Picked up a 03 cls 6mt last month

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 06:00 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Picked up a 03 cls 6mt last month

I picked up an 03 cl s 6mt locally and got it for a great price. Anything else I should look for or address maintenance wise? Heres what i know has been done and what I have done so far:
car is at 200k. Recently replaced all motor mounts and tranny mounts. Changed tranny fluid to gm synchromesh friction modified even though It shifts great with no grinds.....this made the car seem smoother....didnt think that was possible......i also replaced my axle seals as they were leaking and put in a new denso radiator... any suggestions on what else to address? Car drives great woth no CEL.....did have a faulty 02 sensor when i bought it but replaced with a denso. I added the mask and fogs......i traded my 2000 tl 5AT with 220k for all new paint and for removal of all the lil nicks and dings
No rips in the interior but the passenger seat isnt perforated.....i have located a perforated one from a mt....just have to take the four hour round trip to pick it up
Day i brought her home
Day i brought her home again
And i got lucky and found a 93 legend coupe at the junkyard with its dual caliper pistons......upgrading soon.....ive cleaned them up (filthy) and am going to sandblast them and then paint them. CHEERS...
Howd i do? Any further suggestions? Also forgot to mention that im doing valve cover gaskets and new plugs......the cars had its second timing kit done at 170k which was a pleasant surprise when I found the sticker. ....previous owner had car 6 years and purchased it when he was in sales

In sales at acura /\/\/\
Old 02-04-2017, 06:22 AM
Instructor

Couple other things

Paint and bodywork is obviously not started yet. Although in FL, its been a little bit chilly and my buddy who paints has cars ahead of me......couple other things from the junkyard I picked up.....dont think ill use the radio....i already installed 2 12" subs getting 1000rms from a kicker zx 1000.1.....just spliced rcas from the input wire going from the front deck to the stock bose amplifier (have pictures of this as well if anyone is interested it was super easy and took 20 mins and it sounds great without upgrading anythimg else and i retained the use o my bass and treble controls on my stock deck. .......evetything else is stock on the car exept obviously he swapped oit the stock 17 inch rims for the 16s
Old 02-13-2017, 08:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Congrats, looks like a frankenstein car with mixed up parts. Good thing is how smooth it drives. Those other worn out parts can be changed over time if you land a good find at the salvage yard. I would start with the interior since thats where you will spend most time. New seats with less wear, maybe a new steering wheel for a good feel as you drive. Then I would move onto he wheels, (duh), some 18" or 19" wheels will do wonders for the car, the most dramatic change short of a paint job. Then I would change out the headlights for new ones. Polishing them will help but its a matter of time before they go back. Makes a huge difference in decreasing the age of the car. Lastly, try and find a trunk lid without a spoiler and swap out out. Enjoy the drive and be safe! Oh, and a Cold Air Intake will make the car sound great at highway speeds.
The following users liked this post:
Jonathan Hill (03-31-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 02:51 AM
Instructor

Thx

Impressive. You pretty much called the order. Im trying to get a better passenger seat first. As for the wheels.....my plan was to keep an eye out for the stock rims and pick up those too obviously. Would 18 or 19 inch wheels help keep it planted better is my question. I read I could swap the torque dampenders for nrg ones and may try this. The stock ones dont look like much. I so want an intake and headers if I ever find aome reasonably priced. Almost scared to order parts online for this car. Amazon doesnt know the difference between an auto and manual....Ive already had to jam an automatic radiator under the hood (barely closes)
Thanks for the response...maye I should have chosen a username instead of letting auto fill do it for me....who makes their username their name? I guess i did. Lol
Old 02-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Good looking car, well done on the purchase
Old 02-25-2017, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Once i get tires no more mixed parts

Messing around with cf vinyl
Pics of one of the seats and panels and other goodies...even a mirror that hasnt leaked and oem floor mats
Cf vinyl on the roof...covers up the sunspots until i get the paimt and bosy work done (which will be in the next two months btw)
Also cf wrapped the fuel door, door pillar (or whatever the trim between the door and the rear quarter glass is called), AND the spoiler which looks a hell of alot better than it did before
EVERYONE knows what stock 03 cls rims look like and mine dont have tires mounted on them yet I'll post pictures of the rims when I get them on the car.)
Old 02-25-2017, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Comimg next...

Here are the legend calipers that were filthy in the above picture....been cleaned in mineral partswasher, painted and are waitimg to be installed.
Painting...
Painted.. and waiting for Amazon to deliver my rotors Rotors im waiting on.....were kinda cheap...hope they are decent quality
Old 02-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonathan Hill
Here are the legend calipers that were filthy in the above picture....been cleaned in mineral partswasher, painted and are waitimg to be installed.
Painting...
Painted.. and waiting for Amazon to deliver my rotors Rotors im waiting on.....were kinda cheap...hope they are decent quality
do those legend calipers bolt right up to the CL? what year legend are they off of
Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mattcl-s
do those legend calipers bolt right up to the CL? what year legend are they off of
yea they bolt right up to our 2nd gen cl brackets.....all you use is the calipers themselfs....get new pads and hardware for your cl.......and id get at least drilled or slotted rotors. This is said to not only stop the car alotnfaster but it helps with the rotor warping problems our cars have. You have to get them off of a 92 or 93 legend coupe six speed or off of i think the 94 legend 4 door which is a rare care. Nsx calipers bolt up as well....cantnrecall the years....they are the same but very lightweight aluminum i think. Search on acurazine....there are DIYs....its where I learned of it. Good luck. Im puttimg them on tomorrow or wednesday and will let you know the difference.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mattcl-s
Installed the legend calipers and drilled and slotted rotors today....everything went smooth and its a huge difference...sooo smooth now too now that the rotor warp is gone...hope it fixes the warpimg for good like others say. Definitely worth the time. My buddy who has a 2nd gen tl drove it and immediately asked me if he could have my stock calipers for cores to use at the junkyard were we found another 93 legend 6mt coupe sitting.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Instructor

