Painting Cl Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting Cl Need Advice!

Help me out guys! My car is in the shop and i am haveing a hard time choosing a color What do you guys think about that House of kolors tangelo? or like a kandy red? Idon't want any kind of factory color

Old 08-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Doom dee doooooom

the saleen red is nice..... if you want it to look like a ricer go with that nice orange color. of course... CLs are a little nice to be a ricer... just sayin.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Audi S4 driver

You were at the new york auto show too huh? I have pictures of those same two cars .. and about 150 other ones.

Honestly, that paint on that Eclipse really caught my attention. I know Shibby said it looks "ricer", but in person, that paint is just AMAZING looking. I really liked the way it looked on that car. I didnt even like the car itself, but I took like 3 pics of it just because of the paint.

I saw the Saleen in person as well and that paint is really nice too. Almost went from like a bright red to a dark red in certain lights .. very eye catching as well.

Both are good choices, although the red is a little more low key .. the orange just screams hey look at me. Depends on what look your going for.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:51 AM
?

go with the RED.
I cant imagine a CL in that orange.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:44 AM
EVO IX MR

Def NOT tyhe orange. The red is nice, or maybe it's just the car.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:28 AM
Banned

that S7's red is a good color, orange... lets leave that to Paul Walker
Old 08-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah i am a little iffy on the orange also, but if you saw it in person it's really a sick color, but will draw alot of attention. i am up for other opinions in colors guys it isn't just between these two they just caught my eye
Old 08-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

this is a factory color but its a lamborghini factory color its a 3 stage pearlcoat and looks awesome in real life, we have our golf cart painted this color at my work
Old 08-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Honkey

Here's HOK Kandy Tangelo:

Old 08-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

i vote for the red
Old 08-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

red
Old 08-06-2004, 10:25 AM
CLanty-eyed

that orange looks sick and def eye catching, i don't think its ricer. the red is more subtle and looks great too. damn i can't make up my mind either
Old 08-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Pro

go with a midnight blue
Old 08-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey 4 pumped who's orange cl is that? Yours?
Old 08-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Health's Angels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
orange is my favorite color, so I'd go with that.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally Posted by gingerbread
go with a midnight blue

But I think he wants something louder.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Drifting

Boy, I hope you are sitting on one huge pile of money. I am a powder coating and liquid paint consultant for my company. I have published articles about painting in some industrial magazines.

I have absolutely no problem with custom colors, but I am an absolute stickler about doing a painting job correctly. Notice that orange CL and that his door jambs and thresholds are properly painted? You can't just paint the exterior of the car. That is, if you ever plan on selling it later down the road for real money.

Don't be suprised if this paint costs anywhere from $500 to $2,000 per one gallon, and that doesn't include labor. And these may require special primer and clear/finish coats. More $$$$$$$$$$$.

Basically, you car must be entirely disassembled. Most of the interior needs to be removed. The rear window, windshield, driver and passenger rear windows need to be removed. Ditto the engine, transmission, everything bolted in the engine bay, including all tubeing must be removed. Sunroof? That has got to go also.

It will be far cheaper to remove everything (within reason) from the car, and that includes the hood, trunk lid and interior door panels. Don't forget removing the combing around where the doors seal and peeling back the carpeting.

EVERYTHING must be painstakingly cleaned. Organic soils (dirt, oil and grease) and inorganic soils (rust and oxides) must be removed. Every surface you expect paint to adhere correctly must be evenly scuff sanded, or the paint will not adhere. Imagine doing that on all the concave and convex curves in just the engine bay alone. Also, the plastic wheel wells must be removed, along with the fabrics in the trunk.

I am not saying you must repaint every square inch of the car, but everywhere the new paint meets a piece of trim, interior or exterior, it had better be perfect to achieve the effect you want. One, repeat, ONE masking mistake ruins the entire effect.

Removal of all the hardware will be BY FAR much cheaper than doing any masking. Leaving parts in the engine bay and masking them hides surfaces, and when that happens, the paint doesn't "flow" together, and that is the first sign of an obvious repaint! And just imagine removing every clip designed to hold hydraulic tubing in the engine bay alone! My company makes those clips, and they are designed for easy insertion, not easy removal.

I, for one, would not pay even a nickle for a car worth $50,000 that had the trickest paint job, say that flashy orange you want, if I opened the door and found out the car was originally, say, black. It would tell me instantaneously that the PREPERATION step, the most important step in painting ANYTHING was skimped on.

But hey! That is just me. But this is how I make my living, and I do very well at it. My estimate to do this job correctly? $10,000 to $ 15,000.

