Proper Way to Pull Over

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2001, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper Way to Pull Over

I haven't bee pulled over... btu when I do, I'd like to know what the heck to do.
What if Its on a bridge and there's no shoulder?
There is a road with alot of cops, where people's properties run all the way to the shoulder which is about three feet. Should I pull over halfway into somebody's yard?
Old 07-01-2001, 08:31 PM
Instructor

slow down to acknowledge that you know you are being pulled over and that you aren't running.

then just drive till it is safe to stop. (on the shoulder, side street, whatever)

of course don't take 2 miles to decide on a nice spot and most cops will wait till your in a safe spot before turning the lights on..

a cop in NJ followed us in the m3 for 3 miles before turning on the lights..

then just keep ur hand on the wheel and do not make any sudden movements ie. don't reach for license/etc. untill the cop is there. you don't want him edgy thinking ur packing..
Old 07-01-2001, 08:49 PM
Race Director

One thing to remember is be sure to pull over far enough off the right of way; move to the right as far as you can so that the cop doesn't has to stand in the street when he's leaning in your window or so that he doesn't have to go to the passenger side to talk to you. Even though he will position the squad car to protect him, he can't get comfortable and perhaps think about a warning if he has to be concerned with inconsiderate drivers buzzing by just inches from turning him into a pancake. You've seen the videos....
Old 07-01-2001, 10:35 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Just slam on the f--kin brakes and jerk the wheel to the right!
Old 07-02-2001, 01:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

first, slow down (if you were speeding). then give your turn signal to acknowledge that you know and find a safe spot to pull over. shut your engine off and leave the keys on the dash. turn on interior light (if at night) and open all windows. place hands on steering wheel and don't make any sudden moves. and just wait for the officer.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

and if you have a radar detector, hide it. you will surely get a ticket if you were speeding and the officer sees it.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:45 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by cl-driver:
<STRONG>and if you have a radar detector, hide it. you will surely get a ticket if you were speeding and the officer sees it.</STRONG>
Not quite. I can't tell you how many warnings I've gotten with radar detector in plain sight in the windshield, sometimes even with all LEDs lit from his radar. Why? Because the cops aren't stupid, if you reach and move around in the cabin before a traffic stop, they're gonna see it. Just stay still....

Besides they don't care if you're running a radar detector. They've been told that instant-on radar will defeat any detector.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:54 AM
Banned

Besides, aren't radar detectors legal in most states?
Old 07-02-2001, 02:50 AM
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Kansas has a new law where if you're driving past someone who has been pulled over you have to move over into the left lane, if possible, to give the officers more room while they're out of their car. I think the fine for not doing this is a few hundred dollars.
Old 07-02-2001, 03:23 AM
AWD Torque Monster

i just make sure not to piss them off or make them walk into traffic or somethin stupid cuz then i know for sure i wont be getting off with a warning cuz i got no TITS if u knwo what i mean. after the lights go on i put my blinker on and drive to the nearest safe spot for the cop to get out and pull me over. they never got mad cuz i drove for like min or less to a safe spot. but im always gettign pulle dover for my tint cuz they want to see whos driving so its unot for speeding. so far they let me go.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the Cop is Behind You, Speed up a bit more, if your gonna get a ticket might as well be speeding. Just pull the Friggin Car over. Driving on Front Lawns can be fun. Wait for the cop to leave then peel out on their grass.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:49 AM
Instructor

my man has the idea here. the only part he's missing is the part where you scream as many profanaties at the foker as possible before he cites you for disturbing the peace. fuck a 50. i've gotten 2 tickets in 2 weeks. i think i'm going to just bitch the next cop out that looks at me funny kuz i'm sick of getting screwed over for driving a nice car, DAMMIT.
Old 07-02-2001, 11:18 AM
Pro

another thing to keep in mind is to tell the cop that your going into u'y golve box or whatever to reach for the insurance or car papers. I almost got shot cuz the foker that i was packin'! I wanted to shot him but not that day>
Old 07-02-2001, 01:17 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Here's what you should do--

Follow my directions exactly please:

When the cop first uses his lights/siren to signal you to pull over, speed up a little. Continue this elevated speed for about 2 miles. When he gets close to your back bumper, slam on your brakes as hard as you can with BOTH feet. Do not pull to the right, just stop in the middle of the road.

