PARTIAL solution for intake humming (short ram intake)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
PARTIAL solution for intake humming (short ram intake)

so my previous car wan an 04 TL and when I bought the car it came with an 2 piece cold air intake, with the extension to make a cold air. Raining season came and we have a lot of flash floods where I live so took the extension off and kept it short ram and no problems.

So when I got my 03 CLS,

I wanted another short ram. Searched ebay for a 3inch intake, supposedly order it, but as soon as I took it out of the box I know that crap was not 3inch, it was like 2.75 or something like that, it was a thinner than the one I had on my TL.

I go to install it, and everything was good, there are two hoses that go into the intake tube, one from where the oil filler cap is and the other comes from the back of the engine somewhere, I have not really paid attention to where it leads on the motor. Finished installing everything, put filter one, put everything back together, go to turn the car on and a LOUD humming sound is coming from the intake area. It was super loud, I thought the engine was going to blow or something. Turned the car off, scratched my head two times and started wondering what could be the problem. I have installed plenty of intake before, well they were mostly 4 Cyl engines and never had anything like this happen. Re-checked my steps and everything was bolted/tighten. Here is what I did to troubleshoot (be advised that I am not in no way, shape or form a mechanic lol, I just used common sense when working on anything, I only do light stuff on my car, short ram intakes are easy so that's why I took on this)

-with everything installed I took the air hose that goes from the engine by the oil filler cap to the intake tube off and the noise went down, then I also took out the second one that came from behind the engine off the short ram tube and the humming went away completely, just the usual intake sound sucking in air.
-with both hoses off the intake tube I put my finger on one of the holes on the intake tube where one of the hoses connect to and the noise came back, put my finger on the other one also (so had both of the hoses on the intake tube plugged at this time) and the noise got louder like in the beginning.
-if I plug the hose that comes from the engine by the oil filler cap with my finger nothing happens, but if I plug the one that comes from the back of the engine the engine bogs down and feels like it's going to cut off.
-so I scratched my head some more. My guess was that the intake tube was too thin, so I turned the intake tube so that the filter would be sticking up so when I take the filter off with the engine on it would not suck in any dirt. So I connected both hoses back to the intake tube and removed the filter off the end of the intake and the noise was still there, equally as loud as the beginning.
-I was doubtful that it would make a difference but for the heck of it I put the extra extension at the end of the intake tube to make it a cold air intake, put the filter on, put the hoses back on the intake tube, turned the stupid car on and everything was quiet, just the normal small whistle of the engine sucking in air

I was like wtf??????????? lol

so from what I can tell:

-If you are going to get an short ram intake, I would say make sure it's I would say at least 3 inches thick, because the stock intake tube was a bit bigger than my short ram tube, this was a cheap knock off, im not sure how think the name brand sri are like injen and aem
-I think that if I get like 4 small breather (2 for the two nipples on the intake tube, 1 for each hose that come from engine) I would be okay keeping it short ram??? that's just my theory, but them things run like $10, so idk
-if you are going to use a cheap ebay one go ahead and get the two pice or outright a cold air intake, im not a huge fan of cold air intake but I guess for now I have to like it, I did like the loud air-sucking sound the short ram in my TL made when I got on it. Since it was right in the bay, when it was cold air intake, the sucking sound when you got on was not that loud

the on my TL

On the CL with everything plugged in , like this it made the LOUD humming

on the CL with ghetto rig cold air extension jus for testing purposes, here both hoses are also plugged in the intake tube and with the extension it was super quiet, like normal intake sound

so for now im going to remove the resonator box and run a cold air, my next test is going to be an elbow that I have that fits on the stock intake tube but this filter inlet was too small, im going to get a bigger filter that fits that elbow and see if it work

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jptypeS; 01-02-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
so I got a chance to buy an injen 3" short ram intake and put it on and no humming, I guess a bigger diameter does make a difference
Old 02-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
why not just take the resonator off of the stock air box? the intake already sucks air in from the "cold" zone... (you know the space between the outer and inner fenders). Plus you get the added benefit of not running the risk of sucking up water. Plus those ribs in the intake tube serve to help quiet that unwanted hum or sucking noise..