I am NOT trying to discourage you, not peeing in your cheerios. I'd like nothing better than for you to achieve the effect you want, and have it done correctly. I encourage you to prove me wrong, in fact. I repainted my first car with the original color when I was 14, it was my dad's 64 Chevy Impala, and I quickly found out that this was real work. Between semisters in college, I had a Fiat 124 that was a real, washed out yellow, not faded, just a pukey color. So I changed to Orange, which was hot at the time. I removed very few components. The exterior came out fine, but when you opened any hood or door, the results were obvious and disgusting.

Thankfully, the car got hit hard by another driver, and I got the fair insurance value. But no dealer was ever gonna take it off my hands for anything approaching a fair amount.

Think this over really good before you leap. Good judgement comes from experience. Unfortunately, good judgement usually gets learned from bad experiences.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:52 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I tend to agree, i would never repaint a non-damaged premium car unless I wasn't concerned about devaluing it or about having to resell it sometime.
But if I were to repaint a non-stock color I would try to pick a color that I liked and thought would resell easiest. I like that S2000 silver gray I've seen and on the NSX. wild colors (orange and exotics) are not my thing on a CL.
I agree that I didn't like any of the stock CL colors, besides black. I really wanted a silver between the silver and anthracite.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Honkey

That orange CL isn't mine. It's my friend Jay's car. I would count on spending about 6k+ on a quality kandy paintjob. Kandy is extremely difficult to paint, so make sure the painter is experienced. I have friend who had his integra painted Kandy Organic Green and the bill came to about $8k...but the job was flawless.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Drifting

Told ya...this is not cheap if it is done right, and it is worthless if it is done wrong.

Still, I am not trying to discourage this practice. My CLS6 is 14 months old and doesn't have a scratch it it, so not for me. If every body panel was dinged up, well, maybe, but I would doubt it.

The factories invest so much in painting lines it isn't even funny, and I for one am suprised the body shops can do so well. I know, I just got hit back in May to the tune of $4,000 damage.

The trick here is finding a body shop that realizes that they want to make a statement about their ability as much as you do. Not to make the maximum buck for the least amount of labor.

I consult for ITW which makes painting equipment, and the finish is probably the most important part of the car after the tires. Our marketing studies show you can have an expertly engineered and beautiful car, but when you first see it, you don't see it! What your eye actually sees is the quality of the finish, not the car.

I have some buddies in EAA, the Experimental Aircraft Association, and they build their own airplanes. When they are "finished", all they have left to do is to paint the airplane. And these guys do it correctly. When the airplane is mechanically completed and test flown, the painting process begins. Based on an eight hour work day, the process usually takes three months at a minimum. And we are not talking 747s here, simple 1, 2 or 4 place airplanes, about the size of a single engine Cessna.

And usually, two months and twenty nine days are spent in preperation, and the painting is done in one day.

It is ALL about PREPERATION!
Old 08-06-2004, 06:16 PM
shoulda got a 6 speed

yea to paint it right is gonna cost some serious $$. my old boss had an escalade 4 days old that he brought to a shop to be sprayed m3 blue. the job cost him 9000 but the paint job is absolutely incredible. his escalade is a 2002 and he took it to a show where several GM employees were. they asked him to pull his car out so they could take pictures and then they just left. on the following line of escalades, they ripped him off and made that electric blue thats lik a shade darker than what he had. the moral of the story- if you have the money and the balls, your cars gonna loook sick and someone might ripp u off
Old 08-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey joebenz, Holy shit a friend of mine was just telling me about that very same escalade you just mentioned today, thats some funny shit! I work in Brooklyn at 212 Motoring, maybe you heard of it? He brought it up because he saw my bosses escalade which just came back from the body shop with a sick ass candy red paint job cost him about 12 grand. But for everyone else all i am paying for is supplys a very good friend of mine owns a body shop and we trade work, we only charge each other for parts i am an installer for about 12 years nowand do alot of custom stuff. Thanks for everyones concern though.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:32 PM
shoulda got a 6 speed

without comp.... it was robs over at wheel concepts in staten island. he just got rid of it though he bought a H2 pickup and its at spray city gettin its 15000 paint job. hes paintin itsome purple tint two tone thing. it supposedlys gonna look real nice when its finished. and since he owns the largest wheel shop on the east coast, he should have no problem gettin a nice set of wheels. oops, sorry for the
Old 08-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Registered Douchebag

Break off your mirrors, tear the leather in the seats and brake all tail lights and headlights then i suggest you call MTV to pimp your ride