At that point, jump out of the car like a raging lunatic and run towards the cop car. Put your hand in your pocket and pull it out quickly, pointing it towards the cop while screaming, "Die, pig, die!"

LOL, works for me.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:19 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Ahh.... Where can you get better advice than here?
Old 07-02-2001, 05:44 PM
Learn to swim.

"Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Most speeders panic and pull over to the side - this is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you; he will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker signal that says you're about to turn right. This is to let him know that you're pulling off for a sensible place to talk. It will take him a moment to realise that he is about to make a 180 degree turn at speed. Brace for the Gs and heel-toe."

-Fear and oathing in Las Vegas [img]null[/img]
Old 07-02-2001, 05:48 PM
Drifting

Do not turn on the interior light. They will think you are looking for something.

Spiro
Originally posted by cl-driver:
<STRONG>first, slow down (if you were speeding). then give your turn signal to acknowledge that you know and find a safe spot to pull over. shut your engine off and leave the keys on the dash. turn on interior light (if at night) and open all windows. place hands on steering wheel and don't make any sudden moves. and just wait for the officer.</STRONG>
Old 07-02-2001, 05:50 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by aeon:
<STRONG>"Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Most speeders panic and pull over to the side - this is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you; he will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker signal that says you're about to turn right. This is to let him know that you're pulling off for a sensible place to talk. It will take him a moment to realise that he is about to make a 180 degree turn at speed. Brace for the Gs and heel-toe."

-Fear and oathing in Las Vegas [img]null[/img] </STRONG>
LMAO, that's exactly what I thought of while reading this thread. That movie is hilarious. Haven't read the book yet though.
Old 07-02-2001, 05:52 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by soopa:
<STRONG>Just slam on the f--kin brakes and jerk the wheel to the right!</STRONG>
My mom's co-worker did this once and got rear ended by the cop. haha He had to go to court for the whole situation and payed a bunch of stupid crap.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:12 PM
Drifting

LOL I think you should put a disclaimer at the bottom of the response.

Spiro
Originally posted by Tom2:
<STRONG>Here's what you should do--

Follow my directions exactly please:

When the cop first uses his lights/siren to signal you to pull over, speed up a little. Continue this elevated speed for about 2 miles. When he gets close to your back bumper, slam on your brakes as hard as you can with BOTH feet. Do not pull to the right, just stop in the middle of the road.

At that point, jump out of the car like a raging lunatic and run towards the cop car. Put your hand in your pocket and pull it out quickly, pointing it towards the cop while screaming, "Die, pig, die!"

LOL, works for me.</STRONG>
Old 07-03-2001, 12:39 AM
Race Director

Does anyone here know someone with a broken back/neck, back or neck injuries, etc? Perhaps you are aware of the agonizing pain and related suffering. Weel, apparently not....else you would never even think about making the rest of your pathetic life even more miserable by suffering such a mishap started by you slamming on the brakes, no matter how right you are.

I see so may people do this on the freeway at freeway speeds, slam on their brakes to try to scare the tailgater, or make him responsible for an accident, or whatever. If they knew they had to trade this for chronic back pain, they would be flooring the accelerator instead.

I'm not mad at anyone here, just at the idiot who does this (you know who you are). Someone help me understand why anyone with half a brain would endanger their own health this way in order to teach someone else a lesson? Even if it did work (the tailgather was too slow to response, too close to your bumper) and he tried to steer clear only to collide with your right side bumper and send your vehicle careening off the road and into the ditch, are you brave enough to face all of the shattering glass, a flying steering wheel, and a dislodged hood (that failed to crumple for whatever reason) slicing thru the cabin?

It really irks me when someone does this with passengers in the car or when they're female (no flames please).

