Random misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 06:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random misfire

Its been a while since I’ve last posted.
long read below, tldr at end for impatient ppl, I love u.

ive been driving the HELLLLLL out my CL-S. 2k miles a month. I got my long awaited trans work done. It was clutch kit, flywheel and almost every imaginable seal around n behind the clutch n trans. U know what I mean. Multiple and constant tune ups, just recently got all my fluids exchanged with OEM Honda minus engine oil. Egr ports cleaned inside mani n related, timing belt stuff done under 50k mikes ago. Did not address coil packs cuz a cls vet said they don’t go bad as easily.

So Christmas Eve, sitting at a light. Look up from my phone right before green light, notice CEL. Kinda started bugging me till today. Suspected maybe misfire or emissions side, but car running fine. But there’s an odd smell so I’m guessing more on emissions side but don’t immediately notice any change in fuel economy.

got to autozone after Christmas to read codes. P1399, p0301,2,4,6, but autozone guys in a hurry, I said thanks n dipped. I suspected coil packs.
Get to work, coworker tells me he’s got a higher end scanner in his truck, so we check it again. Same codes, I have him clear it.

not worried, got a friend who deals with my cars n has The tools and the knowledge plus a Lift. Buy a denso coil pack prematurely on a hunch during lunch n end up driving 26 miles give or take n cel returns.

take it to professional friend after work, He starts going through each coil pack n plug. Everything looks good n since he does not have a Honda scanner, he cannot pin point misfire based on misfire count. He has to hold each coil to a ground n we can hear the pops or arcs
or whatever. We start from cyl 4,5,6 in the front.
we see nothing abnormal. He obviously spends more time taking off 1, 2, 3.

3 looks horrible! I can also smell that smell I smelled Christmas Eve. Furthermore, the coil is not only firing inconsistently, but also is covered in soot??? Lol

swap over the denso, obviously this one is firing just fine. Drive home, coincidentally, Home is exactly 27 miles and CEL did not return YET. We shall wait and see.

Short version: I did not address coil packs in my lengthy maintenance of the car till one went bad. Then I replaced it.

Attached are pics

Last edited by Angrybear; 12-26-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,391 Posts
^

Angrybear, good to hear from you. IIRC'ly, some time in 2017 you brought some hilarity to the forums when you were trolled by that day trading Canadian deviant character idktriple6, good times.

You don't mention whether your coil packs are original, I assume they are, or how many total miles you have on the car currently; especially, with the high miles you do drive. You do mention that you've had '...multiple and constant...' tune-up, which is good. I do know that these cars are finicky when it comes to the type of spark plugs and O2 sensors they like, so that's important to keep in mind which are listed below:
Helms Manual lists these plugs:
NGK-PZFR6E
Denso-PKJ20CR-M11
O2 sensor:
Denso #2344727 Upstream
Denso #2344621 Downstream

Old 12-27-2018, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Yea I cant believed i stooped my self to that level.
I have 131k. Still no cel. Coil packs looked original. They r the hitachi.
Im hoping to get my valve cover gaskets redone soon, have my friend also check the valve lash.
I had the valve cover gaskets replaced, but they r still leaking. We are also suspecting the oil pump seals but I had a shop in Boston do my timing belt water pump and stuff but don’t know if the oil pump seals were addressed.
ive gone through a few axles, but that’s cuz I’m not running oem ones.
As far as brakes, I took someone’s advice and got Acura legend 2 piston calipers. Have had a couple bleeds but brake feeling is still mushy . I’ll go back to oem factory calipers soon.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,391 Posts
^
Wow, 131K on a six speed, nice.

Yeah, a valve adjustment would be good for the amount of miles you drive. It's pretty easy, just have to be patient and all. About those legend 2 piston calipers. They will feel spongy. When I did mine, I bled them two or three times thinking that I could lessen the spongy feel. It helped, somewhat; however, the trade-off between the additional stopping power (Hawk brake pads) and the fact, which I learned over time, that I was not going to have to replace warped front brake rotors every 8-10K, it (the spongy feel) was easy to get used to. YMMV Sounds like you take care of the car, as a result, you should have many more thousands of miles of life left, so enjoy.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by zeta
^
Wow, 131K on a six speed, nice.

Yeah, a valve adjustment would be good for the amount of miles you drive. It's pretty easy, just have to be patient and all. About those legend 2 piston calipers. They will feel spongy. When I did mine, I bled them two or three times thinking that I could lessen the spongy feel. It helped, somewhat; however, the trade-off between the additional stopping power (Hawk brake pads) and the fact, which I learned over time, that I was not going to have to replace warped front brake rotors every 8-10K, it (the spongy feel) was easy to get used to. YMMV Sounds like you take care of the car, as a result, you should have many more thousands of miles of life left, so enjoy.

wow typooo!!! I really should’ve proof read that. I have 231k
also the check engine light is back! Cars def misfiring. Ah well, let’s dump some more money into her! 😬😵
happ Friday!
Old 12-29-2018, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Update:
I may have figured out my issue I watched a video online where the guy was talking about how the intake gasket for the manifold can be installed upside down blocking the EGR ports.

that was the case for me as well let’s see If the check engine light comes back on