stabilizer bars=sway bars=anti-roll bars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 03:16 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stabilizer bars=sway bars=anti-roll bars?

does the type-s have stock sways or are these "stabilizer bars" just the strut bars that are on top of the engine bay?
Old 08-06-2001, 03:19 PM
Pro

The Type S have sway bars (aka Stabilizer bars). The strut bar is not a stabilizer bar in that sense.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:22 PM
Pro

Originally posted by FDao:
<STRONG>The Type S have sway bars (aka Stabilizer bars). The strut bar is not a stabilizer bar in that sense.</STRONG>
ah...ok...i guess i couldnt tell...so we have both a strut bar and sways...

now, what are anti-roll bars? another name for sways or another name for strut bars?
Old 08-06-2001, 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Cee eL eS:
<STRONG>

ah...ok...i guess i couldnt tell...so we have both a strut bar and sways...

now, what are anti-roll bars? another name for sways or another name for strut bars?</STRONG>
sway bars
Old 08-06-2001, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i think sway bars are technically anti-sway bars, 'cuz they reduce sway, not make more.

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: mrdeeno ]
Old 08-07-2001, 04:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
then what a strut bars? can someone enlighten me?
Old 08-07-2001, 05:04 AM
Instructor

Anytime u add a cross member to con-joining members, u increase the structural rigidity of that entire construction of members because u added resistance to the flexing of the construction of the members at directional changing points (90 degree changes, 45 degree changes, etc.), or perhaps even in the middle of these connection points.

For example, a Square made out of Tubular steel would be easier to crush together compared to a square made of out tubular steel with added cross members joining all 4 corners like n "X". I can't explain the actual physic laws behind this but I'm sure there is some (Wow, physics class in HS went in one ear and out the other ).

The easiest way of doin this to increase the structural rigidity of the frame of the car seems to be by connecting the two top mounting points of the suspension to the frame, together with a metal bar. This is a "strut bar", or front tower bar, or tie bar. By increasing the rigidity, u decrease the frame flex that can be induced by hard cornering (caused by the momentum of the outer edge of the car flexing and stretching towards the outer edge of the turn vs. the inside side of the car, and I believe it's also related to the outer edge lagging behind in the total turn arc over the inner edge of the car, making it lag behind and flex the frame, maybe??), which causes a reduced reaction time to steering input. By adding a strut bar, u decrease the response time to steering input, making the car more "responsive" to input, think quick lane changes and immediate reaction to one's movement of the steering wheel. Other such modifications are cross members for the lower frame, as well as the cross members that are a part of the stock CL Type S Strut bar, that attach the strut (really shock towers) towers to the firewall area of the frame, or "lower tie bars", which attach the two lower control arms together I believe (As seen on the rears of Civics everywhere with DC Lower tie bars). I believe this also not only increases response to turning, but also increases "turn in" overall, but don't quote me on that.

Anything I left out guys or didn't explain that great or any terms incorrectly implied, please fill in...

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: -=SoCalV6=- ]
Old 08-07-2001, 02:06 PM
Instructor

strut bar connects the top of your struts... usually in engine bay and in trunk.

Sway bar = stabilizer bar=anti-sway bar all go under your car and connect to the frame.. and endlinks...

Swaybars will generally give you a much more noticeable handling difference... it will make the car feel much more rigid, stiff and neutral.... if you want to make a big handling difference.. go with sways first.. then shocks, then strutbar