Potential CL-S buyer here with more Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 07:31 PM
DJF
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Potential CL-S buyer here with more Q's

Sounds like I'm asking a repetitive question...I will be parting with my trusty '95 Accord soon and I've been eyeballing the 2001 CL-S. I need info and I have questions. feedback would be greatly appriciated.
I can't afford a new CL-S and I've seen 2001's in the low $20K's (some with Nav). I know this year has an auto (is it Tiptronic?) but I need an auto. I commute in Los Angeles traffic jams. Any problems with the 2001's that stand out or I should look for?

Have any of the members on this board compared the CL-S to the IS-300, 3-Series BMW, A4's? I know the CL is larger than these, but I figured with a stock 260hp, it would be fair game. But what about driving excitement? Is the CL-S built Honda perfect but Honda boring?

I haul people often so I need a back seat. How's the CL back seat?

How does stock CL-S handle? I would love to mod the CL like I did to my Accord, but sadly I'll probably keep it stock (except maybe some suspension mods). I drive my wife's Passat V6 all wheel drive car sometimes, and it's a great German car in need of suspension tricks.

Sorry for so many questions, but I obsess about stupid things and I hate buying a car on impulse.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:37 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there, I am not too far from you. I'm in SCV and commute to SGV in my CL-S which I bought 4/2001. I compared it with all the cars you mentioned plus the Chrysler 300M. Of course, the Audi was the previous gen, not the brand new one. Since I prefer coupes, it came down to the CL-S and 328i (330i not out yet). In terms of price/features for the $$, the CL-S won. The 328 is a bit more fun to drive in the twisties, being RWD, but I felt more comfortable in the CL-S. I do wish the steering wheel telescoped so it would be closer, or that the seat went down lower which is just how I like to sit. Other than that I love the car. I get 30-32mpg and it just hit 30k miles and is still tight, smooth and as fast as new. Look for me on the 210. Red with tinted windows and no wing. I have yet to see another one just like mine!
Old 01-23-2002, 10:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, I am sure that you must be somewhat aware that some of us have had tranny melt downs... With the 2001, you can still go and get an extended warranty. You can buy this before the factory warranty expires.

The car tends to rattle quite a bit....

This is a coupe. Back seats are for midgets and more midgets (no offense to midgets). LOL.

Otherwise, the car is truly sweet. Check with your insurance company. My insurance went from $1,200 to $1,600 per year.

My 98 Accord EX was getting about 28 mpg with unleaded. My CL-S is getting 19-20 miles average and it takes super unleaded. Bank on your gas bill going up 50%. Less miles per gallons and more expensive 92 octane, means big gas bills.

But when you romp on that gas pedal, who cares about the price of super unleaded..
Old 01-23-2002, 10:53 PM
Team Owner

Do you want me to deliver or can you come out and get it ???

CL-S for sale

Shawn S
Old 01-23-2002, 10:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S
Do you want me to deliver or can you come out and get it ???

CL-S for sale

Shawn S
LOL Shawn...had to give it a try eh
Old 01-24-2002, 12:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Well before you do anything, you should read a ton of reviews. One of the guys here posted a review of the 2003 cl-s review from forbes magizine--other than the avaliable stick shift, not much has changed. If you have the cash, I can say without hesitation that you get a 330 ci. Yeah, you lose hp, but it has word class performance. Obviously, I dont have $40k to shell out for the bimmer, so I gladly settled for a cl-s--nothing comes close to it in its price range. And, if you are getting an automatic, I dont think there is a passengers car in the price range which is as fast and as responsive.

Obviously though, my opinions are biased , so check other (unbiased) sources. Motertrend is pretty good (though the reports are kind of short).

Also check carsdirect.com for really good side-by-side spec and review analysis. Hope this helps
Old 01-24-2002, 10:49 AM
Banned

For the $$$.....nothing compares. You get luxery AND performance, including EVERY option you could imagine (sans the nav), for a mere 30K (approx). Given, it's not world class like a MB or a BMW, but it certainly makes finacial sense, if you're monitarily conscience. I LOVE MY CLS (hey.....I was driving an '88 Sentra prior)
Old 01-24-2002, 12:11 PM
Any Lady Want One??? :-P

I have to agree with some on this board. The car is great. I love it dearly. Only a few people have problems. A majority dont have problems. It depends on what day of the week your car was built on . Its the best bang for the buck (in that price range) Your gas mileage will vary a lot. The back seat is quite roomy for a coupe, as long as your not taller that 2'6" j/k
Old 01-24-2002, 01:34 PM
DJF
Instructor

Thanks for the info! I have a few months until I part with my 'ol '95 Accord so I'll have time to do my homework. Personally, I think I'll stay away from the Bimmers, just because it seems like every BMW in L.A. is driven by a jerk. Also, the 3-series, to me, is really a 2-person sports coupe/sedan with no real usable rear seat.