Sorry, I'm venting....
Old 07-03-2001, 12:51 AM
Old timer

Yeah I hate those fookheads who think they're cool when they slam on their brakes because someone's tailgating them.

PULL THE FUCK OVER SO THAT PERSON CAN PASS.
YOU CAN CONTINUE ON YOUR MERRY SCENIC DRIVE AFTER THEY PASS YOU, FUCKO.

-J
Old 07-03-2001, 12:53 AM
Banned

Slamming on your brakes with someone on you ass is just plain stupid. I just let my speed drift down, down, down, then sportshift into 3rd gear and blast up to 90 or so. They usually figure it out.
Old 07-03-2001, 12:55 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Dont forget to put your windows down if they are tinted. I makes the cops feel better since they can see in your car better and see where your hands are. Well atleast i put mine down cause if i was that cop i wouldnt want to walk up to a car not knowing if they had a gun in their hand or something.
Old 07-03-2001, 01:09 AM
Instructor

In response to the original question, nowadays the highway patrol and the local city's finest have loudspeakers to talk over when there's a need for it. The last ticket (and first ticket) I received back in November, a CHP officer brought his lights on on the freeway. Since there wasn't really a thick enough shoulder in the surrounding area, he instructed me to pull off the freeway at the next offramp, make a right, then another right and pull over to the side. If the cop that pulls you over has any remote intelligence, he'll know that the bridge you're talking about won't have any area to pull over on, and he'll instruct directly to do what he deems as the next best area to pull over. You might think you won't be able to hear him, but believe you me, those things are LOUD and VERY CLEAR, so long as you're not bumping your music, but by that time you should've turned it down anyways...
Old 07-03-2001, 01:15 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by -=SoCalV6=-:
<STRONG>In response to the original question, nowadays the highway patrol and the local city's finest have loudspeakers to talk over when there's a need for it. The last ticket (and first ticket) I received back in November, a CHP officer brought his lights on on the freeway. Since there wasn't really a thick enough shoulder in the surrounding area, he instructed me to pull off the freeway at the next offramp, make a right, then another right and pull over to the side. If the cop that pulls you over has any remote intelligence, he'll know that the bridge you're talking about won't have any area to pull over on, and he'll instruct directly to do what he deems as the next best area to pull over. You might think you won't be able to hear him, but believe you me, those things are LOUD and VERY CLEAR, so long as you're not bumping your music, but by that time you should've turned it down anyways...</STRONG>
Like someone said earlier, usually the police will not light you up until it is safe to pull you over. They follow you until.....
Old 07-03-2001, 01:28 AM
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

A friend of mine was pulled over two weeks ago and was lectured to by a patrolman because he stopped on a bridge over the Kansas river on a busy interstate. He's not the sharpest stick in the bunch.
Old 07-03-2001, 01:49 AM
Old timer

Pretend you don't understand English.

-J
Old 07-03-2001, 03:09 AM
CL-Vet

The cop won't pull you over until it is safe for both of you.
When it's time to stop, pull over to the right, if it's night turn on your interior light and keep your hands in sight (like on the steering wheel).
this is what most cops tell there families to do if stopped, along with being polite.
BTW, no cop I know gives a shit what kind of car you drive..contrary to popular belief on this board.
Does anybody really think that your going to "get away" with All traffic infractions (or street racing) ALL the time w/o getting stopped?
I know by reading some of the comments on this board that some of you don't want to take resposibility for your actions. I had my license suspended for being a persistant violator 2x before I turned 23. I hated getting caught, blamed the cops etc., but always knew I had it coming to me..plead guilty and paid the fine. Blame yourself if you get stopped, not the cop, the car or anything else.
Out of every 10 cars that I stop, only about 3 drivers usually get a ticket. Want to know why? Because 7 of the 10 I stop are polite, admit the MISTAKE, and say they'll be more careful in the future. The ones that get tickets are the ones who are rude and deny that they did anything wrong, or do something that endangers the general public intentionally.
Believe me, I/we (as cops) have better things to do than to harass people.
Are there cops that are assholes? YES. But there are plenty of assholes through all walks of life. Go ahead flame away.