Shawn.m 01 Cl-S updates and go fast

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
tires got balanced - still suck

had a issue during a really big rain storm we had - started cutting out. parked it for the moment and will pull the coil pack plugs
tried front three - all work. need to try back three when its not dark to see if one of them is the issue.

went ahead and ordered a 2006 odyssey tranny for $750 shipped to my door. thinking the cl will get the av6 and then move the 5at over to the TL.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:25 PM
Instructor

New tranny

Getting excited ! coming from Oregon so should only take 2-4 days
Attached Thumbnails Shawn.m 01 Cl-S updates and go fast-dsc02941.jpg   Shawn.m 01 Cl-S updates and go fast-dsc02942.jpg   Shawn.m 01 Cl-S updates and go fast-dsc02943.jpg   Shawn.m 01 Cl-S updates and go fast-dsc02944.jpg   Shawn.m 01 Cl-S updates and go fast-dsc02952.jpg  

Old 02-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Tranny showed up. Looks in good shape. Converter was included and looks good. No heat Marks on it.
Finishing up two other projects in my shop and then will pivot to this.

Also bought a set of 4 235/45/17 tires for $50. When I take the tires off the cl I will see how stuck the stock tires are to the rims. If. Their not bad I will change them out myself and then go get them balenced.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:26 AM
Instructor

Well it looks I am also having the p0134 and dieing issue.
Basically 30 seconds after starting it would die. Recover and then be good for about 15 minutes. It finally threw a p0134 high o2 sensor. Odd as it was dieing like it was running out of gas.
Put new NGks irudum ix plugs in and checked the coil packs. All packs firing is that is not the issue.
Also pulled top plate and egr off. Blew out passages. They were pretty clean.
The old plugs were really good, good brown color. Cleared code,and also pulled clock fuse to reset computer.
Took it out for a drive, didn't die at first. Ran well for for first 10 minutes, then died for a moment. Ran it hard and it went hard. Got wheel spin during 1-2 shift.
Ran it up to 110 and it just pulled hard the whole way. If the pump was bad it should have stumbled or misfired. It didn't.
Then it died hard for about 30 seconds. Feathered it and it caught and ran hard again.
No codes. So decided to order a new fuel pump and fuel,strainer. Only $68 delievered , half of autozone.
Have a spare fuel pressure regulator off the original motor. So will try that next.
Also pulled rims and tires, went into truck. Also the 235/45/17 tires in the truck. Hopefully get SAMs club to mount them tomorrow.

I have a really complete professional fuel pressure gauge set and it doesn't have the correct adaptor for the Acura. Need to find that so can test.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Tres mounted and balenced $80 later

Brought them home and mounted them up

Stopped at Napa and bought a Delphi fuel pump with Bosch filter .. Bosch filter was all they had.
Also bought a fuel pump relay as a back up.
Pulled it apart and put it all back together. The relay was a hassle. Not sure if it was needed but bought for another $58 as it has been identified as a risk factor. I can always move it to the tl if needed.

Then took it for a drive.no bog on start. Good. Then it bogged about 30 seconds. Pulled over and loosened gas cap. Then took a long drive and it ran fantastic. Slow speed, high speed and varied speed. Also the brakes were much better. It had more vacuum for the booster.

The tires are a huge a improvement! Loving them
Old 03-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Instructor

so its still bogs for the first minute of run time and then clears up - leaning towards the EVAP container and the vent valve.
as when i pulled the return line off the tank to put in the fuel pump it had vacuum

think might also replace the 02 sensor back to the one that was on the car. The bosch O2 sensor has 15 days of warranty on it left, will probably replace that also. still getting p0134 after clearing it.
Its acting like gas is not getting to the motor.
Frustration as after it clears the car runs great.
Think i have time this weekend to start swapping out the transmission. Need to get on this so that I can put this transmission in the TL. Which lets me decide if I want to sell the TL or keep it.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:44 AM
Instructor

