Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Samsung Tablet Mod Pictures!

Day time shot

Samsung Tablet Mod Pictures!-00dc4at.jpg

Night time shot

Samsung Tablet Mod Pictures!-czza7fj.jpg

If you have any questions about the mod feel free to ask!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:11 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Yea, how hard was the install?

Does it have Navi? Does it work well?

Does the sound come through okay?

If someone else wanted to do something similar, any advice?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:00 AM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
What am I doing with my life that's so siiiick
The following users liked this post:
sengalang (06-15-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 02:09 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Yea, how hard was the install?

Does it have Navi? Does it work well?

Does the sound come through okay?

If someone else wanted to do something similar, any advice?
The install was pretty hard in general, took a few hours out of my days. (Only because this was my first time doing this kind of thing)

Yes, I use the navi application for androids and I get internet from tethering off my phone, works like a charm!

The sound is alright, I'm planning on buying a bluetooth add on for my grom, so I could listen to the sound off my oem radio.

My advice would be, to ask me if you run into any problems!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 AM
6mt swapped..smart

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Great work, now let me ask.. For someone such as myself with no navi, would the navi hvac panel work in place of a non-navi hvac panel? I have a navi hvac panel along with a stock navi bezel with the cutout for a screen in the garage. If I put that in to do something like this, I would need to make sure the navi hvac controls would work (with my non navi car). I'm thinking no due to the harnesses differing, but figured i'd ask
Old 06-11-2013, 07:32 AM
6mt swapped..smart

Also, where is your rear defroster button located? Don't see it
Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Defrost buttons says REAR on it, it's different from the one without navigation.

Did you use the current wiring in your car for navigation to make this work, how is it powered?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthraciteTypeS
Great work, now let me ask.. For someone such as myself with no navi, would the navi hvac panel work in place of a non-navi hvac panel? I have a navi hvac panel along with a stock navi bezel with the cutout for a screen in the garage. If I put that in to do something like this, I would need to make sure the navi hvac controls would work (with my non navi car). I'm thinking no due to the harnesses differing, but figured i'd ask
i am wondering the same, i found both parts on ebay and close to ordering however don't know if the navi hvac panel would work right off the bat. i don't see the control to turn up and down the force of the output from the vents.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DuwayneWebPro
i am wondering the same, i found both parts on ebay and close to ordering however don't know if the navi hvac panel would work right off the bat. i don't see the control to turn up and down the force of the output from the vents.
You do lose a bit of A/C control when you do the installation, you can not change the fan speeds anymore. But, AUTO works like a charm.. 60 blows fast while 70's blow mid speed.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Cruisin'

The wiring is different, so I can't just plug in wires into the tablet. I have to tether internet off my phone to receive internet for the tablet, just to use my navi. I was not aiming for a navi look, just a clean and simple look!

All you need is a navi bezel for this to work, you just have to make a mount for the tablet. (MAKE SURE THE TABLET IS 7" THOUGH)
Old 06-11-2013, 02:45 PM
6mt swapped..smart

I understand what you are saying but that is not what I was asking.. let me rephrase. I'm positive the upper dash harnesses are different for both navi & non navi cars due to the on-screen hvac functions of the navi cars. Now say you have someone with a non-navi car wanting to run the navi hvac panel and throw in a tablet above it, like you did. They would not be able to do so without swapping the upper dash harness to a navi one so the hvac panel plugs in. I'm sure theres a workaround if you're good with wiring and had access to the schematics though, but i'm not sure
Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Cruisin'

I understand what you are saying but that is not what I was asking.. let me rephrase. I'm positive the upper dash harnesses are different for both navi & non navi cars due to the on-screen hvac functions of the navi cars. Now say you have someone with a non-navi car wanting to run the navi hvac panel and throw in a tablet above it, like you did. They would not be able to do so without swapping the upper dash harness to a navi one so the hvac panel plugs in. I'm sure theres a workaround if you're good with wiring and had access to the schematics though, but i'm not sure
You can install the hvac panel for the car but, you just do not have the knobs. I was non navi before, all I did is buy the navi climate control and bezel. All of the wires are plug in play from there on out!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sengalang
You do lose a bit of A/C control when you do the installation, you can not change the fan speeds anymore. But, AUTO works like a charm.. 60 blows fast while 70's blow mid speed.
is A/C always on or is there a way for you to turn it off?

