So who dumped their OEM CD player/radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 03:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
So who dumped their OEM CD player/radio?

I had my CD player crap out on me a few months back. I had all 6 discs in the CD changer, tried to eject them all one at a time, once it got to the 5th disc, the disc got stuck, wouldn't eject, then it gave me an ER-E1 code. Tried banging on the sides of it, then after that didn't work, I just left it alone for a couple days. Then I turned it on one day and it worked without a hitch.

Now today, something different happened. Tried putting a CD in slot 4, it just sat there, scanning the disc for an unusually long time, so I just switched to disc 5, then I hear things moving around for about a minute or so, then it stops, gives me an ER-E1 message again. Weird thing is this time it let me eject discs 1-4 again! Earlier I tried again, thinking I'd have the same luck as last time. Nope, still gave me the ER-E1 message. When I pressed the eject button for some reason it brought up an empty slot to eject. When I turned the power off, I could hear it moving around inside, then a couple snaps, now it says I don't have any discs in slots 5 & 6. I wouldn't be surprised if the CD player broke them...

So anyways, the point of this thread. I'm sure the whole console will need to be replaced. I think my extended warranty might cover it. So if it does cover it, would it be worth it? I'm fine with the sound quality of the OEM setup, I just don't know if I'd want another one if it'll crap out on me like this one has.

And if you put in a new setup, which one did you get? Reason I'm leaning towards a new OEM one is because I don't want any empty gaps in the center console. Looks cheap, IMO. So are there any CD players/in-dash GPS units that would take up the whole space of the OEM console?
Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapture
I had my CD player crap out on me a few months back. I had all 6 discs in the CD changer, tried to eject them all one at a time, once it got to the 5th disc, the disc got stuck, wouldn't eject, then it gave me an ER-E1 code. Tried banging on the sides of it, then after that didn't work, I just left it alone for a couple days. Then I turned it on one day and it worked without a hitch.

Now today, something different happened. Tried putting a CD in slot 4, it just sat there, scanning the disc for an unusually long time, so I just switched to disc 5, then I hear things moving around for about a minute or so, then it stops, gives me an ER-E1 message again. Weird thing is this time it let me eject discs 1-4 again! Earlier I tried again, thinking I'd have the same luck as last time. Nope, still gave me the ER-E1 message. When I pressed the eject button for some reason it brought up an empty slot to eject. When I turned the power off, I could hear it moving around inside, then a couple snaps, now it says I don't have any discs in slots 5 & 6. I wouldn't be surprised if the CD player broke them...

So anyways, the point of this thread. I'm sure the whole console will need to be replaced. I think my extended warranty might cover it. So if it does cover it, would it be worth it? I'm fine with the sound quality of the OEM setup, I just don't know if I'd want another one if it'll crap out on me like this one has.

And if you put in a new setup, which one did you get? Reason I'm leaning towards a new OEM one is because I don't want any empty gaps in the center console. Looks cheap, IMO. So are there any CD players/in-dash GPS units that would take up the whole space of the OEM console?
I put a fold out in mine back when i had my CL-S6 back in 03' when there was no dash kit. We had to fabricate on. It looked ok. I went with fold outt so the screen would be higher near my line of site. I had a Clarion with Sirius and dvd with Dolby II/DTS. PM me if you have any questions...
Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,140 Likes on 4,807 Posts
There are plenty of radios that will fill the entire space. You're looking for a double DIN unit if you want that.

I ran a Pioneer Avic F90BT but that it died on me this past summer. This is what it looked like though:

Old 12-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Lives in Boost

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I went with the Clarion max675vd. It's been about 4 or 5 years running strong. Lots of folks on here get their double din kits made by Travis (uncald). I prefer aftermarket over oem. Couldn't deal with those jamming discs any longer and you can just plug in an ipod and go.
Too lazy to post pics but they're here...
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-photograph-gallery-53/over-years-pics-galore-773133/
Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
The stock Bose unit is absolute garbage, go aftermarket and there are mass produced kits available for 20 bucks or so.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CL-Future
I went with the Clarion max675vd. It's been about 4 or 5 years running strong. Lots of folks on here get their double din kits made by Travis (uncald). I prefer aftermarket over oem. Couldn't deal with those jamming discs any longer and you can just plug in an ipod and go.
Too lazy to post pics but they're here...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773133
The double din screens sit too low. The foldouts open blocking the a/c controls but once you set them, you rarely touch them again so that didnt bother me. Youn also gain a pocket under the deck to have access to items quickly like wallet bor small bills. Another thing is whrn out the car, you can close it and remove the buttons making it useless if taken out the car. The double din def says "HEY LOOK AT ME"...

