Price on rebuilt transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price on rebuilt transmission.

I'm too impatient to wait until Monday to get an estimate on how much it would be to rebuild my transmission at a shop. My mechanic replaced the shift solenoid but now he's saying I need all new clutches. Anyone have an idea how much a shop would charge for this? It's an 01 cl.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:29 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Not sure of the price from the shop.........but advise him that you want the Honda Accord transmission. I want to say the year is 06-07. I could be wrong but a little research on the site will tell you for sure.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:50 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by coopcoop30
Not sure of the price from the shop.........but advise him that you want the Honda Accord transmission. I want to say the year is 06-07. I could be wrong but a little research on the site will tell you for sure.
Yes, 2006-2007 Honda Accord V6 5 speed automatic transmission!!!

This should ensure no more failures, or atleast with proper maintenance...

Here's a thread about this exact solution: FAQ: 06-07 AV6 transmission 'swap'

There is some modding involved, but this thread should provide those resources!!!

Rest assured, many have completed this project before!!!
Old 08-13-2016, 11:49 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If he rebuilds the transmission is that the same as putting an accord transmission in? I'm not car savy as you can tell. Lol. I just love my acura. It has 209,000 on it and has been a great car!
Old 08-13-2016, 10:30 PM
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
It should cost about he same either way you go. You can pick up a used AV6 trans for about $900 with torque converter. Rebuild with Raybestos clutches and steels, trans lab full shift kit, new internal and external filters, and new torque converter for about $500-$600. This is not counting labor or accounting for your mechanics ability to rebuild a trans. There is twice as much labor to rebuild than swap a late model accord trans. **Also if you rebuild the shift kit is a must, it addresses the issues that Honda later fixed with the 06-07 trans, and the A-B solenoid has to be adjusted for proper trans function (a step not listed in the shift kit directions and often over looked). Regardless of which option you go with use only Honda trans fluid and change 3 qts regular (at least every 3rd oil change or sooner).
Old 08-15-2016, 07:53 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 107 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by 03 tls nc
It should cost about he same either way you go. You can pick up a used AV6 trans for about $900 with torque converter. Rebuild with Raybestos clutches and steels, trans lab full shift kit, new internal and external filters, and new torque converter for about $500-$600. This is not counting labor or accounting for your mechanics ability to rebuild a trans. There is twice as much labor to rebuild than swap a late model accord trans. **Also if you rebuild the shift kit is a must, it addresses the issues that Honda later fixed with the 06-07 trans, and the A-B solenoid has to be adjusted for proper trans function (a step not listed in the shift kit directions and often over looked). Regardless of which option you go with use only Honda trans fluid and change 3 qts regular (at least every 3rd oil change or sooner).
That's silliness. A properly built transmission should have absolutely zero reason to need the fluid changed or run through it that often. It should be good a minimum of 60k miles and that's the very very low end.

The fact is that even with a shift kit the Acura transmission still has critical design flaws that lead to breakdown. You will still be rebuilding it again even if you put the shift kit and new internals in it.

Spend the money and get the '06-'07 transmission. It'll save you a LOT of headaches later on.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had my 01 fully rebuilt with a shift kit and so far so good. It shifts nice! The owner of the shop informed me that the newer Accord transmissions also come into his shop with similar issues as the CL transmissions and require rebuilds. He also said that by putting in a different transmission, the car will always run a check engine light due to "shift codes". I am not saying this information is true, just sharing what the master mechanic at the shop told me. I considered doing the newer Accord transmission swap until he advised me not to do so... Who has done the swap and how did it turn out?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by TheWeez
That's silliness. A properly built transmission should have absolutely zero reason to need the fluid changed or run through it that often. It should be good a minimum of 60k miles and that's the very very low end.

The fact is that even with a shift kit the Acura transmission still has critical design flaws that lead to breakdown. You will still be rebuilding it again even if you put the shift kit and new internals in it.

Spend the money and get the '06-'07 transmission. It'll save you a LOT of headaches later on.
if his transmission is not a rebuilt Acura unit from 2008 or later, then rebuilding the one in the car is pointless. The internal oil passages are too small and the fluid does break down fairly fast. I did a drain and fill with every 15k and my trans still crapped on me at 71K. Still kept drain and fill every 15K afterwards and I sold the car with 138K and it was still running good when I sold it.

Originally Posted by norcalhonda
I just had my 01 fully rebuilt with a shift kit and so far so good. It shifts nice! The owner of the shop informed me that the newer Accord transmissions also come into his shop with similar issues as the CL transmissions and require rebuilds. He also said that by putting in a different transmission, the car will always run a check engine light due to "shift codes". I am not saying this information is true, just sharing what the master mechanic at the shop told me. I considered doing the newer Accord transmission swap until he advised me not to do so... Who has done the swap and how did it turn out?
all you have to do is swap the sub harness from the old to new transmission along with the transmission to oil cooler. once you do that you are pretty much golden. If installed properly you will not get a CEL. The RPMs will be slightly higher but that's it

Last edited by YeuEmMaiMai; 08-19-2016 at 11:23 AM.