Thinking about when it cuts it and realized its only when first started. Well that can also be a IAC when the car is not warmed up.
Hmm
Got home late but opened hood and looked at the IAC and noticed it was covered in oil. Pulled off plug and saw oil or liquid inside the plug. Ok pulled out a can of throttle body cleaner and sprayed down inside of plug. Plus the other side of plug. Then used q tips to clean out inside of plug.
We will see what it drives like tomorrow.
Maybe even pull the whole throttle body off and clean it all out.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Ok it drives better.
Still some stumble for first 2 minutes. Threw the p0134 again , so will pull the O2 sensor and replace it also when I am pulling the tranny out.
Project for tomorrow
Old 03-05-2016, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Tranny out and swapping stuff. Took t easy and about 6 hours to get it all out. Also took most of the suspension out, as I figured if I am here might as well replace stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Shawn.m 01 Cl-S updates and go fast-image.jpeg  
Old 03-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Shot of th wire harness on the left that is different
Attached Thumbnails Shawn.m 01 Cl-S updates and go fast-image.jpg  
Old 03-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Swapping the dip sticks as the odyssesy is different also
Attached Thumbnails Shawn.m 01 Cl-S updates and go fast-image.jpg  
Old 03-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Couple more pictures
The other difference is the lift tab on the left side. It's needed to support to the vdc throttle body
Old 03-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Was trying to get the tranny in by myself and it was a hassle. Need to get my son to help me get it up to that mount point. If I can find the cylinder for my engine hoist I will use that.
Hopefully get it started on bolting it up tomorrow

The suspension felt really loose, the shaft on the struts is heat colored so look like they need to get replaced also.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:30 PM
Instructor

So tranny is all bolted in.
Wiring harness hooked up.
Pulled old tranny heater off and capped 5/8 water line. Need to order a transmission cooler and figure out how to mount it.
Might see if I can mount a spare transmission filter with spin on filter that I have.
Ordered lots of suspension parts, lower and upper control arms, tie rods, ball joints. Hopefully pick up a set of tokiko blue struts with tein springs later this week.
So at a stopping point for a couple days.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Ok odd issue. The av6 that I got did not have the shifter cover on the bottom. The 5at one does not fit. It's a little off and looks he wrong length.
Will have to call around tomorrow to see if a local shop has the part. Or just order it new
Old 03-09-2016, 12:26 AM
Instructor

Ordered wire cover from honda dealer for $33. Poss tomorrow
Bought a abs motor and pump for $58

Wondering if I should do stainless steel lines also? Anybody?

Boght a trans oil cooler from autozone , the mid grade one. I do have a plate one from a previous vechile on the shelf that I might try and flush out first.

Should be a interesting weekend of wrenching
Old 03-09-2016, 01:49 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
LOL. A old-man, I'm enjoying the thread but I got to tell you. I'm tired from just reading your thread and you're doing all the wrenching.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Their will be a point where I am sick of wrenching. Not for a while.

Some watch tv , I wrench. I just get a kick of making things work.

pcture of the two trannies side by side.

The other trick to get the transmission in was to use the engine hoist. To suspend the transmission with straps so that I could jiggle it around more. Then I had a bottle jack under the motor. The bottle jack was nice as it didn't move the motor sideways like a floor jack or motorcycle jack.

Might also get the tl into the shop and start taking that tranny out. Not planning to replace lots of suspension parts on the tl. Not unless they are really trashed.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Alright picked up the tokiko blue wig tein s tech green springs. Pre assembled so it will be easy to bolt on. Hopefully stuff starts to show up tomorrow
Old 03-13-2016, 12:38 AM
Instructor

Got the abs unit in today and dropped that in. Came out pretty easy and went in pretty easy.

Started n on removing the frame side lower bolt on the drivers side lower control atm. To get it out you have to remove the rear transmission mount. I started in on removing the rear mount and stopped after a moment.

I was looking at the oil pan and the oil drip that I have. I had cleaned it all off earlier in week. So I could track the oil. It was coming from the middle of the pan and I can see a small crack in the pan right in the middle.
So some how in all the jacking up of the motor and everything else I cracked the pan. I have the other pan on the old motor so I can swap pans. It's just a major hassle.
Especially when I can't find the cylinder for my engine hoist.

I finally bought a harbor freight 16 drawer tool box after saving up,for a while.

So figured,redirect and go through all my tools and load the new tool box. Started that yesterday and finished today. Then start cleaning up after all the bikes that I have dismantled in the last months.
Got even more motivated and moved my air compressor to the top shelf. Then mounted my air line roll that I purchased 3 years ago and never mounted.

Lots more room to work now

Have a Sar training and another meeting tomorrow so only a couple hours tomorrow. Going to put the spare motor on the engine stand so I can pull the oil pan.
Then have to pull the sub frame back off so I have a clear shot at oil pan to remove it. Looks like need to pull j pipe at same time. Once I do that might pull the O2 sensor and go,get a new one from autozone.