I am considering this heavily until i read you cant control the fan speed...
Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DuwayneWebPro
is A/C always on or is there a way for you to turn it off?

I am considering this heavily until i read you cant control the fan speed...
Fan speed is the only thing you can't control, everything else you can!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sengalang
Fan speed is the only thing you can't control, everything else you can!
not true, the only thing you can control is the auto or off, front defrost/rear defog and temp.

the navi screen controls a/c on/off as well as fan speed and direction.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 PM
6th Gear

looks good
sengalang (06-15-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 AM
03 Boosted CLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sengalang just pm'd you to get more info on this mod. thanks
Old 06-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,413 Likes on 3,023 Posts
looks
sengalang (06-15-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
The ac controls are plug and play for non navi to navi or vise versa. I put the navigation bezel with ac controls on my non navi cls back when I was gonna do a navi swap and it work just fine.

In order to have everything functional (fan speed, direction of where air would come out of), you can alway use the non navi ac controls, make a bracket for them to sit in the glove box. Then all you would have to do is tap the current ac control wiring back to the non navi controls goin to the glove box. You would also need an extra pig tail wire from the ac controls. (I think I have a few laying around somewhere)

End result you'll have 2 ac controls the navi one sitting under the tablet, and when you want to chance air location or fan speed just use the one on the glove box.
Just my
sengalang (06-15-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 11:24 PM
Boosted...

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have had mine in for just over a year now and can share some of the things i have found. First is the actual position of the tablet, I have mine flipped (opposite of OP's) just for the rare instance's of it fully draining the battery or after an update. With mine the power button (for the tablet) is just above the auto button for the HVAC. I have a small hole that a paper clip can fit through to push the power button. Next issue was the fan controls, acura_dipset_tl is right about adding the non-navi heater panel to the navi panel and hiding it in the glove box. I was worried about directing my heat in the winter time so i put my original non-navi panel in. I actually found the auto controls worked well enough that i hardly ever used the manual adjustments and have actually removed the unit from the glove box again. The rest of the stuff i have messed with is all software for android, so anyone with experience has probably used most of these. Here's the list i have as must have apps for my current setup...

Tasker
Nova Launcher
Audio Glow live Wallpaper
Torque Pro

Here's a few pictures of mine...

Old 06-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like that, very clean!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:18 AM
8th Gear

I am guessing any 7 inch tablet would work or does it need to be the Samsung one both of the posters have in here?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:48 AM
03 Boosted CLS

when i looked into it and talked to sengalang it looks like any 7" tablet will work. Im waiting on the Samsung galaxy tab 3 that is getting announced today. But only for the fact that i have 10.1" tablet already and i can pull the sim card out of that and use it in the one im putting in my car. By doing this mine will probably not sit behind the bezel for the fact im gonna want it to be able to be removable.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:49 PM
I like peanut butter

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This ispretty cool, I must admit. Not sure I, personally, would want or need to go to the trouble for this. I respect y'all hard work though. Props!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Here is more info on that type of mod done on the 2nd gen TL

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-116/7-inch-tablet-nav-internet-mod-857257/
Old 07-01-2013, 03:58 PM
03 Boosted CLS

has anyone tried mounting the tablet on the outside of the bezel using a flat piece of plastic to cover up the opening and cradle mount so it is removable. also helps pesky thieves from wanting to break into your car to get it. Thinking about picking up a note 8 so i can use it for work and dock it when im in the car for gps. any thoughts?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by cb717cls
has anyone tried mounting the tablet on the outside of the bezel using a flat piece of plastic to cover up the opening and cradle mount so it is removable. also helps pesky thieves from wanting to break into your car to get it. Thinking about picking up a note 8 so i can use it for work and dock it when im in the car for gps. any thoughts?
Well as for a keeping pesky thieves away, when mounted behind it just looks like a stock navi screen which arent in high demand for thieves Especially if one were to cover up the "samsung" logo
Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 AM
03 Boosted CLS

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Well as for a keeping pesky thieves away, when mounted behind it just looks like a stock navi screen which arent in high demand for thieves Especially if one were to cover up the "samsung" logo
good point. but i still would like it removable and the 8" samsungs are better then the 7s