Removing quarter panel - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Removing quarter panel

Old 05-19-2017, 01:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

Removing quarter panel

I have a 2003 CL-S and the passenger side quarter panel has a fat dent towards the rear. I found a cl on eBay being parted out and they are selling the rear panel for cheap. My question is, is the quarter panel bolted on Or is it welded on? how hard is it and how is it done?
CLS6sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:48 AM   #2
Registered Member

simple answer is NO, the rear quarter panel is not bolted on, it is a welded, structural rear body component. replacing the rear quarter panel "skin" is no easy task and would take someone with professional training and experience to do successfully. exactly how serious is the panel on your car damaged? a picture would help determine if replacement is necessary, or perhaps repair of the existing panel might be a more practical and much less costly approach.
frankjnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for the fast reply, here are some pictures.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
3.5 psi

that'll buff out.

But seriously I'd guess a body shop would have to pull out what they can and fill the rest. That's not a cheap fix.
gnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

I knew it sounded to easy, I have other areas I plan on working on and this my first time posting on here.. should I make a new thread for each question?
Old 05-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #6
3.5 psi

some people make one build thread to track their progress all in one thread. Makes it easier for you, plus it can get annoying creating a ton of little threads.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
I Wanna Beer

The rear quarter panel goes up the C-pllar and all the way to the front windshield. It's a big piece.
TheWeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

Oh okay, thank you. Basically my baby is a project so that works lol I bought her about 2 years ago and didn't realize what I had until 6 months ago smh I haven't treated her right until then. I bought the car at 127k on the dash, the clutch was slipping and the engine mount that connects to the transmission did not have a bolt. That was the only two things wrong with it, body was clean . Oh also had custom cut out exhaust, so the cat was gone, obviously making o2s burn out. Already had the rims which are to big which caused insane rubbing with passengers on board. Since then I replaced struts and springs with tein street advanced coils thinking It would stop the rubbing and maybe even lower height with out rubbing if I adjusted dampening to the stiffest setting. Well it stopped the rubbing but had to keep at stock height, I know the rims are 19s but I'm not sure of width or offset and I know that's the problem with the rubbing because they stick out to far. So 18s are the planned size when I choose my rims, but I love fitment, if you guys have any dimensions that work that would be good. Me and my brother replaced the clutch with Durlast O.E.M. Clutch and did not change the flywheel, haven't had any problems there. Back to the O2 sensors I love the sound of the cut out and how I can change right back to quiet sound so I want to keep the cut out but maybe finesse a cat behind the Y pipe so when it's close it becomes legal does this sound possible? Is there anyway to extend O2 sensor behind the cat if it was placed there? Next problem is a big one but I'm confident I can do the job, because of the transmission mount not being bolted on the transmission has been stretching the linkage cables causing one to snap clean off the bracket, I plan on buying new linkage cables and replacing them. Any advice and information on how it's done will really help. I have a couple little codes dealing with abs and srs that I'll get to later but these are the major problems I want to tackle first. Thanks in advance I'm open to any suggestions
Old 05-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #9
3.5 psi

Are your rear fenders rolled? Are the rear bumper tabs (right behind the wheel) shaved down? That should help the rubbing. If you don't want any rubbing and don't want to throw a camber kit on, then something around 18x8 +45 offset would be fairly flush. Look at any CLs with 3rd gen TL rims. Those are the same width/offset.

You can get o2 extensions on ebay. I used one when I did my exhaust because my cat was placed a little further back. You don't want to touch the primary O2 which is before the Y split. The ECM uses data from that O2. The O2 further back (normally behind the cat) is only there to check if the cat is bad. If you use an O2 extender (defouler) the code won't come on, even if there is no cat.

Note that if your SRS light is on, you have no functioning airbags. So might want to check that out. You can clear that code with a paperclip (search here for clearing SRS light) and then check what is causing it to come back on. Eg, when you buckle your drivers seat. That might help pinpoint the cause. I had to replace my drivers seat buckle last year for that reason.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #10
Registered Member

I actually was planning on camber in the back jus not a lot (slightly noticeable) what's a good camber system? And what would be a good dimension for that? I'm sorry I should of said that earlier. How do you roll a fender?
So if I got a o2 extension I wouldn't need a cat for the code not to pop up?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #11
Registered Member

Alright I will try that srs clear when I see my car again, I left it in DE lol
Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
3.5 psi

I don't have any personal experience yet with camber kits. I do have an ingalls kit waiting to go on some day, but there are other brands out there.

You can buy a fender roller at harbor freight, or have a tire/rim shop do it. There's a lip at the top of the rear wheel well that can be rolled flat. You can youtube how they work.

An O2 defouler just spaces the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream a bit and the check engine light won't come on. There's guys who have no cat (test pipe) with a defouler and they get no code. I had a high flow cat and got a code, then put the defouler on and no code.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #13
Registered Member

Is it easy to fuck up a fender? I'm pretty handy with cars but do you think I should go to the shop for that or is it pretty basic? And thank you might just have to try the extension out and see if I need cat or not.
Does anybody have any knowledge of the fitment I'm looking for? I jus want a nice camber to the back , semi stretched tires and a near perfect If not exactly perfect fitment