Will probably go after removing the lower control,arms and the tie rods next.

Depending on shipping times I might jack up,the rear of the car and go swap the rear struts.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Not sure why it's only letting me do one picture at a time. Another shot of what the shop looks like now
Old 03-13-2016, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Another shot of what the shop looks now
Old 03-13-2016, 12:44 AM
Instructor

What the the shop like owed like 2 weeks ago
Old 03-14-2016, 01:28 AM
Instructor

Bought a tranny cooler yesterday and it was too big. So today returned it and ordered a Hayden stacked plate one instead that is smaller. Should be here tomorrow.
Went through some of my hot rod parts and I did have a remote oil filter set up. So I need to get smaller barb fittings and order a filter.
Also had to order the trans filter for the odyessey tranny. That should be here tomorrow also.
Still can't find my engine hoist lift cylinder so used my tractor to pick up the motor and put on the engine stand. That way can pull off the oil pan.

The 10 part suspension kit is supposed to be here tomorrow. So I can start bolting that in also.
The lower control arms were supposed to be here last week. Sent a email today on status.

I also bought and installed a cv boot clamp as I pulled off the shaft from the cup when I took every thing apart. So that is ready to go in once I get the new lower control arms in.

I also pulled the throttle body off yesterday and cleaned out the IAC and swapped the spare on. I also plugged the water lines going to the throttle body. We will see if it makes a difference or not.

About to get busy wrenching this week. Good thing my wife is gone !
Old 03-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Autozone called and the Transmission cooler and trans filter is in the store - will get that tonight.

so the 10 piece front suspension kit is out for delivery and I will have that tonight.

2x Front Lower Ball Joints - K9643
2x Upper Ball Joints (Pre-Assembled onto Control Arms)
1x Front Right Upper Control Arm + Ball Joint - K620285
1x Front Left Upper Control Arm + Ball Joint - K620284
2x Front Inner Tie Rod Ends - EV415
1x Front Left Outer Tie Rod End - ES3490
1x Front Right Outer Tie Rod End - ES3491
1x Front Right Sway Bar Link - K90340
1x Front Left Sway Bar Link - K90341

lower control arms the vendor is checking on - I really need these first so that I can put the axles back in.
1 x Part# K620044 Front Right Lower Control Arm
1 x Part# K620045 Front Left Lower Control Arm

will have to see how far i get when i get home tonight. stoked to get it all back together and start driving again
Old 03-14-2016, 04:58 PM
Instructor

so i stopped by Napa today at lunch and picked up the correct barbed fittings to make connection of the oil cooler lines.
also printed the list of filters that i can use so i can pick up that filter also.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:39 AM
Instructor

so installed lower ball joints, upper control arms, struts, inner and out tie rods. one sway bar link. one of them is the wrong one. so will have to return it or just buy a new one.
mocked the tranny cooler- it will fit nice and low where i want it
the spin on tranny oil filter will fit almost where i want it. might have to pull bumper cover to get working space
then onto the oil pan. pulled the oil pan off the spare motor and it has a crack also. sucks
so might have to see if a buddy can weld it for me if he has time. or buy a different one from the junkyard.
getting their. really need the lower control arms asap. vendor is checking on order. if they cant find it will tell them refund money and just buy the replacement bushings. then press them out and put new ones in
Old 03-15-2016, 01:45 AM
Instructor

picture
Attached Thumbnails Shawn.m 01 Cl-S updates and go fast-20160314_225343.jpg   Shawn.m 01 Cl-S updates and go fast-20160314_204217.jpg  
Old 03-15-2016, 10:19 AM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
I'd watch those ball joints closely. The kits that include everything you need are generally made with cheaper-quality parts that don't hold up well.

I'm anxious to hear about the transmission turnout, though.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Instructor

at $65 shipped for the whole kit we will see. the parts dont look that bad. If I get 30k out of it I will be happy.
Everything was loose as a goose in the front. So I think it will be much better than what i had. If gives me a chance to start buying the OEM parts as they go on sale