Last edited by ParaSurfer1979; 12-17-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Lives in Boost

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
The double din screens sit too low. The foldouts open blocking the a/c controls but once you set them, you rarely touch them again so that didnt bother me. Youn also gain a pocket under the deck to have access to items quickly like wallet bor small bills. Another thing is whrn out the car, you can close it and remove the buttons making it useless if taken out the car. The double din def says "HEY LOOK AT ME"...
Sits too low? We're listening to music not watching tv . I'm a tall guy and I have no issues with the double din being low. I haven't had an issue *knock on wood* with security. Mine is pretty stealthy with the tints and is actually hidden better BECAUSE it sits lower.
I was going to go with a flip out screen but didn't like them, they draw more attention imo. And if someone steals your unit they leave you with the buttons/face and you have to replace the unit either way lol, whether you have a flip out screen or stationery double din.
To each his own though, all about preference.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:51 PM
2003 CL-S 6MT

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Less chance of them stealing the unit without a face; they don't know what it is and its pretty useless without the face; too risky to try and find for the unit to sell it therefore it makes it hard to move. That said civics double din looks awesome. I have a Alpine CDA 9887 their top of the line deck from a couple years ago, I love the sound and operation, as far as looks go I wish the bezel fit better around it.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CL-Future
Sits too low? We're listening to music not watching tv . I'm a tall guy and I have no issues with the double din being low. I haven't had an issue *knock on wood* with security. Mine is pretty stealthy with the tints and is actually hidden better BECAUSE it sits lower.
I was going to go with a flip out screen but didn't like them, they draw more attention imo. And if someone steals your unit they leave you with the buttons/face and you have to replace the unit either way lol, whether you have a flip out screen or stationery double din.
To each his own though, all about preference.
Most want navi when buying these. I wasnt promoting watching videos.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Ugh, I feel like such a clueless noob So is the kit just kind of the holster that the console sits in, so it'll fit properly?

And are they kinda universal? Like if I were to buy this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-FH-P80...sr=8-3-catcorr
would I need a kit for that specific model?
Old 12-17-2010, 02:58 PM
2003 CL-S 6MT

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just go to crutchfield.com its an awesome site. Go to the Car Audio/Video & GPS drop down menu then to Outfit My Car it will tell you everything you need for a specific model head unit and the kit that will fit that head unit and the car.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Safety Car

Ooh, nice! Thanks!

btw noob question again. Am I limited with what I can purchase if I have an underdrive pulley? or is that if I go out and buy a whole new system, subwoofers, etc.?

Last edited by Rapture; 12-17-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Lives in Boost

Most want navi when buying these. I wasnt promoting watching videos.
No worries, makes sense
Old 12-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Lives in Boost

Ooh, nice! Thanks!

btw noob question again. Am I limited with what I can purchase if I have an underdrive pulley? or is that if I go out and buy a whole new system, subwoofers, etc.?
I think it's more about how much power your stereo system will be using that answers that question. If it draws too much you might want to consider a regular stock size lightweight pulley.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:44 PM

If youre not running any amps the underdrive pulley wont make a difference.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Safety Car

^Good! Only trying to replace the console.

btw considering this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CX60...9.html?tp=5684
Old 12-18-2010, 12:10 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of clarions new stuff, recently sold through a large amount of their video decks (NX500 and VX400) and I think everyone of them came back for service.

