So you want a ct icebox?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
So you want a ct icebox?

It's 15 years later and they are practically non existent anywhere used unless you are constantly searching like now ebay has 2 one for the type s 6mt.....350 dollars. http://m.ebay.com/itm/03-Acura-CL-S-J32-6-Speed-MT-Comptech-Icebox-High-Flow-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit-CAI-A-/322597957636?fits=Make%3AAcura%7CModel%3ACL&hash=i tem4b1c563004%3Ag%3AET0AAOSwFntZbSNi&_trkparms=pag eci%253A5df5b337-83b2-11e7-9b64-74dbd1803588%257Cparentrq%253Af2e6765915d0aa12eafa f186fff8d2e3%257Ciid%253A1

the others a base model automatic version for 230 shipped

so I got creative after looking at the photos and modified my stick airbox to look like this
Old 08-17-2017, 08:45 PM
Instructor

Old 08-17-2017, 08:50 PM
Instructor

A 4 inch blinglights universal intake takes like no modification.
..fits perfectly through the front on the modified airbox and pls 3rd the cone filter in the ideal spot

I will take a pic of it installed in the daylight.....the red coupler gets replaced with either a 3 inch velocity stack or a 4 inch velocity stack gets attached to the coupler on the bottom of my modified airbox. Oh and you can't run the stock filter or the cone filter won't fit..
..duhh!!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:43 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
They are valuable because of the brand and rarity. There is nothing special about the box itself. You could make one similar to it, but it offers nothing more than any other CAI.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:48 AM
Instructor

I DO UNDERSTAND that the value is because if the rarity. But with the ease of simply copying the design you can accomplish the same thing for much less cash. In my case for example, I used a universal intake so it's really like a SRI and adding the plastic box will quiet it down and it will be a CAI since it will draw air from a new location.

I'm definately not saying this is better, I just know personally how hard to find they are.....yesterdsy was the first time I've seen a type s 6 speed icebox on ebay since I've owned the car.

I'll be happy simply to reduce the resonance caused by the SRI
Old 08-22-2017, 05:19 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Comptech icebox is way too restrictive for me.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:51 PM
Instructor

I've seen ur autocross vids and u are correct. Your car is one a whole nother level...love the Swiss cheese btw for lightning purposs. Trying to help out some newer people that dont have a clue. IIRC the icebox added a couple hp ove the regular cold air intakes....i went a lil larger 4 inch were CT used 3.5 inch and 3.5 where they used 3 one for the air horn on the bottom of their box. Ive just seen some of the threads about pvc "ghettotakes" this is a much better option I think and it retainsnansomeonenstock look whilenaddingnthe performance of a CAI. Mines was SRI style and living in fl the intake temps were too high for gains IMO.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:07 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually bought the $230 one last month off ebay for my 2003 CL-S 6 speed. It was in pretty rough shape but it had the horn the goes on the bottom which was missing from the more expensive one. I cant make a direct comparison to a CAI or Ram intake but my 99 TL lost low end torque when going from stock to a ram air intake, but this ice box seemed to add torque and increased my throttle response. There's no hum at idle like I had with the ram intake or by just removing the resonator on the stock intake.
However, it was a bitch to install even though the seller insisted it would fit a 6 speed (he didn't know what he was talking about). Alot of trim and a brace had to be removed.
Overall, I'm glad I got it. I bought it for the rarity and I ended up getting some performance gains while keeping the intake sound close to stock.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't understand what's so special about the icebox. Why not just get an AEM intake? Last I checked they're still fairly easy to find. Let's face it not many of us are really racing these cars, the horsepower difference between one or the other from the improved airflow is really not that significant and AEM is a very reputable brand.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:31 AM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by DMateo
Don't understand what's so special about the icebox. Why not just get an AEM intake? Last I checked they're still fairly easy to find. Let's face it not many of us are really racing these cars, the horsepower difference between one or the other from the improved airflow is really not that significant and AEM is a very reputable brand.
The AEM would make more power. It would also sound better in my opinion. The CT has the name, rarity, and OEMish look. Personally, I only run it because it's made to fit the supercharger.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't forget about CARB for us Cali folks.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by Karanx7
The AEM would make more power. It would also sound better in my opinion.
I agree. There have been a few in the past who have cut-up/modified other CAI's to get 'just a little' more S/C'er whine in the cabin.. I wish I could stumble upon a cheap CAI for the 6-speed and do a little experimentation, hehe

