AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G CL (2001-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/)
-   -   Still misfiring and still extremely frustrated! (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/still-misfiring-still-extremely-frustrated-974982/)

3.2beast 11-18-2018 10:29 PM

Still misfiring and still extremely frustrated!

Hey guys, I have a 2003 Acura CL as a somewhat project car that needs work. I have been misfiring on all cylinders since July and I posted on here asking for help around that time. Some suggested that I do a valve adjustment. So I did the valve adjustment with my auto tech teacher(Honda tech for 25 years), replaced all coils and plugs, fuel injectors and did a compression test. Now I’m still having a misfire on cylinder 4 and don’t know what else to do. I’m thinking it could be some type of electrical or wiring issue. Also if you have not seen my last post I’m having issues with the anti theft system as well, I don’t think it’s related. Any suggestions would help thank you!

justnspace 11-19-2018 06:17 AM

are the cats good? have you done a leak down test?

johnboy1313 11-19-2018 08:45 AM

Check the PCV Valve.

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/348707-2004-ody-run-rich-poor-mileage-slight-hesitation-acceleration-no-cel.html

3.2beast 11-19-2018 03:54 PM

Hey guys, I just scanned my car again and only cylinder 1 and 4 are misfiring. One thing I noticed is that many people with Honda v6 engines on the internet are also only getting misfires on their 1 and 4 cylinder aswell. I don’t think this is a coincidence...

HigherRiser 12-06-2018 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by 3.2beast (Post 16334913)
Hey guys, I have a 2003 Acura CL as a somewhat project car that needs work. I have been misfiring on all cylinders since July and I posted on here asking for help around that time. Some suggested that I do a valve adjustment. So I did the valve adjustment with my auto tech teacher(Honda tech for 25 years), replaced all coils and plugs, fuel injectors and did a compression test. Now I’m still having a misfire on cylinder 4 and don’t know what else to do. I’m thinking it could be some type of electrical or wiring issue. Also if you have not seen my last post I’m having issues with the anti theft system as well, I don’t think it’s related. Any suggestions would help thank you!

Very easy fix. The intake manifold gasket is upside down. Flip it. While you're inside there take some brake cleaner & clean up those nasty carbon deposits. Many of these CL engines have this problem. Not sure how the gaskets were flipped in the first place but it's an easy fix. Misfires resolved--all of them.

3.2beast 12-22-2018 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by HigherRiser (Post 16345461)
Very easy fix. The intake manifold gasket is upside down. Flip it. While you're inside there take some brake cleaner & clean up those nasty carbon deposits. Many of these CL engines have this problem. Not sure how the gaskets were flipped in the first place but it's an easy fix. Misfires resolved--all of them.

Unfortunately this is not the case as I recently just checked those gaskets. I made sure they were installed properly. Also if anyone else has any more suggestions that would be greatly appreciated as this car will have to be my daily driver again soon.

Angrybear 12-28-2018 02:43 PM

Mines misfiring.
found a bad coil. Replaced it. Still misfiring. cel back on.
egr ports and itself replaced and cleaned. Plugs good as r the other coil, when tested.

Thought this car was problem free!

Karanx7 12-28-2018 03:28 PM

An OBD2 scan tool telling you which cylinders are misfiring isn't reliable. There's only 1 knock sensor and it doesn't really do a good job of determining which cylinder is misfiring.

You said your mechanic did a compression test, but didn't bother to mention the results. You said he replaced the spark plugs, but didn't specify which kind. If you want help, you need to be detailed.

Is the misfire continuous even at idle? If so, you can easily identify the offending cylinder by sequentially disconnecting and reconnecting coil packs while listening for a change in idle quality.

If compression is good, the next step is to check for spark. If there is compression and spark, check for fuel (rare problem on these engines). If you have all three, make sure your timing is correct.

3.2beast 12-30-2018 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Karanx7 (Post 16356632)
An OBD2 scan tool telling you which cylinders are misfiring isn't reliable. There's only 1 knock sensor and it doesn't really do a good job of determining which cylinder is misfiring.