If your looking for a double din size receiver I recommend this one
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105KWXR...ch=JVC&tp=5684
price is a bit more but I've had ton's of good experience with it and it comes with bluetooth (not sure how important that is for you guys but talking on your phone while driving up here is now an instant $172 fine)
Old 12-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

^Good! Only trying to replace the console.

btw considering this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CX60...9.html?tp=5684
ohhhh so you dont want a screen w/ navigation. Now i understand. That deck is fine to me. Are you getting clarion speakers too? Reason why I ask is because stock Bose speakers are 2ohm and will play very quiet at max volume. You need to swap to 4ohm speakers.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
i was looking at the Eclipse E726 a while back and decided to buy my DSLR but now my HU is dying on me again i want something good not really expensive. any recommendations ?
Old 12-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StreetKA
i was looking at the Eclipse E726 a while back and decided to buy my DSLR but now my HU is dying on me again i want something good not really expensive. any recommendations ?
Eclipse is no more to my understanding. I couldnt find this deck. What did this deck include so i can find something similar.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:08 PM

ohhhh so you dont want a screen w/ navigation. Now i understand. That deck is fine to me. Are you getting clarion speakers too? Reason why I ask is because stock Bose speakers are 2ohm and will play very quiet at max volume. You need to swap to 4ohm speakers.
You dont need to swap the speakers. Just get this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SOEM...tml?search=pac

You're going to wire it into the sub harness that connects the factory chassis harness to the new radio. Its very simple to wire in and it comes with instructions. Since youre not adding amps, you dont have to worry about the RCA outputs.
The following users liked this post:
Rapture (07-25-2011)
Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Safety Car

Well I'm definitely not gonna play at max volume In fact I only keep my volume on my Bose system at about 4 or 5.

but yeah I dunno if I'd get that or a navigation setup. Are there any good multi-disc changers out there, or will I have pretty much the same situation as I get with the stock Bose?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Banned

Well I'm definitely not gonna play at max volume In fact I only keep my volume on my Bose system at about 4 or 5.

but yeah I dunno if I'd get that or a navigation setup. Are there any good multi-disc changers out there, or will I have pretty much the same situation as I get with the stock Bose?
thats a die'g breed. you really dont need a changer since you can fit almost 200 mp3/wma tracks on 1 disc or just use mp3 player/thumb drive. On newer car stereos.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
I am using the metra kit for our car single din. I have a flip out alpine iva-d300 screen. I also have the alpine navi hooked up and a box that lets me play my ipod/iphone on it.

You can get like an alpine or other brand dvd changer and put it in the trunk, but now most people just plug in a mp3 player.

I would also replace the amp and speakers at the same time but thats just me.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Safety Car

Well I don't even have an MP3 player. As a matter of fact I sorta....refuse to get one.. I just own too many CDs to just put them on an ipod then dump them in the trash.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:34 AM
Banned

Well I don't even have an MP3 player. As a matter of fact I sorta....refuse to get one.. I just own too many CDs to just put them on an ipod then dump them in the trash.
whon said prople dump nthem in trash? mp3 player is a way to take your music everywhere while leaving your cds safetly at home. How old are you? was gonna say you must be over 40 but even my 63yo mom has mp3 player and thumb drive to hook up in here MDX Never thought id see the day where my mom would be more advanced than a male in my generation but you learn something new everyday they say right .
Old 12-21-2010, 03:58 AM
Safety Car

^Because if I had an ipod I would have absolutely no use for the CDs that I spent massive amounts of time searching for and buying off the net. Some I had to look for almost a year before I found a copy in good condition (for less than an arm and a leg) It's a sentimental thing, really.