I am pretty stoked to get this beast back out on the road and see how the transmission shifts.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:03 PM
Instructor

dropped spare oil pan off at machinist - saying should be $60 to fix

hopefully fixed tomorrow
Old 03-15-2016, 03:47 PM
Instructor

autonation honda finally got my wire cover in - never called me. had to call them. so that will get picked up tonight also.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:51 AM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
Just had a similar situation here. Last Saturday night (3/5) I ordered a bunch of parts to complete my J35A3 rebuild through the local dealer's online web store to be shipped to my house and paid extra for 2-day shipping. After no news still, I called them today and they've had it in their store for a few days. Thanks, guys!
Old 03-16-2016, 04:22 PM
Instructor

yeah - machine shop says spare oil pan had so many cracks in it he could not repair it. still leaked solvent.
told them toss it - will need to take something by for his time.
went ahead and ordered a new one for $100 plus ship - better piece of mind. Thinking just get everything together and replace oil pan next week.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:39 AM
Instructor

Ah thrashed and got it all together. Ended up,taking off front bumper to get a better shot at getting the oil cooler in place. Didn't run the big trans filter as I think will go with a magafine as it is smaller.
Magnefine 3/8 Inch Magnetic Inline Transmission Filter

Canceled order for new lower control arms and bought new moog lower control arm outer bushings.
Cut out old ones and pressed in new ones. Then installed drive shafts, a arm, lower control arms, shafts to a bearings, brake bracket, brakes, abs sensor. And tie rods.
Installed wire cover and shifter cable to cover.
Installed new internal stock tranny filter. It's so tiny!
Fussed for half a hour on placing the oil filter and just didn't like how it would fit. So didn't install it.
Installed intake, battery tray, battery, overflow tank. Routed everything
Then added trans oil.. Multi dex at moment as i am going to flush all of it out.,
Hooked battery cables up and it started right up.
Trans shift is just a touch off so will have to,adjust cable.
Still need to bleed brakes after new abs modulator. Plus do front end alignment,easy just time consuming.
Rear struts need to,get replaced also.
Put front bumper cover back on after making sure no leaks.
Might fuss a little bit over the CAI filter and how it's flopping around a bit.

But it runs so maybe hour for fussy stuff and 2-3 hours for struts. Should be driving it Sunday.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Instructor

vendor is shipping missing sway bar link out. - cool
bought magnafine trans filter and that will be here next week

thinking maybe stainless steel lines and legend gs calipers now if i can find a a pair cheap. make that next project as need to get this one on the road
Old 03-20-2016, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Runs and drives!
Struts were really eseay to put in rear.
Did a tape measure front end alignment and got it even Steven, drives straight also.

Tried to bleed brakes but didn't get it all. Little spongy
No abs light after replacing the abs regulator and motor. Happy on that
Vsa lght would come in and then go away. No codes on main. Will need to pull abs/srs codes
Tranny shifts very nice. Gear changes are very smooth. Paddle shift works but not as quick as before.
Will see what it does once the magafine get installed and after first flush.

Installed the torque app on my phone and watched stuff. I think the o2 sensor is going as it would throw a unspecified code 7.
Plus it initially threw a o2 p0132 again. So will probably order a denso o2 sensor instead of the Bosch one. When I replace ghoul pan next week and have to drop the j pipe will replace it.
The ride is pretty good also. I was worried about bottoming in my driveway and it was fine.
Aside from the springs seating in the rear in the first good bump with a great big sprong! .
Old 03-21-2016, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Got the brand new oil pan at work today - actually no leaks from car today.

Magnafine might show up today as it is getting redelivered today. That will be a easy install.

Went ahead and ordered a New O2 sensor- Denso 234-4727 from Amazon and it will be here Thursday along with a bag of those stupid Bumper push pins. Broke even more of them getting the bumper off the TL
Amazon.com: Phgiveu 10mm Push-type Nylon Bumper Fender Flare Fastener Rivet Clips, 40 Pcs / Pack: Automotive

I was going to work on the TL tonight as i have it half apart already. Instead I am doing a search and rescue mission in my jeep tonight. In the snow, at dark
should be a blast
Old 03-22-2016, 09:30 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
drop looks great! putting in work!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:32 PM
Instructor

so got it aligned today - my tape measure alignment was pretty good- Top is before- lower is after. cool thing is that he fixed the rear toe also.
only drove it 1 mile back to office so far. will be interesting to see how it drives on my twisty back roads.

i am still getting occasional bogging when first starting. no codes either. will see what it does once the O2 sensor is put in.

I can see on the Torque app that it is throwing O2 code P0132 at start up. i clear it right away and then it goes into closed loop.
Attached Thumbnails Shawn.m 01 Cl-S updates and go fast-20160323_162036.jpg  

Quick Reply: Shawn.m 01 Cl-S updates and go fast