p073 after changing 3 out of 4 shift solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:11 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p073 after changing 3 out of 4 shift solenoids

Hey guys, my 2001 cl runs good with no issues when I drive it cold. Make a couple of trips on freeway and at normal operating temperature it jerks and slips like a retarded tranny. Turn car off, let it sit a few hours, start it and it shifts through all gears fine again. Anyone have any suggestions before I go to a rebuild? It would greatly be appreciated
Old 01-14-2016, 02:17 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Start with the usual, 3x3 with DW1 and trans filter change and see if it helps.

You need to be very specific about the trans symptoms, like what gear or gears, shifting up, down, or constant speed, highway or city speed, flares or shudder, auto or manual mode, etc? The better the details are the better the diagnoses.

Are you sure thats the correct code; witch solenoids did you change and were they oem?

Last edited by 01acls; 01-14-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:59 PM
3rd Gear

Apologies for the late response. So far, I reset the code, been driving it back and forth to work all week and no CEL. I get a sometimes get shift delay when going from third to forth. I installed new pressure switches and all four shift solenoids. Basically what was happening, I would take it for a 15 minute drive on freeway and do a turn around. On the return trip half the way home I would press gas for overdrive to kick in. What would happen is my rpm would rev then I would catch the gear. After exiting and coming to a stop, it would down shift hard. As I'm driving, it would shift gears real hard like a thump. 1,2 and 3rd. When I parked it and did the same route the next day, it did the same exact thing. From the house to the freeway, it shifted fine until the trip back home. Maybe problem hasn't showed itself yet because I'm giving it time to cool down before I drive it again. If u need anymore information let me know. Thanks for responding. By the way, I cleaned both linear solenoids because I had a p0740 code a while back. That code hasn't come back since. The car only has 126,000 miles on it.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:42 AM
Drifting

Perforn 3x3 and external filter change.

Try replacing the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid (P0740)-clean filter, Mainshaft, Countershaft Speed sensors and Pressure A/B Solenoid-clean pipes & replace O-rings/gasket..

OEM parts except for filter.

Which ones exactly did you change?

Old 01-16-2016, 04:07 PM
3rd Gear

Sorry. Been working me to death. I replaced all 4 shift solenoids, replaced both pressure switches, replaced screen and gasket on a/t solenoid valve c and cleaned screen on valves a and b. What happens if the o ring is bad in valves a and b on those tubes? Does it leak into something? About 7 months ago I had a tranny fluid flush because temp sensor was dirty causing cel to illuminate and the d5 blink. Haven't had the problem since. For the past 6 months I've been doing a fluid change to get the Castrol tranny fluid out of it. Been using Honda dw 1 every change. I took ur advice and bought a filter for it. Never knew about other sensors. The diagram helps thanks. I appreciate the help. Drove it to work last week and for the exception of the slight delay of shift from 3rd to 4th, it's been doing ok. Makes me wonder if I just prolonged tranny going out. But if there is a chance to save it, I'm all for it. Like I said. Car only has 125,000 miles on it
Old 01-16-2016, 05:12 PM
Drifting

I would continue to purge the trans of the Castro atf. Say another 2x3, one with every motor oil change.

A/B Pressure Solenoid and 0-rings. Defective pipes and/or O-rings will definitely cause delay in shifts, shudders, or flares and same with the solenoid.

3 to 4 Gear Delay

The parts that should help are...

1. Shift C Solenoid.

2. Pressure A/B Solenoid.

3. 4th Clutch Pressure Switch.

... in order of importance. Besure the connectors are sound and clean.

Last edited by 01acls; 01-16-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

Hello Becl,
I believe I have the exact same problem. Did you find any solution yet?
Old 09-21-2017, 02:49 PM
Drifting

Add 2 doses of XADO AT EX120 to the ATF. This have save me the cost of $2500 trans replacement. This will work if your trans is in operating condition.