The CT has the name, rarity, and OEMish look. Personally, I only run it because it's made to fit the supercharger.
Speaking of your supercharger, I've seen a pic of your set-up in a thread somewhere on here and must say your engine bay is clean, especially with that aluminium radiator. Also, that looks like an M62 on your J35A3? If so, how much boost have you 'tweeked' it to run with your tuned AEM EMS box? And, performance wise, what are your impressions?
Old 10-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Advanced

The AEM would make more power. It would also sound better in my opinion. The CT has the name, rarity, and OEMish look. Personally, I only run it because it's made to fit the supercharger.
didn't realize you had a blower on yours. Now that its come up I might get an intake myself. Thoughts on the v2?
Old 10-09-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
why not spend half of what a V2 goes for and build your own 4 inch diameter intake.
a 4incher will give the most gains
Old 10-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by DMateo
didn't realize you had a blower on yours. Now that its come up I might get an intake myself. Thoughts on the v2?
The V2 is an awesome CAI. If you have a TL-P, then I wouldn't bother with anything else. It doesn't fit the Type S though.
Originally Posted by zeta
Also, that looks like an M62 on your J35A3? If so, how much boost have you 'tweeked' it to run with your tuned AEM EMS box? And, performance wise, what are your impressions?
Yea, I'm just using the M62 to get a solid setup and tune. After I'm happy with it, I'll swap it out for the M90 and install the Scalbert intercooler.

I'm actually having a huge problem with belt slip. I'm using the High Boost Pulley (which should increase belt contact area), but the belt will still slip badly. Sometimes it even jumps a rib, gets chewed up, and take half of the accessory belt with it. Have you done anything to help stop belt slip?
Old 10-09-2017, 06:33 PM
Advanced

https://www.aemintakes.com/mobile/product.aspx?prod=21-419C

I guess this is my only option. Didn't realize the v2 didn't fit the type s. I have an 03 auto cl-s. Love the car but wish I would've gotten a 6spd. For $1900 from a $4500 ask I guess beggars can't be choosers. The auto let's my girlfriend drive it home in the event I've had one too many so I guess it works for me.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Yea, I'm just using the M62 to get a solid setup and tune. After I'm happy with it, I'll swap it out for the M90 and install the Scalbert intercooler.
OMG, that brings back memories, lol. Where on earth did you get one of those after all this time?

I'm actually having a huge problem with belt slip. I'm using the High Boost Pulley (which should increase belt contact area), but the belt will still slip badly. Sometimes it even jumps a rib, gets chewed up, and take half of the accessory belt with it. Have you done anything to help stop belt slip?
I believe I can help you.

In a nutshell , when I had my S/C'er Kit installed back in 2005, in the morning on a 'cold start', I would get this horrible 'clicking' from under the hood. On one of those days, I was able to get the hood open so I could see WTF was causing this clicking and found/witnessed the blower belt 'jumping' the shaft pulley, to the right as you stand in front of the car, which caused the 'clicking' sound. The blower, as it was installed on the car was to far to the 'left', even though the blower bracket was correctly flush at the cam cover on the head.

You can correct this one of two ways either by shifting the 'shaft pulley' the desired distance (left or right) to correct the alignment or place 1mm washers at each of the four allen head bolts, at the snout, to shift the SC'er unit right, in my case. Ronjon had the same problem when he put his blower on, years ago, and this method helped him bring his into alignment, although it is more work because you have to remove the blower and then remove the four allen bolts, place the washers, reassemble at the snout and put the blower back on the car. IF you have another 'daily driver' and can get an impact gun with a swivel head on the shaft pulley bolt to loosen that would allow you to find the right size 'spacer' to fit at that pulley to dial in the alignment. That would surely be the easier route. Sorry for the verbose reply; however, if your belt is 'jumping' to the right this may remedy the issue.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ey-1mm-467775/
Old 10-09-2017, 08:28 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
I also remember ronjon used a spray on his belt to stop it from slipping. Pretty sure it was in his tuning thread.