Mod question: When CL-S owners upgrade their suspension, what do most of them do? On my Accord, I did coilovers, sway bars and strut braces. It was a great handling "slow-poke". If one was to upgrade the CL-S suspension, would springs and struts do the trick or do the sway bars need a change-out too?
Old 01-24-2002, 02:31 PM
Any Lady Want One??? :-P

The very first thing most people will say to improve handling is to change the tires. You'll needs springs and sways. Or you can get in on the group buy. They're trying to get coilovers. I got srpings first and the handling is greatly improved. So it is how much you wanna spend though. JMO
Old 01-24-2002, 02:56 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DJF
Thanks for the info! I have a few months until I part with my 'ol '95 Accord so I'll have time to do my homework. Personally, I think I'll stay away from the Bimmers, just because it seems like every BMW in L.A. is driven by a jerk. Also, the 3-series, to me, is really a 2-person sports coupe/sedan with no real usable rear seat.

Mod question: When CL-S owners upgrade their suspension, what do most of them do? On my Accord, I did coilovers, sway bars and strut braces. It was a great handling "slow-poke". If one was to upgrade the CL-S suspension, would springs and struts do the trick or do the sway bars need a change-out too?
First, go buy one, there are great deals on an already aggressively priced car. You won't be sorry, for the price nothing comes close imho. As far as suspension mods the whole package i have is HIGHLY recommeded. The sways were huge with the better rubber, but these Comptech springs and Konis transformed the car. Handling is hugely improved, and it wasn't bad stock. Good luck, hope you join the group.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:51 PM
foe
Racer

Originally posted by Eggplant-EX
Well, I am sure that you must be somewhat aware that some of us have had tranny melt downs... With the 2001, you can still go and get an extended warranty. You can buy this before the factory warranty expires.

The car tends to rattle quite a bit....

This is a coupe. Back seats are for midgets and more midgets (no offense to midgets). LOL.

Otherwise, the car is truly sweet. Check with your insurance company. My insurance went from $1,200 to $1,600 per year.

My 98 Accord EX was getting about 28 mpg with unleaded. My CL-S is getting 19-20 miles average and it takes super unleaded. Bank on your gas bill going up 50%. Less miles per gallons and more expensive 92 octane, means big gas bills.

But when you romp on that gas pedal, who cares about the price of super unleaded..
I think the back seats are pretty comfy im 150, 6 foot leg room isnt amazing, but better than 3 series
Old 01-24-2002, 04:40 PM
DJF
Instructor

Shawn S...Your CL-S is beautiful. If it was closer to the time for me to sell my old Accord, I'd probably be interested.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:49 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The CL-S is the best bargin in it's class period. Go with the CL-S you can't go wrong.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:27 PM
Cruisin'

Just picked up my '01 Blk/Blk CL-S non-navi with 18k miles today. I considered a 328i but had a 328is in the past. BMW's handle extremely well and interior was tight. Scary thing is maintenance costs if something were to go wrong. Pricier cars also tend to depreciate much quicker. You can't go wrong with Acura/Honda. 260hp and all the amenities. I considered Shawn's as it looks immaculate except he is in PA and I had concerns about a NE car with corrosion issues in the future.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:01 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
GET NAVI!!!!

Make sure you get navi and you won't be dissapointed! The car is excellent and I haven't had any serious problems (none that weren't covered under warranty). Suspension mods are cheap and it looks as if you already know about them. If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't change a thing, except I would get white instead of black.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:44 AM
Rx Master

The CL-s is by far the best car for the buck. I checked it up against all the cars in question, IS300 which is as small as a corolla or civic, which is also the same size as the 3 series bimmer. I loved the coupe 323 but for 35 grand, and over 5 hundred a month with money down, it wasnt worth the lease. The people at acura made a deal i couldnt afford to walk away from. and since times are tough now after sept 11, u may get a great deal. I have only had 1 major prob with mine, lost my tranny at 25 thousand miles, but it was warrantied and fixed free of charge, even gave me a rent a car for free, it took 5 days to fix. look around and go to diff dealers if u can, they will competer against each other for your business. check out my car and see for your self if the cl-s is really what u want.
wg