You said your mechanic did a compression test, but didn't bother to mention the results. You said he replaced the spark plugs, but didn't specify which kind. If you want help, you need to be detailed.

Is the misfire continuous even at idle? If so, you can easily identify the offending cylinder by sequentially disconnecting and reconnecting coil packs while listening for a change in idle quality.

If compression is good, the next step is to check for spark. If there is compression and spark, check for fuel (rare problem on these engines). If you have all three, make sure your timing is correct.

I have done the method of diagnosing the misfire that you described. I disconnected all the coil pack wires one by one. I then noted whether or not it affected the idle rpm/sound and as it turns out it was cylinder 4. I have switched around all the coil packs and spark plugs to make sure that wasn’t the cause. I then did a compression and leak down test. Although I didn’t note the specifics all of the cylinders where within each other. I then bought a new fuel injector and replaced cylinder 4’s, it still misfired. I then switched around the fuel injectors yet cylinder 4 still didn’t affect the idle. Recently my auto tech teacher(former Honda tech) and I did a fill valve adjustment which got rid of the random misfire code but cylinder 4 was still misfiring. And between everything I did I pulled the clock fuse to clear the ECU. I am genuinely at a loss, any ideas?

Karanx7 12-30-2018 05:48 PM

Like I said, if compression is good then the next step is to check for spark. Switching the coil packs and spark plugs isn't checking for spark. What if the wiring to the coil pack is bad? You need to actually verify cylinder 4 is getting spark with a proper tester.

Also, you stated you did a compression and leak down test, but were too lazy to write down the numbers? " All of the cylinders where within each other" doesn't make any sense. Were they all 50psi compression? 100? 200? No point in doing a test if you don't know the results.

Kind of stupid to buy a new fuel injector without first verifying spark, but this again doesn't verify there is fuel. Could be a wire harness cut to the fuel injector.

The good thing is that you have a true dead cylinder 4. Since it's not an intermittent problem, it won't be difficult to diagnose or fix.

3.2beast 12-30-2018 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Karanx7 (Post 16357253)
Like I said, if compression is good then the next step is to check for spark. Switching the coil packs and spark plugs isn't checking for spark. What if the wiring to the coil pack is bad? You need to actually verify cylinder 4 is getting spark with a proper tester.

Also, you stated you did a compression and leak down test, but were too lazy to write down the numbers? " All of the cylinders where within each other" doesn't make any sense. Were they all 50psi compression? 100? 200? No point in doing a test if you don't know the results.

Kind of stupid to buy a new fuel injector without first verifying spark, but this again doesn't verify there is fuel. Could be a wire harness cut to the fuel injector.

The good thing is that you have a true dead cylinder 4. Since it's not an intermittent problem, it won't be difficult to diagnose or fix.

Sorry there was some thing I didn’t mention. For example I used an inline spark plug tester on all the cylinders and all of them lit up. So I was quite certain I was getting a spark, however I will do the test again tomorrow just to verify. And compression for all the cylinder were between 170-190 PSI in all cylinders. If it helps I can run the test again and get you exact numbers sometime next weekend.

Karanx7 12-31-2018 04:08 AM

Seems like you have verified spark and compression. That leaves fuel to test, but hopefully you find something while you double check spark and compression.

Angrybear 12-31-2018 07:14 AM

Check egr. My gasket was upside down, blocking egr holes

3.2beast 12-31-2018 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Angrybear (Post 16357379)
Check egr. My gasket was upside down, blocking egr holes

That was one of the first things I checked. Unfortunately that wasn’t the issue.

3.2beast 12-31-2018 10:34 PM

Hey guys, I was driving the car this morning and I noticed a slight burning smell. It was the same smell I smelled when the misfire first started. I then went home and popped the hood and some a slight amount of smoke coming from the back of the engine bay, possibly the exhaust. It smelled almost like burned rubber. I don’t think I have any belts slipping and it didn’t smell like burning coolant or oil. Any ideas what it could be. Tomorrow is my day off and one of my few chances to work on the car.