008
Old 09-03-2002, 10:34 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Supercharging the the CL-S 6spd - Final HP

Originally posted by Juker008

I'm assuming that those Maximas have intercoolers to cool all that additional air. I would be hard for me to think that a Maxi could handle 10-12 PSI with just a better fuel system.

Juker008
Some do, some don't. Personaly I would rather have one.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

I am curious as to how they are going to do the engine management. The MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensor on Hondas/Acuras does not like boost.
It is not that the sensor doesn't like the above ambient pressures, it can read it just fine. The ECU trips a DTC when the signals goes over a certain voltage. As previously mentioned, the ESM will be provided with the system which effectively clamps the MAP output voltage when the voktage exceeds this value.

That might be a bit optimistic, IMO. With a standard motor and other basic mods it should be in the 310 - 320 range. But with a worked motor, lower CR with more boost, etc. 345 - 350 could be achevied.

With slicks, the rear springs blocked and a perfect launch I do feel 12's can be realized. But for maybe only one or two passes when the clutch finally goes south...
Old 09-03-2002, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by scalbert
But for maybe only one or two passes when the clutch finally goes south...
I agree with scalbert, the clutch is not going to be able to handle that power.....

Smitty
Old 09-03-2002, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

How about ignition timing?

Thanks for the clarification on that... I just referred to the MAP sensor/ECU as a single entity. Although the stock MAP sensor cannot read much over a couple psi of positive manifold pressure.. maybe 1/2 a bar at most - the ECU is a different story.
A lot of high-boost cars (20 psi, 30 psi, whatever) run the GN map sensor which works upto 2-3 bar. I think HKS, Greddy might have their own versions.

One last concern of mine is ignition timing on this supercharger setup. Provisions for fuel are adequate (for 5.5 psi, the upgraded fuel-pump and regulator work fine) and the ESM takes care of the ECU. Does Comptech rely on the factory knock-sensor to retard timing? This car, along with the NSX uses direct ignition... so its not a trivial (most the distributor a notch or two) to do the timing. On the NSX, there's a trick where the ignition timing can be adjusted (retarded or advanced) quite easily - the trick is drilling through some plastic and a metal plate to find the igntion control module's adjustment point. I am not aware of the CL-S having this.

Any clues?
Old 09-03-2002, 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: How about ignition timing?

One last concern of mine is ignition timing on this supercharger setup.
This we'll have to see on. However, these cars pull timing pretty well as the IAT sees higher numbers. Maybe the've found that due to the unavoidable increased manifold temps that the ECU pulls enough timing. Otherwise the knock control might get a work out...
Old 09-04-2002, 03:29 AM
TRELOS

Originally posted by scalbert

That might be a bit optimistic, IMO. With a standard motor and other basic mods it should be in the 310 - 320 range. But with a worked motor, lower CR with more boost, etc. 345 - 350 could be achevied.
CR???

Juker008
Old 09-04-2002, 09:11 AM
Racer

Juker008,

Compression Ratio....the type S is 10.5:1

Dean
Old 09-04-2002, 01:47 PM
TRELOS

Stupid (Juker008) :rooleyes: