Shimmy/shake when braking @ 60mph+

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Shimmy/shake when braking @ 60mph+

I installed Brakemotive slotted/drilled rotors and pads back in early June. I followed the bedding instructions EXACTLY as described. I also replaced the front calipers with dual piston, Acura Legend calipers and had the car bled manually three times during the upgrade, and then vacuum bled just a week or two ago by a local shop.

Braking is great @ 60mph and less but 60mph-80mph braking causes the steering wheel to shimmy/shake, just like it did with my old, warped (at least I thought they were!) rotors. Any ideas if the problem is the rotors or if it is bearings or something different?

This is really frustrating
Old 07-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
bracket bolts on there tight?

i'm starting to think that its our knuckles that have a microscopic bend at the caliper bracket mount puts the calipers at a slightly different angle than the rotor.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nspec_ya4
bracket bolts on there tight?

i'm starting to think that its our knuckles that have a microscopic bend at the caliper bracket mount puts the calipers at a slightly different angle than the rotor.
Should be but I'll check the bolts this week.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Racer

I'm having the same problem, but more so at about 50 mph and above. I had my front rotors turned and one was out much more than the other. I pulled the brake pads out and sanded them to make sure there were no high spots. I never disconnected the brake line so did not need to bleed the brakes. All the mounting bolts are tight and the lug nuts. I could really use a little help, it is worrying me a bit! Thanks guys.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Racer

I have deduced that it is NOT a rotor problem in my case. It is something else in the suspension.

Additionally, when I do brake at 60mph+, the wheel shakes - my foot doesn't shake as applied to the brake pedal - therefore, the rotors aren't the issue...

But still, I dunno what it is .
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Racer

I agree, the shake is not at my foot, it is in the steering wheel. I have a company car so my CL doesn't get driven much. This shake has just shown up. I did find my rotors warped some, but no issue in turning them. I'm wondering if the rotors being out has caused something else to be out, thus when turning the rotors, changing the pads etc, does not solve the problem. did not see anything loose when I had the wheels and rotors off. Confusing!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
I got the same thing but mostly noticable when i do 80+ and step on brake hard then my steering wheel shakes like f crazy. I think thats rotor if not balance on wheels what else it could be? Bad tire?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Your wheels need to be balanced.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:47 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
IF it ONLY happens when braking it CANNOT be the balance of the wheels. end of story

If you only have a vibration when you hit the brakes, it's more likely than not going to just be the brakes.

my rotors are warped at the moment and when i hit the brake and the rotors are hot the wheel shakes and the pedal doesn't feel anything significant.

the rotor can be warped, then wheel will shake, but that does not mean the pedal will be obviously differentiating/pulsing. it is likely but not for certain.

if it's really bad it'll be in the pedal tho.. if it's rotors.

OP i had the same issue with the first set of brakes I installed.. thought it was the pads... bought new ones. then i just bought new DBA rotors and that took care of that.

If your pad/rotors aren't 100% bedded. you could potentially get a steering vibration under minimal braking at high speeds. (seen that before). but i'd think in three months u'd have driven enough the bed those in period.

wheel shakes a little say breaking from 80 to 60 under minimal pedal pressure,.. or if you hit the brakes hard, it won't happen at all.

make sure to mentally Note when the shaking occurs... temperature... mileage uve driven before it starts.

try see if it's always constant. Or if heat play a roll

If you think it's the bearing(s): Jack the front end of the car off the ground and with the wheel firmly bolted on use your hands and try turning the wheel while car is off the ground. There should be NO play whatsoever. If you notice a little bit of movement. you got a problem

hopefully that'll help point u in the right direction bro. cheers
Old 09-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
IF it ONLY happens when braking it CANNOT be the balance of the wheels. end of story

If you only have a vibration when you hit the brakes, it's more likely than not going to just be the brakes.

my rotors are warped at the moment and when i hit the brake and the rotors are hot the wheel shakes and the pedal doesn't feel anything significant.

the rotor can be warped, then wheel will shake, but that does not mean the pedal will be obviously differentiating/pulsing. it is likely but not for certain.

if it's really bad it'll be in the pedal tho.. if it's rotors.

OP i had the same issue with the first set of brakes I installed.. thought it was the pads... bought new ones. then i just bought new DBA rotors and that took care of that.

If your pad/rotors aren't 100% bedded. you could potentially get a steering vibration under minimal braking at high speeds. (seen that before). but i'd think in three months u'd have driven enough the bed those in period.

wheel shakes a little say breaking from 80 to 60 under minimal pedal pressure,.. or if you hit the brakes hard, it won't happen at all.

make sure to mentally Note when the shaking occurs... temperature... mileage uve driven before it starts.

try see if it's always constant. Or if heat play a roll

If you think it's the bearing(s): Jack the front end of the car off the ground and with the wheel firmly bolted on use your hands and try turning the wheel while car is off the ground. There should be NO play whatsoever. If you notice a little bit of movement. you got a problem

hopefully that'll help point u in the right direction bro. cheers
Sorry, I've been out ofit all day today...I didn't even read "braking" in the title...All I saw was shimmy and shaking at 60...my bad.

And yeah, I have warped rotors atm as well, but my pedal doesn;t shake at all.. Now the steering wheel on the other hand, thats a dfferent story.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:01 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

tru.. what rotors/pads you gonna put on...
front and rear or just front?

I'm debating whether to do the whole car or just the front. still scratching my head over that one.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

They're stock right now...Im thinking ET500's and some slotted rotors in the front and et300's with blanks in the rear...Maybe SS lines, but still unsure.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

SS lines i just have not even thought about. I know it makes a difference in pedal feel and reduces brake fad a bit. But I don't do a bunch of hard stops in a row to make it worth my while. My brakes stop on a dime even with the slightly warped rotors.

i think DBA fronts with hawk pads all around, and then some slotted EBCs. I'm gonna ride out the rear rotors till the pads get low then i'm gonna grab pads and rotors... make it worth my while.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:31 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I say it's warped rotors.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Racer

I've been reading all the answers and still think the answer is not there. My problem started all of a sudden, not after changing pads (bedded answer) or if caliper bolts are loose. Thinking it was the rotors, I did have the fronts turned, one was a bit warped, but once installed, the problem was still there. I rotated wheels front to back and no change. ALL of my wheels are getting hot, though the fronts hotter. I did bed them after re installing the rotors with no change. I do hear like a dragging noise, sounds like the front wheel, but can't find anything and car rolls well. I have not checked to see if the rear rotors are warped, but read earlier that the backs don't get used enough to get hot enough. Still in need of help!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

k well if it's not the rotors, pads, tires(flat-spots, deformation), rims (bend(s)), then the only other thing it would be is the front bearings are going... and or axle(s).
Old 09-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Racer

k well if it's not the rotors, pads, tires(flat-spots, deformation), rims (bend(s)), then the only other thing it would be is the front bearings are going... and or axle(s).

I did rotate tires, and problem still there. With the car jacked up, I grabbed the tire and had no play at all in it, which should indicate the bearing are not worn. I have not checked the back brakes but read that could not be the issue. Any more thoughts??
Old 09-12-2010, 08:11 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Did you wire brush the shit out of the wheel hubs? the slightest amount of rust or anything could cause "run out" which is what ur describing technically.

DO u have an auto? do ur rpms do anything funny when it this happens. could be trans related somehow when it's disengaging. slim possibility but in all honest. I'd have to say it's pads or rotors related..
Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 PM
03 : cls6 - ABP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought if the shake is in the wheel it's the fronts and if it's in the pedal it's the rears..? i just know that i upgraded to drilled slotted and ... i got wheel shake again, maybe a year later.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Racer

All right, I was finally able to get my car to my Acura shop, (not dealership) and had him figure out the issue. First the noise is a wheel bearing going bad. The more important is the shake. It ended up being a rotor still warped. I also got an answer to the comment that my dealer told me about having to have the rotors turned on the car only. As I thought, that is BS. It's the same as a new set of rotors, they were not turned on the car.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by nspec_ya4
i'm starting to think that its our knuckles that have a microscopic bend at the caliper bracket mount which puts the calipers at a slightly different angle than the rotor.
i still believe that is what causes our rotors to warp so fast.
every single CL i've owned has had some kind of rotor warping problem. Some times, it will be super slight to where you can only notice it at high speeds.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 PM

IF it ONLY happens when braking it CANNOT be the balance of the wheels. end of story=
iirc, very minor off balanced wheel (which doesn't shake at 60mph) will shake very slightly when braking.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my car does the same thing over 80-90+. i got my from and rear brake pads fixed as well as all 4 tires rotated and it has happened once since that but i was doing 120+ but try that it should do the trick.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Damn, I just notice a very similar problem this morning!!!
I just did both rotors (centric) and brakes (ceramic), decent set up front only tho. The car felt flawless for about 4 days. But this morning on the highway on a downhill going 60/65 I felt the steering shake again. When I stopped I felt both rotors and they felt smooth...And this only happens on a mild braking, not at full brake or if I'm going below 40.

Couple things! I did not bled the lines and don't when were they bled last...maybe 2-3 years ago. Also it seems the calipers are the originals and I have about 150K. Last, my drivers side strut(shock) feels like is going bad...

Where do I start??? Caliper? Bleeding?? ......

Thanks for the help!