Corrected the wheels

Finally got the 01 cl rims sold and 03 cls rims mounted
Old 03-28-2017, 03:03 AM
Instructor

Ive gotta have one of the cleanest interiors

New seats!

been workin on the insides.....this drivers seat is removed (and on the BM) and replaced with one in the condition of the passenger seat above.....my buddy asked me why I was removing a good seat to put in a good seat. ....the new ones dont have the strange shine that years of conditioning will do to it and maintain the origional stock look.....not to mention the wear lines or folds on any seat thats been sat in for years.......maybe im picky but someone can get a nice perforated drivers seat now.

Last edited by Jonathan Hill; 03-28-2017 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:26 AM
Instructor

Almost done with the interior and added a custom touch to the front seats. Added the powered by acura logos (cut the logos off of some bright yellow shsoulder pads that looked horrible and were $6 on ebay lol.)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonathan Hill
yea they bolt right up to our 2nd gen cl brackets.....all you use is the calipers themselfs....get new pads and hardware for your cl.......and id get at least drilled or slotted rotors. This is said to not only stop the car alotnfaster but it helps with the rotor warping problems our cars have. You have to get them off of a 92 or 93 legend coupe six speed or off of i think the 94 legend 4 door which is a rare care. Nsx calipers bolt up as well....cantnrecall the years....they are the same but very lightweight aluminum i think. Search on acurazine....there are DIYs....its where I learned of it. Good luck. Im puttimg them on tomorrow or wednesday and will let you know the difference.
Not questioning your info, just letting the forum know that Oreilly's lists the dual piston calipers as fitting the 94-95 Legend GS, L, and LS

Jonathan Hill (04-03-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Oreilys info is just incomplete....u can get them from the 94 or 95 four door but thats a much harder car to find at a junkyard. I pulled mine off the 93 6sp 3.2c coupe.....theres plenty more info on this forum about the caliper upgrade......most 4 door legends had single piston calipers so its easier to spot a coupe at the scrapyard. Would never steer someone in the wrong direction. Maybe this link will clear things up for those that havent done this first hand DIY: How to install two-piston Acura Legend calipers - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
BTW we must use our 2nd gen cl caliper brackets, brake pads and a brake hardware kit. This is a direct bolt on just swap the passenger caliper to drivers side and vice versa so the bleeder valves arent upside down. So easy.

Last edited by Jonathan Hill; 03-31-2017 at 10:26 AM.
johnboy1313 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Great info, like I said, I wasn't doubting you, just pointing out how to find them new if someone wanted to go that route.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnboy1313:
Jonathan Hill (03-31-2017), mattcl-s (04-20-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Instructor

That is a really good find if those are new....when i looked i found remans for the same price but most places only would have one side not both calipers.....in the product details are those new or remans.....either way good find
Old 03-31-2017, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Those are remans. I'm sure there's a core charge in there somewhere too.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Yep under the price on ur post in small writing it says 38.00 core charge.....still if they have both left and rights in stock its a good find.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Its so bright and hot out but forgot to add the pic of the seat i put in so here it is....mint as i can find at 15 yrs old.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Not so brite out...
It is straight believe it or not...you try holding.a camera up under ur steering wheel and make the came straight. ..just velcroed over a stitch I had to repair the beginnings of a tear with with the logo so I can always adjust (dont use industrial strength unless you want to take the paint off with the velcro when you remove it) learned that on my old tl
Clear eyes
Old 04-02-2017, 11:28 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
I got my legend calipers for my TL at oreilly. Very easy to do and much simpler than going to a junk hard pulling a possibly bad caliper off a car that you have to rebuild. Oreilly actually has correct information too. The calipers work awesome, you wont be disappointed.
Jonathan Hill (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 06:15 AM
Instructor

I didnt mean it was incorrect info...they do fit the 4 door 94 and 95.....iirc they made fewer of them with the brakes we are looking for....whereas i believe all 93-95 coupes have them.....my question: when you went to oreilys did it list them as fitting the coupe? If not this could confuse some people which is why i said their info was incomplete based on the screenshot from their website. Oreilys may be a much easier option for some....i just live 2 miles from a junkyard and they warranty all the parts and they took my single piston calipers as cores....
Old 04-04-2017, 06:35 AM
Instructor

Do not use these from the legend calipers

These will rub the rotors and squeel and you will have to remove them. Only use cl hardware.
mattcl-s (04-04-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 05:17 PM
Instructor

carbon fiber wrapped down the hood lines

wrapped the roof and hood lines.... spoiler, gas cap, window pillars in carbon fiber. gloss black wrap has arrived and im wrapping the tops of the doors and about an inch below the door and staying on the body line so that from the bottom of the window to the ground there will be no wrap...just oem paint. any thoughts or suggestions? im all ears. this is the first car ive ever done overlay on.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:19 AM
Instructor

trunk lid overlay

did the cf vinyl here too....