Preferring a physical copy of the music over a file on a computer doesn't make me "old" either. :\

anyways update (sorta) my CD player works just fine if I insert or play discs 1 - 4. It still says there's nothing in slots 5 & 6. Weird...
Old 12-21-2010, 04:26 AM
Safety Car

Meh, there really are no multi-disc changers Oh well... I'd rather have to swap CDs than deal with a pos disc changer anyways.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:53 AM

Shockingly, CDs still get stolen out of cars. If they hold that much value, Id want to keep them at home anyway. Not trying to talk you out of it. I wouldnt waste my money on an iPod. Most headunits have a usb port, so you can get a usb stick and put all youre music on that. USB sticks are cheap too. And you wont lose the quality as long as you rip the CDs onto your PC at 320bit rates.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
I still use my cds sometimes and use my iphone as a mp3 player also. It is hard to get out of old habits and you start not wanting to accept new trends. Shows that i am getting old too Like the whole tweeter/facebook thing i have never used and this new wheel trend with too big of wheels that you angle 45 degrees to get to fit).
Old 12-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Ugh, facebook and twitter

I refuse to have an account on there.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

Same. I don't even see the point of facebook and twitter. It all just seems like it's supposed to be a big time-waster. If I have too much time on my hands, I probably wouldn't spend it posting about what happened at the grocery store 5 minutes ago.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Ugh, facebook and twitter

I refuse to have an account on there.
Odd. Thats how i keep in touch with my h.s. and college class as we've all moved all over the country. I'm shocked you refuse this great communication outlet. I'm by no means a fb whore as i check it once a week and not every hour of the day.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:24 AM
Banned

Same. I don't even see the point of facebook and twitter. It all just seems like it's supposed to be a big time-waster. If I have too much time on my hands, I probably wouldn't spend it posting about what happened at the grocery store 5 minutes ago.
It a social network to keep in touch with friends/family all over the world. You do realize you're bring a hypocrite as Acurazine is a social network to some capacity... lolol. I guess some members here could comment that you have; no life to have '1350 posts. Im at 604 after being here sincg J8une and Driveacord.net i have 2500n posts in two years. nSo what 'does that make you? ha ha ha... It's all relative. Different people lke different things. Please try not to judge. I'm not saying you are but it sure comes off that way. There are a LOT of families that comunicate with loved ones thjat travel a lo0t whether it be military or on business. Did you ever think about that?

Last edited by ParaSurfer1979; 12-22-2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Suzuka Master

The only reason for me to have fb is that i have great comunication with friends from europe.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:14 AM

Odd. Thats how i keep in touch with my h.s. and college class as we've all moved all over the country. I'm shocked you refuse this great communication outlet. I'm by no means a fb whore as i check it once a week and not every hour of the day.
I want nothing to do with most of my highschool class. The people I do keep in touch with I still hang out when I can or talk to on gtalk/text messages.

It took me about 2 years to get a Myspace page, and once I did Facebook became all the rage. I said fuck it.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Lives in Boost

^Because if I had an ipod I would have absolutely no use for the CDs that I spent massive amounts of time searching for and buying off the net. Some I had to look for almost a year before I found a copy in good condition (for less than an arm and a leg) It's a sentimental thing, really.

Preferring a physical copy of the music over a file on a computer doesn't make me "old" either. :\

anyways update (sorta) my CD player works just fine if I insert or play discs 1 - 4. It still says there's nothing in slots 5 & 6. Weird...
The one good thing about an iPod or any other music storage device is that you can copy your CD's to them and have a backup so in case that CD collection gets stolen/lost/damaged etc, you still have it in digital form and it's easily transferable. Just throwing that out there. I had a huge CD collection too but I feel safer knowing I have my music collection on two different PC's and an iPod.
And yes, Twitter and FB suck
Old 12-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I want nothing to do with most of my highschool class. The people I do keep in touch with I still hang out when I can or talk to on gtalk/text messages.

It took me about 2 years to get a Myspace page, and once I did Facebook became all the rage. I said fuck it.
haha wer you teasted by the other kids...lol. See I guess you didnt move on to see the world and stayed home after college. It's cool. we all have different agendas.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:09 PM

haha wer you teasted by the other kids...lol. See I guess you didnt move on to see the world and stayed home after college. It's cool. we all have different agendas.

Most of my highschool class was either theater kids, pot heads, or "gangstas". Three groups I wanted nothing to do with.

I moved out of NY 6 months after graduating high school. Im making a shit load more money then I would have been if I stayed.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

where the efff you are working at ?? i'm want move out of this shit too

Quick Reply: So who dumped their OEM CD player/radio?